test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 219: "No Win Situations"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 219: "No Win Situations" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Tribbles219.png

Mav from STOked Radio joins us for another week full of discussions on the recent news from Star Trek Online, Star Trek Timelines and a whole lot more.

We also interview Star Trek Anthology where they put the record straight about other production's input into new proposed fan production guidelines as claimed by Alec Peters from Star Trek Axanar!

The topics discussed this week are:
  • Star Trek Online news,
    • Foundry Challenge from Foundry Roundtable,
    • Events and Giveaways,
    • New Console UI,
    • Episode Introductions,
    • Agents of Yesterday Expansion,
    • Role Play Blog
  • Star Trek Timelines (1:10:20),
  • Star Trek News (1:29:58),
  • Interview with Unofficial Star Trek Production Star Trek Anthology (1:47:47),
    • Star Trek Anthology,
    • Star Trek Axanar,
    • The truth about Alec Peter's claims of creating Guidelines on Fan Productions with other Unoffical Productions
  • Other News,
  • and more!

Our community questions this week are:
1. What do you think of the new Console UI and would you use it on the PC?
2. Do you have any questions for Thomas "the CrypticCat" Maronne?
3. Do you have any questions for Star Trek: Anthology?
GiveawayLegacyOfRomulusStarterPack.png
Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say. And feedback to us now and be entered in to a prize draw to get yourself a Star Trek Online Legacy of Romulus Starter Pack, Zen and Lockbox keys. Rules are here: http://holosuitemedia.com/tiefeedbackgiveaways2016/ - Just reply to this post to enter.

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

LLAP

Comments

• colobvious#3624 colobvious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    1. What do you think of the new Console UI and would you use it on the PC?
    I don't have a console, but I've read the articles and seen the screenshots. The console UI looks nice and efficient, but as I've already become quite accustomed to the PC UI (and customized it a bit), I wouldn't start over with a new one. I'd never be able to remember where I put everything...
    2. Do you have any questions for Thomas "the CrypticCat" Maronne?
    Are there any plans to update/replace the demorecord feature? Don't get me wrong, even though I'm just learning how to use it I love it. So much untapped potential there. Also, along the same lines, are there any plans to allow foundry authors to insert cutscenes? Especially if created with the demorecord?
    3. Do you have any questions for Star Trek: Anthology?
    This is the first I've heard of Star Trek: Anthology. Timberwolf retweeted them, and I just went to check out their website. Why haven't I heard of ya'll til now and where have you been all my life? :)
    Colonel Obvious
    - Fleet Admiral
    - Executive Officer, 12th Fleet
    - Old Guy
    sup.jpg
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    1.) The idea of having wheels is fine. However, even if they were to follow something similar to what Final Fantasy XIV does with its controller support (to which I admit is very well made), it's just not for everyone, including me. I will always prefer a mouse and keyboard for these type of games. I don't care if it's added to the PC version as an option for those who prefer a controller, but I'm going to be very upset if it ends up being a forced change.

Also, it wasn't mentioned on the blog, but there are screenshots that appear to show a shooter mode in space combat, similar to the shooter mode we have in ground combat. Like with the UI itself, I hope this isn't forced because I loathe shooter mode on ground.

I don't plan on even playing the console version as I don't even own a PS4 or an Xbox One. I also have no interest in starting all over from scratch and repurchasing everything that I have already have from both the C-Store and the exchange. So any news about the console versions of STO doesn't interest me, but again, I hope those who prefer how they currently play aren't affected.

Kudos to the LCARS aesthetics. It looks fantastic.

2.) I guess I have a minor one, but feel free to skip this one. Assuming that you don't own the TOS outfits from the C-Store, will Temporal Agent toons be able to keep their TOS outfit and have it available in the tailor? If yes, will they be bound to those toons or will they become an account unlock?

Edit: After finding out that Thomas is a 2D/3D artist, I'll ask something more appropriate. I'd like to first thank you for the fantastic model revamps that you've been doing for many of the ships.
    tumblr_n0hi8iWA5R1s00ervo2_250.gif

I love every single one of them.

My question is this. If the assault cruiser were to get a t6 version, will the Sovereign skin also get revamped as well? It is my favorite canon ship. I would be ecstatic to see one.

3.) Not really, no. Thumbs up for following the law though.
    Post edited by chozoelder2nd on
    SP9Pu.gif
  • alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Okay guys, let's dive right in.

Community questions:

1.) At first, I did not look at the UI, because consoles... *shrug* But since it's a community question, I went back and read the article.
    It's... rather rudimentary. I would expect something like that from a shooter. Or some hack'n'slash like Diablo.
    Let me do some backtracking here... My first MMO was WoW. My main was a healer. I participated in raids when you still needed 40 people for that. I got used to having a bajillion hot-bars and HP-bars and warnings and so on on my screen. Sure, basically every MMO toned it down quite a bit and I agree it was too much at first, but this UI just looks too basic for me.
    It seems fine for what it is supposed to do, but even if the PC UI was changed to this more LCARSy look I would want to keep the look and feel of a PC UI. (Smaller font size, more customizable...)

2.) Well, first off, it's always nice to remind people of how Thomas got to work for Cryptic. I really enjoy that story.

Is there any artistic department left at Cryptic that you have not been a part of?

What was the most enjoyable/satisfying work you've completed so far (that you can talk about...)?

Could you let yourself and the other artists (Environment, ship, UI and whatever I might have missed) know that all of you are regularly outdoing yourselves? ;)
    I mean, just because I have issues with the existence of something does not mean that I can't appreciate the artistic effort behind it...

What would you (Thomas the Cat, NOT Thomas the Cryptic Cat!) like to see in-game? Just to repeat, this question is for the player/Star Trek fan, NOT the Cryptic employee!

3.) Uhm just keep us updated on the progress? I mean, I would like to see something finished and so far there seems to be a lot in production/development.

STOrytime part... 5 (I think?): Spoilers, sweetie!

Okay, listen, I don't mind spoilers. And if I wanted a movie to surprise me, I would not read a movie review. But for some reason there are movie reviews out there that are supposedly spoiler-free and then there are spoiler-reviews. So when you talk about an episode on tribble being a prequel/sequel/sidequel to some TOS episode, people might get upset because they did not want to know that. Yes, people can be weird.

But that's not the point I wanted to make, you see, a week or two ago, Trendy tweeted about getting called out for closing/deleting (I don't remember which...) a thread that involved talking about data-mined stuff.

First, have you tribbles ever heard of the "Streisand effect"? If you did, the question should be self-explanatory. ;)

Second, like I mentioned before... #IStandWithDataMiners
    Let me backtrack. Again... My first MMO was WoW. And there was a site. MMO-Champion. That guy did some data-mining. Guess what, Blizzard did not immediately shut him down.
    Over the years they not only let him do his stuff, they just gave him a few hundred beta keys (for the WoW: Legion beta) which means right now MMO-Champion is holding a contest that lets people win those keys. I should probably add that he does report on data-mined stuff, but whenever there is a supposed "leak", he might mention its existence but that's about it...
    People talk about the stuff he posts (on his site) on the official forums. And when people get angry/hostile, Blizzard replies that data-mining is not an exact science. Or that something got into the patch that was not ready to go in yet. Or that those numbers are placeholders. And so on.

People like me, who don't mind spoilers, go to these sites to get sneak-peaks into what's coming up. It helps to keep people like me invested. It helps to build/maintain hype/excitement.
    It helps to throw stuff out there, see whether it floats or sinks and then Blizzard can "blame" the data-miners or the placeholders or whatever.
    There's datamining sites for SWTOR, I don't actually read the BioWare forums, so I don't know their policy over there, but those sites still exist.

You know, all those times we talked about "the mouse" and how they would have handled JJ, Axanar and the Star Trek IP...
    Let me throw something out there:
    Would you want Perfect World marketing to work more like (Activision-) Blizzard does? I think I would.