test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FACT: There are MORE than 6 missions in the Agents of Yesterday TOS expansion

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    how do we have confirmation? All Ive seen is one blog announcing *A* cross faction mission. Which we knew was coming.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    how do we have confirmation? All Ive seen is one blog announcing *A* cross faction mission. Which we knew was coming.

If they weren't, you'll have people with existing toons whining that there's nothing for them and that they're being forced to make yet more new characters to get the new (and hotly anticipated) stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the new stuff is cross faction. Got to throw the KDF and the roms a bone, no?
    I need a beer.

Got to throw the KDF and the roms a bone, no?
    no they just throw us fed content we're allowed to play
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User

Which is exactly what I was saying. I guess you missed the idiom?
    I need a beer.

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Well, we've had numerous intentionally vague "there's more than six missions guys" comments by devs, but at the same time repeated dodging of the question regarding TOS character exclusive missions. You'd think that a week after Battle of Caleb IV kicked off all these concerns they'd announce a TOS only mission, if there were indeed more coming, yet instead they announce a cross faction mission, and a low level one at that. So imho it's really not looking good for those wanting more TOS faction exclusive content.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    how do we have confirmation? [...]

If there was more to the TOS faction exclusively, we'd have gotten a hint in this announcement. But the new mission is level 19 (so it's levelling content), and it is cross-faction.

ahh so you're jumping at ghosts and building your own hype train to run off with and there is no confirmation.. Thx for clarifying.

Which is exactly what I was saying. I guess you missed the idiom?

thats not a bone... thats more an afterthought.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    Sci Fi writers have an excellent sense of scale, and the technologies of their respective franchise.
    You clearly have not read the TVTropes entry Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale. You'll find quite a few entries that have nothing whatsoever to do with Hollywood...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User

If there was more to the TOS faction exclusively, we'd have gotten a hint in this announcement. But the new mission is level 19 (so it's levelling content), and it is cross-faction.

ahh so you're jumping at ghosts and building your own hype train to run off with and there is no confirmation.. Thx for clarifying.

I wonder if you will still say that when we have the actual content on Holodeck and it, surprise, suprise, is exactly the way people conclude.
    And I wonder if you'll acknowledge your error when we have the actual content on Holodeck and it, surprise, surprise, is exactly what the developers said it was. I won't hold my breath, though.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I haven't exactly been following this thread, but I don't think that there being more than 6 missions plus tutorial was actually in dispute. It's that the TOS captains were being advertised as just as much of a faction as the Romulans, who had close to 30 unique missions. In reality, the TOS captains just have their tutorial and 6 missions to themselves. The rest of the "more than 6 missions" are faction neutral missions. (Which is still nice, but just not what people were expecting.)

What's really the issue is that the TOS captains aren't as much of a faction as the Romulan "fraction". They're really more of a sub-faction. The marketing team would have done better to advertise them as such.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The marketing team wanted to. Some developer did, however, miscommunicate in a P1 interview.

Yeah, this. The official material communicated by marketing so far in no way says that they are their own faction, only interviews have referred to them as such. In retrospect, they should probably be considered an "alternative origin story" for Fed characters rather than referred to as a faction. I'd be OK with that. This is why they limit communication; I am sure internally they are referred to as a faction because their programming works with them that way, but if they really do meld in after the first arc and get no further exclusive content, they should probably have come up with a better name when talking about them.

I wonder if you will still say that when we have the actual content on Holodeck and it, surprise, suprise, is exactly the way people conclude.

Oh I fully expect it to be disappointing, and possibly even only 6 episodes, but until I have PROOF, I am not gonna jump on the hype train.
  • mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Based on my reading, it seems there are 2 completely different issues/questions people are discussing:

Issue 1: how many faction exclusive(key word) missions will the TOS faction have? These are missions that only the TOS faction can play; no one else.

Issue 2: how many missions(total) will the expansion include? This number would include both faction exclusive + faction neutral missions that all factions can play.

Personally, I only care about issue #1, and I have yet to read any comment from a dev that has stated there will be more than 6 faction exclusive missions for the TOS faction. And nothing the OP of this thread has posted has addressed that specific question.
    And nothing the OP of this thread has posted has addressed that specific question.

I think the devs have realized the error and now know the flames will be FELT from space, let alone seen, once they confirm this. Now they're in full 'heads in the ground' mode to avoid it as long as possible
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Based on my reading, it seems there are 2 completely different issues/questions people are discussing:

Issue 1: how many faction exclusive(key word) missions will the TOS faction have? These are missions that only the TOS faction can play; no one else.

Issue 2: how many missions(total) will the expansion include? This number would include both faction exclusive + faction neutral missions that all factions can play.

Personally, I only care about issue #1, and I have yet to read any comment from a dev that has stated there will be more than 6 faction exclusive missions for the TOS faction. And nothing the OP of this thread has posted has addressed that specific question.

Issue Nr 2 isn't really an "Issue" however ... since nobody really cares (last time I checked) ... there are just some Fanboys deliberatly misquoting other people to make it seem "Issue 1" is actually "Issue 2" ...

PS : To make it perfectly clear ... Hey it's new & free Story-Content, which is fine & wonderful ... the question however is ... should I bother to actually "invest" ... i.E. buy new Ships, level a new Toon etc etc ... which you'll either have to pay with Zen ... or at least "additional time" ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    So going through the actual official information given to us, let's consider a few things:

"In addition to the ability to create a brand new Star Trek: The Original Series Starfleet captain"
    "Players can create brand new captains in the Original Series era and begin their own journey in command of their very own 2270 era starship."

(Emphasis mine)

This is the information that the marketing folks vetted for us to see. The calling it a faction, the implication that this is anything more than an alternative starting point for your characters, that's all from interviews. Interviews where people like Zero actually stated that they weren't sure of where the team landed on things.

I've stated that this feels like a bait and switch, but looking at the official communications, I am reconsidering that opinion. It looks like they very deliberately said that you start as a TOS toon, and nothing more, which it appears is what they delivered. I think that the flames visible from space are a side effect of devs who are giving interviews but are limited in what they can talk about and not fully informed about what they can talk about. We are all excited and want all the info now, but we have a month and a half or so to go and need to wait until we get blogs about things so we don't get freaked out.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    GEKO:
    "It is a new faction - we were coy about calling it a new faction in the press release - there was some marketing concerns about the connotations of it, but it's at least as much of a new faction as Romulans. It's just technically still Federation, right, it's just Federation from 2270 instead of 2409. It's a new faction, a new starting experience with its own arc, its own content specifically for them."Source: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po269/
    (at around the 24 minute mark)

"At least as much of a new faction as Romulans" has some holes in it, though. How exactly are they going to make TOS captains something more that mere TOSFeds?
    • Will TOS captains remain independent, or will they have an ally? If they are an ally-/mini-faction, would we even have a choice of ally like the Romulans?
    • Will TOS captains have access to Fed ships, and will Feds have access to TOS ships? If so, wouldn't that make them less distinct than Romulans?
    • Will TOS captains have factional variations of gear/ships, such as their own take on a Task Force Omega sets or separate "pack" ship variants (making later offerings 4-/12-packs!), or will the be limited to using ally (or even Fed-only) versions?
    • Will there be different dialog for a TOS captain than a Fed, unlike many missions for FedRoms (and a few where all factions including the KDF sound like Federation)?
    • Will entire later episodes/arcs involve interaction with the TOS leadership and their acquisition of a major technological resource? Mabye the time travel equivalent of a Dyson Sphere?
    Making TOS close to the Romulans is pretty ambitious... but realistically I'm just going to assume that we're getting TOSFeds; that way I can be suitably impressed if AoY really does work out as something more (rather than less) than LoR as far as faction identity. I suspect those questions are the "connotations" referred to in the quote, as well as potential expectations of long-term support/expansion of factional assets. :wink:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    GEKO:
    "It is a new faction - we were coy about calling it a new faction in the press release - there was some marketing concerns about the connotations of it, but it's at least as much of a new faction as Romulans. It's just technically still Federation, right, it's just Federation from 2270 instead of 2409. It's a new faction, a new starting experience with its own arc, its own content specifically for them."Source: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po269/

"At least as much of a new faction as Romulans" has some holes in it, though. How exactly are they going to make TOS captains something more that mere TOSFeds?
    • Will TOS captains remain independent, or will they have an ally? If they are an ally-/mini-faction, would we even have a choice of ally like the Romulans?
    • Will TOS captains have access to Fed ships, and will Feds have access to TOS ships? If so, wouldn't that make them less distinct than Romulans?
    • Will TOS captains have factional variations of gear/ships, such as their own take on a Task Force Omega sets or separate "pack" ship variants (making later offerings 4-/12-packs!), or will the be limited to using ally (or even Fed-only) versions?
    • Will there be different dialog for a TOS captain than a Fed, unlike many missions for FedRoms (and a few where all factions including the KDF sound like Federation)?
    • Will entire later episodes/arcs involve interaction with the TOS leadership and their acquisition of a major technological resource? Mabye the time travel equivalent of a Dyson Sphere?
    Making TOS close to the Romulans is pretty ambitious... but realistically I'm just going to assume that we're getting TOSFeds; that way I can be suitably impressed if AoY really does work out as something more (rather than less) than LoR as far as faction identity. I suspect those questions are the "connotations" referred to in the quote, as well as potential expectations of long-term support/expansion of factional assets. :wink:
    • Has been answered many times already, no you ally with 2409 Federation, no choices
    • Has been answered many times already, TOS get access to all the toys once they hit the "present", and Fed players get anything from the Z-store thats labelled fed, including the TOS stuff.
    • Roms dont even get that :P
    • Please they cant even be bothered to do that for the existing ones
    • weird but interesting question
  • tyrionjkirktyrionjkirk Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    I know I was fully aware our TOS character would eventually merge with current time line. Almost every mission in the current game is from the 2409-2410 time. I was just hoping for more TOS missions as I really wanted to create a TOS character to enjoy that time period. I am hoping some of the cross faction missions take us back to the TOS time period but I am not holding my breath. The way it looks KDF or Rom only players may not have a lot to worry about believing this is a fed only release as this only appears to be an alternate starting point for a regular Fed character. These new characters will quicky be thrown into the same grind as any other fed character. I have lots of time still to see if I want to invest in this Temporal Agent packs. Is the new free content worth this required paid content to fill in the lack of free TOS ships as we level from 10 to 40. Which is free for all other factions. Lets hope good news is still a head.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    GEKO:

• Has been answered many times already, no you ally with 2409 Federation, no choices
    • Has been answered many times already, TOS get access to all the toys once they hit the "present", and Fed players get anything from the Z-store thats labelled fed, including the TOS stuff.
    • Roms dont even get that :P
    • Please they cant even be bothered to do that for the existing ones
    • weird but interesting question

Heh, sort of my point. We pretty much know the answers to those questions (other than the last, which is pretty much up to the writing staff and the direction the overall story takes), so it seems as if that particular quote should be removed to improve the "truthiness" of the OP. TOSFeds are to Fed as bacon is to pork. :tongue:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Will "it's at least as much a new faction as Romulans" become the new "Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it" I wonder?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I think it was Geko that screwed the pooch here. i was fine with an "expansion" IE several new episodes. then it became a "faction" and i shook my head. how can a federation toon be of another faction than FEDERATION??

I think we are all better off just understanding this is an expansion, not much different than DR, and simply has a alternate start for the new toons. the thing i have not figured out, is with only 6 TOS specific episodes, where do these guys come into play?

T2 Temporal Science Vessel Daedalus Class

A starship design from the early years of Starfleet, the Daedalus-class Science Vessel still serves with distinction.

T3 Temporal Escort Perseus Class
    A versatile escort from the 23rd century,

T4 Temporal Cruiser Gemini Class
    Known for a distinctive set of four warp nacelles, the Gemini-class Temporal Cruiser inspired future starship engineers when designing the Constellation-class Cruiser.

T5 Temporal Battlecruiser Ranger Class
    The agile Ranger-class was one of the most respected battlecruisers of the 23rd century.
    Spock.jpg

edited June 2016
    I think it was Geko that screwed the pooch here.

*If* its a 6 mission "faction" then he didn't TRIBBLE it so much as sodomize it to an unrecognizable state

edit:
    really? screwed is fine but sc rew is censored??
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    It's free content. Not sure what's up with the uproar. If people are pissed because they bought a pack, it's on them for jumping the gun without solid information. If I remember correctly, LoR wasn't all on Tribble.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    saedeith wrote: »
    It's free content. Not sure what's up with the uproar. If people are pissed because they bought a pack, it's on them for jumping the gun without solid information. If I remember correctly, LoR wasn't all on Tribble.

The uproar is Geko called the TOS Starfleet as much of a new faction as Romulans. So that means about 30 missions and 15 ships dedicated just for the TOS Starfleet. There might be 30 missions for the expansion, but likely the majority of them will be cross-faction missions instead of TOS Starfleet missions.

Having a 1-10 or 1-20 leveling system for new micro-factions would be an interesting way to add the Cardassians and other popular groups that Cryptic doesn't have time to give the same treatment as the Romulans. Personally, I would love to be able to fly a Borg Cooperative Sphere and having 6 missions and a few ships would be a cheaper alternative.