test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Characters being left handed

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Well i shoot, play pool & write left handed but throw & use a bat of any type right handed gess im just weird....:)

no its called ambidexterity and many lefties get some level of that because everything is built for right handed people. I pitch and bowl right handed, bat left handed and shoot pool with either. Never learned to write with my right hand tho
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    What about, all us Ambidextrous Peoples???

I can go either way.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Oh man! You are sooo lucky I try really hard to keep my mind out of the gutter around here due to the children.

Please contact your nearest chapter of the Organization of Humans stopping the Cruelty and Revenge to Ambidexterous Peoples.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    I've always had to come up from the sewer, to get to the gutter.
    >:)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    daveyny wrote: »
    I've always had to come up from the sewer, to get to the gutter.
    >:)

wait theres a gutter above us?
    edited May 2016
    Seriously for just a moment?

This is one of those tiny insignificant little Quality of Life issues which show players(customers) a game company cares.
    I find over the years in this game it is not the ginormous things which jar me enough to stop playing. It is the aggregate of the small things, such as my character being unable to do things left handed, which ruin the experience for me and make me hold onto my money.

Think back for a moment. About all the PC and console games you've played. Wasn't it always the little things, those that rounded out the character you were playing, which made the game better? Yeah, I know this is probably so far down the To Do list it cannot be seen. And yeah I know there are truckloads of other things this game needs to have or have repaired. But still, making players able to have their Captains be left handed as well as right handed cannot be all that hard to accomplish, can it?

#RightiesForLefties
    If not having a left handed video-toon ruins a game for you, I seriously think it's time for you to go back to playing board games.
    <shrug>
    edited May 2016
    That's not a bad idea, actually. Been meaning to dust off my Avalon Hill collection for old times' sake. Squad Leader FTW! And no worries about my internet connection or the servers going down either. And no, the above does not ruin the game for me. Lifelong Star Trek fan here. I just think it would be a nice gesture on Cryptic's part. Doubt it will happen, though.
    I like UNO and TROUBLE.
    B)
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Rights for lefties? What's left to be right about? This should be left right here.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    My characters shoot right handed but throw grenades left-handed, (something a righty would never do.)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Seriously for just a moment?

This is one of those tiny insignificant little Quality of Life issues which show players(customers) a game company cares.
    I find over the years in this game it is not the ginormous things which jar me enough to stop playing. It is the aggregate of the small things, such as my character being unable to do things left handed, which ruin the experience for me and make me hold onto my money.

Think back for a moment. About all the PC and console games you've played. Wasn't it always the little things, those that rounded out the character you were playing, which made the game better? Yeah, I know this is probably so far down the To Do list it cannot be seen. And yeah I know there are truckloads of other things this game needs to have or have repaired. But still, making players able to have their Captains be left handed as well as right handed cannot be all that hard to accomplish, can it?

#RightiesForLefties

How many games are doing something like this?

I suspect it might be insignificant for players, but not from the game side. Lots of animation that probably would need to be mirrored - except those that don't. (You still salute with the same hand, but any weapon shooting animation needs to be mirrored.) Sounds like work requiring a lot of diligence and time... but little actual thought. The least fun type of work. Don't wish that on anyone.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    beeing lefthanded myself I think it would be a nice Feature. But will it be worth the 137 new Bugs that will come when cryptic would implement that? No
    Also it's not a Feature that is included in any other game I know, so I am pretty much used to seing the gun on the right Hand of the screen
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    Being a left handed person myself. I support this. Give us an option to check. To allow a person to be left or right handed.

Would require new animations so I don't think it will happen. but I support it nevertheless, A proud left handed person I am.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    Oh hai there!

As a left handed person I actually don't find this an important matter to delegate animation time to. Sure, if there was NOTHIGN else to work on fine so be it, but overall I can just handle the fact that the galaxy apparently is made up of right handers :tongue:
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    In Mirror Universe we is all right-handed.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    In Mirror Universe we is all right-handed.​​

actually if it was a proper MU then everyone would be lefties
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Tell this to Lokai and Commissioner Bele. Left and Right was very important to them.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
    As a left-handed individual, I'd love to see MMOs offer the ability to choose.

That being said, giving the option to choose between left and right hand dominance would mean duplicating most of our ground animations to support it. Having to double-up on said art gets quickly takes up a substantial amount of time, and would require additional resources to maintain the trend for animations going forward.

Also, where, if at all, do you draw the line? Are there left-handed phasers and tricorders? Left-handed rifles? Do you use either your left or right hand to motion in cut-scenes? What about emotes?
  • x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User

That being said, giving the option to choose between left and right hand dominance would mean duplicating most of our ground animations to support it. Having to double-up on said art gets quickly takes up a substantial amount of time, and would require additional resources to maintain the trend for animations going forward.

Also, where, if at all, do you draw the line? Are there left-handed phasers and tricorders? Left-handed rifles? Do you use either your left or right hand to motion in cut-scenes? What about emotes?

Quick hack of a solution... mirror the bones of the character via a selector in the costume along the left-right plane while also mirroring the skin itself (so it appears correctly).

Just a thought.
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    x3of9 wrote: »

Quick hack of a solution... mirror the bones of the character via a selector in the costume along the left-right plane while also mirroring the skin itself (so it appears correctly).

Just a thought.
    Then all cutscene animations would move in the opposite direction.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    A lot of offensive prejudicial comments here. You cant say the N word here so alI cant imagine making these insulting comments.
    Clearly left-handed "racism".
    @jodarkrider @askray alert for redaction

Left handed people are the ones using their right minds.

I support left handed characters in all games including this one, but i always wanted that in FPS games like Call of Duty.

Data was left handed, so eat that haterz.

Racism? Really? I wasn't aware that lefties suddenly became their own race....

And the reason why you don't see this in most games is simple. A lot of animations would have to be done twice. Or in other words, quite some money/worktime would have to be invested. And that just isn't happening for such a little gain.

Unreal Tournament had left-handed player characters in 2004. They literally just mirrored the animation.
    Well i shoot, play pool & write left handed but throw & use a bat of any type right handed gess im just weird....:)

no its called ambidexterity and many lefties get some level of that because everything is built for right handed people. I pitch and bowl right handed, bat left handed and shoot pool with either. Never learned to write with my right hand tho
    Ain't that the truth. Southpaws REPRESENT!
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

or you could just freaking mirror flip it
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I don't see why this can't be possible. Though since there would be no profit in it, Cryptic will never do it.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I'm finding it impossible to make a joke about this without following it up with a political joke, so I'll just avoid that altogether, lol.

On a serious note, I think most games ignore this because it's extra work for very little gain and not really worth it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    If Nintendo won't even do it properly then I highly doubt Cryptic would. For example The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess Link is left handed but for the Wii version (you know motion controls etc) they decided to make him right handed so they took the Gamecube version and mirrored the entire game so.....yeah.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Is this worth all this effort? One of the reasons they dumped the Star Clusters was the graphics consumed too much space. Do we really want to add more?

What happens if you mirror flip-it when you go to the Mirror Universe? Are you back to being right-handed? :)

Full Disclaimer: I am left-handed. The Nuns tried to make me right-handed, but my mother would have none of that. But for this topic I take the Rhett Butler approach.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • horgahnhorgahn Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    daendae wrote: »
    So this is a rather trivial suggestion, but can we be allowed to set our characters on ground maps and stuff to hold things in our left hand instead of always our right? I realize this doesn't really impact lefties (like myself) since I can just go with the mmo-style thing with the abilities grid (and pressing 1,2, and 3), but I just thought it would be a really nice feature in the game if we could hold things in our left hands.

What do you all think?

I'd like this.
    Go Team Venture!
    Wʬ  g+  f  t

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2016

or you could just freaking mirror flip it
    It seems to me as though it'd be possible to have a flag for reversing animations... but it'd probably require a fundamental change to the engine to add a function for left/right mirroring. I've seen games do it, but... they're coded to be able to reverse models at a fundamental level.

As for me... I'm more or less right handed, but I often try to do things with my left just to see if I can. One thing I read as a child was a hypothesis that handedness is basically a habit that develops when we're too young to really understand it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg