test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP: Keep or remove? Discussion- SUPPORT! SHARE! MAKE IT KNOWN!!!

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    There is no way to fix the current PvP without serious effort. What STO could do is expand on its non-combat PvP based on the various sports and activities from Star Trek since they don't need any serious balancing. We already have the summer and winter race. Shuttle races, Parisses Squares, Poker, Dom-jot, Tri-dimensional Chess, Hoverball, Orbital Skydiving, Velocity, Kal-toh, and others are all possibilities. Except for Shuttle races, there is no need for balancing since everyone would start with the same equipment and have to rely on skill.
  • memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Pvp will become a serious issue for cryptic very soon. Console players like my league are command we will demand it.
  • memnoch#6978 memnoch Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    *coming
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    If they wanted to fix PvP, one of the quickest fixes would be to expand the size of the field, and number of players on each side (25-30 per side), the larger number of players help to "normalize" the variations in players, and resuce th power of premade groups becuase the larger quantity is harder to control.
  • quantumquantonum#7698 quantumquantonum Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Here is a draft of the email I will send to Cryptic, feel free to reply on this post if you have any recommendations.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1joKJ6tMXmAPwj-5IP3zj993ACbr5vQ9C1rK-8cyp1G4/edit

I will send this to Cryptic by Wednesday, so don't wait until the last minute to say something.
  • risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    The "community" you speak of is the same one that has demanded elite content be handed to them on a platter and have thus led to NPCs becoming as interesting as bricks. They are the same community that has opposed fair/balanced gameplay (something the PvP community fought for and only now some of the majority have started to ask for too. Way to be 5 years late to that party!), the upkeep of the trinity so that teamwork and cooperation is emphasised as a key aspect of gameplay and I can go on if you want.
    The PvE community is the one who have facilitated the min-maxing, noob-stomping gankers everyone hates so much.
    Therefore, seeing as the track record of the PvE community is laughably full of bad requests, it's about time that the minority that has cared more about the fun and balance aspect of this game be aloud to voice their opinion.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    There have been countless posts on how to fix PVP. I will repeat my ideas. 1) PVP should be spun off onto it's own server like Tribble or Redshirt. 2) Nothing in PVP impacts PVE as far as gear nerfs or buffs or visa versa. 3) All Ships are box stock Tier 5 No C-store or Lock Box ships or T5-U 4) All consoles and weapons are restricted to common grade level 10 no crafted no epic no rare etc. This will eliminate several things 1) It will no longer be a match where a Wallet Whale dominates. 2) It will be skill that determines the winner not the gear or ship 3) It will no longer be a DPS rules arena but a true skill arena 4) it will teach tactics instead of space bar spamming 5) it will bring in players who otherwise would not do PVP due to the nurmerous flaws in PVP as it is now.
    edited May 2016
    I vote to keep PvP the way it is. I have maybe won 2 or 3 solo matches out of hundreds.
    PVP now is where really high level people can get together and show their stuff, and thats good for me because I can learn something that NPC's can't teach me.
    I can do 15k dps, perhaps I would like to have an even dps match. But I would like to keep the option of playing against the best.
    So in other words you enjoy being trounced by wallet whales. You also feel wallet whales are the best. Very interesting as a great majority of mega high dps players are not necessarily the best they win by thier gear not thier skills and by building a cookie cutter build they got off the web not be learning how to do things on thier own. If thats your thing fine go for it but that is everything that is wrong in PVP today. It is not a test of how good you are but how good a wallet build is. PVP right now is most definetly play to win. If you think otherwise take a good look at how expensive the winning builds are. All epic builds aren't cheap in time or dilth or real money.
    edited May 2016
    Pvp will become a serious issue for cryptic very soon. Console players like my league are command we will demand it.

You console jockeys will soon have you own little world to play in and to be honest it will make little differnce as PVP goes. PVP is broken and only for a short time will PVP really be fun on consoles until the wallet whales invade it. Come back in 6 months and tell us how good PVP is on a console. You will be saying the same thing we PC's players have for ages that PVP is badly broken with power creep and being unbalenced. As far as unbalenced goes in relation to PVE there never was true balence in Star Trek one side or the other had a strength that was better then the other. Feds had better shields and Torpedoes, and slightly slower turning ships, Klingons more powerful energy weapons more agile ships, Romulans had the Cloak and the massive overwhelming but slow reload Plasma torpedo.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    PvP'ers bought those crappy ships, and playtested them, and were most zealous in their advocacy of balanced variety, (which is to have a broad spectrum of choices without any of those choices being mechanically better than any other.)

PvP'ers were always high spenders in this game. There may not have been many by MMO standards, but they spent real money.

What Cryptic did to the PvP community was the equivalent of having someone stand outside the opening of Star Trek Beyond rejecting every tenth potential ticket purchaser. "Nope, we don't want your money. Go away."
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think Cryptic knows all that. All your theories about their personal preference for or against PvP are mostly speculation and their personal preferences for certain types of gameplay has most likely a lot less effect then you believe it does.

The problem is that they need to find a profitable way to fix PvP. More people playing PvP is no use for Cryptic if it doesn't earn the money.

The whole power creep with reputations, personal traits, starship traits, C-Store and lockbox/promo ships and all that is part of their business model (aka money-making scheme). But it's diametrically opposed to good PvP gameplay.
    To figure out how to have both - the existing business model that is working well for them, and good PvP gameplay, is non-trivial, both in the mere design phase where you think about how you can do it, and in the implementation phase were you have to do all the changes. All that costs already money by binding designer and develpoment resources to the task.
    And then, when it is all said and done, new players need to come and join PvP activities. And then, perhaps, they'll get a return on that investment.

Releasing a new reputation or a new queue probably has far more predictable return of investments...

I think the idea of just multiplying all hit points in PvP by a factor of 10 might have more merit then I gave it credit when I heard first of it... ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    I think Cryptic knows all that. All your theories about their personal preference for or against PvP are mostly speculation and their personal preferences for certain types of gameplay has most likely a lot less effect then you believe it does.

The problem is that they need to find a profitable way to fix PvP. More people playing PvP is no use for Cryptic if it doesn't earn the money.

The whole power creep with reputations, personal traits, starship traits, C-Store and lockbox/promo ships and all that is part of their business model (aka money-making scheme). But it's diametrically opposed to good PvP gameplay.
    To figure out how to have both - the existing business model that is working well for them, and good PvP gameplay, is non-trivial, both in the mere design phase where you think about how you can do it, and in the implementation phase were you have to do all the changes. All that costs already money by binding designer and develpoment resources to the task.
    And then, when it is all said and done, new players need to come and join PvP activities. And then, perhaps, they'll get a return on that investment.

Releasing a new reputation or a new queue probably has far more predictable return of investments...

I think the idea of just multiplying all hit points in PvP by a factor of 10 might have more merit then I gave it credit when I heard first of it... ;)

This logic absolutely overlooks the idea I presented above, in that PvP'ers used to spend money on STO. In fact, it is my belief, (based on the many conversations I had with PvP players in the past and current players of STO in general now,) that PvP players spent more per capita than any other segment of the player base. When PvP was still viable, (though greatly difficult to break into,) it was a certainty that the day a new item was released you would see it in just about every match until its novelty wore off.

I would also like to bring up numerical bias. I believe the size of the former PvP community was vastly overshadowed by the fact that, in order to play PvP, one had to invest considerable time in PvE, on the order of tens of matches in PvE for every PvP match, so that the PvP player could acquire the gear and consumables he would need to remain competitive. PvE players never had to spend a single minute in PvP once they got past the mission that sends them to Kerrat, but every PvP player had to spend many, many hours in PvE just to keep up with the upgrade cycle.

So, would an improved PvP experience make money? At this point Cryptic may have achieved their goal of completely killing any chance of successful PvP in STO. However, the improvements needed to make PvP viable are minimal. Really, it's just a matter of peer matching. If your character has enough experience to have unlocked every trait on the game, the new-to-PvP player should not have to face you in the queues. Once players are facing only other players of similar experience, most of the balance issues go away. Thereafter it's a matter of tweaking, which can be paid off as new PvP'ers join the queues and buy the gear they want to advance to the next level of gameplay.
    brian334 wrote: »
    I think Cryptic knows all that.

idea I presented above, in that PvP'ers used to spend money on STO. In fact, it is my belief, (based on the many conversations I had with PvP players in the past and current players of STO in general now,) that PvP players spent more per capita than any other segment of the player base. When PvP was still viable, (though greatly difficult to break into,) it was a certainty that the day a new item was released you would see it in just about every match until its novelty wore off.

I would also like to bring up numerical bias. I believe the size of the former PvP community was vastly overshadowed by the fact that, in order to play PvP, one had to invest considerable time in PvE, on the order of tens of matches in PvE for every PvP match, so that the PvP player could acquire the gear and consumables he would need to remain competitive. PvE players never had to spend a single minute in PvP once they got past the mission that sends them to Kerrat, but every PvP player had to spend many, many hours in PvE just to keep up with the upgrade cycle.

So,...., which can be paid off as new PvP'ers join the queues and buy the gear they want to advance to the next level of gameplay.

You contrdict yourself here. On one hand you state PVP players "that the day a new item was released you would see it in just about any match" Then you go and say "every pvp player had to spend many many hours in pve just to keep up with the upgrade cycle." This is a contradiction. If said player had to spend hours and hours in PVE to keep up then the day an item was released the would not have it unless the out spent with thier wallets other players. This is the absoulute definition of Pay to Win. Try playing World of Tanks sometime as a new player it all PVP and if you don't dump huge amounts of money before you even do your first battle you are just a target. Zero chance of even learning the basics when you are dead in 10 seconds then have to buy with real money repairs. Yeah great business model but lousy for players new to it. What you are really advocating is the staus que where wallet whales dominate PVP in you very last sentence. In othe words unless you have deep wallets you are not going to have any chance in PVP. Which is one of the huge problems with PVP now, A novice player to a game will not shell out big bucks day one just to have a chance at PVP if said PVP is dominated by people who have spent inordinate amounts ot time and money and take great pleasure in gloating over players who are new to both the game and PVP.
    edited May 2016
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    You contrdict yourself here. On one hand you state PVP players "that the day a new item was released you would see it in just about any match" Then you go and say "every pvp player had to spend many many hours in pve just to keep up with the upgrade cycle." This is a contradiction. If said player had to spend hours and hours in PVE to keep up then the day an item was released the would not have it unless the out spent with thier wallets other players. This is the absoulute definition of Pay to Win. Try playing World of Tanks sometime as a new player it all PVP and if you don't dump huge amounts of money before you even do your first battle you are just a target. Zero chance of even learning the basics when you are dead in 10 seconds then have to buy with real money repairs. Yeah great business model but lousy for players new to it. What you are really advocating is the staus que where wallet whales dominate PVP in you very last sentence. In othe words unless you have deep wallets you are not going to have any chance in PVP. Which is one of the huge problems with PVP now, A novice player to a game will not shell out big bucks day one just to have a chance at PVP if said PVP is dominated by people who have spent inordinate amounts ot time and money and take great pleasure in gloating over players who are new to both the game and PVP.

It is not a contradiction when both things are true. The very same PvP players who were forced by game design to grind for gear also spent money on the new C-store stuff. And there are many things a player of PvP needs/needed which cannot be bought with real world cash, such as weapons, BOffs, DOffs, and consumables. These were required, and didn't come with the new ships like the consoles did.

And, with a token nod to balance in item design, the entire pay2win concept is invalidated, leaving the player with options as far as the customization of his build is concerned without making the grind2play player bait in the piranha tank.

It's not a case of one or the other: both PvP and PvE can thrive in the same game without harming either one.

Note: I'm brian333 on WoT, which I also Beta tested. I invented Cliff Diving on the Provence map the day the Physics upgrade went live.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    This logic absolutely overlooks the idea I presented above, in that PvP'ers used to spend money on STO. In fact, it is my belief, (based on the many conversations I had with PvP players in the past and current players of STO in general now,) that PvP players spent more per capita than any other segment of the player base. When PvP was still viable, (though greatly difficult to break into,) it was a certainty that the day a new item was released you would see it in just about every match until its novelty wore off.

The need to do tons of PvE just to get the gear you need for PvP is certainly a big problem for PvP, too.

Adding marks and elite marks to PvP Queues or dailies would really have been a big help. Maybe it should be one of the starts, really.

But I think the fact that the existing PvP players were willing to spend so much is linked strongly to the low number of remaining active PvPers - there aren't many willing to do all of this. But you have to, or so it feels.
    So, would an improved PvP experience make money? At this point Cryptic may have achieved their goal of completely killing any chance of successful PvP in STO. However, the improvements needed to make PvP viable are minimal. Really, it's just a matter of peer matching. If your character has enough experience to have unlocked every trait on the game, the new-to-PvP player should not have to face you in the queues. Once players are facing only other players of similar experience, most of the balance issues go away. Thereafter it's a matter of tweaking, which can be paid off as new PvP'ers join the queues and buy the gear they want to advance to the next level of gameplay.
    Two observations: Making a good match-making / ranking system is actually not a trivial task.
    The other problem is that you need a sufficient population for that to work. Do we have that?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    It has been stated on multiple podcast interviews that PvP is still on their list but not the top of list - they do intend on getting to it eventually and that it would probably be a whole redesign and a big update. Until then it is very unlikely for anything much to happen to PvP.

Personally I also think that it is also unlikely for them to remove it.
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    polls showed, Players don't like PvP - they forgot to mention "because it is broken". However balancing isn't the biggest Problem.

in any PvP match there was something that apparently was "broken" - till someone found a way of countering it.

I remember, when the scimitar first appeared on the Scene, our Team ran into a Formation of 5 scimitars using fire at will - neither of us survived long. I guess up to now this was the worst beating we ever received.
    Since they changed the BOff Training, it's easier to now Change one ability to add a Feedback pulse if the need arrises.

I have one drainer that has over 300 drain and a few abilities to do just that. I left a few enemies on 0 to most power. But one friend never fell for that - he used some insulatros, a aux battery and had one HE Handy.

I frequently am victim to a friend who wants to test new builds. He always uses extremely specialised builds, Setting DOffs, BOFFs and console to one purpose only. And if that Fails, he is dead.

For nearly every build there is a counter. Most of the People who scream "inbalanced" don't know how to Counter specialised builds. Yes, a pure sniper is absolutely deadly - but most of those are fragile builds that - if you survive the first Counter - die. Same goes if you use FBP (unless they use polarize hull in return).

Now there is a mechanic in place that allows to adjust skills against Players and NPCs - as shown with the flanking Bonus on BOPs or raiders (as if BOPs weren't weak enough in PvP). So if the game was inbalanced they could nerf/enhance certain skills there.

However - as I have probably stated before - the biggest turn Offs for PvP are two Things:
    - LAG
    - no rewards
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Frankly, PvP is unbalanced as all hell.

The only time you get a good battle is if you're against someone with similar gear levels as you and isn't a DPS monster who loves the sneak sneak alpha boom. So... get a couple cruisers with mk XII blue/purple gear, Fleet damage consoles... might have a decent bout.

Or just grab a couple T1s, a couple phasers, and have some moxie.

I agree and think PVP should be kept for the lolz and causal fun which still can be had.

Just becuase pvp always ends up bringing out the worst in some people isn't a reason to remove it entirely. let those who can still pvp as casual fun continue to pvp.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It has been stated on multiple podcast interviews that PvP is still on their list but not the top of list - they do intend on getting to it eventually and that it would probably be a whole redesign and a big update.

They were saying that back when I first played four and a half years ago. And they've been saying it since the game launched, i.e. the better half a decade.

I don't mean to be rude, and I mean no disrespect to you. But I need to say this:
    they do intend on getting to it eventually

No, no they don't. For six years we've heard that they're "going to get to it eventually." I saw a quote that their schedule is entirely filled through at least all of next year. That makes seven years in which they have and will have intended to get to it eventually. All reasons for why aside (patrickngo has already covered this well enough), it is a fact that there is no intention of "getting to it", and it just boils my blood to be told that they'll get to it. As for requiring a redesign/update, that's not much for Cryptic to handle given the numerous revamps and new systems they've done over the years.

Again, no disrespect to you midniteshadow. Just wished to point that out.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • quantumquantonum#7698 quantumquantonum Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    The "community" you speak of is the same one that has demanded elite content be handed to them on a platter and have thus led to NPCs becoming as interesting as bricks. They are the same community that has opposed fair/balanced gameplay (something the PvP community fought for and only now some of the majority have started to ask for too. Way to be 5 years late to that party!), the upkeep of the trinity so that teamwork and cooperation is emphasised as a key aspect of gameplay and I can go on if you want.
    The PvE community is the one who have facilitated the min-maxing, noob-stomping gankers everyone hates so much.
    Therefore, seeing as the track record of the PvE community is laughably full of bad requests, it's about time that the minority that has cared more about the fun and balance aspect of this game be aloud to voice their opinion.

Removed the whole community thing and replaced it with players :)

If anyone else would like to look it over, please do so by tomorrow around noon PDT. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1joKJ6tMXmAPwj-5IP3zj993ACbr5vQ9C1rK-8cyp1G4/edit?usp=sharing

valoreah wrote: »

^ Spot on. Those folk out there who want to see PvP improved need to realize that any design/coding/whatever changes involved with "fixing" PvP are going to need to be monetized heavily in order to justify the time investment.

Interesting idea with PvP, but Cryptic doesn't need to use a lot of money to improve PvP if they can come out with season updates semi-annually. Also, there are ways to make profit off of PvP. For example, PvP can become a reputation-like system. The C-store could sell promo stuff for that reputation.