test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Characters being left handed

daendaedaendae Member Posts: 158 Arc User
So this is a rather trivial suggestion, but can we be allowed to set our characters on ground maps and stuff to hold things in our left hand instead of always our right? I realize this doesn't really impact lefties (like myself) since I can just go with the mmo-style thing with the abilities grid (and pressing 1,2, and 3), but I just thought it would be a really nice feature in the game if we could hold things in our left hands.

What do you all think?

Comments

• jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    I dont want sinister characters on my server.
  • puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    The left handed abnormality was corrected with genetic engineering in 2049.
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians
  • daendaedaendae Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    jade1280 wrote: »
    I dont want sinister characters on my server.

Ah, I see what you did there. Real classy XD
    But I must ask, why not have lefty characters? Why not?
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Because "righties" are always right?

:p
  • jovianusjovianus Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It would probably be trivially easy for a competent coder to do..but this Cryptic, who are still aspiring for the lofty heights of circa 2002 MMO's with wondrous things like placeable AOE's and Pet AI and not requiring a target for non-targeted abilities.

Surely there's a programmer out there who retired around 2003 or so and would be willing to help update STO's code, could probably get them cheap too, just something to keep them busy in retirement.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Genetic Engineering or the Nuns forced all left-handers into being right-handers that came through those schools. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    There is no way, OP, but use your imagination.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Reason: Because the Bene Gesserit witches have worked tirelessly to elimnate left handed characters in MMOs?
    I dunno, It might be fun to play for a while. if it improves the quality of the game for some, then I say go for it.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    If included it would or should be a purely cosmetic thing. And have no abilities, no +/- bonuses on it, etc. Purely cosmetic. Maybe a simple check mark box during character creation or something. Well, that's my two cents/EC on this idea. Good idea.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Being a left handed person myself. I support this. Give us an option to check. To allow a person to be left or right handed.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    daendae wrote: »
    So this is a rather trivial suggestion, but can we be allowed to set our characters on ground maps and stuff to hold things in our left hand instead of always our right? I realize this doesn't really impact lefties (like myself) since I can just go with the mmo-style thing with the abilities grid (and pressing 1,2, and 3), but I just thought it would be a really nice feature in the game if we could hold things in our left hands.

What do you all think?

Freaks, I say!, Freaks!!!!

Really not bothered, don't think its neccessary. I supppose it depends how simple it is to programme into the game.
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Characters throw grenades left-handed but shoot right-handed. Everyone wins. Or loses.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    A lot of offensive prejudicial comments here. You cant say the N word here so alI cant imagine making these insulting comments.
    Clearly left-handed "racism".
    @jodarkrider @askray alert for redaction

Left handed people are the ones using their right minds.

I support left handed characters in all games including this one, but i always wanted that in FPS games like Call of Duty.

Data was left handed, so eat that haterz.
  • darthraiderxxxdarthraiderxxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    A lot of offensive prejudicial comments here. You cant say the N word here so alI cant imagine making these insulting comments.

I support left handed characters in all games including this one, but i always wanted that in FPS games like Call of Duty.

Racism? Really? I wasn't aware that lefties suddenly became their own race....

And the reason why you don't see this in most games is simple. A lot of animations would have to be done twice. Or in other words, quite some money/worktime would have to be invested. And that just isn't happening for such a little gain.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I'm a lefty but this is around item 512 on my wish list.

For those it really bothers, use dual pistols. Problem solved!
    Darthraiderxxx said:
    "Racism? Really? I wasn't aware that lefties suddenly became their own race...."

No not their own race, that why i had racism in quotes. Bigotry is the word i should have used.
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User

Somebody need to calm down a bit.

Cleary the comments I made early wasn't taken with the humour indended, thats the problem with the written word, no inflection, like I said it left hand/right hand really isn't important.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Though I'm nominally right-handed, I use my left hand for precision things and have done for archery (and I imagine I would if holding a gun). How much do I care that my character uses the opposite hand to perform a task than I would in RL? None, because it's a pointless niggle when there are far more important things missing from my game experience, such as the Typhoon or a Skant.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2016
    I'm a left hander and only use my right hand for shouldering a long gun, bowling, and wiping my tush, maybe one more thing.

Power to the left handed people, leftist rights, we shall not be subjugated or looked down upon. We will not go quietly into the night! ;)

Some of the greatest people of our time lead with their left, Brent Spiner, James Cromwell, Wil Wheaton, Jerry Seinfeld, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George HW Bush, Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford, Matt Groening/Bart Simpson, Paul McCartney, Dan Aykroyd, Michaelangelo, Leonardo DiVinci, Mark Hamill, Jim Henson, Robert De Niro....

But honestly i never noticed nor cared when playing STO. As i said, playing FPS it stands out and does effect me.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Some of the greatest people of our time lead with their left, Brent Spiner, James Cromwell, Wil Wheaton, Jerry Seinfeld, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George HW Bush, Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford, Matt Groening/Bart Simpson, Paul McCartney, Dan Aykroyd, Michaelangelo, Leonardo DiVinci, Mark Hamill, Jim Henson, Robert De Niro....

You may want to look at that.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Uh i meant human time.....darn it i wasnt suppose to let it slip that i was a vampire, by the way Joan of Arc was a left hander too, nice young lady.
  • daendaedaendae Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Well, this hasn't exactly turned out how I envisioned it to be...
    I'm a lefty but this is around item 512 on my wish list.
    artan42 wrote: »
    Though I'm nominally right-handed, I use my left hand for precision things and have done for archery (and I imagine I would if holding a gun). How much do I care that my character uses the opposite hand to perform a task than I would in RL? None, because it's a pointless niggle when there are far more important things missing from my game experience, such as the Typhoon or a Skant.​​

I mean, this also isn't at the top of my wish list (T6 Risian Carrier or Science Dreadnought, T6 Orion Slavemaster Battleship as a Dreadnought Carrier or Science Dreadnought, ...) but I think a left handed option would be rather nice to have in character customization.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    tousseau wrote: »
    Because "righties" are always right?

:p
    But only left handed people are in their right mind
    farmallm wrote: »
    Being a left handed person myself. I support this. Give us an option to check. To allow a person to be left or right handed.
    ^this

Dear gods someone kill overly p.c. people like this PLEASE?!!?!
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Alrighty then! Since no one has done it yet, here goes!

#LeftHandsMatter

:::Runs in fear for his mortal soul::: X-D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Alrighty then! Since no one has done it yet, here goes!

#LeftHandsMatter

:::Runs in fear for his mortal soul::: X-D

I laughed a lot more than I should have +2 points
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    Well i shoot, play pool & write left handed but throw & use a bat of any type right handed gess im just weird....:)
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Instead of just left or right handed options, it could be left handed, right handed or ambidextrous.

Edit: (the ambidextrous option could just choose which hand to use each time a ground weapon is activated for use, or to save on calculations it could choose at the start of the ground instance. Since left handed animations would be added for that, ambidextrous could be made to work)

You might be ambidextrous.