test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TOS transporter effect in 25th Century

phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
edited May 2016 in Tribble - Bug Reports
Sorry if this has been reported already, I didn't see it in my, admittedly limited search.

But my TOS captain - after completing the 23rd Century campaign and being removed to the 25th century is still using the TOS "beam" in and out effects instead of the "modern" transporter effect.

I noticed this beaming from Starfleet Academy to ESD, it happens before and after the loading screen, but it appears to happen every time you beam somewhere as well.

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    That effect is baked into your character race.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    The irony is that I like the 23rd Century transporter effect, I've enough characters with the 25 Century effect.

Besides, it's a reminder your character is a Temporal Agent, rather than just another character.
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User

really? Wasn't aware of that. Though, are you certain of this? I seem to recall them changing out the effects on Romulans and Klingons in the past when they were using the incorrect effects, but I could very well be misremembering.

• zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited May 2016

really? Wasn't aware of that. Though, are you certain of this? I seem to recall them changing out the effects on Romulans and Klingons in the past when they were using the incorrect effects, but I could very well be misremembering.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure markhawkman is right and its working as intended. Having a different set of animations for each faction is an easy way to help set them apart, add unique flavor, and is apparently hardwired into characters of that faction. Which is probably why my KDF diplomacy boff beams out red, my embassy romulan boff beams out green and my captain beams out blue... all to the same ship. :* (This is also similar to how on the launch screen Fed's accents are blue, KDF's are red, Rom's are green, and TOS's are now gold/yellow.) So you can probably expect, for example, the 23rd century tricorder to remain as well. Personally, I love those little differences, especially the "classic" transporter effect. But then again I also remember loving the new set they gave the Romulans back in the day (In their case the tricoder in particular) so I guess I just like variety. o:)

As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
    Hmm...according to some patch notes in January, there was an correction to some Romulan transporter effects:
    Cutting the Cord: Romulan captains now use Romulan transporter effect when beaming up after completing the ground mission.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9763293-star-trek-online:-release-notes:-january-28th,-2016

So I'm not certain that it is in fact hardwired to a characters specific faction, as this patch note seems to suggest that it can be set for specific maps.

It's not a huge problem of course, but it seems that if they're now pushing for some semblance of era specificity on the look and feel of things, this would be one of those things that they would want to correct when they have time.

On a somewhat related topic - though not unique to AoY - does anyone else get an a loading screen after they've already loaded into a map?

For example, I beam up to somewhere - loading screen comes up, then switches to me loading into the new map for a few seconds, then another brief loading screen comes up, though I can hear the audio from the map and the beam in sound effects as well.

Just curious if that's a common bug or not. If not, I'll post up in the bug forums (since I can't seem to send a bug report in game at the moment).

Thanks for any feedback.
    garaks31 wrote: »
    it's a nice effect should stay that way

Oh I think it's a great effect, but I don't think the Devs intended for it to stick around after we leave 2270, thus it's a bug.

I'm in the camp that would love to have customizable effects like that too, but that's a another topic for another time.

edited May 2016
    It's not a huge problem of course, but it seems that if they're now pushing for some semblance of era specificity on the look and feel of things, this would be one of those things that they would want to correct when they have time.

Its not a problem at all and again, as stated above, is definitely working as intended. Regardless as to whether it is hardwired or not, the effect was meant to distinguish TOS starfleet as a new faction. There was even a quote from the devs a while ago about how much work they had put into the new faction's new set of animations when someone asked on reddit or twitter (I can't remember where) whether the new faction had them. And TBH "era specificity" went out the window from the start with the fact that 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 29th, and soon to be 31st century ships are all sitting around together above ESD. Not to mention the apparently exceedingly lax starfleet uniform code of the 2410s which can range from 200 year old uniforms to uniforms that haven't been invented yet :*

EDIT: And as one final thought, also remember that type of ship dosen't really matter with transporter type. A Rom in a T1-T4 fed ship still beams up green as they would in a T1-T4 KDF ship. As stated above my main Fed beams their party up in three colors at once and thats not even mentioning how a couple alien races use federation transporters despite having their own type of tech. So even if we end up using a 25th century ship there is a long in-game precedent for our transporter beam to still be the TOS style. Either way, I guess we will find out in July. o:)
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
    I have no idea what the developers intentions are for anything, so rather than assuming, I can only report what appears to be an art error in my opinion. The devs are free to do whatever they want to, or don't want to, with the information.

Unless I hear it from official sources, I never assume that something is definitely working as intended.
  • rejaqrejaq Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm in the it's intended camp for a few reasons.
    1). Romulans do not suddenly change to their Allies transporter FX when they join that faction nor if they use an Ally style ship instead of a Warbird, same for 'non-aligned' ships like the bug.
    2). Any non-faction BOFFS you have use their own FX, most noticable for Romulan Captains this but can be seen if you max out the Diplomacy Tree and get the 'enemy' faction Boff.
    3). This is a bit picky but the link to the release notes above indicats that they were correcting the FX for Romulan Captains in one specific instance to the one that should be in use. That supports that each creatable selection - Fed, KDF, Rom and no TOS - of characters has a specific effect that they should have.

I don't see that TOS characters use the Gold transporter effect as a problem or a bug for the above reasons, even if it means your ship has one really colour conscious transporter to apply the right version to everyone - which is to me a lot more of a bug that they don't all no matter what race use the FX for their aligned faction.

Until launch or a Dev wanders in here and says either way, we won't know.
    quote-you-might-as-well-aim-high-why-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot-when-you-can-shoot-yourself-william-shatner-133-45-82.jpg
    edited May 2016
    Unless I hear it from official sources, I never assume that something is definitely working as intended.

Alright, you got me there. :) I'll admit that since we're talking about a test server taking anything for granted is probably a mistake. As such, and regardless of my stance, my use of "definitely," was a poor choice of words. Again, I guess we'll just have to wait and find out in July. As to your second question, yes I have had that happen, usually right after beaming down to a hub like ESD or the Flotilla. First a standard loading screen then a very brief repeat, perhaps a few seconds. Personally I always assumed it was just a last minute loading of assets or rendering of textures, perhaps ones that had been changed since my last visit, or an automated instance change if the first became full during the initial load... but I don't really know for sure. That info's probably not all that helpful, but on the bright side at least you know your not the only one. o:)

edited May 2016
    Sometimes when you transport during a cutscene it uses a different effect than the normal one. But Transporter animations are basically a race specific emote. Albeit one that is triggered in an atypical manner.

Fun fact: Fed Kobali boffs at least used to use a KDF transporter. :p

As for the extra loading screen... not sure, but there's a similar bug in Champions where sometimes opening the map transfer window will cause a loading screen to appear BEFORE you transfer...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • quentinstonequentinstone Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    On a somewhat related topic - though not unique to AoY - does anyone else get an a loading screen after they've already loaded into a map?

For example, I beam up to somewhere - loading screen comes up, then switches to me loading into the new map for a few seconds, then another brief loading screen comes up, though I can hear the audio from the map and the beam in sound effects as well.

Just curious if that's a common bug or not. If not, I'll post up in the bug forums (since I can't seem to send a bug report in game at the moment).

Thanks for any feedback.

Yep, I've gotten that too. Everytime I am playing on tribble.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User

Thanks for any feedback.

Yep, I've gotten that too. Everytime I am playing on tribble.

I get it on Holodeck, too. Especially when beaming in to ESD or the First City. Kind of annoying.

As for the thread topic, I'm quite sure that the TOS transporter effect is intended. And I frankly would have been pissed if it wasn't included, because this barely-even-a-fraction already has very little to distinguish it. I hope the TOS transporter never goes away.
  • shantavishantavi Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I'm in the 'It's intended' camp. Although, in all honesty, transporter effects should be based on the *ship* being used. The transporter is part of the ship, after all. If I'm using a TOS style ship, I should get TOS transporter animations. Modern ship should be modern animations. Roms using Fed or KDF ships should get Fed/KDF beam up effects, etc. Then, they could even add different transporter effects for Lockbox ships and whatnot.

"Back on topic. Destinii is correct."

(Formerly Destinii until the 'Great PWE Forum Shakeup of 2012')
    I would LOVE to have it customizable. Maybe have special ones as unlocks? such as Rep projects maybe? I have ships encrusted with Borg tech, why not use a Borg transporter too? Or a Kobali one with the Samsar?

I just thought of something... We actually DID get to see something that might have been a Vorgon transporter in TNG.. hmm... :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I would LOVE to have it customizable. Maybe have special ones as unlocks? such as Rep projects maybe? I have ships encrusted with Borg tech, why not use a Borg transporter too? Or a Kobali one with the Samsar?

I just thought of something... We actually DID get to see something that might have been a Vorgon transporter in TNG.. hmm... :p

Transporter effects selectable in the tailor would be awesome indeed ... especially if I could get a TNG transporter effect for one of my toons (was there ever an in-universe explanation for why Voyager had a different transporter effect than all other ships from that era?)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

Transporter effects selectable in the tailor would be awesome indeed ... especially if I could get a TNG transporter effect for one of my toons (was there ever an in-universe explanation for why Voyager had a different transporter effect than all other ships from that era?)

Not really. Different ship design I guess. Bio-neural gel packs were fairly new tech then too.

But yeah, it'd be nice to have it customizable, or at least tied to ship, but that's a pretty unlikely thing.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User

Not really. Different ship design I guess. Bio-neural gel packs were fairly new tech then too.

But yeah, it'd be nice to have it customizable, or at least tied to ship, but that's a pretty unlikely thing.

It is, but being able to choose between the TOS, Movies, TNG, Voyager any maybe one day the JJTrek effects would be cool. (Come to think of it, isn't the materialization of our engineering equipment like turrets and drones already the JJEffect?)
  • trek1968trek1968 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    Aye; that is one "bug" (if that's what it is) that I hope they do not change. I like that my AoY TOS captain uses the 23rd century transporter effect still. :)
  • rumbleprumblep Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I love this too.. if it is a bug, DONT FIX IT! Not ever lol but it would be good if the effect finished before the toon was released to move...
    -Captain Saffrin
    Federation 12th Cavalry
    Deep Space 19/USS Montana
    captsol wrote: »

It is, but being able to choose between the TOS, Movies, TNG, Voyager any maybe one day the JJTrek effects would be cool. (Come to think of it, isn't the materialization of our engineering equipment like turrets and drones already the JJEffect?)
    Yeah, the one with the spinning circles around it? Never really thought about that, but it's true.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing