test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sarr Thein build help - Total noob to Sci damage

dykerasdykeras Member Posts: 326 Arc User
After re-activating my account, I have found this amazing looking ship in my Sci characters ship roster and was wondering what sci-heavy build would be fun to use and also devastating in combat?

I am thinking using either torps or beams and sci abilities such as Grav Well, Tykens rift and Subspace vortex but not sure about the console layout, which is why I am asking for some advice...

Maybe fill the Sci consoles with Grav generators? What about the Eng console slots? And I am not sure I need to fill the full Tac console slots with vulnerability consoles - maybe a few special consoles for torps?

I realise if I use torps I can put all power into Aux, which will help my sci abilities but not sure of the viability of torps (they were terrible when I last played)

Ps, I do not have the Leech console, or the 400M to buy one, so please no build advice asking for one.... I am poor :-P

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    torps are in a a fairly decent place but the carrier can't turn well at all. better to mostly use beams. the Chronometric Calculations, Jem'Hadar sets. in eng use turn dil mine allres consoles or any uni consoles you want. if you have the breen raider buy the Frigates for it.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    sabreracer#4622 sabreracer Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Grav Well is great at crowd control and doing some damage at the same time but it isn't enough on it's own.

Torps can be good but you really need to put everything focused on them alone outside of exotic.

Rep torps are good as are the corresponding rep traits and consoles for some decent set bonuses but something with good turn is best to allow for torp firing arc and also you need your deflector dish to be pointing in the right direction too.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    In a science ship I always put Particle Generators in the science slots for exotic damage. I also have an Exotic Particle Field Exciter console with the [CtrlX] mod. That console can be purchased from the Exchange for a fairly inexpensive price; especially the Mk XII version. The [CtrlX] mod affects the pull of the GW. Only one "Exciter" console can be installed, but it improves exotic damage and increases shield capacity.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Science_-_Exotic_Particle_Field_Exciter

The Mk XII [CtrlX] should probably be 1.5 million EC or less while the Mk XIV [CtrlX] will probably be selling for less than 4 million EC. It's been a while since I checked the prices since I do not need them.

I recommend you purchase a Conductive RSC console with the [CtrlX] mod as well which will improve your turn rate and also improve GW's pull too. The Mk XII version should sell for around 1 million EC or less.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Console_-_Engineering_-_Conductive_RCS_Accelerator

If you use Antiproton or Polaron beam weapons, then you can actually install two omni-directional beam arrays for those energy types. You can install the crafted omni-directional beam array from the Exchange. The Spheres of Influence mission will allow you to select the Ancient Omni-Directional Antiproton beam array as a reward. The Time and Tide mission will let you select the Chronometric Omni-Directional Polaron beam array.

Time and Tide also offers the Chronometric Capacitor tactical console which gives bonuses to Polaron weapons, weapon power, exotic damage and torpedo damage.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Chronometric_Calculations_Set#Chronometric_Polaron_Beam_Array
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    one of my favorite tricks is using a gravwell to cluster enemies then firing a torp spread into the grav well.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    My tac flying the Sarr Theln is using Gravametric torps & Gravity Well 3. Conductive RCS, Exotic Particle Field Exciter, and a few other things to boost shields & abilities. Depending on your damage type, there may be some universal consoles to help boost the damage, so those also fit nice into sci slots. Tac slots are for vulnerability locators, obviously.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I flew my Sar Theln the same way I fly all my sci boats, loaded to the teeth with partigens (EPG skill) and torps.

Don't worry about turn rate too much as you can slot a conductive RCS console to help and with liberal use of grav well the enemy are going to be sitting ducks anyway.
    Fill your sci console slots with fleet R&D lab consoles (you can double up on EPG boosts. Then fill your tac console slots with uni consoles that boost EPG as well. you can boost your EPG skill up to well over 500 this way and it'll make any abilities or weaponry utilizing this skill hit like a nuclear bomb.
    You won't need to worry about energy weapons, you'll be able to do direct to hull damage with science magic. Plus you've got 2 full hangers of fighters etc that will be assisting you and there's a good selection of fighter/shuttle craft available for these.

For specific items you may want:

Gravimetric torp (dyson rep) - creates mini grav wells on impact and can be hilarious fun shooting a spread into a grav well.

Neutronic torp (delta rep) - massive splash damage even on single shot plus radiation plus power drain. Also part of set for the EPIC Isokinetic Cannon.

Particle Emission Plasma Torp - crafted or bought for around 2mil EC of the exchange. creates a plasma could on impact and will slow down any ship caught in it. Boosted be your EPG skill so can literally cook a target with his shields still full. Spread of these into a grav well = raging plasma inferno.

Advanced thoron infused polaron weapon + Bio-neural gel pack (delta rep) parts of set for Isokinetic cannon.

Quantum Phase torp (mission reward) - strips shields within a blast area. Also part of set for the Quantum Destabilizing Beam which is very cool and boostsed by EPG skill. (also you'll want the corresponding weapon and console for this set)

Terran Rep weapons set (3pc's) - boosts torp damage and the torp itself scales up it's damage as the enemy get damaged.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, really helpful... what about warp core, engine etc...? Maybe Terran set with Solanae deflector?
  • Options
    I'd have a look at the Adapted MACO engines plus shield combo, this boosts torp damage by 25% I think, well worth it and the shield is pretty decent too.
    For cores it's a bit more tricky. I currently use the Obelisk Subspace Rift Core, because it allows aux power to max out at 135 making all your science powers that much more powerful.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, aux boosts make Grav Well that much more painful
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    The Sarr Theln has an Lt Eng/intel seat, so you should probably slot Override System Safeties 2. This synergizes well with the Chronometric Polaron set's 3-piece clickable power, which boosts Exotic damage based on Weapon power and Energy weapon damage based on Aux power. As mentioned, this set is pretty attractive if you want to use twin Polaron omnibeams or even combine it with the set that grants Isokinetic Cannon. And if you've unlocked the Krenim Science Vessel, it comes with a console that provides a passive science boff power cooldown that can be helpful since offensive science powers usually have long cooldowns.

If you've played Blood of Ancients, you should have access to Destabilizing Resonance Beam. I like throwing that at enemies trapped in a gravity well, then sending in the torpedoes. It does ok exotic damage and reduces damage resistance for when the torpedoes get there. I think it cuts off if the target moves outside the targeting arc, though.

If you go with torpedoes on a science-y ship, I'd recommend slotting Torpedo Astrometric Synergy, a tier 4 Terran Rep trait that reduces science boff power cooldown when you activate torpedo boff powers.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Im surprised no one has said this, the plasmonic leech is not 400m EC, i just picked one up the other day for a mere 60m EC.

I have to ask. When you say you re-activated your acct and found a ship.....that makes it sound you didnt know you had it or were suprised you own it, an event ship you would have had to work to get. Did you forgot you grinded (ground?) for it? Or what?
  • Options
    Thanks again for advice :-)

I did the event on my Tac captain, but never on my Sci... And as I stated, I re-entered the game and found I could claim the ship on my Sci character through the Events store ... which was nice
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Tachyon beam has been improved a bit, which can help get the torps even more effective faster - but part gens are good (part gen and drain is great if you can manage). Grav well is really good crowd control, and pairs excellently with torpedo spread abilities.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    If you fancy having real fun with torps then check out the science skill ultimate Probability Manipulation. It puts you crth up to 50% which is pretty crazy when you fire a torp spead and all the torps crit. Add it to the particle manipulator trait and you can have real fun with any exotic based torps like the particle emission one.
    It'll cost you in skill points to get there tough so choose wisely.
    SulMatuul.png