What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Have you been on tribble and seen what the grain looks like? It’s nothing like the old TV shows.
    It looks a lot like a slightly staticy signal. Just slightly....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Agents of Yesterday is ruined by film grain. How do we turn it off? I never had film grain when watching ToS and the gain ruins the looks and hurts my eyes.

Never watched TOS before digital HD TV did you? It always had film grain, frankly looks funny without it.
    It was also low resolution with poor special sfx but I don't see them making the game an authentic resolution or lowering the quality of special sfx.

I did watch it a long time ago long time ago and don’t remember grain like that. It doesn’t look authentic to me, all it does is make the game look much worse and was that bad is stop me playing. Film gain is a bad thing everyone in the TV industry did what they could to avoid. Film gain is a flaw in the transmissions caused by interference. Why waste time simulating that? At least make it a tick box.

Why do you think we had digital remaster versions and HD version on blue ray and DVD? Plus re runs on TV don’t have grain. They all removed grain as it’s a flaw that ruins the picture. Not something to put in a game.

Depth of Field was very poorly used as well. A shuttle right in front of you in eye focus shouldn’t be blurred.

First time I ever saw The Tholian Web was on a black and white tv, not that there wasn't color by that time of course, we just only had the B&W at that time (shortly after a serial arsonist had burned down our home). Point being of course that a lot about how the episodes looked didn't just depend on the show itself but also on the equipment used to view it. But even the VHS collection my parents bought in the 80s had the "grain" look. I'm so used to seeing it, not only from TOS but also from all the old shows I still watch on occasion, My Three Sons, Patty Duke, I Love Lucy (Lucille Ball, the mother of Trek, RIP), Threes Company, Laverne & Shirley, Alice, Honeymooners, Dobie Gillis, Gilligan's Island, etc, that any shows from that era, to me, look strange without it.
    Have you been on tribble and seen what the grain looks like? It’s nothing like the old TV shows.

Anyway the average gamer TOS fan wouldn’t have seen it when it was originally out. They would have seen a higher definition rerun without grain or much less grain like myself. So when we see the grain in Agents of Yesterday it only looks like something is wrong.

Why ruin Agents of Yesterday with grain which is something only the minority of gamers would have experienced? Going by the average age of STO gamers I would bet the majority didn’t watch TOS with grain when it first came out. A lot of TOS fans today grow up with reruns, HD remasters and Netflix style streams.

Agents of Yesterday should be more like Star Trek Original Remastered not Star Trek Original. Reruns of Star Trek Original don't add in grain as grain is bad, very bad. At the minimum it should be a switch box. Personally I think by default it should be off. Agents of Yesterday should be trying to attract as many people as it can. Not put people off with silly effects that hurt our eyers and make the game look worse.

It's ok, @azrael605 just sees things differently. :*

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    A few people have suggested that the film grain look should be optional, I agree.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I'm glad that it wasn't my graphics...tiger-2.gif

Who the heck wants to go back to digital TV and bunny ears? should be left in an archive or a passing segment of a tiny storyline. It makes me think there is something awfully wrong with game? Make it OPTIONAL please.

old-fashioned-tv.jpg​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    So let me get this straight, I'm stuck rolling the basic 4 species.. but still getting Ferengi Snail Snack for loot? Can you tease me anymore?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yes. you may also get 2409 era weapons in random loot.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    Yes. you may also get 2409 era weapons in random loot.

I don't mind that, I just wanted to roll a Ferengi.. its fine.. I got Synthale as a drop.. I'll drown my tears in that later.. lol
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    A few people have suggested that the film grain look should be optional, I agree.

It doesn't matter to me if its optional, I wouldn't care if anyone else wanted to shut it off, but for me I kind of enjoy it and don't have any major issues with it except the previously mentioned lighting issues.
    In that case the devs should make it optional. Clearly a lot of people don't like it and the ones who do like it don't care if its optional.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    It worked for me. The grain effect and the overly bright desert landscape that was clearly an Earth desert not an alien planet said TOS to me. Post processing is just that. If people don't like it or in my case if it really pushes my PC place it would be better off not trying to go to I'd like to see it as a graphic option. I've never had issues with solo content but if there were additional post processing effects in a PvE event map with all the power/effects cluttering I'd appreciate the choice.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    storules wrote: »
    I'm glad that it wasn't my graphics...tiger-2.gif

Who the heck wants to go back to digital TV and bunny ears? should be left in an archive or a passing segment of a tiny storyline. It makes me think there is something awfully wrong with game? Make it OPTIONAL please.

old-fashioned-tv.jpg​​

"Bunny Ears" have never been able to pick up a DIGITAL SIGNAL.
    Also, it was an all ANALOG SIGNAL back in the sixties.
    Plus, that picture you included was from the '50's, TEN YEARS before Star Trek was even a thought in Mr. Roddenberry's head.
    As well as that TV is apparently hooked up to cable, as it has no "Bunny Ears" any where near or on it.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    akaar2akaar2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    I don't remember film grain. I remember this look when watching an out of town station with a less than sharp signal. I also remember watching TOS in the 1970s on cable, and it didn't look that bad.

The first thing I did after getting on tribble was looking for a way to up the resolution. I was very disappointed. Please make the fuzzy picture go away. I want my TOS from cable, and not a distant station.

I watched TOS starting in 1966, when the TV's had antenna's and in my case a coat hanger stuck in one of them to get a better picture. There was no film grain as expressed in these missions. The film grain imposed on us reminds me more of a 'B' movie from the early '50's than anything from television of the mid '60's. To me(an old man obviously) this just seems like young people trying to think what it must have been like waaaay back then, but they haven't a clue because they weren't around back then. I could be wrong(but I don't think so). Make the grain optional
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Just been on Tribble to look at AOY and I must say the Devs have done a fantastic job in recreating Star Trek of the era. I am however in agreement with alot of the comments regarding the film grain. It does either need to be removed or made optional.
  • Options
    hypodemicushypodemicus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Well, i like the "grain" effect, even if it´s not 100% historical perfect. I´d prefer it to the snow and swoosh of bad TV reception anytime (wich is how i remember my first TOS experience, ´cause we had one of those mini b/w TVs with bunny ear antenna...) :D

Question: i played the tribble episodes and noticed quite a lot of visual kinks. Where is the place to report those small bugs?
    And why can´t i continue after "return to babel"? I thought at least one more episode where available on tribble...
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Go back to Garret at the 2270 Earth Space Dock.
    He'll give you the new missions.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    bjornfried wrote: »
    bjornfried wrote: »
    Yah, but they could easily skin out old school TOS even with new ships. Franz Joseph has the rights to the third nacelle off the saucer section specifically (else how would we have the current dreadnought?) So, at least in theory, they could remodel the existing dreadnought model but with the TOS style? Heck I think having a TOS skin option on ALL my fed ships would be epic!

They coudl at least put in the Ares class as seen in "S.T.Legacy's Ultimate universe mod". (She has three nacelles too) And the U.S.S. Ares from Axanar. Just to help them raise money, for theyr Lawsuit problem with TRIBBLE stupid CBS.

Not going to get into this much but gotta say, since this game is licensed by CBS if they did anything to even imply support of Axanar then risk loosing the license and then goodbye STO. No thanks.
    TRIBBLE CBS! They have way to much influence.

maybe because they own the cow??
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    lame22334lame22334 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Im somewhat confused...people in game said there was sposed to be a new ship pack released today with original series ships from this new agents of yesterday thing. Yet i logged in and nothing...is it only for those who arent f2p?
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    The ship pack is not available in game yet, right you can buy it here
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9950863-star-trek-online:-agents-of-yesterday-packs

However you can not use it until the expansion is live in July.
  • Options
    Hmmm oddly...theres no link to buy on that page for me :(
  • Options
    wait..nvm theres a link in the text...um how long is this offer gonna be up for?
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    akaar2 wrote: »
    I watched TOS starting in 1966, when the TV's had antenna's and in my case a coat hanger stuck in one of them to get a better picture.

Both my TVs have antennas, along with a Roku. No cable, though.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    So at the end of the Caleb IV episode, which is the last TOS episode, *stuff happens* and you are taken to 2409 to present day ESD where the film grain is no longer there, your told to change to contemporary clothes and report to Admiral Quinn where he promotes you gives you a contemporary ship and gives you the 'save the SS Azure' mission.
    Your TOS experience unceremoniously ends and your assimilated into a present day Fed.

Disapoint :(

P.S. there appears only one non CStore TOS ship, the Pioneer class, that is outside the AoY pack. That's what the Tribble server has anyway right now.
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Try this one, scroll down to where the packs are.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    yea...after seeing that only one ship is t5 and the rest are way lower level...ive no interest in the pack now :(
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    Or better yet...

Special Agent Pack (the big one...)
    Agent Starter Pack

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    thegreathibikithegreathibiki Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    I think... I think I've just figured it out. Why we haven't been given high level connies that we've wanted since the beginning. It will be the ship you get in a agent of yesteryear lock box! it all makes sense. It's the perfect way to lure... i mean sucker... I mean manipu... I mean interest people into buying keys and the like.
  • Options
    doubtful it will be in there...cause the conny is coded in game already. they are just recycling old content in with the new to make the pack bigger. I got the conny already and never use it cause its such low level...and i prob wouldnt use the other lower level ones either. I wanted one(i might pick up the ranger class cause it can compete) for my merchant guy i play...and old mothballed ship he converted to a huge freighter :P