What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Memories: Content Team

13»

Comments

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    NICE!

Star Trek was the first show I got to stay up past my "School Night" bedtime to watch.
    (after begging my mom all afternoon)

Saw the first episode the first night it aired, September 8th, 1966 at 8:30 PM, I was about month away from turning 8 years old...

Was hooked from that point on.

I was probably one of the few people who was ecstatic, when it got moved to Friday nights for the second season.

Had to beg my mom again when in the third season it moved to 10PM on Fridays, that was waaaaay past my bedtime.
    B)
    Sounds like my experience is similar to yours, Dave.

I grew up in south Jersey, so once it went into perpetual re-runs, I got to watch it on UHF WKBS-TV 48 at 7:00 PM. It was appointment television as they call it today. 7 days a week for more than a decade I watch 79 episodes of Star Trek. It was the ONLY Star Trek.

Well, until Star Trek The Motion Picture. Then, ST-WoK, and so on.

I had just gotten married ( she's a Trekkie, too ) when I learned that Gene had finally been given the chance bring Star Trek back to television. We spent the Summer buying up of VHS tapes when ever they went on sale in preparation for the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Still have those dumb things even though we bought the DVD set years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ nastalgia?

Well, just as there's no school like the old school, and there are no Trekkies like the old Trekkies. ;)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    edited May 2016
    racerexia wrote: »
    I was 3 years old and the Wrath of Khan movie had just been released, my mom being a bit of a fan of the show and of Ricardo Montalbán just had to watch it. She took me along and through most of the movie I was riveted to the edge of the seat, quietly absorbing everything that was going on, terrified of the ear bugs and goggle eyed at the ships and space. Then the scene when Spock *spoiler* sacrifices himself for his crew happens and I just started wailing and screaming no again and again. Then I calmed down for the funeral scene, I was totally immersed and was relieved at the hope that was shown in that jungle planet towards the end.

When Leonard Nimoy left us for the stars one last time, I re-lived that moment at the movie theater in a vivid flashback, and the feeling of hope I am sure he would have wanted us to keep. I love Trek and I love the stories and the actors that inspired that hope, that even when and end has come, there are new beginnings, new possibilities for us to explore.

I know what you mean. When Kirk says, "Scotty, I need warp speed in three minutes or we're all dead!" and then Spock turns in his chair, ponders the situation for about two heart beats, and finally gets up, it's like getting struck by lightning but right to the heart. :(

That first time, I balled all the way through the credits. :'(

Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on
    edited May 2016
    Someone say, "France Nuyen?" Still looks good to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFRtrkYGC3E

Her first on-screen performance, for perspective.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKnlF2bjPBc
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    NICE!

Star Trek was the first show I got to stay up past my "School Night" bedtime to watch.
    (after begging my mom all afternoon)

Saw the first episode the first night it aired, September 8th, 1966 at 8:30 PM, I was about month away from turning 8 years old...

Was hooked from that point on.

I was probably one of the few people who was ecstatic, when it got moved to Friday nights for the second season.

Had to beg my mom again when in the third season it moved to 10PM on Fridays, that was waaaaay past my bedtime.
    B)

Same here! I was 9. Dad didn't care for it so Mom, myself and my siblings watched on the small TV upstairs. I remember "The High Chaparral" came on first then Star Trek. The first night, when I saw that ship, it was as if someone had taken all my childish dreams of space travel and space ships and handed them to a team of Engineers and said, "Here. Give this boys dreams a professional polish and make 'em FLY!" :)
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Someone say, "France Nuyen?" Still looks good to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFRtrkYGC3E

Her first on-screen performance, for perspective.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKnlF2bjPBc

Thanks for the links, particularly to the second one (of her performance as Liat in "South Pacific"). It makes sense that Lt. Joe Cable was the first victim of the Dohlman's tears! :wink:

[NOTE: Edited for clarity.]