test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread for Return to Babel

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Please use this thread to post feedback and issues found for Return to Babel.

New Episode: Return to Babel

Comments

• norcaler2norcaler2 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I really hope some of the stuff from the Enterprise gets ported over to player interiors.
  • sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    This mission was even closer to being in a finished state Painful Omens. I like Daniels' holographic room, and I got a chuckle at how y'all handled Kirk's presence sans Bill Shatner.

General Bugs
    When Scotty beams your character and Chekov to the Orion ship, the modern transporter FX is used.
  • akaar2akaar2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    similar to my post on Painful Omens
    crashes on map change then repatches to New Dawn
    Graphics fuzzy(as compared to SoC)
  • norcaler2norcaler2 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    sethpc wrote: »
    This mission was even closer to being in a finished state Painful Omens. I like Daniels' holographic room, and I got a chuckle at how y'all handled Kirk's presence sans Bill Shatner.

General Bugs
    When Scotty beams your character and Chekov to the Orion ship, the modern transporter FX is used.

About Kirk; in the episode he was wearing the green wraparound shirt from Season 2 during the instance in question, not the regular gold one as seen in game. But I'm sure that's going to be fixed. And I'm pretty sure I thought Chekov reverted to being Ensign Chekov during the cutscene when you first run into Scotty.

• forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    How Kirk was handled was beautiful. I love that because we don't directly deal with him, he's nothing more than just another red shirt. AWESOME.

And I don't mean that sarcastically or that I don't like Kirk. I just mean the player is that much more important than him. That's the big thing.
  • ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Looking good! Love the TOS theme. Just some observations:

1) When you sneak up to the Bridge to take a peek with the scanners, you bring your whole away team - not subtle (break immersion). There doesnt appear to be an Officer of the Deck either who at least turns around to see whether the Captain was coming back (even if s/he doesnt say anything).
    2) Tellerite that was going to start a fight with Sarek - cutscene starts with him standing on a chair so you stare at his crotch for 10 seconds. In addition, when he 'talks' to Sarek, Sarek has his back to him - I dont recall if this happened in the episode, but it seems strange that he'd be talking to another ambassador with his back turned the whole time.
    3) When you surreptitiously scan the delegates, all of them turn to face you (even if you're standing behind them to scan them).
    4) It isnt clear what is meant when Scotty says the Captain (who we just left bleeding on the floor) wants to cut power, and then you fire on a random ship. Perhaps it could be introduced that the Enterprise is under attack (cue classic Red Alert kalaxons) and Captain Checkov can say that its an Orion ship - or at least it was, anwyay?
    5) Beaming onto the Orion ship uses TNG transporter beam, not TOS.
    6) Cutscene with the beamout left my Skavrin behind, but he's with me on the Orion ship (a device was left behind for Scotty, who noticed it).
    7) After the gunfight, I was in the corridor but teleported to the control room for the beamout, which again used TNG transport animation. Also, only two of my away team beamed out with me (seems mean of Daniels).
    8) It isnt clear why the bomb had to be planted in the control room - it seemed large enough to stash in the corridor (or just generally on their ship) to have been effective. (eg, ITS A FAAAAKE!!! etc).
    9) Not sure if it is a problem yet, but my T'Vrell BOFF (see my post in the previous mission thread) only has three ground skill powers on the Stations tab - the others have four. Is this accidental?
    Oh, also at some point between the Tutorial and this Mission I gained access to a bunch of Ground Traits - originally there was only a few (maybe four, six?) which included the pistol/rifle/assault traits. Now there are all the 'basic' (ie, non crafted etc) traits available.

Not sure if that is an accident or not, but might benefit from a popup (eg, here are some cool new traits to try out).
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I should note this episode did a great job playing around the episode with everything - I don't think I was getting VOs yet but I'm really, really looking forward to them on this one in particular.

(Also - starting the grand trend of peace conferences being anything but)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    Great mission. It does have its quirks (which will hopefully be fixed by the time it hits Holodeck), mostly the cutscenes and their pacing and due to this, you need to have watched the TOS episode to fully understand why there is an Orion ship to be destroyed, but it was very enjoyable.
    Also, it looks like this episode hints to the reason why there are a younger and an older Scotty, just like there are a younger and an older Chekov.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    Can't advance Return To Babel at the point where I am to beam to the Enterprise. This happened again upon relogging in.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• alcmaeonidaealcmaeonidae Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    My NPCs had a very hard time getting through the Enterprise. I was constantly going back and find one who couldn't make it around a corner. The door in the corridor outside the conference, with the sloping walls, was a particularly bad spot. Also, my security guard NPC merged with an Enterprise security NPC outside that conference room. Possibly it's because the same visual model was used for both of them. Instead of following me, my security NPC moved into the Enterprise NPCs position and stayed there. Their shifting movements were not in sync, so I could see there were two figures standing in the same spot. Nothing I could do would get my security NPC to move.

On the bridge, Uhura is wearing thigh-high boots.

Overall, I can't support the idea of mixing game missions with TV episodes. So, the time between Kirk being stabbed and the final battle with the Orion ship in what, 3 minutes? And now, it wasn't a fanatical Orion team that blew up their own ship, but we blew it up instead? This isn't "Trials and Tribbilations". DS-9 had professional script writers, who worked to preserve the flow of the original episode. Cryptic, you can't match that level of quality.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    9) Not sure if it is a problem yet, but my T'Vrell BOFF (see my post in the previous mission thread) only has three ground skill powers on the Stations tab - the others have four. Is this accidental?
    It has to be an accident. No other Boff comes with only 3 powers. I was able to fix it by going to ESD, turning an android into a manual, then using the manual. (TOS captains can claim android boffs, but not commission them, yet, but turning them to manuals works good)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • horgahnhorgahn Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Chekov disappears if you die. Chekov disappears if you run faster than him. Chekov disappears if you look at him funny. Chekov disappears.
    Go Team Venture!
    Wʬ  g+  f  t

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catsmeatcatsmeat Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I played this at level 10+ on advanced hardness and boy was it a big leap in difficulty from level 10 and under as the Na'kuhl get their bubble of invulnerability and in the quite tight confines of those narrow corridors and small rooms it's hard to target the buddy who is generating the bubble. (And I knew to seek and destroy those buddies)

Now I was able to get through them, but I know of the Na'kuhl. I'm thinking it may be a bit of a heartache for a new player though.

No gripes, just an observation of how pesky na'kuhl can be even at low levels.

I loved the mission!

Cheers! :)

Edit: Too add these comments I dropped in the wrong mission thread,

Sometimes when i played this my whole away team followed me to the bridge to access the console, other times only I entered. Was about half of one and half of the other. Was very off with all 5 of us packing weapons trying to be discrete in fiddling with the console lol. That mixed behavior may need some looking into.

BOFFs are like the three stooges trying to move a ladder through a door in the ship, even when there isn't a door but just a bulkhead passage. This has to be fixed. (I think a fine solution to this might be not picking up your away team until you meet up with Checkov the second time on the ship, that way while on the bridge and at the diplomatic gathering you are alone being discrete.)

Checkov, as noted previously - If you lose him it's time to restart the whole mission. When I was conscious of this I was able to keep him with me through the whole map (awkward, but not hard to do), but before that it was super frustrating to get 'talk to Checkov' while he was AWOL and neither turbolifts functioned.

The final fight on the ship with just two plus two waves of two was way to easy for the final fight on the ground fighting portion of this mission. It wasn't a bad fight, just not great. I anticipated something more than a pushover.
    Post edited by catsmeat on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    The interior of the Enterprise behaved the same as a Foundry mission in preview, IE no pathing data.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    I liked this mission. Except for the aforementioned problems, I felt like an active participant behind the scenes.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • talonkuro1talonkuro1 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Had the issue with my BOFFs not following me and getting stuck. Though I had an issue with the client crashing and now I can't get back into Tribble to finish it up. Hopefully some of the future test builds before release will fix that. The fun part was running around the big E and having memories of the first time I saw that Star Trek episode. Hope that we get the Connie interiors for the other TOS ships.
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Bug: Bridge officers fail to follow correctly. During Back to Babel (Go to deck 5) all my BOFF's keep getting their position's reset - my current play through has 1 who won't leave the area near the delegates and the others won't get nearer to the turbolift than 15 metres. Transporting to the Orion ship leaves them all aboard the Enterprise. Only by re-spawning do the all appear alongside me.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
    edited May 2016
    Oops, posted a review in the wrong thread - please disregard! :)
    Post edited by ultimatenewbie on
    edited May 2016
    Double post.
    Post edited by ultimatenewbie on
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    I really enjoyed this episode till I thought on it. Then it adds to my anti-Daniels fury.
    He brings in another temporal agent just to play mission control because he can't be bothered with it?

Glitches.
    Orion ship stops right before the Enterprise, then warps out to be in front of the Enterprise again.
    On orion ship there were green splashes labeled FX 1 or similar. Either did not load and got a place holder texture or not in game yet. (Brings me to need to redo mission and check the detail level of your artists. I want to find the GNDN pipes. :) )
    Note others here having issue with TNG transport. I thought it was because Daniels or another time traveler were transporting you instead of local tech. But I did notice it as well.
    Orion vessel explodes with you on it.

Oh and to answer a previous poster. Yes Sarek had his back to the Tellarite for much of that conversation. Basically not turning to face the rude and blustering ambassador.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited June 2016
    OK, now that we have the VA, I can say the timing between 2 speaking characters is horrible, but that's a recurring problem of the whole expansion of VAs overlapping during cutscenes and in-game dialogue (it shows best with Daniels/Chekov introduction cutscene and Sarek/Gav argument). Better fix that fast.

Also, you can't repeat the first mission goal (meeting Daniels in his ready room) unless you have another Agents of Yesterday one to "trigger" Daniels to speak with you, like Tangled Web.

Also, once I destroyed the Orion ship and got Daniels to beam me up, I got the first cutscene of him introducing the temporal agent, the temporal observatory and Chekov again and while I got the correct debriefing afterwards, the mission didn't complete.

Also, when I left the mission (but as I said, it didn't complete), I found myself in the 23rd century map (or what seems to be it since I get a dialogue of the 25th century ESD officer telling me I don't have clearance to enter the Beta Quadrant) and I have the "fly to system" icon of the missions implying I'm not in the Beta Quadrant (so the icon is a arrow pointing at a transwarp wormhole, instead of an arrow pointing at a star). The only way to go back to the 25th century was to use the "transwarp to sol system" in the transwarp window.
    #TASforSTO
    Some additions for the latest patch (on the 29th):

Return to Babel can now be accessed and completed, the timing of the lines during dialogues has been fixed but it still has a few quirks, namely:

-now your away team follows you (awkwardly, even) after you beam on the Enterprise while they're supposed to stay in the armory with Chekov until you come back.
    -Chekov's "we can't disarm the bomb, Scotty" line is replaced by Scotty's "that got'em" during the related cutscene
    -in the same cutscene, Chekov doesn't appear to be beamed to the Orion ship, yet his temporal item still drops for Scotty to collect it.
    -Ensign Chekov and the other Lt in front of Uhura on the Enterprise's bridge are standing up on their chairs
    -Even if you're in the 25th century, finishing the mission still sends you in the 23rd century map with 25th century ESD control telling you you're not supposed to leave Federation space:
    9900_20160630005000_1.png
    #TASforSTO
  • iamgboxiamgbox Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Another issue here:
    • Upon entering the engine room, my character(s) interact with Scotty, who instructs them to reroute power to (insert shield # here). Following that action, they are instructed to "Check on that Bomb!". The next instruction from Scotty, whatever it is, cannot be completed at the engineering console because the former dialogue on "rerouting power to shields" is displayed. This issue has persisted through multiple mission restarts and across three character slots. Totally stranded.