test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In-Game Telemarketers

For the past several days I have been getting random friend requests, immediately followed by the same private text message that asks me to buy a million ECs for $15. Each time I get this request it is from a different account. It's getting really annoying and I wish it would stop. Has anyone else seen this? Does Cryptic know about this? Is there any way to report to report it since the adverts are always from a different account? I'm pretty sure that Cryptic's policy does not allow this sort of thing.

Comments

• Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Right click the sender name/message, mark as spam, and move on. Cryptic's policy definitely does not allow for it, but robbing convenience stores is illegal and yet people still attempt it. Enforcing the ban is practically impossible because (as far as I know) the chat engine doesn't attempt to analyze the content of a message to determine if it's from a spammer. That would be an endless quest, anyway, and would take more computational effort than the benefit derived.

The #1 way to knock these guys off the air is not to respond to them, and not to buy assets from one of those sites. When there aren't any buyers, it doesn't matter how many are selling. (That will never happen, but I can dream, can't I?)
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Clicking on Ignore does report them. Also, adjusting your Privacy Settings to Friends and Fleet only helps as well. Even if you're not in a Fleet or don't have any friends.

These gold sellers would not be here bothering you at all if there was not a market for them, unfortunately. Apparently some of our fellow STO players cannot play this game without trying to gain an edge from outside assistance. Never mind the personal information they surrender to a complete stranger, they've got to have that Shiinee right now!

Serves 'em all right if they wind up identity theft victims over a game.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I get the same and the occasional mail message as well. This nothing new. We had them spaming with bodies and stuff on WoW.

There isn't much you can do other than ignore them.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    did you said "Shiinee"?, and let me add, "Hello honey!, I am Home!" after few axe hits thru the door enough for head peek into.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    15$ for a million EC? Good god, I've got hundreds' worth then. *chuckles*

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    ignore does nothing, sending spam reports does nothing. cryptic needs a new way to deal with this constant crud. but so far in every game i ran across it is always an issue. i hope at some point an mmo company finds the perfect solution and willing to immediate give their competitors a way of stopping marketer spammers for good in a show of solidarity over this whole thing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    As I said in that other thread I have my options as friends only and it seems to work. My issue is that the game queues you with people you have on ignore which is stupid.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Welcome to the world of F2P, when anyone can make an account without paying, the amount of accounts one can get are nearly unlimited.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    devencombs wrote: »
    For the past several days I have been getting random friend requests, immediately followed by the same private text message that asks me to buy a million ECs for $15. Each time I get this request it is from a different account. It's getting really annoying and I wish it would stop. Has anyone else seen this? Does Cryptic know about this? Is there any way to report to report it since the adverts are always from a different account? I'm pretty sure that Cryptic's policy does not allow this sort of thing.

Happend to me while i was teamed up in a cca with the sender.
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    It's no fun and games until you're waiting for an important mail from someone and then get their spam in your inbox. I'm always sort of nasty when I reply to those. The PMs just get a "f**k off" and marked as spam.

But really, they've become a bigger problem lately and I'm concerned about the number of people who've given up their info to these spammers.
  • Options
    mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    The lazy swines haven't even managed to catch up with in game inflation.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Right-click, report spam, and move on. Takes less than one second of your time and you will never "hear" from that particular spammer again.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I must be some kind of a pariah to them, as in the six years I've been playing the game I've never been approached.

Must be that my suave intellect and debonair personality scares them off.
    <chuckle>
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif