test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crash to Desktop: Only when engaging in a battle.

Hi, On a Forum RPG group I'm apart of, one of our users has encountered a CTD issue that I'm unable to resolve for him. I suggested he come here but he doesn't seem to have come yet.

His Spec's:
Windows 10 64-bit OS
AMD FX™-8320 processor (3.5 GHz)
AMD R9 380 graphics card
8GB memory
584 GB free HD space

What Myself and another user suggested:
1) Total re-installation of STO starting with the total removal of it.
2) Setting everything to the lowest setting and increase it as you play until you trigger a crash.
3) Disable On Demand Patching
4) Enable Force Verification in the STO Launcher.

One of our other uses believes it could be a registry issue, however neither of us know where STO's registry is.

I even suggested the following from a post in these forums
There are three ways you might fix this, one relatively short and quick, the others progressively longer. For all, you'll need to open up the STO file directory: Right click the game in the Steam Library, select Properties, go to the "Local Files" tab, and click "Browse Local Files...". From here, go into the "Star Trek Online" folder, then the "Live" folder (ought to be the only entry). From here, open "logs"->"GameClient", and take a look at the "Crash" log file. Post that here, if it's got too much techspeak to decipher. Hopefully it will list exactly which file is causing trouble, which can be easily fixed by deleting the offending file so the launcher is forced to re-download it.

Option #2 is to leave the subfolders in the "Live" folder alone, but relocate or delete all the files in there. Restart STO from Steam, and it should re-download all those files you just moved/deleted, and hopefully let you into the game or produce a more useful Crash log.

Option #3 is the scorched earth option. Keep the local file folder open, uninstall using Steam, delete everything it leaves behind (because Steam only works with the game launcher- it won't uninstall the rest of the game), and reinstall.

However he claims none of it has worked. His game still CTD's when he enters combat, both space and ground. So my current theory is some sort of issue with Sound or VFX for weapons or shields, or how the game is calculating damage.

I have asked for a copy of his crash report, I'm just waiting on him to get back to me on that.

If anyone has any advice or ideas of this bug, I'd be grateful as he hasn't been able to play in a while. (My understanding is Legacy of Rom)

Comments

• bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    Here's a step for your fleetmate to try.

Delete the Gameprefs.pref file in your game folder under Live/Localdata.

That should resolve any underlying issues and if not there's always more to try.

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
  • andromeda981andromeda981 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Okay I'll forward that. Here is the Crashlog's entries he sent me
    160514 20:34:09 297 Client[0 [NOENT]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    160516 03:03:18 295 Client[0 [NOENT]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    160517 19:14:35 293 Client[0 [NOENT]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    He did as you suggested, however it did nothing.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

I've been unable to fix the issue for him and all suggestions do nothing. The above crash log is all his game is producing.
    Anyone?
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    There are no Registry entries for STO. You can literally install the game on an external hard drive and then connect it to any PC to launch the game.

Try to uninstall the graphic drivers in safe mode, then reboot and install the most current drivers. If that does not work, then install an AMD graphics driver that is older than the one that is currently installed on the PC.
  • cptnrahlcptnrahl Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I am having this exact problem, but with an NVidia card. I am also running Win 10 x64, an NVidia GTX 950, a 4.2 GHz processor, 16 GB of ram on top of the 4 on the card. I am getting the same

Client[0 [NOENT]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()

error message. I have tried fresh installs, even going so far as to completely wipe my HD and reinstall Windows. I have tried a dozen different NVidia drivers, disabling DX 11, clean installing, ARC installing, Steam installing, replacing my modem, deleting Gameprefs.pref, and nothing has changed. I haven't had many crashes when doing episode missions solo, but as soon as I am on a team, the game CTDs.
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    This is something to try,but no guarantees on effectiveness.launch the game,click on the options tab on the upper right of launcher.First uncheck on demand patching,then in the command line enter the following code.

-d3d11Enable 0

Save and relaunch
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    • Try playing the game in Windowed mode as well as Borderless mode and see if that does anything. You can also try playing the game in DirectX 9.
    • Another thing you can try is removing one of the RAM modules (unless you only have one) and launching those game scenarios with each module alone to identify a bad module.
    • If he has a soundcard you can also try disabling it and perhaps even removing it completely. Personally I haven't had a single audio issue in any game or program by running the sound as uncompressed audio through HDMI (the graphics card) and into a receiver. Not a cheap solution but definitely a solid one that improves both speaker and headphone audio in nearly every way.

Other than this I don't really know. I find it strange that I haven't had that many if any issues with STO like constant client crashes, client and server disconnects as well as server not responding. I do see that you are running Windows 10 so another solution might be to run the game in Windows Compatibility mode if you haven't tried it already.