test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weapon Visual Slot

As always, I've tried searching for this before bringing it up, so don't flame me if it's an old discussion.
Anyway, I would love to see them add a Visual Slot for weapon visuals. One of my main builds runs Herald AP beam arrays, plus the Radiant AP set, plus the AP omnis and the KCB. I love the build, but I hate the rainbow effect, especially for screenshot taking. If I could slot one type of weapon in a new Weapon Visual Slot, and all my weapons would display that visual, I'd be thrilled!
Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
vGdvFsX.jpg

Comments

• nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Would be nice addition considering all the different colors we now have of the same weapon type.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    +1 from me.​​
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It comes up often, but that's because many of us really really want it.

I avoid equipping the kinetic cutting beam on some ships just because I hate to see the mismatched beam visuals. I'm constantly annoyed by not being able to choose a single look for a mix of stock, rep, episode, lock box beams of the same energy type.

Ideal for me would be a "unify energy visuals" command where you pick one equipped beam or cannon from a pull-down list or checkbox next to the slot, and it gets applied to all of them.

But I want this enough that I'd also be willing to spend the time, dil, ec, marks, whatever needed to get an extra of a beam / cannon type to place in a separate visual slot.
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    It would be nice to have one slot for beams, one for cannons and one for torpedoes.

Beam Slot - What you equip here changes all of the beam weapons visuals to match it.
    Cannon Slot - What you equip here changes all of the cannon weapons visuals to match it.
    Torpedo Slot - What you equip here changes all of the torpedo visuals, (exception for destructable warheads) to match it.

I would love this, I could equip phasers and put a polaron beam array into the visual slot and shoot purple phasers....

OR an alternate system would be a "Colour palette" based of what was currently equiped.

Say you have all stock phasers and a biomatter array, you would then have 2 "un-locked" 2 colours [ Phaser Orange, and Phaser Green ]

If you add a quantum phaser array you would then add Blue to the global pallete.

So you could pick leave the arrays alone, or pick any one of the additional colours of any of the weapons you have equipped.

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    +1 from me on this.

Been asked for a lot of times as its a popular request. I'd love to be able to standardise my weapons looks, we've got it with shield visuals etc. now, just add it for weapons.
    SulMatuul.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I honestly think the current visual tab was just a step in this direction and it is actively being worked on already.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I would love this!
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I have to say this is a great idea. I've always been about Uniform Canon ships, and weapons. My starfleet ships stick to phasers, my non starfleet ships are where I play with other weapons. I want more types of phasers- such as the wrath of khan style pulsing phasers. They aren't really pulses like the defiant fires, so I came up with the term "Oscillating phasers" to explain those wrath of khan style ship and hand phasers.

With the new Agents of Yesterday expansion, I think we might see the late 23rd century as well, since we have older Chekov and Scotty, from the Enterprise-A era. This gives us a chance to see TOS Movie era effects. Those Wrath of Khan beams would look great on our Excelsior and Ambassador classes- as well as refit TOS ships.

And to be honest, I would set my visuals to phasers so I can finally use Anti Proton beam weapons (which I avoid SIMPLY because I hate the look of dark beams.) I miss when I used to be able to set my bloom so high that my phaser beams would have a very authentic soft glow. Now the blooms are so controlled, I can't play like I have Glaucoma anymore!!!!! I felt the enhanced blooms gave a very trek look.

Those are my random rantings about beam visuals.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    unotetsu wrote: »
    It would be nice to have one slot for beams, one for cannons and one for torpedoes.

Beam Slot - What you equip here changes all of the beam weapons visuals to match it.
    Cannon Slot - What you equip here changes all of the cannon weapons visuals to match it.
    Torpedo Slot - What you equip here changes all of the torpedo visuals, (exception for destructable warheads) to match it.

I would love this, I could equip phasers and put a polaron beam array into the visual slot and shoot purple phasers....

OR an alternate system would be a "Colour palette" based of what was currently equiped.

Say you have all stock phasers and a biomatter array, you would then have 2 "un-locked" 2 colours [ Phaser Orange, and Phaser Green ]

If you add a quantum phaser array you would then add Blue to the global pallete.

So you could pick leave the arrays alone, or pick any one of the additional colours of any of the weapons you have equipped.

I am tentatively for this, but only if there are modules to slot that will generate random colors per shot.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
    edited May 2016
    According to today's interview, it's currently in the "not going to happen" category

giphy.gif
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    According to today's interview, it's currently in the "not going to happen" category

giphy.gif

Darn. I guess it must be more technically difficult than the others. Oh well, it was a lovely fantasy.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

giphy.gif

NoooOOOOOooooOOOOoooOOOO!

https://youtu.be/WWaLxFIVX1s

NoooOOOOOooooOOOOoooOOOO!

https://youtu.be/JkPKZhXth7M
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    That's too bad.

Having Andorian blue phaser cannons available would have been nice. Unfortunately, the ones from the store are way too expensive. Even most reputation gear is cheaper and those start at mk 12 instead of 11.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    This would be worth it even if the only visual options were the basic energy types.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Yeah I would love this either as a single-slot/multi-slot option, or even as a drop down option you can choose, but it is sad to hear that it was shot down in a interview. I could see issues might happen or creep up, but outside of a code or option in which you as a player can disable the visuals of ships comp side not sure how much of an issue that would be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Thank gob this isn't happening. Such a dumb idea. It's strategically beneficial to be able to tell weapons apart
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    With this expansion it would be pretty hot to replace my standard phaser effects with classic blue phaser effects.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    in the first year of STO there has been a code you copied into chat in hex to set your color of energy weapons. that has been fun, i had my beams in PINK!

really, i would love this, as i avoid AP and Phaser energy types simply because i do not like the colors,
    which leaves me to use disruptors or plasma. This is fine, while playing romulans/KDF,
    but i would love to start a new FED toon with phasers, but the original BLUE ones.

supporting the idea of a energy weapons COLOR slot for a ship. Would be paying some DILL to open it too.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    I remember the forum wars from years ago regarding this (and the little 'hack' that patched which allowed people to choose weapon colour).

Back then PvP was much more popular, and one of the main reasons given for saying 'no' was because it would be unfair if weapon colour did not match weapon type. PvP is pretty much dead in the game however, so that is not really an issue any more.

The second problem was in regard to how the game engine worked out weapon damage/procs; apparently weapon damage was (or perhaps still is, I do not know) directly tied to the colour that is being fire, so if you have phasers equiped and change the colour to a certain shade of green, you either have disrupter's or plasma based weapons. In essence the old 'hack' let you change the type of weapon you was fireing 'on the fly' regardless of what was actually equiped. Clearly this is a bit more worrisome, and I'm not sure if Cryptic ever made any changes to this system.

And finally; CBS/Paramount are notoriously touchy about stuff like this. They may not want people to be able to change thier weapon to any colour they like. Of course one way to get around it might be to restrict the colour change to what is already available. Having said that however, the rainbow of colours Cryptic has already released with all the different damage types may mean this point is also moot.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Would be nice, my sci relies on weapons sets for how I choose my beams and it's a colorful mess.
    Thank gob this isn't happening. Such a dumb idea. It's strategically beneficial to be able to tell weapons apart

For PVP, which almost no one plays. Yes, let's punish the 99% to keep the last few PVPers happy. :(

When your already in combat, does it really make that much difference what weapon type the opponent is using? It's not like you can stack phaser resists mid fight ...
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Yeah, good idea. I like my coalition disruptors but their peeeww peeeeww SFX is really annoying.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Once upon a time, you could change the color of all your beams/cannons with a simple typed command. But, the vocal minority PvP crowd made such a clamour that it was removed. They cited the inability to defend against certain damage types during a battle. However, as we repeatedly pointed out to no avail, it is impossible to know your enemy's weapon loadout ahead of time, thus preventing proper defense, at least on the first round.

I think this should be revisited by the devs, as the PvP community is very small indeed. Perhaps, as was suggested in the past by myself and others, the mechanic can be disabled in PvP instances.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User

For PVP, which almost no one plays. Yes, let's punish the 99% to keep the last few PVPers happy. :(

Quite reminiscent of a current social debate, don't you think? I believe in both real life and in the game, both issues can be solved with little discomfort for all.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.

That is quite true in pvp, but also that in the end unless you are going to break off an get out of combat to re-stack your resists while evading your enemy as s/he chases you down, it is not something that feasible to utilize. Though you can also just code it that inside/during pvp matches or maps weapon and/or shield/engine/deflector vanity-visuals are disabled, or that the playerr has a comp side option in thier set up to disable enemy ship vanity visuals alllowing them to bypass this issue as well as help with processing speeds with the reduction in the number of varied textures an looks of ships it is rendering.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    push...because I can and I think it is an awesome idea. Also reduce the amount of fireing animations. 8 weapons going off just looks ridiculous and absolute overkill. I'd suggest a "show animation" toggle on each weapon equipped
    Go pro or go home
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    That's too bad.

Having Andorian blue phaser cannons available would have been nice. Unfortunately, the ones from the store are way too expensive. Even most reputation gear is cheaper and those start at mk 12 instead of 11.

phased biomatter phasers are blue too; you can always go for those if the andorian ones are too expensive for you

proc's a hell of a lot better too​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Honestly for me one thing that would make this nice is just that since you are getting rid of the clutter of the multi-beam visuals and so also consolidating them into a single visual reducing the load of producing the many different graphics via it. I think though you would need three to four slots one for each of the weapon types (mines, beams, cannons, and torpedos).