test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4!

Comments

• sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Have to admit I am thrilled by this news. My laptop is somewhat tired after three years of playing STO several hours per day on a daily basis.

A PS4/Xbox One is FAR less expensive than a gaming laptop. BONUS!!!

I'm with you on that one, @reyan01. I just need to make sure I have enough memory on my console..on a side note, how much would an ext. hard drive cost (GBP)?
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I would like a little more information before I break out the Château Picard/pitchforks and torches. Are we on the same server? Can we transfer our characters over? Do our purchases carry over? Will my crappy PC cope with the changes/are we able to keep our current graphics settings?
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • brycraebrycrae Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Everyone, dont get to happy about this. They will do this like they did Neverwinter. You start from scratch. All that money you have put into Star Trek Online for the last 6 years, say bye bye. PC will not cross over to XBox...just like Neverwinter... So, everyone, get your wallets out and start paying once again...all those ships, all those upgrades, all those etc etc etc etc
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    brycrae wrote: »
    Everyone, dont get to happy about this. They will do this like they did Neverwinter. You start from scratch. All that money you have put into Star Trek Online for the last 6 years, say bye bye. PC will not cross over to XBox...just like Neverwinter... So, everyone, get your wallets out and start paying once again...all those ships, all those upgrades, all those etc etc etc etc

Insidious, ain't it...

<chuckle>

MONEY makes the world go round...
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Have to admit I am thrilled by this news. My laptop is somewhat tired after three years of playing STO several hours per day on a daily basis.

Didn't think about that until I started considering upgrading my current GPU. I could buy a console and spend only slightly more on it than upgrading. And have a "new shiny" to keep me interested!
    daveyny wrote: »
    I would imagine that They are probably going to have a separate server for the consoles like Neverwinter does.

So everybody who uses a console will most likely be starting from scratch.

B)

And that just killed ANY and all interest I have in going console. If I'd have to repurchase everything I have on my PC account in order to enjoy those same benefits on a SEPARATE console account, I have no choice but to pass. Every ship in the game, multiple DOff roster increases, a load of uniforms, LTS, every character slot I can buy (yes, I'm at the limit!)...

Nope, not gunna do it.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    sharpie65 wrote: »

I'm with you on that one, @reyan01. I just need to make sure I have enough memory on my console..on a side note, how much would an ext. hard drive cost (GBP)?

You can get a pretty decent USB hard drive for under $60 bucks now-a-days.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    so you are trading in the spacebar for the A button. Is this why we have had a lack of content for 2 years? Dev's working a controller, gg cryptic
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    OMG I called it and people didn't think it was going to happen... omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

am I dreaming???
    6tviTDx.png

edited May 2016
    OMG I called it and people didn't think it was going to happen... omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

am I dreaming???

YES...

*** We now return you to your regularly scheduled 'falling dream'... ***

>:)
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    hajmyis wrote: »
    Is this why we have had a lack of content for 2 years?

You are joking, right?
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »

Didn't think about that until I started considering upgrading my current GPU. I could buy a console and spend only slightly more on it than upgrading. And have a "new shiny" to keep me interested!
    I would imagine that They are probably going to have a separate server for the consoles like Neverwinter does.

So everybody who uses a console will most likely be starting from scratch.

B)

And that just killed ANY and all interest I have in going console. If I'd have to repurchase everything I have on my PC account in order to enjoy those same benefits on a SEPARATE console account, I have no choice but to pass. Every ship in the game, multiple DOff roster increases, a load of uniforms, LTS, every character slot I can buy (yes, I'm at the limit!)...

Nope, not gunna do it.

Not really Cryptic/PWE's fault. Cross platform play is restricted by Microsoft and Sony's micro-transaction rules; they would lose out if you bought items on the PC and could use them on the consoles without them getting their 30% cut. Even DCUO, which at the time it came out on the PS3 and PS4 was still owned by Sony, was bound by those restrictions.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    I don't even own a console and I'm excited for this. Hopefully this brings in all kinds of new players. You guys did good with this. Seriously.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • phrgphrg Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    brycrae wrote: »

Insidious, ain't it...

<chuckle>

MONEY makes the world go round...
    B)

So... Should I spend £99.99 on the Temporal Special Agent Pack or wait a while?

:o
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    My greatest hope would be that they could somehow manage to make this cross-platform. Next would be that I can log into my account on any platform, totally intact, just copied like we do for Tribble/Redshirt. Lastly, if I have to start fresh, I'd love if they'd give some sort of promo pack for PC accounts older than say a year (bigger packs for Gold/LTS).

Needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting more details.

This might be when I finally give this computer a break and pick up a PS4 this fall. And really, this could be the opportunity to make the STO 2 many of us have wanted. Start fresh, bring balance to the technobabble, and bring PvP back!

Regardless, congrats to the Dev team, this level of ambition is fitting for the 50th anniversary of Trek.
    edited May 2016
    I'm not a console player anymore, but I'll be very happy if this improves even in a small way, how the game does on my PC.
    B)
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    I'm not a console players anymore, but I'll be very happy if this improves even in a small way how the game does on my PC.
    B)

I would like some information on whether any of the UI back end improvements they mentioned will make it to the PC version. The PC UI was completely re-written pretty recently (relatively speaking) so I'm not honestly sure if it will or not, but on PC the UI lag is by far one of the biggest issues we face on a daily basis right now. Sadly though, the initial dev blog on this matter is rather light on details.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    hajmyis wrote: »
    so you are trading in the spacebar for the A button. Is this why we have had a lack of content for 2 years? Dev's working a controller, gg cryptic

There's been plenty of content over the last 2 years, I can only assume you haven't been ingame lately and you've missed it all
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Ditch mac and switch over xbox and ps , quite a machiavellian move
    Brilliant!
    Now I just hope my rustbucket pc stay alive untill autumn before the harddrive selfdestructs...
    Must learn how to use xbox and ps4 lol
    wonder which is cheaper and easier to be repair by owner?
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    I have this wish that they'll include an option to use XBox Smartglass on my tablet as a secondary controller. Let me put big fat glowing buttons on my tablet to replace all of the keyboard shortcuts I'll be missing from my keyboard! Controller in hands, tablet in lap or on the table in front of me. Heck, make it look like LCARS! I can actually tap on a ship console while I'm playing the game, right? Why not? :smile:
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• tirosan1701tirosan1701 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hiya - just got the news - play STO on PC but the PC is getting old so this is fantastic news
    one question does anyone know what stage the game will be at - by which I mean the PC vwersion has had a number of expansions and new content but I would assume that the console version would be a 'vanilla' version - anyone heard anything?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    <a minor side effect will be that macro's can no longer be used by the new setup>

<sits down and watches fireworks>

Fun aside, not a console user but this could bring a significant number of new players to STO.
    Considering that XBox and PS are generally more into competitive games this may even revive PVP
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    I'll reserve my thoughts on this until I hear more. While I'm excited that more people can enjoy Star Trek Online, I have the feeling it'll be implemented like over in Neverwinter, where they don't talk to one another. Though if, and a big if, I can have my account on PC be used on PS4/X1 and vice versa, and we can all play together... Well, color me happy as the wisest tribble.
    Hiya - just got the news - play STO on PC but the PC is getting old so this is fantastic news
    one question does anyone know what stage the game will be at - by which I mean the PC vwersion has had a number of expansions and new content but I would assume that the console version would be a 'vanilla' version - anyone heard anything?

It'll likely be like Neverwinter, which means all content will come out for PC and console at roughly the same time, but they will be on separate servers so you wouldn't be able to use things you bought on one system on the others.
  • rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    I'll reserve my thoughts on this until I hear more. While I'm excited that more people can enjoy Star Trek Online, I have the feeling it'll be implemented like over in Neverwinter, where they don't talk to one another. Though if, and a big if, I can have my account on PC be used on PS4/X1 and vice versa, and we can all play together... Well, color me happy as the wisest tribble.

Same here. I'd love to be able to play on Xbox, but if I have to start from the beginning and lose all the stuff I spent years getting... Yeah, think I'll stick with PC for now.
    76561198032353876.png
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    So the loyal PC gamers that supported the game and spent their money on this game get what? A "maybe somewhen later this year".
    This game is bugged and working terrible for more than 1 year. An aweful performance on many PC and you tell us something about consoles?
    This shows once more that you give a damn about the current player base.

In future there will be even more bugs in STO because thats exactly what console support means. You guys where not able to release bug free content for just one platform.
    Now that you have to develop for multiple platforms the amount of bugs will practically explode.

Console support also means that gameplay will have to change due to the limited controls over there. This in return means that in order to have a fair balance between PC and Console versions the PC controls will have to get limited aswell. This might lead to a limitation of features/options for PC just to prevent that PC players have an advantage over console players when it comes down the the input options.
    The gameplay for STO most certainly will change with this console support. Lots of options and freedom we had most certainly will vanish. There is absolutely no reason to be satisfied about such an announcement.
    STO will turn into a console game and PC gameplay will suffer.
    edited May 2016
    They are still going to work on BUGS ya know.
    Just because They are adding consoles doesn't mean the games upkeep will stop.

And if the consoles are on another server (which is very likely), there shouldn't be all that many changes for the PC folks.
    B)
    swatop wrote: »
    So the loyal PC gamers that supported the game and spent their money on this game get what? A "maybe somewhen later this year".
    This game is bugged and working terrible for more than 1 year. An aweful performance on many PC and you tell us something about consoles?

In future there will be even more bugs in STO because thats exactly what console support means. You guys where not able to release bug free content for just one platform.
    Now that you have to develop for multiple platforms the amount of bugs will practically explode.

Console support also means that gameplay will have to change due to the limited controls over there. This in return means that in order to have a fair balance between PC and Console versions the PC controls will have to get limited aswell. This might lead to a limitation of features/options for PC just to prevent that PC players have an advantage over console players when it comes down the the input options.
    The gameplay for STO most certainly will change with this console support. Lots of options and freedom we had most certainly will vanish. There is absolutely no reason to be satisfied about such an announcement.
    STO will turn into a console game and PC gameplay will suffer.

None of this happened in Neverwinter. No reason whatsoever to think that it will happen in STO.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2016
    swatop wrote: »

Aint that the reason why Bug Hunter were created? I think my title still sais Bug Hunter... :smile:
    6tviTDx.png