test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4!

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
We're proud to announce that Star Trek Online will be launching simultaneously on Xbox One and Playstation 4 consoles in Fall 2016!

Take a look at our official announcement as well as the new lighting changes coming to Star Trek Online PC!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    My goodness.

And it will enhance PC play as well.

Great for everybody!

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Well then I'll give this a shot on my PS4 and see how it handles when it comes out later in the year.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    All one happy family playing together right :neutral: Either way this is good news.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    :::Headdesk:::

Granted, I'm not a console player. Let's just hope the lighting changes don't give older cards a hard(er) time than what's already being done...

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    This is good news indeed. This will add players to the STO universe it would have never been able to pick up. Well done developers...well done.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    tymersto wrote: »

Granted, I'm not a console player. Let's just hope the lighting changes don't give older cards a hard(er) time than what's already being done...

I have to agree here, players like myself may just be forced out of the game with such massive changes like these.

You people NEED to make sure there's an potion to turn all of this off for those of us on limited hardware.
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    Erm....okay this could be benefitical to me (assuming I get back actively in to STO) as I share a PC with my fiancee while mine is in the UK and I'll be picknig up my PS4 soon.

For gamers as a whole this has to be good news. i imagine PCs are more common these days than consoles but I'm sure this will increase the playerbase for those who just have a console or like me only have one PC.

I feel this is a bit of a backhand slap to mac users and this makes me wonder how console users will fare. As it's f2p, console users will be okay and I doubt anyone would get a console just for STO when there's plenty of good games out there but still this has crossed my mind.

Now if Cryptic can get their act together and provide a game that encourages me to come back as an active player then I'll begin supporting the game again but that's asking a lot.

Time will tell.
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    This is super exciting news. Thanks, Devs! I can't wait for more news and the improvements to roll. I'll have to give it a try on my Xbox One.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• phrgphrg Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    So you've converted "a PC game that takes nearly an entire keyboard to play into a game that plays well with a 12 button controller."

As a PC player do I get the choice to keep my current setup or will I be forced to change to "radial menus and streamlining"?
    edited May 2016
    Or perhaps it's time to start saving up some money to upgrade your hardware.

It's inevitable that in this day and age, folks are eventually going to have to give up their old gaming systems/PC's, as the industry moves forward with the constantly changing technology.

It ain't always fair, but it is how these things work now.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    phrg wrote: »
    So you've converted "a PC game that takes nearly an entire keyboard to play into a game that plays well with a 12 button controller."

As a PC player do I get the choice to keep my current setup or will I be forced to change to "radial menus and streamlining"?

Gosh, I hope not!

I hate the controls on Neverwinter....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Improvements to episodic flow? That sounds more worrisome than it probably would have before the nuking of the Cardassian arc (the lightning performance concern have already been mentioned by others, of course).
    For gamers as a whole this has to be good news. i imagine PCs are more common these days than consoles but I'm sure this will increase the playerbase for those who just have a console or like me only have one PC.
    Last time I checked, my understanding was that (for potential gaming purposes, I'd expect work computers and such to be excluded) consoles are more common than PCs but PCs have a larger share than any single console.
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    lol you can invest, develop and take the risk that a 6 year old mmo will succeed on a console, but couldn't continue MAC support. I could say a lot about this and none of it good. So will choose my words wisely,

Good luck and Qapla.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    On a general note I see this as a good thing, as a player who makes frequent use of the fps counter I know first hand that the UI is a real pain on performance and in need of some back-end improvements. So, yay!

As for STO coming to Xbox/PS4, it should definately increase the number of active players, which is also good.

I'm just hoping that it'll be cross-platform (which apparently Microsoft is allowing now), or at the very least allow players to transfer characters/accounts from PC to console. *Fingers crossed*
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I'm afraid. Will my PC game experience be dumbed down for console people? And basically same question as above, are my PC controls going to be forced to change or can i keep them?

But, if anything this will pump new blood and life (money) into a game that needs it and it should boost the overall game.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    About time that Cryptic overhauled the GUI, late but at least a hooray is in order!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Have to admit I am thrilled by this news. My laptop is somewhat tired after three years of playing STO several hours per day on a daily basis.

A PS4/Xbox One is FAR less expensive than a gaming laptop. BONUS!!!

I think you can also get a keyboard and mouse for consoles, as well, so you could have the cake and eat it!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

This is probably the reason They had to drop the Mac Client.
  • lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    The question is: What happens to my Lifetime Membership or my store purchases? I will not buy everything again...
  • joeyslasherjoeyslasher Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    I want to know if I can use my pc acoun to play on my ps4 or do I have to make a new account and rebuy all it ships
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    I dont understand why you bring this to a console. Controllers dont have a spacebar
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Now this..this I wasn't expecting. Will we be able to port over existing characters to XB1/PS4, or will it require an entirely new character investment? At least I'll be able to switch seamlessly from Destiny* to STO...

*People do still play it, and I for one enjoy it - it's not everybody's cup-of-tea, but then again neither is Star Wars/Trek, or CoD/Battlefield.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    In addition to all of these exciting changes, we’ve also made some improvements to episodic flow and player progression that will really improve the experience for everyone.

Definitely worried about this as every time this has been done before xp has been cut and grind has increased exponentially. Wonder how many missions are going to disappear?

On the plus side the news may be good for those with consoles.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Wait, you ACTUALLY have some engine updates planned? That's incredible.

Looking forward to seeing how the controls work for consoles. As long as the PC experience is not being drastically altered to accommodate the console crowd...
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I'm there
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    Will X-Box and PS4 players be able to play with PC players? That's probably the biggest question I have since it'd be a great opportunity to have a game to play with a good friend of mine.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    tymersto wrote: »

I'm almost entirely certain that whatever improvements they have added to the lighting will be entirely optional. You can probably just either not turn them on, or if they are on by default, simply turn them off. I will not say though that there won't be some kind of performance hit even with graphics turned to similar level as you currently have them. After any kind of "big engine upgrade" there is almost always an increase to the specs needed. Let's just hope that these upgrades won't be too big a hit.
    phrg wrote: »

I'd be willing to bet that the streamlining of the UI can be an option for those of us on a PC, but that we will have the option to keep things as they are. Or, as close to it as can be considering they are "upgrading" the UI.

I'm just curious about one thing, are PC, XBone and PS4 able to play together or if there is going to be a separate server for each. I know Neverwinter is on the XBone at least, but no clue if PC and XBone player can play together. I suppose if THEY can, STO should be able to as well.

Can't say that I personally will be playing anytime soon on a console, I just barely bought a 360 last summer. And I only bought that because my original XBox decided to die. Heck, I still play my Dreamcast. :)

Nice to see efforts are being made though to keep STO alive and even potentially growing.

Live long and prosper, STO!
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    I would imagine that They are probably going to have a separate server for the consoles like Neverwinter does.

So everybody who uses a console will most likely be starting from scratch.

B)
  • brianduselbriandusel Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    STO is crushing in the awesome news department. My only question is if it'll be cross-platform or will each piece have its own server? Will I be playing the same characters on all platforms or making new characters. I'm good either way, I'm just really excited. Damn, I guess I have two questions. Will this require XBox Live and PS Plus? I'm going to guess yes because to play most games online you need those subscriptions.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Have to admit I am thrilled by this news. My laptop is somewhat tired after three years of playing STO several hours per day on a daily basis.

A PS4/Xbox One is FAR less expensive than a gaming laptop. BONUS!!!
    I think you can also get a keyboard and mouse for consoles, as well, so you could have the cake and eat it!
    I've heard of people taking an X-Box and installing Linux on it. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg