test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online Coming to Console - Confirmed

Comments

• reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    A move to console would be silly if they ran the risk of losing the license when CBS's new series goes live.
    So i call it a good sign.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    A move to console would be silly if they ran the risk of losing the license when CBS's new series goes live.

I really don't think there's any such risk. One, STO is still profitable. Two, Cryptic has the license up until at least 2018, with an option to renew. Three, an active Star Trek MMO will only drive more viewers to the show -- and, conversely, a current Star Trek show will drive more players to try the MMO. So it's win-win for both CBS and Cryptic, so I don't see why they wouldn't renew the license and keep milking the cow.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    reynoldsxd wrote: »

I really don't think there's any such risk. One, STO is still profitable. Two, Cryptic has the license up until at least 2018, with an option to renew. Three, an active Star Trek MMO will only drive more viewers to the show -- and, conversely, a current Star Trek show will drive more players to try the MMO. So it's win-win for both CBS and Cryptic, so I don't see why they wouldn't renew the license and keep milking the cow.

well a bigger company may get interested in but otherwise cryptic is probably safe.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    I didn't hear anything remotely indicating a console port listening to the P1 interview to my ears. Any quotes that makes you think it would?

If you want STO on your TV, you can get a HDMI video sender along with a wireless keyboard/mouse(done this before) to pong your PC's output to it, or you might find a PC stick that's powerful enough or just build a tiny Mini-ITX system for it.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2016
    tom61sto wrote: »
    I didn't hear anything remotely indicating a console port listening to the P1 interview to my ears. Any quotes that makes you think it would?

If you want STO on your TV, you can get a HDMI video sender along with a wireless keyboard/mouse(done this before) to pong your PC's output to it, or you might find a PC stick that's powerful enough or just build a tiny Mini-ITX system for it.

did you read my reasoning in the op on how I came to that conclusion? If you want I can give you the first 20mins of the Interview all transcribed, specially that part that made me come to that conclusion.
    6tviTDx.png

edited May 2016
    Here you go:
    34:54 - Winters?: So going for the mention about new players coming in and starting with everyone else and leveling up to level 60; What happens when these new characters from the TOS get to level 60, will they be able to access the end-game content the same and what about future story content?

35:10 - Al: That's a, that's a really good question, wel... I I I'm not going to get too much into details how's that's going to work uh, I can tell you if you're if you're familiar with 'Legacy of Romulus' that's one way we did it in 'Legacy of Romulus' so we've got way too much content and and this is not a separate game, so I don't want people think that if you're going to play TOS faction that you're just going to be in the TOS world and that we are going to make all our, we're going to make hundreds of hours worth of content for the TOS expansion and and make, and have all its own separate queues and were gonna be bifurcating the community, that's just that's just silly. That's not viable, its not sustainable, that's not good business, it would be great but then might as well just make a separate game, uh, at that point. We actually thought; "hmmmm should we make a TOS game, uuuh maybe we'll do that " but that's, you know, Star Trek Online is doing way too well to be competing with itself so we're just going to put that here and so uh, but because we're not making a separate game, TOS players will in some form get, at some point able to play most of the content that is available to the rest of the uh the rest of the players, its just its just the only answer to that, um, otherwise we're just splitting the community, were not doing that. So um, um, so if you're familiar with 'Legacy of Romulus' you can you can look at that that is that's a possible way we might do that.

36:35 - Winters?: Well that's just a neat little Segway into sorta the next thing we were thinking, thinking of the fleet system, will this be related to the Romulan faction, will you potentially need to choose a side to access your content, will the players have to be aligned with the twenty four oh nine feds, and what about fleet starbases and sorta things?

36:35 - Al: Well I I I I don't think I can reall y explain it anymore than I just did without getting into more details that im that im prepared to say and I apologize there a there's a end on how we are going to released certain amounts of information but uh uh so I I don't think I can really say say much more than that, you know eventually, you know, TOS players will eventually have access to to uh it it wont be separated from the rest of the community, you know, at at at first they, um, you're gonna be be TOS player and then at some you'll be able to access same content that/of everyone else and be integrated in the community and so that would include queues as well as faction and that's that's about all I can probably say right now.​​

and: http://www.arcgames.com/de/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9946553-fedcon:-nur-noch-48-stunden!
    From the above linked blog:
    Executive Producer Stephen Ricossa und Lead Artist Samuel Wall werden am Freitag und Samstag Pannels zu Star Trek Online halten. Sie berichten über Star Trek Online und die bereits angekündigte Erweiterung Agents of Yesterday. Darüber hinaus haben Stephen und Samuel große Neuigkeiten im Gepäck (browsergames.de).
    Executive Producer Stephen Ricossa and Lead Artist Samuel Wall will hold on Friday and Saturday Pannels to Star Trek Online. They report on Star Trek Online and the previously announced extension agents of Yesterday. In addition, Stephen and Samuel big news in the luggage (browsergames.de).

and from the link to browsergames blog:
    Was Spielebetreiber Perfect World im Detail ankündigen wird, ist nicht bekannt. Lediglich so viel: Es handelt sich um eine Weltpremiere und bislang die größte Ankündigung für Star Trek Online. Wenn sich also Executive Producer Stephen Ricossa auf den Weg nach Deutschland macht, dürfen wir einiges erwarten.
    What games operator Perfect World will announce in detail, is not known. Only so much: It is a world first and so far the biggest announcement for Star Trek Online. Thus, when Executive Producer Stephen Ricossa makes his way to Germany, we can expect something.

and: 2elKDgm.jpg

thanks to @kyle223cat for pointing that out yesterday.

6tviTDx.png

• mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Gross.
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Other then the PC tab I don't see where people are drawing this conclusion from. Al said in the interview that he didn't want to separate the community. As far as I know Neverwinter PC and Xbox One can't play together so wouldn't a console version of STO contradict his statement? Also I just don't see space combat working with a controller. The UI would have to be redesigned and the amount of active space abilities you could have at one time would be severely limited.
    sstosig2.png
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    [quote="evilmark444;12928606"]Maybe it's going to be xbox only and require kinect, blink twice for engineering team, scratch your rear for BFaW?[/quote]

Look at kinect and shake fist to enable threatening stance? Lol
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Would fit the simplification they put STO through through the years. Maybe next year at this time we have big, screen filling buttons just labeled "go" on everything, so it's console compatible pig-2.gif​​

Just make a "Make it GO" button that does everything! Pakled Edition!

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    Ok so this maybe! a possibility but they recently stopped Mac support so why do you think that adding code to the game for XBone and PS3 is less of a challenge that MAC was?​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    unotetsu wrote: »
    Would fit the simplification they put STO through through the years. Maybe next year at this time we have big, screen filling buttons just labeled "go" on everything, so it's console compatible pig-2.gif

It would be a "I Win" button of sorts lol​​
    JtaDmwW.png
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    unotetsu wrote: »
    Would fit the simplification they put STO through through the years. Maybe next year at this time we have big, screen filling buttons just labeled "go" on everything, so it's console compatible pig-2.gif

It would be a "I Win" button of sorts lol​​

wouldn't that be the same as currently "mashing your spacebar"?

besides I'm open to new possibilities... STO on consoles could be fun...
    6tviTDx.png

• bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    walligig wrote: »
    The UI would have to be redesigned and the amount of active space abilities you could have at one time would be severely limited.

TBH streamlining the UI would be the best thing that could happen to STO. I mean it works for NW...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary

did you read my reasoning in the op on how I came to that conclusion? If you want I can give you the first 20mins of the Interview all transcribed, specially that part that made me come to that conclusion.

OK, reading the transcribed section, the blog references, and looking at the screenshot, I still don't see where you even got the implication of a console port...

"What games operator Perfect World will announce in detail, is not known. Only so much: It is a world first and so far the biggest announcement for Star Trek Online."

A console port of a PC game wouldn't be a worlds first, hell, it's not even the first game Cryptic has ported to a console, so that's not it.

"PC" tab I'm tentatively viewing as "This game no longer works on Mac (directly)" and to make keep tracking of platforms that various Arc games work on a bit easier.
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Maybe they are announcing Star Trek Online 2?
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

OK, reading the transcribed section, the blog references, and looking at the screenshot, I still don't see where you even got the implication of a console port...

"What games operator Perfect World will announce in detail, is not known. Only so much: It is a world first and so far the biggest announcement for Star Trek Online."

A console port of a PC game wouldn't be a worlds first, hell, it's not even the first game Cryptic has ported to a console, so that's not it.

"PC" tab I'm tentatively viewing as "This game no longer works on Mac (directly)" and to make keep tracking of platforms that various Arc games work on a bit easier.

also read the very last line of my OP
    6tviTDx.png

also read the very last line of my OP

Last line of OP:
    Maybe I'm getting all the clues all wrong...

Fair enough I guess. I'm still genuinely curious how you got to conclusion of a console port, though.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    semalda226 wrote: »
    Maybe they are announcing Star Trek Online 2?
    Right after offering to preorder a $125 pack, announcing some new VA and a new expansion?

That would be a very bad move marketingly speaking.

Also, what the heck, who announces a new iteration of a MMO that is still active and having new content planned?

Who said "Lucasarts with TOR and Galaxies"?...
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    walligig wrote: »
    Also I just don't see space combat working with a controller. The UI would have to be redesigned and the amount of active space abilities you could have at one time would be severely limited.
    Alternatively buffs and powers could be lumped together or automated. STO definitely wouldn't work if you slapped the gameplay as is onto a controller. People can try this for themselves by plugging one in now. There's ways around those difficulties though if you, say, simplified abilities into offensive buffs, heals, and enemy debuffs.

3 buttons for most everything, 4th interact, bumpers for esoteric special abilities [ex. carrier pet launch, change mode], d-pad for shields, triggers for weapons.

Instead of giving you individual powers equipped boffs, consoles, and captain abilities would contribute to the effect of each of these 3 core abilities. EVERYTHING would need to be rebalanced, some stuff removed [ex. evasive maneuvers], and a lot of core ideas for how new powers are designed would have to be thrown out the window [with a few compensations.]

But it's not quite fair to say that space combat couldn't work on a console/controller (there was Star Trek Legacy after all, it's theoretically possible.) Cryptic has options but whether developing those would ever pay off is a huge question [to which the answer is probably a firm no.]
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I'm still betting on the announcement being something to do with Trek-2017.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    Just in time for agents of yesterday.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I hope they got Walter to record this.... but in his words.... "Guess who's coming to diner".

Now we know why things have been getting simplified and "optimized" over the last year or so. I had a feeling this was coming.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Am i the only one amused so many people said yesterday that consoles wont and cant happen and today they announce its happening? Im cool with it another reason to get a ps4 anyways
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Am i the only one amused so many people said yesterday that consoles wont and cant happen and today they announce its happening? Im cool with it another reason to get a ps4 anyways

????

Where did you see that announcement??
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I mean it only makes sense...

If you've heard the latest Priority One Podcast with Cptn Geko he gives enough information that makes me come to the conclusion that Star Trek Online might be coming to Console...

Think of this, FedCon is coming... And PWE has a 'BIG ANNOUNCEMENT' for STO and it's not the Expansion 3 news (so it seems)

Now from the details Geko gave in the latest interview the new TOS faction will be like(similar) to the romulans, but it'll have its own story arc, it's own sector block, quadrant etc... Geko also mentions that TOS faction captains will be able to play 'some but not all' end-game coneltent from the regular factions... FED - ROM - KDF... at 'some point'

So my guess is that Expansion 3 will introduce the TOS faction that is also simple enough to introduce in a console release...

Plus why did the STO forums suddenly get a PC section?!? The only other PWE games that have a PC section for the game's forums are the ones that have a console counterpart... - thanks to @kyle223cat for pointing this out.

Thoughts?

Before you say; "Not gonna happen!" I know but it's worth a thought.

another sto console debate, it ends the same way it usually does. it gets shot down.

i doubt the developers would be willing to nerf the game and its abilities just to satisfy the the console gamers, it also makes no real sense from a business point of view, to build an engine for the console version and make it compatible cross platforms between the pc version and the console version and alienate the players who have been around to accept this. another thing to worry about is ARC, why would anyone be willing to use it through ARC because you know they will shove that thing on the latest version for the console and like microsoft live, it is a risk to use and not a lot of people are real interested in yet another launcher and another website to register through.

there are a lot of potential problems to even consider.. i just dont see it happening besides the devs dont have the time for anything besides their content and the expansion over the last half a year or more.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    I mean it only makes sense...

If you've heard the latest Priority One Podcast with Cptn Geko he gives enough information that makes me come to the conclusion that Star Trek Online might be coming to Console...

Think of this, FedCon is coming... And PWE has a 'BIG ANNOUNCEMENT' for STO and it's not the Expansion 3 news (so it seems)

Now from the details Geko gave in the latest interview the new TOS faction will be like(similar) to the romulans, but it'll have its own story arc, it's own sector block, quadrant etc... Geko also mentions that TOS faction captains will be able to play 'some but not all' end-game coneltent from the regular factions... FED - ROM - KDF... at 'some point'

So my guess is that Expansion 3 will introduce the TOS faction that is also simple enough to introduce in a console release...

Plus why did the STO forums suddenly get a PC section?!? The only other PWE games that have a PC section for the game's forums are the ones that have a console counterpart... - thanks to @kyle223cat for pointing this out.

Thoughts?

Before you say; "Not gonna happen!" I know but it's worth a thought.

another sto console debate, it ends the same way it usually does. it gets shot down.

i doubt the developers would be willing to nerf the game and its abilities just to satisfy the the console gamers, it also makes no real sense from a business point of view, to build an engine for the console version and make it compatible cross platforms between the pc version and the console version and alienate the players who have been around to accept this. another thing to worry about is ARC, why would anyone be willing to use it through ARC because you know they will shove that thing on the latest version for the console and like microsoft live, it is a risk to use and not a lot of people are real interested in yet another launcher and another website to register through.

there are a lot of potential problems to even consider.. i just dont see it happening besides the devs dont have the time for anything besides their content and the expansion over the last half a year or more.
    You don't see it happening? What's this, then?

Console Version Announcement

Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    Wow, three of us at once.