test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Foundry addition - Empty Ground Map

With last week's patch we got a little present from Zero, and empty ground map. It has no geometry.

Here's where you find it in the "Outdoor" map menu.

q6DlZvI.jpg

Now, it does have a floor, which Zero tells us she had to have otherwise it crashed. The floor is at 0.

iiaa0Ip.jpg

The map appears to have a ceiling of about 152. Here's what it looks like with an invisible floor at 150 (Zero Altitude)

V6g97is.jpg

It does have an edge in the playable area, you fall off about 15 feet down and it gives you the option to beam up. If you want to build something with windows, you can easily hang something off the edge of this floor and then the player won't see it.

QH85meT.jpg

0eMnwQ8.jpg

The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Comments

• Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    sweet. Thanks Zero
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    lorne12lorne12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    Thanks Zero, now let's see what we can do with this new feature...
    You read an lorne12™ post

bZVIEMl.jpg
  • Options
    csrr12905csrr12905 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Just wish the floor would have been invisible. I've been planning this awesome mission, with the player fighting True Way across the hull of a starship in EVA suits, but it's kind of hard to do with a glaring white floor right there :(
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    csrr12905 wrote: »
    Just wish the floor would have been invisible. I've been planning this awesome mission, with the player fighting True Way across the hull of a starship in EVA suits, but it's kind of hard to do with a glaring white floor right there :(

I was thinking about that. Don't get me wrong, even having this as it is means more options. Out of curiosity, has anyone published anything with this map to see if that grid shows up or becomes invisible?
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer

This is a tough call to make, and we've gone back and forth on it.

The map needs some piece of geo to function. If we made that geo invisible, it'd still have collision, and then you have some invisible (even to the author) piece of collision in a very specific spot on every map.

Or. . . we make that piece visible, so you can work around it.

For the starship EVA bit, just bring the hull above the plane, so it's hidden.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »

The map needs some piece of geo to function. If we made that geo invisible, it'd still have collision, and then you have some invisible (even to the author) piece of collision in a very specific spot on every map.

Would a placeable asset of some kind that made sections of this invisible be a possibility?

Regardless, awesome awesome addition, thanks a bunch!
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    [The map needs some piece of geo to function. If we made that geo invisible, it'd still have collision, and then you have some invisible (even to the author) piece of collision in a very specific spot on every map.

So this would be the ideal scenario for us. I think we all assumed that falling forever would be bad, so an invisible floor is the logical solution. Having the floor have any texture means we have to work extra hard to hide it.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    What about a single, relatively small, textured object to indicate the height of the floor, with the rest of the extent invisible?

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User

<doesnt know how hard it is>
    or you can make a space colored carpet tile to place on the ground :dizzy:
    </gives in to reality>
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    I think as long as the floor is at an intuitive height (such as y=0) it won't be confusing if it's invisible.
  • Options
    johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    GreenDragoon has the right idea i think. An invisible floor with plenty of height to build on with that floor as zero and maybe the roof at 2000. That way you can, if you wish, walk on air.
  • Options
    solastriussolastrius Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Amazing addition!

So glad I checked this forum and learned about it. Thanks, Zero.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    GreenDragoon has the right idea i think. An invisible floor with plenty of height to build on with that floor as zero and maybe the roof at 2000. That way you can, if you wish, walk on air.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JCehDOy54
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."