test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In honor of TOS: Captain rank cap

So, to honor the tradition of Captain being the hero rank in TOS (and every TV series afterward :tongue: ), could we please have our TOS character's rank titles, NOT levels, capped at Captain (with those who hold Fleet (guild) ownership status able to gain the TITLE of Commodore). For those who reach level 60, the title of Fleet Captain unlocks.

The dev team still has several months to implement this, and it would be an awesome tribute to the Original Series. :)

Comments

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I support this idea.

And must say, wow, I'd consider switching my main to a brand new character if that happened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Pretty sure the Dahar Masters will object.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    A lot of people would like a captain cap and commodore and fleet captain ranks. A lot of people would like the status quo. Since you can't take things away from people, status quo remains - as it has been for the last six years.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    edited May 2016
    No thx. Think god of death would be more appropriate or at least grim reaper title would be nice. 1 of my chars alone has slaughtered tens of millions by now.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Since you can't take things away from people, status quo remains - as it has been for the last six years.​​

I can't wait to get home from work today so I can hop on STO, and go run some Aid the Planet missions in the B'Tran cluster!

Oh wait ... ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    I think the only way of ever getting a true "Captain" rank again would be, if they raise(!) the cap and make the "final" rank: "Captain (Demoted)" ;)
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Good idea!
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • thescottybthescottyb Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I think the only way of ever getting a true "Captain" rank again would be, if they raise(!) the cap and make the "final" rank: "Captain (Demoted)" ;)

Anything else is a waste of material.
    Unofficial Skill Planner v0.8 last updated 6 May 2016
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    how about actually throwing commodore into the ranks before fleet admiral?
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    OP why don't you just RP and "pretend" to be a Captain and leave it alone. Some people do that.

Just speaking for myself but this is the Worst Idea Ever and was brought up before with no success in the past. I do not support it and actually like to be a Fleet Admiral.​​
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Again no. I did not single handedly end the Iconian War to be rank caped at Commodore. Even Fleet Admiral is too low a rank for achievements of the majesty preformed by my charcter.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    And what about Pikes wheelchair *Beep*
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    A lot of people would like a captain cap and commodore and fleet captain ranks. A lot of people would like the status quo. Since you can't take things away from people, status quo remains - as it has been for the last six years.​​

That's just it, since these TOS characters are NEW characters, nothing is being taken away.

They are simply (and rightfully) honoring TOS by capping the 'action hero' (your new TOS character) at Captain rank - NOT level. They are still going to be able to level to 60 (and by doing so gain Fleet Captain title). So, if anything they are gaining something unique (Fleet Captain and possible Commodore titles) while staying true to the feel and flavor of TOS.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    That's just it, since these TOS characters are NEW characters, nothing is being taken away.

They are simply (and rightfully) honoring TOS by capping the 'action hero' (your new TOS character) at Captain rank - NOT level. They are still going to be able to level to 60 (and by doing so gain Fleet Captain title). So, if anything they are gaining something unique (Fleet Captain and possible Commodore titles) while staying true to the feel and flavor of TOS.

Ah, so a different level title for those new TOS characters? Sorry, I misunderstood - I'd be fine with that. Problem is, you probably have people whining their TOS character can't be fleet admiral then. You always have somebody complaining pig-3.gif

Since you can't take things away from people, status quo remains - as it has been for the last six years.

I can't wait to get home from work today so I can hop on STO, and go run some Aid the Planet missions in the B'Tran cluster!

Oh wait ... ;)

They remove game content all the time, but nothing people paid for or "earned" pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Actually, Kirk was OiC Starfleet Operations at the time of TMP - if anything, he demoted Captain Decker to first officer (most likely due to his experience in commanding a starship). Kirk was only demoted to captain after the events of Star Trek IV.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    The thing is, I support the idea only in the sense that it's how it 'should' have been done. Now that it is the way it is, changing it would be a disaster.

On a side note, the e-rage would be delicious to that entity from Day Of The Dove episode.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    So, to honor the tradition of Captain being the hero rank in TOS (and every TV series afterward :tongue: ), could we please have our TOS character's rank titles, NOT levels, capped at Captain (with those who hold Fleet (guild) ownership status able to gain the TITLE of Commodore). For those who reach level 60, the title of Fleet Captain unlocks.

The dev team still has several months to implement this, and it would be an awesome tribute to the Original Series. :)

you forget even Kirk made Admiral in the ToS movies and he was still the hero, being a hero has little to do with your title and more to do with your refusal to quit.

if you really don't want to have your ToS character to rank above captain take him to that rank and discard him.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

you forget even Kirk made Admiral in the ToS movies

One of the longstanding themes that Kirk represented in those movies was that Admiral was a desk job and that Captain was where the action was. It's why a later post in the thread suggests Captain (demoted).

I'm pretty sure the OP is very much aware of Kirk as an Admiral in the movies. However briefly Kirk was that rank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    reyan01 wrote: »
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    Actually, Kirk was OiC Starfleet Operations at the time of TMP - if anything, he demoted Captain Decker to first officer (most likely due to his experience in commanding a starship). Kirk was only demoted to captain after the events of Star Trek IV.

Kirk was demoted to Captain in TMP, in order to take command of the Enterprise.
    macaucabletv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Cinemax-STAR-TREK-THE-MOTION-PICTURE1.jpg (rank insignia)

Quote from Memory Alpha: "After convincing Admiral Nogura that he was the best man to meet the threat, Kirk rushed the Enterprise into service, assuming the rank of captain for the duration of the mission"

There would have been no need for him to demote Decker if he had retained his Admiral rank.

I'll defer to your better knowledge on that matter, however Kirk is still referred to as Admiral Kirk from TWoK to TVH. I could be wrong, but I don't recall him receiving a temporary demotion..as a general rule, "captain" is the position whereas "Captain" is the rank - your characters ingame have been referred to as "captain" whilst holding the rank of LtCmdr/Cmdr/Rear Admiral/Vice Admiral/Admiral/Fleet Admiral; the only time you have been referred to as "Captain" is between levels 30 and 40. As stated above though, I could be wrong.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Muhahahahahahahaa

/support
    edited May 2016

Kirk was demoted to Captain in TMP, in order to take command of the Enterprise.
    macaucabletv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Cinemax-STAR-TREK-THE-MOTION-PICTURE1.jpg (rank insignia)

Quote from Memory Alpha: "After convincing Admiral Nogura that he was the best man to meet the threat, Kirk rushed the Enterprise into service, assuming the rank of captain for the duration of the mission"

There would have been no need for him to demote Decker if he had retained his Admiral rank.

I'll defer to your better knowledge on that matter, however Kirk is still referred to as Admiral Kirk from TWoK to TVH. I could be wrong, but I don't recall him receiving a temporary demotion..as a general rule, "captain" is the position whereas "Captain" is the rank - your characters ingame have been referred to as "captain" whilst holding the rank of LtCmdr/Cmdr/Rear Admiral/Vice Admiral/Admiral/Fleet Admiral; the only time you have been referred to as "Captain" is between levels 30 and 40. As stated above though, I could be wrong.

TWOK onward he was never 'officially' the Enterprise's commanding officer:

TWOK: Whilst he was an Admiral, he wasn't the Enterprise's commanding officer - Captain Spock was. He was aboard the Enterprise to observe the Cadet training cruise. Captain Spock deferred to him due to their friendship and the fact that the circumstances (ship crewed by Cadets) were far from ideal.

TSfS: He stole the Enterprise. That doesn't count.

And he was demoted back to Captain before taking command of the 1701-A

A fair point, but I have another way of putting that last post of mine.

One can hold the rank of Commander, yet not be the commanding officer/commander of their vessel; on the flipside, you can call yourself the commander of your ship but hold the rank of Captain, LtC, or otherwise.

However, I admit defeat - you presented a well-versed argument without resorting to name-calling (rather surprising, considering the forums these days).
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    I wholeheartly support the OP suggestion.
    I think it depends on how TOS will be integrated into STO.
    Will it be a Romulan faction 2.0 or rather just a character based thing like the Delta event?
    If it's a afilliated faction thing, i can very much imagine a own rank structure, similar like romulan characters have.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited May 2016
    Regarding the "Admiral taking command", I'm reminded of one of the last scenes in "Down Periscope" - the jerk-nugget Admiral states to the CO/bridge crew of the nuclear submarine he's aboard (I forget the name) "the admiral has the conn", shortly before the USS Stingray fires torpedoes at the condemned ship in US Naval Base Norfolk* ("You're not a superior officer, sir, just a higher ranking one!" - one of the more memorable lines from that film, IMO :smiley:).

It may be that the TOS/TMP-era was written out to be largely based on the 20th Century US Navy, but I have very little knowledge of that particular field.

*I was going to go into an anecdote about that entire scene, but thought better of it.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It definitely makes sense. By 2409/10, Admirals are routinely commanding ships, in 2270 that definitely was not the case so it makes sense to stylise the ranks to match this.

I think we may need to have something like this:

1 - Ensign
    3 - Lieutenant Junior Grade
    10 - Lieutenant
    20 - Lieutenant Commander
    30 - Commander
    40 - Captain
    50 - Fleet Captain
    60 - Commodore

That fills the gaps up in the ranking system by removing Admirals, which are in-universe a no go. I've added Fleet Captain and Commodore because we have the Admiralty System to think of, with those two ranks we can remain in command of a ship but still be bossing other captains around.
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    You folks need to understand that Admiral is just a rank. It is not a specific job. An Admiral can do many things, not even specifically related to the command of ships. There are admirals that deal in communications, logistics, special forces. We're fleet admirals who's job it is to represent and generally kick TRIBBLE. If anyone tries to pull rank on us while we're doing our job, we're basically covered.
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    farshore wrote: »
    You folks need to understand that Admiral is just a rank. It is not a specific job. An Admiral can do many things, not even specifically related to the command of ships. There are admirals that deal in communications, logistics, special forces. We're fleet admirals who's job it is to represent and generally kick TRIBBLE. If anyone tries to pull rank on us while we're doing our job, we're basically covered.

Of course they can, but that doesn't change the fact we know how things worked in the Starfleet of the 2270s and that Admirals were not normally serving as commanding officers, they were dealing with things like logistics, special forces, paperwork, etc.

In 2410 things are different of course, but if we become an Admiral in 2270 and still fly around in a ship it breaks the canon of the show and movies, because Kirk would have just pointed our captain out in the movies, which he obviously didn't do.
    You all seem to be forgetting one key fact: by 2409, and definitely by 2410, the Federation was fighting a hot war on multiple fronts - the Borg, Undine/Species 8472, the Klingons. In the 23rd Century, it was largely a "Cold War" with the Enterprise merely defending herself against attacks by opportunistic (and most likely rogue) elements of the Klingon Empire and Romulans.

Because of the losses of command-capable officers - due to assimilation, Undine replacement, or being KIA - promising cadets/warriors/civilians (i.e. your characters) are being pushed out with a commission and several rapid and subsequent promotions for feats of bravery and skill - what better way to repay those characters?

It's also a way of giving you access to higher-tier/"more powerful" ships, since the better ships are usually reserved for superior/higher ranking officers.
    MXeSfqV.jpg