test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek: Beyond...

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    I have a distinct feeling that a MASSIVE Probe that has just traveled across the universe looking for the whales, would have been able to tell the difference between a recording and an actual answer from living creatures.
    Let alone that it would have probably been able to scan for those same living creatures on the planet.

b3141bc780924fd0dc7c28e7022ac155.jpg

Probably. But would it really be unable to tell that there was other intelligent species on that world it was trying to destroy?

I mean, it sucks to lose a good friend like that, but you might want to at least talk with the people on the world and tell them they suck, too.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Apparently being able to tell, and then actually Caring... is not a trait exclusive to humans.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Indeed, until this thread my understanding was that to decimate something was to destroy the vast majority of it, as that is the only way I've seen and heard it used.

I don't know if it's because I'm English or because we had to take Roman history as part of classes; but I have always 'known' what the word means. I have only ever seen it used in the 'wrong' way in a very few books and films (such as into the darkness) which is why I brought it up.

I am not attempting to be pretentious - I actually thought this was a major flaw that most people would have seen themselves.

If 'decimated' is now widely used as a term to describe something else; then I apologise for my remarks, and it would appear that it is me who is wrong. Therefore I retract any and all disparaging comments regarding the word.

I wouldn't doubt it being a cultural difference, everything I read or watch is an American production for the most part. I've always seen it used something like this "admiral, the fleet was decimated in the attack and there are almost no survivors!"
    I have a distinct feeling that a MASSIVE Probe that has just traveled across the universe looking for the whales, would have been able to tell the difference between a recording and an actual answer from living creatures.
    Let alone that it would have probably been able to scan for those same living creatures on the planet.

Tbh, I've always viewed the voyage home as one of the weaker trek movies story wise, but the humor and TOS time travel episode feel more than makes up for it
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »

There is nothing to respect about someone judging something without actually seeing it, never has been never will be.

And there is nothing to respect to the ones who watched it as well. As its their views. And their views is different from others.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    Baaaa....

shaun-the-sheep_onward_journey_image_bid.png

f1118172cc250caac5469f35ce13f12e.jpg
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, I'm never going to say a movie is bad without watching it at least once.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Baaaa....

So let me understand this then... if your friend, whom you know from experience shares very similar tastes to yours, ate something that they said tasted absolutely awful, was the most vile thing they ever ate and caused them to uncontrollably vomit/lose their bowels, you'd still want to eat it yourself just so you can say you did?

If that's true, more power to you.
    Careful - if you keep making strawmen like that, you're going to get hay all up in your underpants.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Baaaa....

So let me understand this then... if your friend, whom you know from experience shares very similar tastes to yours, ate something that they said tasted absolutely awful, was the most vile thing they ever ate and caused them to uncontrollably vomit/lose their bowels, you'd still want to eat it yourself just so you can say you did?

If that's true, more power to you.
    daredevil_minion_by_maclpirata-d6xtamr.jpg

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Indeed, until this thread my understanding was that to decimate something was to destroy the vast majority of it, as that is the only way I've seen and heard it used.

I don't know if it's because I'm English or because we had to take Roman history as part of classes; but I have always 'known' what the word means. I have only ever seen it used in the 'wrong' way in a very few books and films (such as into the darkness) which is why I brought it up.

I am not attempting to be pretentious - I actually thought this was a major flaw that most people would have seen themselves.

If 'decimated' is now widely used as a term to describe something else; then I apologise for my remarks, and it would appear that it is me who is wrong. Therefore I retract any and all disparaging comments regarding the word.

I wouldn't doubt it being a cultural difference, everything I read or watch is an American production for the most part. I've always seen it used something like this "admiral, the fleet was decimated in the attack and there are almost no survivors!"

Tbh, I've always viewed the voyage home as one of the weaker trek movies story wise, but the humor and TOS time travel episode feel more than makes up for it
    The humor made it one of my favorites. I guess I am more accepting of story "holes" with comedies then with drama, thrillers or action movies. A comedy doesn't expect to be taken serious. I guess I should watch more action comedies? ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    So, now that the Enterprise has been been destroyed AGAIN, isn't it due for a complete refit ?

I could see them salvaging parts of her from the wreckage and rebuilding and relaunching a completely refitted ship.

I'd go see a new trek film on that alone.

That was one of my favorite moments of TOS trek, LOVED the constitution refit !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Back in the 80s two movies came out very close together, one in 87 one in 88, both were reviewed by Siskel and Ebert, one got a good review, one got a bad review. I am extremely fond of both films, still own copies of them both to this day. Had I bothered to listen to the critics I would not have watched one of them and I would have missed out on a great Warwick Davis performance. Put simply, whatever the subject I make my own decisions what I like or don't like, period.

There is also nothing wrong with accepting the viewpoint or opinion of others to form your own judgment, unless you're utterly paranoid.

His point is that you will never find a critic you agree with 100% of the time, so adhering strictly to what critics say could potentially lead to you robbing yourself of an experience you would otherwise have enjoyed.

Many people like to call the first 2 jj trek movies garbage, I happen to enjoy them (though I have my complaints).

Every review I could find of star wars the force awakens hailed it as the best star wars since the empire strikes back, but I personally think the movie is utter garbage, only slightly better than attack of the clones (and I actually think less of the JJ trek movies after seeing it as well).

When I read reviews of a movie i find interesting, I'm looking for one thing, expectations. If the review is favorable, I get more excited. If it's negative, I get nervous, but I still go see it and develop my own opinion. At the end of the day if a movie interests me in going to see it, no matter what a critic says.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    His point is that you will never find a critic you agree with 100% of the time, so adhering strictly to what critics say could potentially lead to you robbing yourself of an experience you would otherwise have enjoyed.
    I don't disagree, however I will again re-iterate, there is nothing wrong with accepting the viewpoint or opinion of others to form your own judgment. People do this to an extent all the time in various circumstances.
    but using that as the basis for proclaiming that you hate it.... not so much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »

There is nothing to respect about someone judging something without actually seeing it, never has been never will be.

And there is nothing to respect to the ones who watched it as well. As its their views. And their views is different from others.

So you're saying that your uninformed view is as valid as their informed view?

I think Isaac Asimov said it best:
    8fbb9b4a-82cf-4597-8bd0-6b4637e756d9
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »
    farmallm wrote: »
    So you're saying that your uninformed view is as valid as their informed view?

I think Isaac Asimov said it best:
    8fbb9b4a-82cf-4597-8bd0-6b4637e756d9
    There is but one thing I disagree with in that quote. That is the implied notion that this makes the US somehow different than the rest of the world.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    I saw it this past Friday at an advance screening in Hollywood for Paramount International... it was better than the first two films with a ton of throwbacks to TOS/ENT/TNG/DS9/VOY plus the films. You need to see it more than once to get them all I think...

*SPOILER ALERT*

The TOS cast makes a cameo near the end... but not the way I expected.

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    It seems somebody's let Uhura have some sleeves. Now if we can let her wear trousers as well we're golden.​​

Did you actually every watch TOS? I ask because when did they EVER have Uhura wearing trousers? What pretty women in attractive outfits are now 'un-Trek'? This isn't TNG, thanks. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    It seems somebody's let Uhura have some sleeves. Now if we can let her wear trousers as well we're golden.​​

Did you actually every watch TOS? I ask because when did they EVER have Uhura wearing trousers? What pretty women in attractive outfits are now 'un-Trek'? This isn't TNG, thanks. ;)

Not Uhura, no - she appeared one episode too late for that. (The Corbomite Maneuver, as opposed to its two preceding episodes - by order of production, that is.)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Since when was this TOS? Since when was this the 1960s?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    It seems somebody's let Uhura have some sleeves. Now if we can let her wear trousers as well we're golden.

Since when was this TOS? Since when was this the 1960s?
    Since Captain James T. Kirk sat in the center seat of the starship Enterprise, his friend and science officer Spock serving as his first officer as well, with Leonard "Bones" McCoy down in Sickbay and Montgomery "Scotty" Scott nursing his "wee bairns" in Engineering.

(On the other hand, it was Nichelle Nichols who insisted on her uniform skirt being so short - she was, justifiably in my opinion, proud of her legs.)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png