test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Bajoran sun is visible thru the Bulkheads at DS9

azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but there's a ball of light shining through DS9.

pghXKO.jpg

I've noticed this ball of light visible through the southwest bulkheads, so I decided to investigate.

7pVTfm.jpg

It aligns with a lens flare from the Bajoran sun.

R4egFW.jpg

It shines through everything. Even multiple layers of bulkheads.

4rvTZN.jpg

It even shines through people.

Comments

• captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Yeah, I saw that too. It did help make a really cool character screenshot though, didn't it?
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    A lot of stars seem to be visible through things they shouldn't be. I also saw this with the Lukari star - it shone through my starship and asteroids and whatever else was in the way.

I think this is a more general problem with star backgrounds, and not limited to Deep Space Nine or Ground Maps.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    EVERY STAR does this, on every map.

The local star shines through the bulkheads of the Fleet Starbase interior.
    The local star shines through the saucer section of my ship when warping out from Kobali Prime.

Its not something specific to Ground only. It also happens in Space (through your starship).
  • swalldevswalldev Member Posts: 15 Cryptic Developer
    thanks for providing screenshots, We are looking into this issue.
    Swallrus
    Art Lead
  • galactickirigalactickiri Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    I keep seeing it on ESD lately as well...
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    hsBQVZu.jpg

I'm seeing the same effect on the fleet starbase.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    It's EVERYWHERE!!!!

No, really, it pretty much is.
    (that's bad.)
    But I fixed it!
    (that's good!)
    But I did it on the wrong branch. So you won't be seeing it until AoY. . .
    (that's dumb)

Sorry about that. Have patience.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Cheers for the fix, no worries about the branch, AoY will be here soon. :)
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It's EVERYWHERE!!!!

(that's bad.)
    But I fixed it!
    (that's good!)
    (that's dumb)

At least it's fixed. Thank you!

Can you share some insight on what went wrong and what needed to be adjusted/repaired/reworked?

Maybe even *sunglasses on* enlighten us? *CSI SCREEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAMMMM*
    Uh, there's a property we can put on a material to have it draw through EVERYTHING. That property is required on Lens Flare specific materials, so that when the source of a lens flare is on screen, you can see the lens flare out in front of the wall that is between you and the source. Lens flares get very special handling though to ensure that they don't draw through everything.

But some moron (who's name may or may not start with T and end with aco), put one of those materials on the actual geo disc that is the sun in all of our modern skies. Since that geo is just a thing in the sky, and not a lens flare in and of itself, it doesn't get the special code lens flares do, and thus, it burns through solid walls!
  • captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Uh, there's a property we can put on a material to have it draw through EVERYTHING. That property is required on Lens Flare specific materials, so that when the source of a lens flare is on screen, you can see the lens flare out in front of the wall that is between you and the source. Lens flares get very special handling though to ensure that they don't draw through everything.

But some moron (who's name may or may not start with T and end with aco), put one of those materials on the actual geo disc that is the sun in all of our modern skies. Since that geo is just a thing in the sky, and not a lens flare in and of itself, it doesn't get the special code lens flares do, and thus, it burns through solid walls!

Ah, just tell people it's a JJ Abrams homage.
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    Taco.
    You found the problem.
    You acknowledged the problem.
    You fixed the problem.

For that, you have nothing to apologize for.

That it got fixed on a branch we have to wait for ... no biggie. It's more important that a fix for such a non-critical item happens than that it happens faster.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    It's EVERYWHERE!!!!

(that's bad.)
    But I fixed it!
    (that's good!)
    (that's dumb)

The screenshots that people have posted so far are only of ground maps, but this problem also occurs in system space and sector space. I don't know if your fix covers these cases as well. The problem is pretty easy to see in the Sol System and the DS9 system: the sun will shine right through your ship. It is slightly tricky to reproduce in sector space; you have to be at the right distance from a star.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    frtoaster wrote: »
    It's EVERYWHERE!!!!

(that's bad.)
    But I fixed it!
    (that's good!)
    (that's dumb)

The screenshots that people have posted so far are only of ground maps, but this problem also occurs in system space and sector space. I don't know if your fix covers these cases as well. The problem is pretty easy to see in the Sol System and the DS9 system: the sun will shine right through your ship. It is slightly tricky to reproduce in sector space; you have to be at the right distance from a star.

Taco's fix appears to have fixed the issue in Sol System and the DS9 system and where I was checking in Beta Quadrant, in addition to the various noted ground maps.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    Taco's fix appears to have fixed the issue in Sol System and the DS9 system and where I was checking in Beta Quadrant, in addition to the various noted ground maps.

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that the fix covers those cases as well.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    HAIL TACOFANGS!

Don't worry about it Taco. We still love you. You're awesome.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It's EVERYWHERE!!!!

(that's bad.)
    But I fixed it!
    (that's good!)
    (that's dumb)

Will we be getting a free frogurt with this fix?
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User

Thanks for the insight!
    It's EVERYWHERE!!!!

(that's bad.)
    But I fixed it!
    (that's good!)
    (that's dumb)

Yes, but it contains potassium benzoate.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    "When you crave something sweet, bubbly, and perhaps caffeinated but don't want the calories, it can be tempting to crack open a diet soda—but resist that urge. "Sodium and potassium benzoate are added to some diet soft drinks and fruit drinks," Leslie Bonci, R.D., says. "They can form benzene, which is a carcinogen when combined with vitamin C, the ascorbic acid in juice or soda."

In addition, research shows that there may be a link between diet cola consumption and weight gain, as well as cancer and diabetes, so if you're a diet soda junkie, try to cut back. Our five tips will help you kick the habit.

If you don't drink soda, you're not safe, though: Potassium benzoate often shows up in seemingly innocuous foods such as apple cider, low-fat salad dressings, syrups, jams, olives, and pickles, so read labels."

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yes, but it contains potassium benzoate.
    *blank stare*

That's bad.

https://youtu.be/Krbl911ZPBA?t=24s
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
    Can I go now?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Can I go now?

HAIL TACOFANGS!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Can I go now?

HAIL TACOFANGS!

No response.
    I need a beer.

• bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Well Tacos fix may work for some of the stars, but on a related note...

glowthrough.jpg

I am using the Terran Task Force deflector, and it also shows through things, like my entire ship. The pic here is with my Risian Corvette, but I have been seeing it with any of my ships.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Well Tacos fix may work for some of the stars, but on a related note...

glowthrough.jpg

I am using the Terran Task Force deflector, and it also shows through things, like my entire ship. The pic here is with my Risian Corvette, but I have been seeing it with any of my ships.​​

I've noticed this problem as well, with numerous reputation space pieces, and sometimes on non rep impulse glows.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    @tacofangs I am hearing reports that this problem isn't fixed yet? (The Epic Screenshot thread mentions it for lens flares). I have still to check myself...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    @tacofangs I am hearing reports that this problem isn't fixed yet? (The Epic Screenshot thread mentions it for lens flares). I have still to check myself...

Let me know if you find it's still happening somewhere. It should be 100% fixed now. If it's not, let me know where to look.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    All the Kelvin bridges (particularly noticeable on the Vengeance), sector space outside Jenolan sphere... I'm not sure if there are others.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg