test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Builds still favor tactical too much

For myself running around with different make ups, the upper level engineering and science just doesn't offer any real incentive to take over the tactical options. Engineering it is all power increases which is redundent for me with most gear set ups I have. Even with my captains that aren't geared well I can't imagine the need for all that bonus power over the DPS options from tactical.

The only time I can see a change in that is my control or drain heavy science ship captains. But even that is only slight modification to the builds that still favor tactical.

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    When they finally nerf the TRIBBLE outta Plasmonic Leech and things like it power will become a more scarce resource like it should be once again.

There are uses for them it just depends on your playstyle.
  • Options
    jamiek81jamiek81 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    When they finally nerf the TRIBBLE outta Plasmonic Leech and things like it power will become a more scarce resource like it should be once again.

There are uses for them it just depends on your playstyle.

I am thinking it will get nerfed when science use it as a way to deal dps. lol
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Well then I'd better get to work!
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    To be fair, it's not builds that favor tactical... its the content that favors it. If you had a fight sequence where you had to survive for 3 minutes and killing stuff just caused equal or worse to spawn in so that MOAR DEEPS did nothing, then you might see some tank or control builds. I like the new Na'kuhl que because I can at least pretend that turning on agro stance and flying around above the Na'kuhl in my tank-cruiser does some good by pulling the cones up and away from the transports.

Even something as simple as the Albedo mines (groups of mines that reflect 150% of directed energy attacks) could move a little of the emphasis off of kill-it-now being the universal solution.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Not Aceton drones. Those deliver a PBAoE when hit with directed energy and punish people around them for someone else's sloppy shooting.

The idea behind "Albedo Mines" is they drop about 4 or 5 at a time from a single click and reflect 150% of directed energy directly back at the source of the attack. If you wantonly open up with BFAW or a cannon sprays into a batch of them they will burn you to the ground in seconds. Pick your targets or clean them out with projectiles or fly into them because they're still (weak) mines that will converge on you and explode. In other words... Think before you shoot :). Every ship has the ability to deal with them either by aiming around them or deliberately flying into them.
    Post edited by nikeix on
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    Not Aceton drones. Those deliver a PBAoE when hit with directed energy and punish people around them for someone else's sloppy shooting.

The idea behind "Albedo Mines" is they drop about 4 or 5 at a time from a single click and reflect 150% of directed energy directly back at the source of the attack. If you wantonly open up with BRAW or a cannon sprays into a batch of them they will burn you to the ground in seconds. Pick your targets or clean them out with projectiles or fly into them because they're still (weak) mines that will converge on you and explode. In other words... Think before you shoot :). Every ship has the ability to deal with them either by aiming around them or deliberately flying into them.

Agreed that acetons hurt the rest of the team more than the shooter, especially if said shooter is staying more than 5km out.

But, the "problem" with "Feedback Pulse" mines, as it were, is that it'll encourage one of three things:
    • Clamor for even more automated healing to "survive" the FBPs.
    • Everyone shifting to "LtCmdr Sci" bearing ships so they can gravwell the mines to oblivion then BFaW
    • Reliance on the team's Sci to "deal with the problem", and sci's that don't do so will be lambasted with the usual "noob, L2P, etc." for not saving their keister from their lack of thought.

The only "benefit" I see from this is that people may stop complaining "Sci is OP" if they "need" to rely on Sci DPS to save their own bacon... :tongue:
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    Which would still double the number of roles "needed" to optimize runs.

Now all we need is a mechanic that makes tanky ships part of the optimal team composition without being part of the mandatory team composition and we might have a game with a modicum of depth :).