test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tour the Galaxy shortest path analysis

duneytron2000duneytron2000 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Academy
I've been studying Tour the Galaxy for awhile and wrote a program to calculate optimal routes for a number of variations.

TL;DR - Run optimal standalone route for Beta Quadrant, transwarp to Defera

Was able to ALMOST finish tour with Vesta, borg engine, and green mk xii [coi][ssr] warp core. Made a couple mistakes on turns and slipstream activations, and I have since upgraded the warp core to mk xiv and acquired lead foot, so I'm optimistic for tonight's run.

Full write-up and pictures: here

Note that in the routes with transwarp, the first half can be run in either direction (easier to visualize on the linked page.)

Shortest Total Distance:
Sanek, Qo'noS, Khitomer, New Romulus, Mylasa, Gamma Eridon, Pheben, Iconia, Vorn, Alini, Lirss, Vendor, Argelius, Virinat, Archanis, Drozana, Traelus, Risa, Orion, Teneebia, Nimbus, TRANSWARP to Defera, Defera, Arawath, Algira, DS9, Corwin, Betazed, Chapel, Tellar, Mizar, Tzenketh, Ferenginar, Breen

Distance: 1018.9 LY

Arawath, Algira, DS9, Corwin, Betazed, Chapel, Tellar, Mizar, Tzenketh, Defera, Ferenginar, Breen, TRANSWARP to Sol, Teneebia, Orion, Risa, Traelus, Drozana, Archanis, Virinat, Argelius, Vendor, Nimbus, Lirss, Alini, Vorn, Iconia, Pheben, Gamma Eridon, Mylasa, New Romulus, Khitomer, Qo'noS, Sanek

Distance: 1033.8 LY

Sanek, Qo'noS, Khitomer, New Romulus, Mylasa, Gamma Eridon, Pheben, Iconia, Vorn, Alini, Lirss, Vendor, Argelius, Virinat, Archanis, Drozana, Traelus, Risa, Orion, Teneebia, Nimbus, TRANSWARP to DS9, DS9, Algira, Arawath, Defera, Tzenketh, Mizar, Corwin, Betazed, Chapel, Tellar, Ferenginar, Breen

Distance: 1034.1 LY

Shortest Distance with only 1 Loading Screen
Arawath, Algira, DS9, Corwin, Betazed, Chapel, Tellar, Mizar, Tzenketh, Defera, Ferenginar, Breen, TRANSWARP to Beta Quadrant, Khitomer, Qo'noS, Sanek, Pheben, Gamma Eridon, New Romulus, Mylasa, Iconia, Vorn, Alini, Lirss, Vendor, Argelius, Virinat, Archanis, Drozana, Traelus, Risa, Orion, Teneebia, Nimbus

Distance: 1038.3 LY

Breen, Ferenginar, Mizar, Tzenketh, Defera, Arawath, Algira, DS9, Corwin, Betazed, Chapel, Tellar, ZONE BOUNDARY, Teneebia, Orion, Risa, Traelus, Drozana, Archanis, Virinat, Argelius, Vendor, Nimbus, Lirss, Alini, Vorn, Iconia, Pheben, Gamma Eridon, Mylasa, New Romulus, Khitomer, Qo'noS, Sanek

Distance: 1056.3

Obviously there are a lot of intangibles here, like curvature of the route, zone in times, directions you face, etc. etc. so I expect that there's still some polishing to be done, but I think I can finish the Tour with the shortest route listed here.
Post edited by duneytron2000 on

Comments

• Options
    duneytron2000duneytron2000 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I successfully completed Tour the Galaxy for the first time today, using the Optimal Beta Quadrant route followed by the Transwarp to Defera route. For the record, this was only my second attempt at actually touring the galaxy (since I'd apparently rather spend days writing a program than fly blind hah).

My setup was not extreme:
    Vesta 2pc
    Borg engine mk xii
    Green mk xiv [coi][ssr] warp core
    Lead Foot

In particular, I think the combination of the Chroniton Integrated Quantum Slipstream with Lead Foot makes for some good cornering in slipstream that makes it easier to track closer to the optimal path.

This gave me very fast slipstream at 50% uptime, which mapped pretty well over the beta quadrant route. A little more awkward in the alpha quadrant, and I ended up flying into the ceiling of the map for 10 or 15 seconds and wasting a slipstream after bouncing off a star or something, but still finished with about 40s to spare.

Screen shot proof at the bottom of the previously posted write-up.
  • Options
    glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Duneytron2000

I have been using your excellent work for some time. Thanks.

The problem I have is that since the skills upgrade all of my characters are doing 12.34 at normal speed and warp 30+ at slipstream. Hugely faster than before but I am still only doing the Beta Quadrant. Before I was only missing Selmak but was doing 9.97 and 20.

Anyone else having the same problem?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    You might be losing time due to wider turning arcs. By default the game only slows to half throttle, but if full is warp 12 that's still flying at warp 6 while doing a turn, and warp 3 would make a better turn.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I can typically complete it in a Vesta with Borg Engine, Solenae Core (For space fold), and the polaric module (For QSD turn rate). I use effectively the Beta part from the wiki's walkthrough-only I fly it in reverse, crossing into alpha from Teneebia.

Without the Vesta, just borg or MACO engine, can do Beta and all but one system of Alpha, and even with a normal engine can do All of Beta and 3-5 systems in Alpha. It's the Solenae core and that wonderful Space Fold that's the key.
  • Options
    I am using the Obelisk core so I do get a 20% turn bonus and 50% slipstream recharge. The best result I have had is about 1.5 minutes left after Selmak. That is barely enough time to transwarp to Defera, warp out and then hit the system.

Ah, well looks like I need better gear.

Cheers
  • Options
    waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    I've been working on this on an off for months. I run Lead Foot, Obelisk Warp Core, Borg Impulse Engines and if I can get it Raiding Party. I come about 2 sectors short. Is my gear good enough?
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • Options
    How does one get "Lead Foot"?
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    latest?cb=20100102171045
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".