test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crew where is the crew

2»

Comments

• kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I have no problem with them getting rid of the crew mechanic, it never seemed to work properly anyway. However, I do miss knowing how many crew were ON my ship, even if it doesn't have a game effect. Perhaps they could put that back into the ship's stats somewhere.

I'm with you on this.

Something I am curious about, now that i think about it. Is the passive regen you get based on amount of crew you would have had in the old system, or did they just give everyone the same amount? Or possibly based on ship class?
    Edit: Wow, I feel dumb for not noticing the other threads about this.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    you probably also cosnider doffing a good representation of your crew and admiralty an immersive experience commanding a "fleet". Most of what we have in that regards are just windows, sliders and words, nothing relevant to actual gameplay.​​

I have been a huge fan of DOFFing since it started in STO. So yes? Guilty as charged?

For me it's flavor. I combine that with my imagination and do my best to construct an immersive experience. Video Games always have limitations in that department anyways. I mean, I dunno, it's not like I'm going to say the immersion is DEEP. It's not. But it's just another tool that the game provides that lets me do stuff that to me feels more Trek like.

It's odd since one of the criticisms of my statement that the combat felt Trek and felt immersive was that the only characteristic that person feels is Trek like is that the powers are rife with Trek style technobabble.

But that's kind of a big thing for me. That's key. That makes it more Trek like because it's not generic at that point.

Eh, your mileage likely does vary. I just feel that using a power like Viral Matrix, which comes from a specific Trek episode, doesn't feel generic to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I have been a huge fan of DOFFing since it started in STO. So yes? Guilty as charged?

For me it's flavor. I combine that with my imagination and do my best to construct an immersive experience. Video Games always have limitations in that department anyways. I mean, I dunno, it's not like I'm going to say the immersion is DEEP. It's not. But it's just another tool that the game provides that lets me do stuff that to me feels more Trek like.

It's odd since one of the criticisms of my statement that the combat felt Trek and felt immersive was that the only characteristic that person feels is Trek like is that the powers are rife with Trek style technobabble.

But that's kind of a big thing for me. That's key. That makes it more Trek like because it's not generic at that point.

Eh, your mileage likely does vary. I just feel that using a power like Viral Matrix, which comes from a specific Trek episode, doesn't feel generic to me.

Oh, I wasn't charging you or criticising you in any way. I know sometimes written words just seem in some way hostile but they truly weren't meant like that. It's just different taste we talk about, there's nothing to criticize.

I was meaning what I wrote, I was guessing from what you said you'd consider DOFFing an adequate representation of crew which for me it isn't because, as you said, my mileage does simply vary but that's nothing to hold a debate on pig-1.gif

My point is just that combat in STO is a fast paced, effectfull onslaught of trash mobs. It feels and works like "Diablo" in space. Combat in the shows, for the most time, was slow, strategic, one on one encounters (yes, DS9 had lots of action scenes, but one installment cannot possibly recharacterize the entire franchise). Yes, the abilities use canonical or canon inspired names, but slapping "Viral Matrix" or a "Tyken's Rift" on an enemy while you "Fire at Will" through dozens of small enemy ships is as far from "Trek" combat as you can be. The names are simply that, names tagged onto something I think isn't very appropriate to reflect Trek combat. The same with DOFFing or Admiralty, if there were simple things like having the DOFFs names be somehow integrated in your ship interior and given to generic NPCs or anything like that there would be ana ctual connection between gameplay and minigame. The way it is these two "games" are completely detached from the stuff I do in the game, it's just timegates that run but I know there's nothing really happening. But that's just my opinion and what I think is a wasted opportunity.

Removing the crew mechanic because it was broken and never attempted to fix is also a wasted opportunity in my book because an aspect that could have made combat a bit more strategic was thrown away. I like how the official explanation is that STO is already so complex it doesn't need another mechanic. STO isn't complex, the skill system is (was?) just very confusing and was lacking any documentation whatsoever so nobody knew which thing did what. But that's not complexity.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Ahhhh, ok. I get what you're saying.

Very cool.

I didn't think you were challenging me. But I was going to own up to liking DOFFing.

I do. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    The crew mechanic to me was pretty simple to understand.
    the only problem with it was there was way to many debuffs
    and not enough defense for the crew. but i am glad it is gone
    got tired of long cooldowns on my boff abilities.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    Why are you all still talking about 'crew'?

It's gone :dizzy:

You may as well start talking about a T5/6 Connie...
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Damn it, that Doff doctor *who helped with the Crew healing/recovery phase*, is out of a job.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    truewarper wrote: »
    Damn it, that Doff doctor *who helped with the Crew healing/recovery phase*, is out of a job.

As far as I know, he's been reassigned to hull repair duty.
    I'm sure every one of them has a "I'm a doctor not a X" line from McCoy for that.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    I'm a doctor not an engineer....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    He's not playing engineer... he's injecting stims into the damage control parties :wink:.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    He's not playing engineer... he's injecting stims into the damage control parties :wink:.
    Come to think of it, stimpacks work on a robot (Nick) in Fallout 4. No reason a stimpack can't heal a crippled hull in Star Trek.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Probably works on any post-Voyager Federation ship.

Next the central computer is going to demand coffee.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Did they remove the crew or is it an bug ?

Patch notes is your friend. They tell you all sorts of stuff and help you not look like a noob. ;)
  • adrianasrxadrianasrx Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    I agree that the crew mechanic never really was useful. Considering that they haven't fixed numerous bugs that while not game breaking are very annoying why would anyone think that Cryptic would spend time on a broken mechanic that isn't particularly useful
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Did they remove the crew or is it an bug ?

Nope. It's not A bug. :smile:
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,243 Community Moderator
    edguN8y.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.