test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Permanent Skill Retrain Price Reduction

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1214489/permanent-skill-retrain-price

While i appreciate the cost of items being reduced, i cannot shake the feeling that this was done to prevent a minor revolt.
This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.

Comments

• kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Better than nothing and take what you can get it, is the way I look at it.

500 Zen was crazy. While 300 Zen is still high in comparison to other games out there, it's not so bad with the exchange.

As for preventing a minor revolt, I don't know about that. I think it's more focused around getting increased revenue. Seeing as to what most other games do and why, they should understand this.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    I'm just ammused that we need to comment on it here becuase the new thread is closed to comments.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I have two science toons. One got a full SCI skill, the other one a full TAC skill. The rest of their builds are not the same but still creepy similar. Both ended up with 90k in ISA. *sigh*

At the moment even the free respec token feels too expensive for my taste…
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Meh, while the gesture is appreciated, that change increased my willingness to experiment more with my builds by exactly 0%.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Try again.
    Bridger.png
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Yup...so much for designing a system you could experiment with... I'll go with safe builds rather than skew my builds to hit the ultimates only to find they are unplayable

Not to mention all three ultimates have a bias to energy weapons only and worse, the science one isn't even usuable by science without foresaking the particle manipulator trait as they don't combine/stack!​​
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    What would be everybody's 'ideal' price?

I suppose Cryptic has to balance making a profit against the desires of the players.

I'm not the kind of person who 'respecs' very often - so 300 zen does not seem too bad (especially if you do most of your testing on tribble).
  • belisariusdbelisariusd Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Even with the skill reduction, this is expensive. This means that the two problems I see with the high respec cost remain: (1) the system should encourage experimentation, especially in the early days after release, and this does anything but; (2) the high cost means that any attempt to balance the skills (something that may well be necessary) will be met with total revolt.
  • kingmj4891kingmj4891 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    I think this is great. Respecs should not be free, while I understand players wanting to experiment and try different things making it free would really make the skill tree not matter. I would still like to see them add a reward for subscribers that gives them one free respec per month. But at the current Dil exchange (approx 320 dil for 1 zen) it cost 96,000 Dill for 300 Zen, not a terrible cost as it is low enough to be manageable (only 12 days of refinement) but also high enough to not abused by players to respec before each different Que, Mission, Red Alert etc and keeps your making the skill tree selections matter.
  • captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Personally, I think they should split respecs into 200 zen Space and 100 zen Ground. On Tribble, I found it pretty annoying that if I needed to change something on Ground, I had to redo my entire Space tree. It would also be nice if they'd fix it so that respecs stop clearing traits.
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    these tokens should be free, just because our experience in game would be more interesting. About the subscribers, maybe cryptic could give them something else; more dilithium for example.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Meh, while the gesture is appreciated, that change increased my willingness to experiment more with my builds by exactly 0%.
    bridgern wrote: »
    Try again.

^ Same on both counts.

Seconded. 100 zen for a three pack of respecs might be cheap enough to get me to experiment. When experimenting takes real world money (even dil->zen involves real world money) it needs to be dirt cheap or I'll just putter along with a safe generalist build like I did before.

Switching ships/energy types/styles was already expensive enough with mk XIII and XIV.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Let's consider that they do something against the Sci Ultimate aka as God-Mode, a build for my Defiant, Prometheus or Jem'Hadar Dreadnought would look different so I would have to respec depending on the ship I am going to fly to get the most out of it.

I would like to get a Skill Tree that is connected to the ship and not to the character, with the option to add more per ship.
    Bridger.png
  • captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    bridgern wrote: »
    Let's consider that they do something against the Sci Ultimate aka as God-Mode, a build for my Defiant, Prometheus or Jem'Hadar Dreadnought would look different so I would have to respec depending on the ship I am going to fly to get the most out of it.

I would like to get a Skill Tree that is connected to the ship and not to the character, with the option to add more per ship.

This is what I think, if you could have a skill tree customized to the ship, they'd sell more ships.
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I think they should do what SWTOR has done. That is to say, allow you to unlock unlimited number of respecs for a certain Zen price. It doesn't have to be account bound, just character bound... That way they can still make some money off respec tokens. However, I doubt they are getting their biggest revenue from respec tokens.

They already gave us slottable traits and what not. They may as well just give us this. It would make it more interesting to experiment with the skill tree and optimize it for any ships you may favor. One may even get more ships because one will know there is a higher possibility to get more out of it.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Well, at least when there is a Service Sale the price will drop to 240 Zen.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    You know an infinite retrain token for say $30-50 per character isn't an entirely bad idea... I'd buy one.

For balance sake it could have a 24 hour cooldown between use.
    Respec tokens should be available via in-game means for free IMO.

I thought this was possible already via dith conversion to zen?
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I was talking about adding it as a reward drop. No dil or Zen required.

Ahh I see. But if they stop charging for things like that, (considering most things are given away in game; apart from some ships/clothing) how will they pay to keep the servers running or for staff wages?
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited April 2016

Ahh I see. But if they stop charging for things like that, (considering most things are given away in game; apart from some ships/clothing) how will they pay to keep the servers running or for staff wages?

they should add more thing in the c-store, more clothes, ground weapons etc and not for the whole account. i don't buy ships (i have enough ships and not the builds for them); but I would be ok to buy small stuff for my toons, even if this is unlocked only for 1 toon. + with a real microtransaction system, cryptic could earn more money, but that means a dil exchange under control.
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
    edited April 2016

they should add more thing in the c-store, more clothes, ground weapons etc and not for the whole account. i don't buy ships (if even ships and not the builds for them); but I would be ok to buy small stuff for my toons, even if this is unlocked only for 1 toon. + with a real microtransaction system, cryptic could earn more money, but that means a dil exchange under control.

To be honest I think the fact that Cryptic allows a person to buy anything sold in the C-Store via the collection of Dilithium is pretty generous (considering there are a very large number of ways to get such Dilithium). I'm not sure if I know of any other games that are as generous towards players as STO. One could easily play the entire game and all its (free) expansions for years without spending a single penny.

I can completely understand the frustration that some people may have in regards to having to spend money in order to 'respec'; but at the same time I think players get a pretty good deal as it is (there is even a test server to try out your 'spec' before you have to commit and/or buy tokens).
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    To be honest I think the fact that Cryptic allows a person to buy anything sold in the C-Store via the collection of Dilithium is pretty generous (considering there are a very large number of ways to get such Dilithium). I'm not sure if I know of any other games that are as generous towards players as STO.

It's not "generous". Making a trickle of cash-shop currency available in game and/or a way to swap main in-game currency for shop currency is literally the industry standard method to deflect claims of pay-to-win.

nikeix wrote: »
    To be honest I think the fact that Cryptic allows a person to buy anything sold in the C-Store via the collection of Dilithium is pretty generous (considering there are a very large number of ways to get such Dilithium). I'm not sure if I know of any other games that are as generous towards players as STO.

It's not "generous". Making a trickle of cash-shop currency available in game and/or a way to swap main in-game currency for shop currency is literally the industry standard method to deflect claims of pay-to-win.

I suppose that depends on your definition of 'generous'. Personally I find the game very generous in that it gives away all expansions and access to all area's in addition to a large variety of playable ships without charging the player. I also find it generous that if a player does not wish to ever contribute a single 'penny' to the game; that they can do so via the collection of dilithium and still benefit from the ability to purchase 'restricted' items in the C-Store.

Your definition and my definition (and every body elses definition) may vary according to ones own perspective and economic background. But I personally feel Cryptic does not use the 'industry standard' in order to 'milk' players. I have played F2P games (even other PWE games) that are far more restrictive in what you can do without spending money in order to 'enjoy' the game.

Don't get me wrong; I have a HUGE list of things that Cryptic has done that do not make me happy, but overall I think they have walked quite a fine line between making a profit and keeping players happy.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    Respec tokens should be available via in-game means for free IMO. These could be added to the normal reward pool of any advanced or elite STF (a new STF designed specifically as a "respec trial" would be ideal) with the following caveats;

1. Can only hold 1 "free" respec token at a time
    2. Can only earn 1 "free" respec token once every 24 hours (or 48 hours or once per week etc.)

If someone needs to respec more often than that, they can purchase as many respec tokens as they want from the store.

I rather liked the way respecs were handled in CoX. You could run the respec trial to earn a free token or buy one from the store after the game went F2P.

This would be just about perfect, but I doubt we'll see anything like it happen. It seems like PWI would rather deal with bad reviews and general unhappiness in order to make a bit of extra cash instead of throwing players a bone once in a while to keep them happy.
  • galacticgoogalacticgoo Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    No this would not be ok.

So far on Tribble it takes me about 10-20 Respec's to reasonably dial in a ship and figure out how different skills effect the specific ship. Every ship so far has required its own unique Skill tree (this is a good thing and shows the skill tree is excellent). A general skill tree setup was putting out around 9k for all ships, with a lot of tweaking of skills every ship, except one, is putting out over 15k now. One ship just barely is in the 11k range. I have no idea why it lags behind the others and could take many many respecs to dial in.

Lets do some math to show you how absurd charging for a respec is. Using an average of 10 respecs to dial in a ship for all 46 of my characters we get:

10 x 46 x $3 = $1,380

That's $1,380 to make my characters playable again. I would be insane to use up any respecs for a couple months until the community sorts what skills work and don't work.

And to make it worse, what happens when the nerf bat swings? And it will. Well, looks like another $1,380 to make my characters playable again. Hate to break it to you guys but you will not find my name in the Panama Papers.

In car racing you buy the car, in STO you buy the ship.
    In car racing you buy parts to enhance the cars performance, in STO we run REP grinds, mine Dilithium and earn EC to buy parts to enhance our ship/crew performance.
    In car racing it doesn't cost money to make a pit stop to fine tune performance, in STO it costs money to fine tune and tweak our builds.

Question: Would the racing industry be as big, and people enjoy as much fine tuning/tweaking if it cost teams money every time they pulled into the pits or just opened the hood of the car to wrench on it?

I just want to say I love the new skill tree and can see some amazing build possibilities. It really is amazing. I just think putting it behind a paywall is as our Astronaut friends say "TRIBBLE the pooch".
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Well I do think it's funny when they say "We're thrilled you are all using the new skill system". Not like we had a choice anyways. They are just thrilled to have another revenue stream.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!