test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Extremely high quality, expensive, talentless Doffs

wisecasperwisecasper Member Posts: 176 Arc User
Hey there, just a discussion/feedback point.

The R&D system claims under Required Duty Officer that 'Higher rarity Duty Officers improve outcome' so after spending 8mil ec on an ultra rare Xindi-insectoid Diagnostic Engineer named Ikzi'chik I thought I'd have a look at the R&D skill bonus his quality gets and the answer is he has less r&d skill than the 50k ec Uncommon officers I throw away when I need roster space and it lets me slot him but not start the project using him. I also have an Epic quality EMH I that can't even make a Large Hypo. Does anyone know if there are any plans to bring ultra rare officer r&d skill bonuses at least in line with the rare quality Doff's skill bonus if not better or should I be selling mine on to the next unsuspecting r&d victim whilst they still have novelty value? They have been available for more than a year now I believe!
Rj6YZR.gif
@Wisecasper
Non-faction Ship Bridge Collector and Junk Hauler with alt-itis

Contact in-game to add your fleet to a casual, friendly Armada

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2016
    I agree with a lot of what you've identified in the post, so some work could be done to expand that area a bit.

What I'd honestly like to see is more a reason to craft; we spend all our time advancing professions & collecting resources. Mostly this is to upgrade or build weapon's with specific buff's that work with our builds. Yet your right Very Rare DOFF's should all have either a R&D benefit even if it's crafting enchanced hypospray's, batteries, or different ENG, SCI, & TAC consumables or ability to update some item's appearance.

I'd like to see a few Very Rare duty officers (Security-Pistol, Armory-Riffle, Assault Squad) able to customizing a 'LOOK' of some pistol's, rifle's, or assault weapon's. The stat's or buff's don't change but how the weapon appears is given one of two or three new possible looks in appearance; new casing design and perhaps different visual apperance.

I think it be nice to have more options to change not only what buff's work for our captain's, but appearance of phaser's, disruptor's or plasma item's to give what are good weapon's a new look. With a little EC, and the right expertise perhaps new alloy's, metal's to polycarbon's in R&D allow us two, three, or more different ways to change a weapon's visual apperance. This should only be for allied weapon's including new looks for the TR-116B.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • robin74robin74 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    wisecasper wrote: »
    an ultra rare Xindi-insectoid Diagnostic Engineer named Ikzi'chik
    But he's not an R&D officer at all. Of course you can't start project with him.
    For a doff to be able to be used in an R&D project, they must have R&D school listed in their skills. Only some doffs have.

• wisecasperwisecasper Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    Sorry but that is not correct. It only requires R&D school officers to produce the equipment that becomes available at school level 14. For example the [Arc] Beam Array requires specifically an R&D Beam Weapons school Officer to make it, but the standard Beam Array can be made by any Energy Weapons Officer. I note the project start issue I had unexpectedly resolved since my initial post but the zero rarity bonus remains.
    Rj6YZR.gif
    @Wisecasper

• jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I checked on STO wiki and diagnostic engineer is not a doff used in R&D so you will probably get some loss there.
    Its faily logical, mostly Research lab Scientisits are used, for example projectiles use projectile officers, fabrication engineers etc.
  • wisecasperwisecasper Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    I use diagnostic engineers to make my own Large Shield Charges, Large Hypo and Large Power Cell to donate to fleet holdings projects and get rid of the common R&D materials I don't have slots to sell on the exchange. Like with most products if you were selling on the exchange you would make a loss on material value unless the project gets critical completion.
    Rj6YZR.gif
    @Wisecasper