test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One of the COOLEST ship designs Cryptic ever made...wasted =(

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    bjornfried wrote: »
    I still think, she's ugly as the night in a Klingon gaypub.

so... youve been to one of these.... this explains much about you... *backs away slowly*

i wandered into one by accident...was a very 'interesting' night, but couldn't walk straight for a month after​​

Fortunately Ferasan have a great sense of smell and avoid large groups of Klingons... esp sweaty ones.
  • dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    Why not a challenge: get a Exeter, as I'm sure the parts are exchangable(mine seemed to be), make it look like an Excalibur, then grind Forever to get all epic parts on it. You should be able to use it most places...are we done yet?
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Why not a challenge: get a Exeter, as I'm sure the parts are exchangable(mine seemed to be), make it look like an Excalibur, then grind Forever to get all epic parts on it. You should be able to use it most places...are we done yet?

Fun idea, but not what this thread is asking for. Thanks anyway.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User

Not while I'm around.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Tryed that. Need a way to boost the hull. She was ok just died to fast in groups
    Has any1 actually tryed asking the devs on twitter directly?
  • kapla5571kapla5571 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    kekvin wrote: »

I made a post to trendy when the thread 1st started if she could get us clarification on the matter from higher ups but no answer so far.
    kapla5571 wrote: »

I made a post to trendy when the thread 1st started if she could get us clarification on the matter from higher ups but no answer so far.

I have not. Why? Because the same devs that use twitter also read the forums. How do I know? Because I see those same people posting on both. This thread is long enough, and has been around long enough, that it's safe to assume it has been seen by some of the devs. However, they are *not* required to reply. So sure, I hope they will eventually, and I hope they will answer the actual questions I asked(not just dodge them). But either way, I don't think poking them on twitter is going to accomplish anything.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Wondered where this ended up... page 8 was the answer
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User

Isnt 'bumping' a 'no-no'? :D
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    IBTL woot!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• solitair#4236 solitair Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    In our reality, Sisko would have sued Smiley for copyright infringement by building a Mirror Defiant. But he didn't. Precedent set by Star Trek itself. Build a Mirror universe Excalibur with constitution parts and you get away with it Scott free. You can even abduct the designer without anything worse than a sharp rebuke.

DISCLAIMER: comment intended to be tongue in cheek and does not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or wicked Mirror Universe scheming of this participant.
    equinox976 wrote: »

Isnt 'bumping' a 'no-no'? :D

Don't think bumping is... necros are a no no, but this hasn't been idle that long. Aside from that I'm still genuinely interested in seeing the question/situation resolved.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    5+ years of 'not happening, not even talking about it' seems pretty "resolved" to me :smirk:.
    nikeix wrote: »
    5+ years of 'not happening, not even talking about it' seems pretty "resolved" to me :smirk:.

No dev has ever told us that CBS said they cannot make an end game Excalibur. That said, no one is forcing anyone to read this thread, so anyone who is not interested or thinks it is a lost cause does not have to click on it if they don't want to.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    She's a fair looking ship I suppose. Kind of retro, kind of like how the Camaro and Mustang is a throw back to their 60s incarnations.

I fully agree that the Excalibur should be recognized as a separate ship class from her predecessor. Lock out the Constitution class parts and it should be fine.

I support this just because I'm curious what the ship team would come up with for a 2410 Class 1 Cruiser design. An Excalibur would of course be more angular than a Constitution. It could look cool. Probably better than the JJprise.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    I cant see why they cant lock out the T2 constitution so we can have an T5 /T6 Excaliber. They locked out the T4 Galaxy parts.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I wonder if a Ambasadore/Guardian thing could come into effect? Everything about the Guardian suggests an Ambassador refit (including the resemblance to the prototype version seen on Picard's ship wall, suggesting an extensive TMP style refit of the 'C') however the Guardian only has two versions (both labelled Guardian though :( ) and is unable to use Ambassador or Yamaguchi parts. Similarly there could be a (hypothetical) Republic Class that only has access to its, the Exatar, Vespa, and Excalibur skins.

Then again we got the bloody Excelsior at T6 and the Constellation at FT5U rather than T1 where any TMP era ships should rightfully be, with TNG ones at T2, DS9/VOY at T£ and Cryptic designs to fill in the rest.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    I wonder if a Ambasadore/Guardian thing could come into effect? Everything about the Guardian suggests an Ambassador refit (including the resemblance to the prototype version seen on Picard's ship wall, suggesting an extensive TMP style refit of the 'C') however the Guardian only has two versions (both labelled Guardian though :( ) and is unable to use Ambassador or Yamaguchi parts. Similarly there could be a (hypothetical) Republic Class that only has access to its, the Exatar, Vespa, and Excalibur skins.

Then again we got the bloody Excelsior at T6 and the Constellation at FT5U rather than T1 where any TMP era ships should rightfully be, with TNG ones at T2, DS9/VOY at T£ and Cryptic designs to fill in the rest.​​

Except we know that the Constellation and the Excelsior are far beyond just TMP era ships. The Constellation lasted into the Ambassador class era, and the Excelsior served as late as the Dominion War. That's seventy years of added relevance.

That said letting the Excelsior be T6...well it must be to cover up the fact that the Resolute is butt ugly.

Think about this. When John Eaves wanted to do an updated modern Excelsior...he created the Sovereign Class.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    captaind3 wrote: »

Then again we got the bloody Excelsior at T6 and the Constellation at FT5U rather than T1 where any TMP era ships should rightfully be, with TNG ones at T2, DS9/VOY at T3 and Cryptic designs to fill in the rest.

Except we know that the Constellation and the Excelsior are far beyond just TMP era ships. The Constellation lasted into the Ambassador class era, and the Excelsior served as late as the Dominion War. That's seventy years of added relevance.

That said letting the Excelsior be T6...well it must be to cover up the fact that the Resolute is butt ugly.

Think about this. When John Eaves wanted to do an updated modern Excelsior...he created the Sovereign Class.

They're still TMP era ships even if they were stretched into lasting into the DS9 era. The Miranda was as well, and we don't have a T6 version of that. They were just cannon fodder in the Dominion War.

Bearing in mind the presence of the Excelsior in TNG was only because the only similarly aged ships to the Galaxy with proper models were the Olympic, Ambassador, and Nebula, all the others (Cheyenne, New Orleans, Springfield, Freedom etc.) were all rough dirty kitbashes for wreckage scenes.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    They're still TMP era ships even if they were stretched into lasting into the DS9 era. The Miranda was as well, and we don't have a T6 version of that. They were just cannon fodder in the Dominion War.

Bearing in mind the presence of the Excelsior in TNG was only because the only similarly aged ships to the Galaxy with proper models were the Olympic, Ambassador, and Nebula, all the others (Cheyenne, New Orleans, Springfield, Freedom etc.) were all rough dirty kitbashes for wreckage scenes.

Also keep in mind that the Ambassador was literally dropped during filming, breaking the model and they never had the budget to fix it - otherwise I guess we'd have seen more Ambassadors in service during TNG pig-1.gif

But all the real-life reasons aside, the fact remains that these ships were still in service unless a remastered version of TNG and/or DS9 replaces them. And I have no difficulties believing that extensive re- and retrofitting allowed these ships to still provide meaningful tasks. Mirandas even filled the exact same battlefield role as the Defiant and according to the TMs are the only other ship mounting pulse phaser cannons.

However, the T6 Resolute is one of those examples STOs 'logic' in ship progression simply doesn't add up. Next to retrofitted Excelsiors and even refitted Lakota-types, why would starfleet comission a whole new class of this thing when it's function and role has been filled by another half dozen of ships already in service? I see the need for the Andromeda class, effectively replacing Galaxy and Venture-type refits and aside from the huge Oddyssey there are no true 'Explorers' in STOs Starfleet line-up in the 25th century - save the weird Guardian which is "not really" an Ambassador but another huge supercruiser. I entirely agree, scaling it down, renaming it "Support Cruiser [T6]" and share Ambassador and Yamaguchi-type parts would be a sensible thing to do.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    The connie refit was last seen in botw. Thats what 5 to 10 years b4 domonion war?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    The connie refit was last seen in botw. Thats what 5 to 10 years b4 domonion war?

What does 'Babe of the Week' have to do with this conversation?
    :o
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited April 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    why would starfleet comission a whole new class of this thing when it's function and role has been filled by another half dozen of ships already in service?

Here is the thing: it doesn't matter why "Starfleet" would make a ship. Do you know why? Because "Starfleet" isn't making these ships. Cryptic is. And Cryptic's doesn't decide to make a ship based on whether the imaginary Starfleet would think it makes sense or not. Why do you think we have half a dozen galaxy variants? It's not because "Starfleet" thought it made sense to keep remaking that same ship. It is because Cryptic knows the Galaxy is one of the most iconic ships, and wants to double dip by reselling it every time there is a new tier.

So the in game "Starfleet" logic is not the reason I am asking for an end game Excalibur. I'm asking for it because it is simply a ship I would like to have, just like many people want to keep having the Galaxy as their top tier ship whether it "makes sense" or not.

The only question is, is Cryptic *allowed* to make an end game Excalibur? This brings me back to my earlier point:

No dev has EVER told us CBS said they cannot make an end game Excalibur

If CBS did say that, fine. Just tell us that, and that will be the end of that. But until we know that, then my request stands. And bringing up in game logic that is already contradicted by many other examples in game is irrelevant.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »

What does 'Babe of the Week' have to do with this conversation?
    :o

He might have meant BoBW, as in Best of Both Worlds, but I can't say I specifically remember a Constitution class in the wreckage. That said, BoBW took place at the end of TNG season 3, beginning of TNG season 4. DS9 launched during TNG season 6, so no way the Dominion War was 10 years later.
    p72WY.jpg

Unmistakably a Connie engineering hull.
    Yh ment best of both worlds. One of the best epsoides. Was trying to guess how many years later the dominion war happened. As we all know SFC called in as many ships to Wolf 359 as possible. 39 ships ranging from miranda, soyz, constitution, nebula, excelsior, ambasador, new orleans ect. Ive allways took this to mean the constitution refit was still a combat effecent ship.

Id love a straight answer on the excaliber

Yes CBS said that we are not allowed an end game version of the excaliber class. No. CBS has not stated that there are any restrictions on the excaliber class.

Yet somehow i fear we wont see her at endgame and we wont gave a deffinate answer.

I live in hope for both
    edited April 2016

That Constitution wreckage is also the only instance of a Constitution seen in TNG. With the class plainly retired in 2293, a major plot point of Star Trek VI, with a Constitution class that was less than a decade old.

It's makes perfect sense though since they were throwing everything with a working warp drive at that Borg Cube. Museum ship with working weapons, something in the scrap heap; it was a last ditch defense of Earth, pulling old boats out of moth balls is completely natural.
    Yh ment best of both worlds. One of the best epsoides. Was trying to guess how many years later the dominion war happened. As we all know SFC called in as many ships to Wolf 359 as possible. 39 ships ranging from miranda, soyz, constitution, nebula, excelsior, ambasador, new orleans ect. Ive allways took this to mean the constitution refit was still a combat effecent ship.

Id love a straight answer on the excaliber

Yes CBS said that we are not allowed an end game version of the excaliber class. No. CBS has not stated that there are any restrictions on the excaliber class.

Yet somehow i fear we wont see her at endgame and we wont gave a deffinate answer.

I live in hope for both

The Battle of Wolf 359 was in 2367, the Dominion War was 2373 - 2375.

As I said above, I took it as Starfleet needed "bodies" they needed ships, this was Earth in a Doomsday scenario. Even if they lost they needed to play for time to get the Enterprise, their big gun back in the fight. I doubt the Constitution was in any way considered a combat effective starship in that situation, but if it could fly and it could shoot it was in. Like Russell Case in Independence Day.

I think that Cryptic will make sure that all of the Tier 5 starships have their Tier 6 varieties before they go back and look at the lower tier ships. But like I said, I want to see what a T6 Exeter by Cryptic will look like since it's the most classic styling. Do I want a Tier 6 Constitution? Hell No.
    Also keep in mind that the Ambassador was literally dropped during filming, breaking the model and they never had the budget to fix it - otherwise I guess we'd have seen more Ambassadors in service during TNG pig-1.gif

It's also a shame as I really like the design of it. Like a better version of the Galaxy.
    But all the real-life reasons aside, the fact remains that these ships were still in service unless a remastered version of TNG and/or DS9 replaces them. And I have no difficulties believing that extensive re- and retrofitting allowed these ships to still provide meaningful tasks. Mirandas even filled the exact same battlefield role as the Defiant and according to the TMs are the only other ship mounting pulse phaser cannons.

I do see their use in the Dominion War alongside all the other TMP era designs like the Curry and other kitbashes, i.e. gun platforms with minimal crew. I don't doubt the Excelsior would even be a match for the defiant. I'm sure a 1940s battleship would still have an advantage over a modern frigate.
    The Constellation is strictly a TNG era ship, it is only seen on screen in 2 episodes of TNG, The Battle, and Peak Performance.

No. It appears in TNG but it's a TMP era design. It shares nacelle features with the Constitution and Miranda as well as a saucer design with the former.
    He might have meant BoBW, as in Best of Both Worlds, but I can't say I specifically remember a Constitution class in the wreckage. That said, BoBW took place at the end of TNG season 3, beginning of TNG season 4. DS9 launched during TNG season 6, so no way the Dominion War was 10 years later.

The engineering hull was part of the wreckage. And unlike the saucer or nacelles, that engineering hull only appears on one ship class.​​

#TASforSTO

This discussion has been closed.