test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So I want to recreate the USS Vengeance...

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    Personally, I think the Arbiter/Avenger hybrid looks the closest to what you're looking for. It's also by far the cheapest as purchasing the T6 Arbiter automatically grants you access to the T5 costume options. The only thing you wouldn't get would be the console from the T5 ship which isn't worth the additional purchase on it's own. I think you can get pretty close to what you want with just the one purchase.

Am I crazy or is that a new signature image @seaofsorrows ? :grin:

The Arbiter/Avenger hybrid is definitely a strong contender. The windows on the nacelles closing up in combat is a sweet little touch (though I'd have to bug report it relentless if only one side is working). At this point I'm largely committed to getting one and I'm just holding out for a sale so I can get the 3-pack. I also want to see how the T2 and T5-based versions look with the Terran Rep shield. I don't think there are any more swan-like rigs to test.

Yes, it's new. I don't fly the Presidio as much as I used to, the Fleet Arbiter has become my 'main ship' so I decided to update the image. I have it in a similar kitbash to what was suggested to you, even running the black hull and to be totally honest.. it looks nothing like the Vengeance to me. I love the way the ship looks with the kitbash, but to me it just looks like a unique class Starfleet Ship. The black hull makes it look really mean. Then it opens fire and removes all doubt. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Yes, it's new. I don't fly the Presidio as much as I used to, the Fleet Arbiter has become my 'main ship' so I decided to update the image. I have it in a similar kitbash to what was suggested to you, even running the black hull and to be totally honest.. it looks nothing like the Vengeance to me.

Oh, I get ya. It has some Vengeance-like features, but there's many reasons I'm not just diving on it and saying "That's it! That's the one!" :).

I did go ahead and buy an Exeter so I could take T2 experiments out for lighting tests. My main is a Romulan-Fed so they can fly some lower tier fed ships and already had access to the Terran Taskforce gear so I was able to buy the shields and try it out.

T2%20Terran%20Vengeance%20SIG_zpswioz4pi6.jpg

There's a LOT to like with that ship material, as the Vengeance isn't quite black and has some interesting hull pattering you can see really well on the museum replica.

T2%20Terran%20Vengeance%20Lit%20SIG_zpsogoezuie.jpg

It's a little more brown than grew, but the panels and plate-welds are really nice.

T2%20Terran%20Vengeance%20Profile%20SIG_zpszo08vxp5.jpg

And a pure side view for reference. I went back to the Constitution-style nacelles as being the most chunky of the options even if they are a little over-lit.

Maybe someday they'll have the opportunity to offer something closer in the same way we can buy-and-fly the Dauntless: Starfleet finds some sort of chrono-shielded records from an alternate timeline. Best of both worlds - it didn't happen AND they get my money :).

Wow!

That Exeter looks really great. Very cool looking.

That's probably the closest I have seen yet to what you're looking for. The Arbiter/Avenger does have things that remind me of the Vengeance a little bit, but overall is too compact and 'sleek' to really pull it off. That Exeter layout looks really really good.
  • diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    aww mine wasn't in the top3 :/ oh well
  • sirerblingtonsirerblington Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I think this is a competition between the look of the USS Vengeance versus the feeling that comes with her:
    While the Exeter surely is suited best for creating the look, just based on the outer line, positioning of the pylons, nascelles, saucer etc., your version, diabolica91, gives more the feeling that came with the Vengeance in the movie: The biggest Starfleet vessel of all time, dark, menacing form, angular, aggressive looking deflector and so on.
    While I myself am neither a great fan of USS Vengeance, nor of J.J. Abram's movies, I do respect the wish of the OP to mimic a given Canon ship as closely as possible and imho he has to decide if he wants to go for the look of the Vengeance or her onscreen-feeling (a though decision; I don't envy him for being the one having to choose, if I were in this position, I certainly won't be able to make up my mind).
    Anyway, I really enjoyed reading through this thread, maybe it's not over yet! I hope you will find the solution that pleases you most, nikeix :)
    A76C47A6219C487DC0972C0C150BB91C2E406A5B

It's nothing you did poorly (which has been really inspiring :)) - Cryptic has this deep love affair with dual necks. Honestly I don't think the designer of the Odyssey in any way shape or form was proposing a dual necked ship in their submission, but that's what we got, and that in turn forces the T6 Flagships into that model. It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant about the Arbiter/Avenger - two necks. The T2 and T5 rigs have singular necks. The Command Battle cruisers are pretty Excelsior-like with no neck at all :pensive:.

Yeah for feel in play the A/A looks pretty gratifying. And what's not to like about a 5/3 weapons layout? I'm reduced to hoping they create more parts for that rig, because the pylons are probably best fit in game, with the Imperial's pylons coming in second. You'd think it would be the saucer that defines the Vengeance but more and more I'm finding its the engineering hull that's the part impossible to replicate in STO...

• captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User

It's nothing you did poorly (which has been really inspiring :)) - Cryptic has this deep love affair with dual necks. Honestly I don't think the designer of the Odyssey in any way shape or form was proposing a dual necked ship in their submission, but that's what we got, and that in turn forces the T6 Flagships into that model. It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant about the Arbiter/Avenger - two necks. The T2 and T5 rigs have singular necks. The Command Battle cruisers are pretty Excelsior-like with no neck at all :pensive:.

Yeah for feel in play the A/A looks pretty gratifying. And what's not to like about a 5/3 weapons layout? I'm reduced to hoping they create more parts for that rig, because the pylons are probably best fit in game, with the Imperial's pylons coming in second. You'd think it would be the saucer that defines the Vengeance but more and more I'm finding its the engineering hull that's the part impossible to replicate in STO...

Their reasoning behind it doesn't even make sense. To help with the slipstream? Did you see the Dauntless? Or the Vesta? You integrate the saucer into the hull, you don't make two separately structurally weaker pylons for the neck, it's not like air has to fit through there. The dual necks are just weird.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    T2%20Terran%20Vengeance%20SIG_zpswioz4pi6.jpg

and here we have another excellent reason to demand a t6 Excalibur/Exeter

Heehee. Wait for it. Once Star Trek: Beyond has gone to home video I'll beat that drum happily. I really do think giving the movies their time solely in the spotlight is the source of the restriction and it'll be a new playing field after that.
    All experiments fail.
    Some experiments fail spectacularly :grin:
    (Good experiments fail repeatably)

T2%20Reman%20Vengeance%20SIG_zpsz97cj7wm.jpg

My Vengeance-like T2 kitbash wears the Reman shields and Terran Deflector well, though it's not what I'm looking for.

T2%20Reman%20Vengeance%20Beauty%20SIG_zps6bv3ipc8.jpg

Its too glossy and too green, but I've had a couple breakthroughs! :)

T2%20Reman%20Vengeance%20Glide%20SIG_zpsowckbcre.jpg

More on that next time.
    edited April 2016
    Secret%20Manuevers%20SIG_zpspytg9uf2.jpg

Unknown ship type spotted performing secret maneuvers above an M class planet near the neutral zone.

At the point I'm fairly certain that the Dyson reputation deflector is a key component, adding a wonderful blue lens-flare to any ship. I'm having good results with the Jem'Hadar shield, as it tones down some of the ship lights and the warp nacelles turn a fairly tolerable purple. I think the MACO shield will be better but I'm pretty far from having the marks to buy one.

And as you can see, I did finally find a ship with the right engineering hull :grin:.
    Post edited by nikeix on
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    I decided to try the MES trick on my Arbiter/Avenger hybrid:
    ja6XS6l.jpg

I'm not sure if that's further or closer. If only the Arbiter saucer was circular and not oblong, as it looks somewhat decent from the side and the back, but most other angles it looks like a spoon...
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    The hull, pylons and nacelles look close. But the neck and the saucer are just not available ingame.

On a side note, I managed to make a passable JJPrise the other day. Just really need some of those "ample nacelles" Simon got so excited about. Went single cannon in front, but from the sheer volume of fire it probably needs to be all turrets. Photon Launcher matched quite nicely though.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    A last hurrah for the Exeter/Excaliber hybrid. Using the Mask Energy Signature ability I was able to go back to Excalibur engines. Coupled with the Dyson Deflector the results were quite nice.

T2%20MES%20Daywalker%20SIG_zpsr2qc7qnz.jpg

...and a profile examination~

T2%20MES%20Vengeance%20SIG_zpsj5tgisdb.jpg

...But nice as it is I'm gonna say goodbye~

T2%20MES%20Vengeance%20Flyover%20SIG_zpsiro5flxf.jpg

There's a new baby in the dry-dock :sunglasses:.

T2%20Dockside%20SIG_zpsitliucur.jpg
    edited April 2016
    tom61sto wrote: »
    ja6XS6l.jpg

I'm not sure if that's further or closer. If only the Arbiter saucer was circular and not oblong, as it looks somewhat decent from the side and the back, but most other angles it looks like a spoon...

Yeah, the A/A Battle Cruisers are quite the tease.

I think I may have found the winner (at least for looks). It was hidden under quite an old pile of blueprints :).

T2%20Dockside%202%20SIG_zpswpntcx9y.jpg

Just running some last system checks...

T2%20Dockside%203%20SIG_zpsasccqiy8.jpg

She's eager to spread her wings :).

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Secret%20Manuevers%20SIG_zpspytg9uf2.jpg

Unknown ship type spotted performing secret maneuvers above an M class planet near the neutral zone.

At the point I'm fairly certain that the Dyson reputation deflector is a key component, adding a wonderful blue lens-flare to any ship. I'm having good results with the Jem'Hadar shield, as it tones down some of the ship lights and the warp nacelles turn a fairly tolerable purple. I think the MACO shield will be better but I'm pretty far from having the marks to buy one.

And as you can see, I did finally find a ship with the right engineering hull :grin:.
    So a Tier 2 Science Vessel "kitbash" is your solution now?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Since I clearly am not allowed to have a single neck, yeah, the Nova's hull is the closest match I've found and you can coax the nacelles up over the dish with the right pylons. There's no round dish option (sigh), but you can get some pretty good deflector effects :).

T2%20Wrath%20Approach%20SIG_zpstx2sr8ev.jpg
    It Just sort of naturally lurks...

T2%20Wrath%20Terminator%20SIG_zpslgyfktay.jpg
    ...And is the by far the best match from the angle I'll be seeing it most of the time :wink:~

T2%20Wrath%20Cruise%20SIG_zpslpezil8v.jpg
    So, yes, I do find myself strangely pining for a T6 Rhode Island upgrade/refit. If it comes with another set of parts in the process that's just more opportunities to fine tune :). Because yeah, it is kind of a chubby little thing...

T2%20Wrath%20Profile%20SIG_zpslaptfgev.jpg
    Another one for the Tier 6 Nova fan club, we should inform @reyan01.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Now I need to dress it up all pretty with some anti-proton canons and turrets and go shoot something :smiley:.
    I dig the Nova, very cool looking ship. :)
    So I just found a youtube review of the Eaglemoss magazine + figure for the Vengeance. I ordered that figure recently, so I'm getting a bit excited about it showing up :). The magazine seems to have multiple spreads filled with concept art, a few of which I hadn't seen before on the net. It also has some interviews wit the designer, talking about what guidance they had to follow and what inspirations they looked to (Italian supercars being mentioned). A later section discusses the huge range of advanced weapons they developed for the Vengeance, with most of them not really getting much (or any) screen time. Reading that section reveals some of the things the VATA does that didn't happen in the movie are still drawn directly from what the designers had prepped. Neat.

I was able to capture the first fairly clean straight-on from the front view of the Vengeance I've seen to use as a guide when kitbashing.
    Vengeance%20Specs%20Small_zpsqbefzqna.jpg

Now that I've added MES to the toolbox I'm looking over some earlier attempts that's I'd discarded because the engines were too brightly lit. On in particular looks promising...
  • artaniscreedartaniscreed Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Seaofsorrow, how did you get an all black ship like is in your sig?
    Seaofsorrow, how did you get an all black ship like is in your sig?

It's a T6 Arbiter using the Fleet Hull and a kit bash of Avenger/Arbiter parts. If you have the Fleet version of the Arbiter, the Fleet Pattern is black. I believe it's the 2nd option from the top in the Ship Tailor.
    edited April 2016
    @seaofsorrows would you mind taking/posing some screen captures of the Warsaw from the side and front? I'd like to get a better feel for the shape of the deflector :).
    edited April 2016
    @seaofsorrows would you mind taking/posing some screen captures of the Warsaw from the side and front? I'd like to get a better feel for the shape of the deflector :).

Sure.

I'm at work right now, so I'll have to post them later. It's using the Arbiter Hull so it has the standard Arbiter Deflector.

The only other option I have is the Avenger hull, and I hate that deflector. :)
    The Arbiter Hull basically fixed every issue I had with the Avenger.
    edited April 2016

So, the ship is a little hard to capture because it's so dark, but I did the best I could. The Deflector shot is the toughest because the ship just kind of blends with the darkness of space. Here is what I could get:

Side Profile:
    20160415120106_1.jpg

Front Deflector:
    20160420064419_1.jpg

Another Deflector shot:
    20160420064414_1.jpg

Rear Angle:
    20160420064510_1.jpg

Front Profile:
    20160420064624_1.jpg

The hull material is Fleet 2, pattern is Lacerta with both colors set to black.

Iconian set, effects disabled.

Doesn't look like the Vengeance really, but still looks pretty mean. :)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Dyson sphere is your friend for lighting.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    Dyson sphere is your friend for lighting.

Good call.. I can't believe I didn't think of that.
    Thank you. It does look pretty mean :). The spine/neck coming out of the deflector is weird, but it's shape is reminiscent of the Vengeance's neck from what little I've seen of it - kind of a blocky angular ramp up from the bottom of the engineering hull to the saucer.