test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Default keybinds undeletable since Patch 11.5

oblomofoblomof Member Posts: 19 Arc User
Patch 11.5 enforces me to have keybinds on all default used keys. That's bad.
The "Delete" button for default bindings does not work. Please fix.

Comments

• bane1987bane1987 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Second That.
    – Akh i-Ra’tleihfi tr’Illialhlae – R.R.W. Khallianen – IDIC Rihannsu
    – Stivan – V.S.S. Dutarik – IDIC Rihannsu
    – Ra’khoi – I.R.W. Taortuu’en – KDF Rihannsu
    – Jonathan Masters – U.S.S. Timot Danlen – IDIC Rihannsu
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    This needs to be looked at ....

The keybinds file has changed. Each keybind now has extra quote marks at the end of each line. PLEASE GET THIS FIXED !!!!!

You can't remove some keybind action. Try using the "Clear" button, it doesn't work.....
    When you load your keybinds file it looks like it changes the commands, but if you look at the keybinds they have the default values (Even though your keybinds work, explain how that happens?)

Please roll back any changes you have made to the keybinds .... you are just f'n the keybinds up.....

WE NEED A DEV TO COMMEND ON THIS !!!!

WHEN WE ASK FOR HELP WE DON'T GET IT AND THEN YOU GO AN MESS UP THE KEYBINDS WITHOUT LETTING US KNOW YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING TO THEM ... PLEASE JUST LET US KNOW WHEN YOU ARE CHANGES THESE THINGS!!!!
  • linkhogthrob73linkhogthrob73 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    hello,

after dumping all keybinds (bind_safe_file) and taking a look in its file, i have found same quotes as described above.
    it seems same error source causes following issue:

any command/command sequence which is using a quotation inside the outer, wrapping quotes - for example
    x "chan "epohh tag" hello" - will no longer be forwarded into game completly when loaded from a keybind file
    (bind_load_file) : anything of the command-string which is located behind the first inner quote will be cut-off while the
    file operation.

later
    link
    one thing i forgot to mention:

binding same command with chat prompt works well as usual - no cut off string.
  • azrenegadeazrenegade Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I am having the same problem. I cannot unbind some keys from their default. They are stuck on default value.
    35yw45yeswrty5e34t.jpg
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    oblomof wrote: »
    Patch 11.5 enforces me to have keybinds on all default used keys. That's bad.
    The "Delete" button for default bindings does not work. Please fix.
    Same here.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Try adding this to your keybind file: <key> "unbind_local <key>"

It seems there is a local copy of the default binds that gets used if a key is unbound on the server.​​
    hello again,

well, in case you just want to remove a command which is just misplaced related to your current/own keybind profile setup you are playing with: something useless which can't be interpreted by the game's keybind system - maybe a single letter bound to this key - will work as well as unbinding it. for example...
    <key> "-"

instead of what is generally used in keybind files for 'clearing' a key...
    <key> ""

and now some workarounds for the 2-quotes-inside-2-quotes-keybind-file-issue.

1st problem - targeting an entity with a blank space within its name:
    <key> "camUseAutoTargetLock 1 $$ target "na me" $$ DefaultAutoAttack 1"

use same syntax which is used by that fes keybind editor for its keybind files. by deleting some blank spaces these inner quotes will be made unnecessary. (you dont need to remove all blank spaces before and after any separator ($$) like the fes editor is doing. in the example only the one before the target command and the one after the target name need to be removed...):
    <key> "camUseAutoTargetLock 1 $$target na me$$ DefaultAutoAttack 1"

but to be honest, i doubt this would work with target names including 2 or more blank spaces. maybe another one would like to check...

alternatively, its also possible just to "outsource" the target command (or else command which expect only one single parameter while running) to an alias - i checked it already: it works.

however, this all wont help, if you want to use a command which expects a second parameter after the first quoted one and i hope the cryptic-guys will give their best to fix it. spent so many hours into my 'keybind-system' and i would like to use it again error-free. :)

later,
    link
    edited April 2016
    <key> "-"
    That partly works, but you'll get [System] Unknown command "-". The problem is that's the syntax you'd use for an alias, so if you have an alias named -, it would activate that alias instead.

That's why I currently recommend <key> "unbind_local <key>" instead. No beep, no unknown command errors, and it cannot be used as an alias.

Edit: If you use this command in the chat bar, it *will* affect other characters. Placing it in the bind file seems not to affect other characters. Fortunately, if you affect a character you did not mean to, the effect only lasts until you close and exit the game.​​
    Post edited by dabelgrave on
  • mmadsondevmmadsondev Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    What you are noticing is actually a new feature of 11.5: Hold keybinds.

The second field (those extra double quotes) defines the command for the Hold keybind.

By utilizing this field, you are effectively doubling the amount of keys you can use without increasing complexity with modifiers like Ctrl or Alt.

If you have something defined as your Hold command, it will be executed if you hold the key for longer than approximately 300 milliseconds. Otherwise, the Tap command will execute (the normal command).

As for the double quotes issue, you may be able to circumvent it by removing the opening and closing quotes for your binds, so that this
    key "command "1"" ""
    becomes this
    key command "1"
    This tells the binds system that the entire rest of the line should be a single command, regardless of quotes.
    Post edited by mmadsondev on
    mmadsondev wrote: »
    What you are noticing is actually a new feature of 11.5: Hold keybinds.

The second field (those extra double quotes) defines the command for the Hold keybind.

By utilizing this field, you are effectively doubling the amount of keys you can use without increasing complexity with modifiers like Ctrl or Alt.

If you have something defined as your Hold command, it will be executed if you hold the key for longer than approximately 300 milliseconds. Otherwise, the Tap command will execute (the normal command).
    That's a significant change that I wish had been in the patch notes. If I understand correctly, the proper keybind syntax is now:
    <key> "Tap-Command" "Hold-Command"

It leaves me with more questions since I'm now wondering how it might be related to the default bind issue.
    1. If we only bind the Tap-Command, does the original default bind get moved to the Hold-Command?
    2. If we unbind the Tap-Command through the UI, will the Hold-Command end up taking it's place?
    3. Where the heck did the reverting to the default bind come from anyway?
    4. Was this not included in the patch notes because it would have prematurely announced the console port?
    As for the double quotes issue, you may be able to circumvent it by removing the opening and closing quotes for your binds, so that this
    key "command "1"" ""
    becomes this
    key command "1"
    This tells the binds system that the entire rest of the line should be a single command, regardless of quotes.
    Ok, I have one more question.
    1. If I make a keybind with <key> command "1", how does it figure out how to add the new Hold keybind without putting the second command in quotes?
    I'll have to play around with it. Thanks for letting us know about this.
    ;)​​
  • mmadsondevmmadsondev Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Yes, you understand the new syntax correctly.

To answer your questions,
    1: In that case, the original default bind should be overwritten, and the Hold command should remain untouched.
    2 and 3: I'll have to look into this to see what the behavior is, especially if commands have double quotes in them.
    4: Yes, the Tap/Hold functionality was made for STO console, though having it in the patch notes likely would not have been enough to reveal what we were working on

And your final question: If you don't have quotes, you cannot have a tap command and a hold command - only a tap command.
    Yes, you understand the new syntax correctly.
    Thanks. I did some brief testing before I left the house this morning.

Worked: <key> "Tap-Command" "Hold-Command"
    Worked: <key> "" "Hold-Command"
    Worked: <key> ""

That last one was a surprise. After putting in a Hold-Command, unbinding with only the Tap-Command quotes worked. I'm uncertain at this point if the problem has been fixed, or if it's the result of technically still having the Hold-Command in the system even though I removed it from my bind file.​​