test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    khan5000 wrote: »

On the one hand, I like it the idea of filling in this ‘missing history’. On the other, I don’t. Placing the show in that time period handcuffs the writers’ freedom, because they can’t do anything that will conflict with future canon. I would have preferred something post Nemesis with no limits to what they can do going forward. All of that said, I’m looking forward to seeing what happens, and if it is a good story that is all that will matter.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I was a bit skeptical of that site, but Trekmovie.com seems to think it's legit:

http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/13/breaking-the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-post-undiscovered-country-pre-tng/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I don't see how setting it after UC handcuffs the show. If it's not set on an Enterprise they can create their own stories without conflicting with canon
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    First of all, TrekMovie has been wrong before... and they're only citing the source of the rumor, not their own corroborating sources.

Second, this could be a misinterpretation of Meyer's comments from a few months ago.

The original source now claims the show will be an anthology show, and change every season like True Detective, but jump around the timeline. Neat idea, albeit a little too "fan film-y" for me...

I don't buy it. Not until more credible sources chime in.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I don't see how setting it after UC handcuffs the show. If it's not set on an Enterprise they can create their own stories without conflicting with canon
    Well, the uniforms will have to be the maroon jackets, either with or without shirts, as established in Jack Crusher's memorial holograph, and Yesterday's Enterprise...
    TrekCore is looking into this, peeps... stay tuned...
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    As long as there are no important alien races that aren't referenced in TNG or later, no major interstellar incidents happen that contradict later canon, and nothing diminishes the luster of the Enterprise as the hero ship of the Galaxy. Oh, and you can't seriously threaten Earth, because there's no way that wouldn't be mentioned later (that was one of the gripes I had with ENT - an alien species cut a trough through the middle of Florida, and later everyone acted as if Earth had never been threatened from space??).

OTOH, set it in a future time period, even if you're going to start like a week after the Voyager returned, and you can do anything you want within reason (no crazed berserker cannibal Vulcans, for ex).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    And, for the record... this doesn't mean we'll see STO stories, or novel stories...

Unless CBS reverses course on that, but I doubt it.
    LOL... Trek novelist Dayton Ward weighed in with a question to the Writers' Room...

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I like the Anthology idea.
    A different setting each season means they could jump to any time period, from pre-TOS all the way to post Nemesis.
    And even do episodes each season that might hint at what could come in the following seasons or even have a underlying thread that ties all the seasons together.
    I think it's a pretty cool idea, imagine the possibilities for the game, if PWE/Cryptic acquires an add-on license from CBS.

What if the current Time Travel Storyline is something leading up to including the show in the game...
    Almost makes me want to squeal at the thought of it!
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    An anthology has some pros, but also some pretty big cons. The obvious pros are variety and always something new every season. That said, I think a pretty big con is the fact that we wouldn't really ever get to know the crew if it was changing every season. Considering how much character development has mattered in the Trek franchise, this would be a pretty big departure from the core of what Star Trek is, to date.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited April 2016
    I suppose, but there's no reason they couldn't revisit a previous seasons character/s in some manner.
    I can see endless possibilities for that kind of format.
    They could even have a particular character that we follow through the years as he/she ages.
    From graduating from Star Fleet Academy in season 1, to becoming an Admiral several seasons later.

It's a whole new ballgame...
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited April 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    I suppose, but there's no reason they couldn't revisit a previous seasons character/s in some manner.
    I can see endless possibilities for that kind of format.
    They could even have a particular character that we follow through the years as he/she ages.
    From graduating from Star Fleet Academy, to becoming an Admiral several seasons later.

It's a whole new ballgame...
    B)

That's not a bad idea, but it's also not really an anthology if you are following the same characters.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited April 2016
    Why does an anthology show have to follow that particular strict format?
    I see no reason why they can't jump eras, bring in new characters, but also include a few things from the previous seasons.
    Just because current and past Anthology shows have done that doesn't mean they have to.
    Perhaps "Anthology" isn't the best description for what I'm imagining.
    B)
    And, just to be more clear... this is still unconfirmed. TrekCore and 1701News are still not acknowledging the story, and TrekNews.net uses language that doesn't commit them if the story turns out wrong.

And, as I mentioned, TrekMovie has had egg on their face before, in the effort to be the first to post something.

Pump the breaks on the excitement, just in case. :smile:
    Eh, I know I'm just speculating on rumor.
    But the prospects if this turns out to even be a little true, are delightful to ponder.
    B)
  • captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Personally, I'm hoping it isn't true. I have zero interest in revisiting the past. Give me the 25th century and show me cool, NEW technologies.
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
    edited April 2016
    If they do an anthology-ish type of show, there's no reason they couldn't visit the 25th century at some point.
    B)
  • captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    If they do an anthology-ish type of show, there's no reason they couldn't visit the 25th century at some point.
    B)
    Yeah, but I'd rather they not bounce around in time. An anthology might be interesting as long as they set it some time after the eras we've already seen.
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    So they are thinking of making an anthology type show...

A bit like one of the worste episodes ever: shades of grey?
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Shades_of_Gray_(episode)

In essence the flotsam that is broadcasted when things get a bit lazy.

If the Trek franchise is really going to be reduced to such a thing, I think I might just cry :P
    Eh, I know I'm just speculating on rumor.
    But the prospects if this turns out to even be a little true, are delightful to ponder.
    B)

Yeah, and that's fine by me... speculate away!

I'm just reading a ton of people buying this hook-line-and-sinker, with no question to the contrary... and I'm seeing anyone who questions it get downvoted on Reddit, LOL. Always be safe on the internet, kids.

I will be a bit disappointed if they go in this direction... it should be great for tight story-telling, but I want to leave the Berman era of Trek, and go somewhere NEW. Plus, this idea sounds crazy expensive.
    So, here's another "scoop" from this Faraci guy: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2010/10/25/scoop-no-khan-in-star-trek-2-so-who-will-kirk-co-face

Oops. :tongue: Grain of salt, friends... :smile:
    edited April 2016
    mhall85 wrote: »
    So, here's another "scoop" from this Faraci guy: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2010/10/25/scoop-no-khan-in-star-trek-2-so-who-will-kirk-co-face

Oops. :tongue: Grain of salt, friends... :smile:

I agree; the track records isn't great. So...we'll see.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I tell ya... I'm trying to play along with this rumor idea, and it always falls apart after I think about it for five minutes.

Why would this writing team pick up leftover threads from other writers? It just smacks of what STO already does. Even if it's some distantly-linked event, it's still... meh. And, take this Undiscovered Country as a literal jump-off point... what more does that story have to say? Not really anything at all, otherwise, Meyer would have put it in the movie. Perhaps, ideas of Romulan intrigue or first conflicts with the Cardassians could be done... but, haven't we seen that before?

Now, I've heard other ideas for an anthology series, but they drop this jumping across time business. Basically, each season would be it's own story, but each story would take place around the same time. So, season one takes place on Earth around event X. Season two takes place on a starship, dealing with event X away from port. Season three takes place on a space station with event Y. Season 4 could have the starship and space station team up to deal with X and Y. You get the idea...

That could be more interesting, especially if it throws the show into the new... in the distant future of the Primeverse, the 24th century of the Abramsverse, or hard reboot.

Then again, my mind starts to consider something far less gimmicky... base the show on a new Enterprise, have them explore, but break the mold by having them stay in a planet/system/region for a whole season... a little bit of the old flavor, but serialized like most modern TV shows. That immediately sounds more intriguing to me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The anthology rumor has been around longer than the Starfleet Criminal Investigation Service rumor I started in 2013.
    I thought I started that one! :smile:

(I just figured, well, it's owned by CBS, and they've been having so much success with their police procedurals; the one that translates best into Trek, IMO, would be a new NCIS spinoff... I also included the SCIS concept in some of my fanfic on these very forums - Grunt has to go undercover to bust a rogue S31 operative, with the assistance of SCIS Deputy Director Harmon and Special Agents Weatherly and Murray.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    An anthology has some pros, but also some pretty big cons. The obvious pros are variety and always something new every season. That said, I think a pretty big con is the fact that we wouldn't really ever get to know the crew if it was changing every season. Considering how much character development has mattered in the Trek franchise, this would be a pretty big departure from the core of what Star Trek is, to date.

I could see an anthology following the crew of a time ship working. Each season they could go to a different era to stop someone from altering time, use a ship, tech, and uniforms of that era, but still follow the same crew. It would be an anthology in the sense that the setting would be completely different each season, but we'd still get to know the characters
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

I could see an anthology following the crew of a time ship working. Each season they could go to a different era to stop someone from altering time, use a ship, tech, and uniforms of that era, but still follow the same crew. It would be an anthology in the sense that the setting would be completely different each season, but we'd still get to know the characters

See... that just ultimately sounds like Star Trek: Fan Service. Meh.

I'm tired of time travel.
This discussion has been closed.