test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Customization & Tailor restrictions – Role-Player’s perspective

1235»

Comments

• cragg1cragg1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    yes I would like to be able to wear what I want wear, where I want wear it. I did not go through the pain of endless grinding to be told to follow any sort of dress code. this isn't grade school. this may feel like work but this isn't MY JOB. I suggest we remove the Tailor from the game altogether then if its not gonna change. and every single character in the game can just wear a standard uniform that gets placed on the character and the color is auto set to that characters career so that everyone looks the same. granted rommies will have there 1 male, 1 female outfits, kdfs 1 male, 1 female outfit. and feds, 1 male and 1 female outfit. and a standard issue haircut for each. Mohawk? I never seen that in any show or movie. unrestrict everything or do away with the tailor.
  • ravenkorr117ravenkorr117 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    ALWAYS support more customization options. Really miss being able to mix omega gear with my standard outfit :\
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I should have looked around before posting my Recent thread on basically the same topic! I do wish those in power would heed these requests. But if wishes were horses I'd own a farm. That farm would have a chicken, and I'd have chicken TRIBBLE stuck to the bottom of my shoes!

But I didn't log in today. For any reason. I didn't see a point. I wish i did. Instead I opened my copy of 3d Max and build the Galaxy Class Hallways, then wandered around an endless cooridor.. it took about 3 hours to have everything perfect, bending around a spline.

But I realized the only thing missing from that feeling was my STO character model, and maybe a few other people walking the halls. This of course leads me to wish I could for the life of me grasp rigging, as I could bypass these arbitrary, and irritating restrictions and simply create my own silent spacedollhouse to wander about... Oh well.

Very well written article!
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    rahhmi wrote: »
    I should have looked around before posting my Recent thread on basically the same topic! I do wish those in power would heed these requests. But if wishes were horses I'd own a farm. That farm would have a chicken, and I'd have chicken TRIBBLE stuck to the bottom of my shoes!

But I didn't log in today. For any reason. I didn't see a point. I wish i did. Instead I opened my copy of 3d Max and build the Galaxy Class Hallways, then wandered around an endless cooridor.. it took about 3 hours to have everything perfect, bending around a spline.

But I realized the only thing missing from that feeling was my STO character model, and maybe a few other people walking the halls. This of course leads me to wish I could for the life of me grasp rigging, as I could bypass these arbitrary, and irritating restrictions and simply create my own silent spacedollhouse to wander about... Oh well.

Hmm..my only issue with your proposal, is to have a singular faction (United Federation of Planets) ingame. Klingon Empire, and Romulan Republic characters, make up about a third of STO, and having their assets filled out, would go a long way. However, I would add, that to have the immersive experience that you refer to, each faction may have to have it's own server, so each can get proper treatment.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    rahhmi wrote: »

Search no further rahhmi!
    Here you go : http://www.enterprise3dproject.com/
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Probably repeating, but:

Limited aliengen-options need to be lifted. Why are some things limited to male aliens and others to female when we have the opposite on NPCs? For example, female Deferi sport "horns", in our player characters and boffs they are limited to the males. The uniforms as well, we have in-game uniforms we cannot possibly recreate due to limitations and unavailable costume pieces for BOFFs (off-duty).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Probably repeating, but:

Limited aliengen-options need to be lifted. Why are some things limited to male aliens and others to female when we have the opposite on NPCs? For example, female Deferi sport "horns", in our player characters and boffs they are limited to the males. The uniforms as well, we have in-game uniforms we cannot possibly recreate due to limitations and unavailable costume pieces for BOFFs (off-duty).​​

Little, by little. Baby steps. One foot in front of the other. We'll get there sooner, or later. Are we there yet? "It's been a long road...."

In all seriousness, we should continue raising the issue, it is a break in appropriate immersion, as well as an annoyance for fashion conscious RPers.
    R E M A I N

• jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    I've personally said all I could & my opinions pretty much remain unchanged to the OP I made. :3
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

I've personally said all I could & my opinions pretty much remain unchanged to the OP I made. :3

Yaay!! Go Jo!! B)
    R E M A I N

bltrrn wrote: »
    In all seriousness, we should continue raising the issue, it is a break in appropriate immersion, as well as an annoyance for fashion conscious RPers.

That's why I'm pushing this. I have a character which I try to design as a faithful adaptation/continuation of the Deferi (basiclly what happened after the Breen arc, how does the alliance help them to stand on their own). I can't create faithful females of the species because I can't use the "horns" and I can't use any of the in-game outfits, be it the old "Ensign" military/security uniforms or the regular Deferi attire because all of it is off-duty and none of my BOFFs can wear it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

That's why I'm pushing this. I have a character which I try to design as a faithful adaptation/continuation of the Deferi (basiclly what happened after the Breen arc, how does the alliance help them to stand on their own). I can't create faithful females of the species because I can't use the "horns" and I can't use any of the in-game outfits, be it the old "Ensign" military/security uniforms or the regular Deferi attire because all of it is off-duty and none of my BOFFs can wear it.​​

Out of curiousity, what ship does your "Deferi" character fly?
    R E M A I N

• dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Well, it seems the 'tricks' from the OP have been dealt with. A pity.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg

Defera's flagship is the DSV Defera, a headcanonical 'Equilibrium class' star cruiser which, in-game, is the Kobali Samsar. The reason for that is that I think virtually everything the Kobali got in STO would have been a better fit for the Deferi. The Samsar's aesthetics even resemble the Deferi shuttles that zip through Defera's skies or are parked on the landing deck.

Other than that the character uses captured Breen ships (the in-game bio has some fluff for those). I also have a holoprojector handy (the cheap transporter variant) to mimic the generic Deferi cruisers from time to time.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • zeithrizeithri Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I agree on this. That is the most logical thing.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
    Next Poster below here.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    dalolorn wrote: »

Oh?
    I need a beer.

Defera's flagship is the DSV Defera, a headcanonical 'Equilibrium class' star cruiser which, in-game, is the Kobali Samsar. The reason for that is that I think virtually everything the Kobali got in STO would have been a better fit for the Deferi. The Samsar's aesthetics even resemble the Deferi shuttles that zip through Defera's skies or are parked on the landing deck.

Other than that the character uses captured Breen ships (the in-game bio has some fluff for those). I also have a holoprojector handy (the cheap transporter variant) to mimic the generic Deferi cruisers from time to time.​​

Very nice, and agreed. I can certainly see the Deferi getting a leg up, with Breen technology. B)
    R E M A I N

Very nice, and agreed. I can certainly see the Deferi getting a leg up, with Breen technology. B)

Thanks pig-1.gif Only thing missing from the char is the Breen BOFF. I'm looking forward to a FE replay event to get it at some point to complete the (otherwise all alien "Deferi" and the Voth) crew pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »

Oh?

My younger brother tested it. (What possessed him to do so at that exact moment, I have no idea.) It didn't work anymore.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    I've read the OP and i can only agree with it.
    Restrictions between off duty/uniform, Club wear and various rep armor don't make much sense, especially when even our own Bridge officers can't wear them. Same for color palettes, they don't make any sense.

I think most of us players have a multi quadrant species Bridge crew (i hope that's the right term) and i don't know about other players, but i'd love to see them all be able to wear the same uniform.
    I'm not saying that non Starfleet/KDF/RR officers should be able to wear faction uniform, but Diplomacy and other non faction BOFFs should at least able to use faction rank insignia on neutral uniforms like Dyson or even "shirt simple".

Heck even in canon non starfleet personel got combadges when on a ship sometimes. (Wesley Crusher for example, but i can't give you many other examples atm. But i'm sure there are plenty of).
    My point is, as soon as they become part of the crew, non starfleet BOFF should be able to wear badges and rank insignia, even if they are not allowed to wear faction uniform.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »
    I've read the OP and i can only agree with it.
    Restrictions between off duty/uniform, Club wear and various rep armor don't make much sense, especially when even our own Bridge officers can't wear them. Same for color palettes, they don't make any sense.

I think most of us players have a multi quadrant species Bridge crew (i hope that's the right term) and i don't know about other players, but i'd love to see them all be able to wear the same uniform.
    I'm not saying that non Starfleet/KDF/RR officers should be able to wear faction uniform, but Diplomacy and other non faction BOFFs should at least able to use faction rank insignia on neutral uniforms like Dyson or even "shirt simple".

Heck even in canon non starfleet personel got combadges when on a ship sometimes. (Wesley Crusher for example, but i can't give you many other examples atm. But i'm sure there are plenty of).
    My point is, as soon as they become part of the crew, non starfleet BOFF should be able to wear badges and rank insignia, even if they are not allowed to wear faction uniform.

Yeah. I have an Orion boff on my ship and because of her I have given the crew the intel jackets as an uniform.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »

Well I am saying that you should be able to wear all faction uniforms. After all, we can wear countless non-player factions' uniforms, what makes Starfleet/KDF/RR uniforms so special?

And even that is entirely arbitrary. Diplomacy/Marauder boffs can always wear KDF uniforms, regardless of faction. The Romulan embassy boffs can't wear any faction uniform at all unless you're either a Romulan yourself or have bought the historical Romulan uniforms from the C-Store. The Kobali boff can wear starfleet uniforms regardless of your faction, as can the Hierarchy boff if you got the customizable one.

The Terran Empire is apparently Federation enough that only Stafleet officers can wear their uniforms. For some reason the Ferengi of all people refuse to sell their clothes to non-Feds despite not even being a member. Only Feds can dress up like Bajorans, but Xindi are fair game for everyone, despite both being Federation members. Etc, etc.

A Romulan is allowed to fly an Enteprise-D replica, but not dress up as Picard? Consistency, please.
    edited April 2016
    warpangel wrote: »
    A Romulan is allowed to fly an Enteprise-D replica, but not dress up as Picard? Consistency, please.

This is a good way to sum up your post. I get it, some people are 'Star Trek purists' & want to get as close as they can, to their perception of 'canon'. And I can respect that, if they aim for that with their crew, and I always find my own admiration for people who have a crew-theme and story going, even if it's not something I personally would choose or use; it's still creative & nice, showing passion for the thing. It's imho only a problem, when these people feel that others somehow must conform to their view of canon, with their own characters/crews.

I am with you. There are ships, costumes which'd not make any sense, 'canon-wise', to be on Starfleet characters. Or even KDF or Romulans. But, that's the beauty of it. People can choose their own flavor. The same should be true with the costumes as well. Many of us want freedom merely to be able to further enhance our characters visualy, underlining their story and origin. Quark wore Klingon armor, because there was a story behind it. So did Jadzia. No reason to allow something similar within STO. :3

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

warpangel wrote: »

This is a good way to sum up your post. I get it, some people are 'Star Trek purists' & want to get as close as they can, to their perception of 'canon'. And I can respect that, if they aim for that with their crew, and I always find my own admiration for people who have a crew-theme and story going, even if it's not something I personally would choose or use; it's still creative & nice, showing passion for the thing. It's imho only a problem, when these people feel that others somehow must conform to their view of canon, with their own characters/crews.

I am with you. There are ships, costumes which'd not make any sense, 'canon-wise', to be on Starfleet characters. Or even KDF or Romulans. But, that's the beauty of it. People can choose their own flavor. The same should be true with the costumes as well. Many of us want freedom merely to be able to further enhance our characters visualy, underlining their story and origin. Quark wore Klingon armor, because there was a story behind it. So did Jadzia. No reason to allow something similar within STO. :3

So lets not worry "canon" then and just use good old vulcan logic, most if not all of the precedents being used for an open tailor comes from one-off or yearly events, the big 50 is coming. Why put a "tailor unlock" token inside a new temporal doff pack filled with past doffs. Odds are it would beat the bugship when it comes to making money for Cryptic.

You're kind of picking out the rare moments within the game and the Trek in general. So sure, give us the rare moments where we step outside faction lines but don't act like it is the norm.

You hold up IDIC as one part of Trek above all others but for others Trek is more than just four letters. What you're asking for flies in the face of the setting and what it means to have muti-faction MMO. Cryptic and most roleplayers worth their salt pays lip service to the setting and the canon you seem to hate so much.

This reminds of me of a comic

fAUOr2c.png

Few people like playing a game that does not have rules
    You hold up IDIC as one part of Trek above all others but for others Trek is more than just four letters.
    If IDIC is just 'four letters' for you, then I don't think you've grasped its' meaning and what I am even trying to say at all, I am sorry. :3

You hold up IDIC as one part of Trek above all others but for others Trek is more than just four letters.
    If IDIC is just 'four letters' for you, then I don't think you've grasped its' meaning and what I am even trying to say at all, I am sorry. :3

If that is all that you can really say on what I spoke about then I don't think you've grasped anything that does not agree with your limited views, I'm sorry :3
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Yep. I'm throwing the stops on this thread.

I'm not usually as egotistic as to quote myself, but I feel right now this is an appropriate time to break out this quote again.
    "Your fun is not wrong."
This discussion has been closed.