test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I know it's early but are there any skill builds out there?

Really don't have time or desire to experiment.

better yet is there a cogent explanation of the trees out there?
awkward.jpg
We Want Vic Fontaine

Comments

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    56 views and nuthin?
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    You could try the planner at "STO Academy"
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I see so many posts saying how the new system is so easy and how players have all these great builds that make them more powerful then before but not one graphic layout depicting what these great builds look like for those of us who are unsure where to start.
    I appreciate @coldnapalm for his post but you lost me after "grab EVERYTHING from tact".

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    DPS league has their recommended layout for pure DPS. You can find it here.

I haven't tried it, but honestly.. it looks too 'glass cannon' for my taste. I might try it on Tribble just to see what it can do, but for my actual build on my main I like to be able to dish as well as receive. These suggestions are a bit too lopsided for my taste, but they'll get you the biggest possible damage numbers.
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2016

I haven't tried it, but honestly.. it looks to 'glass cannon' for my taste. I might try it on Tribble just to see what it can do, but for my actual build on my main I like to be able to dish as well as receive. These suggestions are a bit too lopsided for my taste, but they'll get you the biggest possible damage numbers.

I put it on with some minor modifications to survivability on my lead space tac toon. As DPSer my original plan for a layout was quiet similar anyways. If one slots the energy refrequencer trait from reput one gains massive auto healing on high DPS builds so one is not as much of a glas cannon as one thinks. My buddy actually made his build quiet tanky with gear and boff powers only and also has no real difficulties when going full tac in tree.

One thing is for sure! Focused Frenzy is a blast already when only 2 peeps in team have it (with the team benefits unlocked).

I haven’t made any final decisions yet but I’m very close to go full tac in tree on all my toons so scis and engineers too. It’s not as if we would not have multiple other means around for self-protection or enhancement to sci attributes.

All in all I really think the Devs handled the new tree as well as the new specilization really fine.

Game wide DPS will undoubtable increase over it but it’s not as much of a powercreep disaster as it could have been.

Would not surprise me though if the Metal DPS dudes push someone to 300k over it in an controlled ISA environment by the end of the month. ;)

Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Here's what I put on all but my main character (main is an Exotics/DPS hybrid, so the spec is a little different).

Most of the tooltips are pretty good, so just pick what you think you'll need and you should be fine.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I'm thinking of going with something similar to the DPS setup. I think I'm going to pull the 3 points out of the Hangar Pet abilities in the Tactical Admiralty tree. This will remove the last 3 unlocks for the focused frenzy ultimate, but I personally believe it's sub optimal to dump points into hangar pet abilities that I don't want/need just to enhance an ability with a 2 min cooldown.

I would move the 1 point from Control since I don't need that and put it into Full Impulse Shunt. I'm surprised they didn't take that, I personally find it a 'must have.' Without it, it just takes too long to normalize your power levels when you drop out of full impulse.

I took the 3 points from the Hangar Pet abilities in the Admiralty tree and used those points to take 1 point of Shield Hardness (Commander,) 1 Point of Shield Regeneration (Commander,) and 1 into Hull Capacity in the Lt. Tree.

It would reduce the effectiveness of Focused Frenzy, but would grant increased hull and shield as well as shield resists. I'm going to play with it a little more, but I'm not sold on the idea of selling out fully into the tac tree just for the ultimate. That long cool down makes me weary of focusing my build toward obtaining that skill.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2016

I haven't tried it, but honestly.. it looks too 'glass cannon' for my taste. I might try it on Tribble just to see what it can do, but for my actual build on my main I like to be able to dish as well as receive. These suggestions are a bit too lopsided for my taste, but they'll get you the biggest possible damage numbers.

thanks for that I will give them a try, can always respec in the future if they don't work out.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Digging the super carrier based abilities :3
  • georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    Really don't have time or desire to experiment.

better yet is there a cogent explanation of the trees out there?

Depends. Although it would be helpful to know your toon's class.
  • rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    I just snagged mostly tac and some skills from the others and I'm having a grand ol' time over here.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    My Narcine: 11/15/20
    "B/I" and "B/I/A" refers to how many boxes along the Basic/Improved/Advanced progression

Engineering: Hull Restoration: Impulse Expertise B/I; Hull Plating B/Energized/Ablative; Defensive Substem Tuning, Offensive Subsystem tuning; Warp Core Potential B/I; Engineering Readiness
    Science: Shield Restoration; Shield Capacity; Control Expertise B/I; Drain Expertise B/I; Shield Hardness B/I/A; Long Range Targeting Sensors B/I/A; Scientific Readiness B/I; Shield Mastery
    Tactical Energy Weapon Training B/I/A; Targeting Expertise B/I; Defensive Maneuvering B/I; Weapon Amplification B/I; Weapon Specialization B/I; Hull Penetration B/I; Shield Weakening B/I; Coordination Protocol B/Defensive/Offensive; Tactical Readiness B/I

I use the plasmatic biomatter torpedo which is a projectile that gets its bonuses from directed plasma weapons instead of plasma projectiles. Kind of the best of both worlds at the moment.