test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

skill respec token

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
well, we will have a new tool (new skill trees), and only 1 free token. in my opinion, this is just unfair, most of the players will not have used this new system on tribble, but we will have only 1 attempt for using correctly this system. + the price of these tokens is still the same 500 zen.

the skills should have a real place in game, not only a way to earn money.

Post edited by sennahcherib on

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    There's supposed to be sale on tokens once the reskill launches. The only real gottcha, is that you lock in each skill individually, no unpicking.

It shouldn't be too hard to get decently right the first try, it is actually a lot better in explaining what does what and why than the old system. If you're not going for DPS records, I doubt you could gimp yourself enough to be noticeable.

If you're unsure aim for a balance between the three categories, and don't take the third tick (Advanced, IIRC) of anything but the ranged damage, unless you have nothing else that you want/need.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    yeah, kinda lame to revamp the whole system and give you one redo. I'd suggest going to Tribble server and doing it there first a few times. Even if you have to re-transfer your toon again and again. (Assuming Cryptic hasn't screwed up that ability OR Tribble being down for a few weeks 'just because')
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Well... There is the following to help mitigate some of the issues:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/
    &
    http://www.stf-vanguard.com/STO-Skill-Planner/
    &
    http://www.aesica.net/sto/

Just to name a few...
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2016
    erm... we are actually gonna get 2 respecs for free... (the reset + a Free token) that's more than enough!
    Post edited by comrademoco on
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    respec
    A term largely used in MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) where you are given the chance to rebuild your character's ability set. This is often granted for free as a result of game changes over time that may have rendered your character weaker.

respect
    a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Autocorrect
    a software function that automatically makes or suggests corrections for mistakes in spelling or grammar made while typing

Cell phone
    a telephone with access to a cellular radio system so it can be used over a wide area, without a physical connection to a network

Captain Obvious
    In Internet culture, Captain Obvious is a fictitious character inspired from comics super-heroes. His main super-power is the ability to state self-evident facts. The sentence "Thank you, Captain Obvious!" is sometimes used in order to sarcastically 'thank' someone who just stated something evident.
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    Autocorrect
    a software function that automatically makes or suggests corrections for mistakes in spelling or grammar made while typing

Cell phone
    a telephone with access to a cellular radio system so it can be used over a wide area, without a physical connection to a network

Captain Obvious
    In Internet culture, Captain Obvious is a fictitious character inspired from comics super-heroes. His main super-power is the ability to state self-evident facts. The sentence "Thank you, Captain Obvious!" is sometimes used in order to sarcastically 'thank' someone who just stated something evident.

OK, that was pretty epic.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    erm... we are actually gonna get 2 respecs for free... (the reset + a Free token) that's more than enough!

This!

It's actually 2 per character. When you first log in after the patch your skill tree will be empty and you will then spend all your points. You will still have the 1 free respec to use later to change anything you like.

Personally, I think it should have been 2-3 tokens per character to encourage more experimentation, but that's another topic altogether.

Autocorrect

Cell phone

Captain Obvious

Game.. set.. match.

Troll attempt foiled. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Can we play nice for once, folks? That'd be great. :3
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    Sorry Dark :blush:
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I agree, we should respec the moderators wishes.
    Can we play nice for once, folks? That'd be great. :3

Nice folks?, that'd be great. We can be for once.

Damn, that just cost me a respec token!!
    Post edited by equinox976 on
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I should have some respec tokens left over where would I find them?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    starmanj wrote: »
    I think only when you press respec (formerly required a visit to the skill trainer, after the patch will be available anywhere) you get to see how many respecs you have. They are not items and they are not listed under your currencies or similar places.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    starmanj wrote: »
    I think only when you press respec (formerly required a visit to the skill trainer, after the patch will be available anywhere) you get to see how many respecs you have. They are not items and they are not listed under your currencies or similar places.
    Ah ok thank you LOL it has been along time since I did that
  • Options
    genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    Cryptic are so tight, they broke the system and refuse to try to make it easy for people. I've been playing around with the Tribble skill revamp system for a few weeks now, so I know what build I want, but people totally new to the system and the new skills are going to have a hard time adjusting with 2 respecs. I changed my skills over 30 times to get the build I wanted, that would have been 28+ respec tokens that I would have had to purchase. So if you have 10gb of bandwidth and that again in hard drive space then Tribble is the best route to take. A few of the new skills don't have detailed descriptions so you may need to test them out first or get advice on them. I think the system will be harshest on people coming back to the game after launch who won't have a clue about the 1-click skill purchase system.
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Got to get that token to make sure you show respect towards skills.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Autocorrect

Captain Obvious
    Autocorrect: Then perhaps pay attention before posting, my phone tries that too.
    Captain Obvious is far older than the internet :P
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Today's announcement is a 40% reduction in "Retrain" token price. Personally, I can only recall using a single respec in 2.5 years, so I have accumulated quite a few. Go to your nearest Trainer NPC, click on the "Respec" button, and your current Respec inventory will be shown.

Somewhere in the last 1.5 years, Cryptic increased the number of respec's that drop due to career progression (leveling up), so my last three 'toons have twice as many as the first three... :*
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    well, I must say that the cynicism of cryptic is fantastic; 40% reduction. sometimes, I am really amazed by their business acumen.

they want to do something interesting for this game. price of 1 token: 250 zen and the possibility to buy only 500 zen.

few month ago, it was interestig to use the dil exchange, but with an exchange rate at 300, I stopped; too expensive.
    And I have always hated the fact that I can't buy the zen that I need; when I need 500 zen, I don't want to buy 1000 zen

• Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    I don't want to buy 1000 zen

Well you don't have to if you don't want to. But if everybody felt the same way as yourself (and have no wish to make monetary contributions to the game) it would be unlikely that the game could continue to exist.

As Cryptic does not charge for expansions and/or 'seasons' it's methods gaining money is relatively limited to costumes, ships and other small things such as skill re-spec tokens.

Not that you are 'wrong' for feeling the way you do, but similarly nor is Cryptic 'wrong' for trying to make a profit.
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Just got onto Trbble for the first time. Most worthwhile free download ever.
    I'm on my 3rd respec, and that's just my first character.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Well you don't have to if you don't want to. But if everybody felt the same way as yourself (and have no wish to make monetary contributions to the game) it would be unlikely that the game could continue to exist.

oh! I spent already a lot of money in game, but it is tiring to buy x amounts of zen, when you don't need this amount. :) (this defies my logic :p )
    And like we don't have the possibility to buy only 500 zen, I don't buy 1000 zen (the amount available for 10 euros). + the prices of all these tokens are too high.

I have always thought that the devs make a mistake of moneterizing the skills. but this is not the subject of this topic
  • Options
    cbiz1983cbiz1983 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Question for the lifers: I could have sworn I saw mentioned that lifetime members were getting back their handful of respec tokens. When I hit the retrain button it shows that I have 0 tokens and 1 free respec (which is what everyone got).

anyone know anything?
    45bEibx.jpg
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/
    &
    http://www.stf-vanguard.com/STO-Skill-Planner/
    &
    http://www.aesica.net/sto/

Just to name a few...

That Vanguard one is excellent for space skill planning, and the STO Academy is best overall, if you have your stuff memorized. Good tips, friend. Now, maybe people can stop being rude and summoning the devs.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    cbiz1983 wrote: »
    Question for the lifers: I could have sworn I saw mentioned that lifetime members were getting back their handful of respec tokens. When I hit the retrain button it shows that I have 0 tokens and 1 free respec (which is what everyone got).

anyone know anything?

It was some option on the table in internal discussions, but never guaranteed. Apparently the bean counters prevailed here... (Because I had the strong feeling that there was a lot of internal discussion with some clearly on the side of "make it cheaper permanently" and some not so...)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    tousseau wrote: »

That Vanguard one is excellent for space skill planning, and the STO Academy is best overall, if you have your stuff memorized. Good tips, friend. Now, maybe people can stop being rude and summoning the devs.

No. There are errors in there. At science, the Cmd and Lt. Cmd skills are reversed, and at tactical the Cpt and Cmd skills.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Yes, the STF Vanguard planner is wrong. It's using old information.

The two best sites to plan skills are Aesica's site, and STO Academy. They're both up to date with the current live version.
    Insert witty signature line here.