test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A "Too Late For Summer Event" Suggestion: Risian Submarine

brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
The Risian Event Ship Speculation thread had a suggestion for a submarine as the Summer Event Ship this year, and I thought it was an excellent suggestion, but we all know Cryptic's stance on player-operated vehicles. However, it gave me ideas, and I presume to share them with you:

As many suggestions for new Summer Event contests and activities have come up, and there is limited space on the old Risa map, it occurred to me that we could use a new island for additional events. It would be accessible by sailboat or by use of a new feature on the Risa map: The Yellow Submarine. While a sailboat would simply travel to the edge of the map and transition, passengers who want to ride in style could board the submarine parked at the end of the pier.

Passengers who board the submarine enter a 'lounge' where social activities are ongoing, and can opt to stand by a port to view the scenery passing by as the sub travels. Taking a seat in the observation lounge allows a broad view from the clear nose of the sub, and perhaps you'll get a glimpse of the legendary Giant Octopus of Risa along with coral reefs and the variety of Risian fishes. Once you reach your destination, (a player in a hurry can simply board and disembark immediately if he wishes to skip the various activities on the sub,) you disembark at the New Island Event Zone.

NPC's hang out on the sub, including vendors of various Risian social and food items, and there is the obligatory Dabo table to keep passengers entertained. There would be a dance floor with a transparent floor so the dancers can see the underwater scenery pass by.

Ferengi Gambler: will bet latinum, (slips, strips, or bars,) on the next race. He bets against you, and your placement in the event determines your winnings. He will bet on power board races, sailboat races, or any of the various activities which have a finish line and a timer.

Captain Ahab: An old seaman tells tales of the Great Giant Octopus that roams the Risian seas, claiming the beast is smarter than the average human. He also gives tips on the best harpoon octopus fishermen should use, and tells of a 'secret spawning ground' where giant octopus are common.

Pearl Appraiser: She will look over the collection of pearls your character managed to harvest and offer EC, latinum, or Risian Lohunat tokens for them. She will also discuss where the more common Pearl Diving locations might be.

Tenzing: A native Risian whose sole love is mountain climbing, Tenzing will discuss how she made the record free climb up the face of Mount Joy, or slip you a few hints as to where the best gear for mountain climbing can be found or how to make a difficult ascent most efficiently.

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I still want a playable Yellow Science Vessel Submarine... There should eventually be a 3rd Risan ship, and a Science Vessel is missing in that lineup, and a submarine is a logical topic. Admittedly, the shape of Submarines is not that exciting...

Not sure if you want to have an actual underwater adventure zone - just for the Risa Summer Event, that might be a bit overkill, considering what would need to be build for it. (Though Cryptic and I think specifically @tacofangs have done underwater zones before, in Champions Online there is an region with story arcs and all devoted to it.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I still want a playable Yellow Science Vessel Submarine... There should eventually be a 3rd Risan ship, and a Science Vessel is missing in that lineup, and a submarine is a logical topic. Admittedly, the shape of Submarines is not that exciting...

Well, in worst case it would look like an yellow bulwark. ;)
    Though a non-tac-slanted sci ship would be great but I doubt we'll ever see such a thing again, especially since even the new nakul ship has a confirmed lt.cmdr tac seat again... :/

Porbably the same as the event krenim one just with different specs.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    (Though Cryptic and I think specifically @tacofangs have done underwater zones before, in Champions Online there is an region with story arcs and all devoted to it.)

. . . . and Lemuria was one of the most despised zones in all of Champions, from the dev side. It was gorgeous, but it was a royal pain to work in, and to make gameplay work in.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    tacofangs wrote: »
    (Though Cryptic and I think specifically @tacofangs have done underwater zones before, in Champions Online there is an region with story arcs and all devoted to it.)

. . . . and Lemuria was one of the most despised zones in all of Champions, from the dev side. It was gorgeous, but it was a royal pain to work in, and to make gameplay work in.

on the bright side, you already did it once so you can just swipe the majority of the code from champions and transplant it in STO - or rather, the code guys can; you'd just be building the gorgeous waterscape​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    Eh, just take the dyson sphere atmospheric speed stuff, throw a volumetric effect in for 'under water visuals' from the Undine missions, flip the map so the 'surface' is up top beyond the players' reach, like the opposite of 'A step between stars', and do five hundred hours of mind numbing sequence coding work- and you're good.

See? Easy peasy (lolno).
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »

I haven't played much Champions Online, but I didn't like Lemuria. Not because of looks, but I don't like the "speciality" environment. It's not the only game where I don't really enjoy that. There are always games that add specialty/gimmick scenarios and mechanics - but if they last too long, it feels like I am forced to play a different game then I set down to play. Sometimes that might be okay, most of the time it just annoys me. (Like Duke Nukem Forever's miniaturization gameplay levels... Meh. Can I get back to shooting people with guns as the game promised to be about.)
    I am not a big fan of Ground Combat in STO, but it has its reason to exist here and is part of the whole game experience, and to some aspect critical to get the Star Trek feeling - because Star Trek is about interacting with all the other aliens and people, not just looking at their ships*. I like the attempt at low/zero gravity zones with environmental suits and all - but I wouldn't want a battle/adventure zone in it.

*) If only we could have interior missions... What wouldn't I give for a standard ship interior per faction where mission content can happen... *sigh*
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Well, the mechanical aspects of the idea are in game already, but there would be issues bringing them together and making a go of it. However, I would hate to see any of the previous years of Risian development tossed out to make room for something new, and of course, we always have something new. So: Extend a dock, put a submarine on the end of it with a transition to the sub interior, then create a whole new island for Risian summer fun and Lohunat Favors, (and perhaps Risian Marks? Shouldn't there be a currency especially for having fun?)
  • puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    I too desire more social zones that will be devoid of players and unrelated to the Star Trek franchise.
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I too desire more social zones that will be devoid of players and unrelated to the Star Trek franchise.

Underwater adventures are canon, dude. Check out this Fishy Story complete with submarine shuttlecraft.

Ah TRIBBLE, looking back on that made me think of a sunken city on Risa. Of course, it would be a more modern one than Atlantis, with glass high-rises and brownstone houses. Built back before Risa's geological engineers stabilized the planet, it's now a testimony to the perseverance of the Risan people in the face of a harsh environment. Plus, who could resist giant shrimp?