test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shield Weakening/Long Range Targeting

lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
Shield Weakening seems like a Science thing, and Long Range Targeting seems like a Tactical thing.

Just saying...

Comments

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I guess its really a question of which unlock path and ultimate do you want each one contributing to, since that's the real meaning of the colors on the chart.

While I like where you're headed, I can also see Shield Weakening techniques being part of the lead-in to Frenzy and the advanced calculations for Long Range Targeting contributing to Probability Manipulation.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lagunad wrote: »
    Shield Weakening seems like a Science thing, and Long Range Targeting seems like a Tactical thing.

Just saying...
    Long Range sounds like something sensors-related to me.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    No these are both science related tech upgrades. Tactical officers shoot guns thy don't build them.
  • lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    If the skills are kept where they are, "Shield Destruction" or something with a similar flavor (Annihilation, Vaporization, Elimination, etc.) would be a better name.

Shield Weakening sounds kinda off. It kinda is what they do, because you deal more damage... But it kinda sounds as if you were somehow weakening shields, and then you deal damage.

Maybe it should have a fancier Trek/technobabble term?

Unfortunately everything I can come up with ends a bit long...
    "Enhanced Shield Frequency Matching"
    "Optimized Shield Frequency Matching"
    "Shield Harmonized Weapons"
    "Offensive Frequency Optimization"
    "Shield Impact Optimization"
    "Weapon To Shield Tuning"
    "Weapon to Shield Harmonization"

Oh, something shorter perhaps, but with similar flaws as Shield Weakening perhaps"
    "Weapon Harmonization"
    "Weapon Optimization"
    "Frequency Optimization"
    "Shield Matching"

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • quammenquammen Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    "Shield Harmonics Disruption"
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    "Weapon Harmonization"
    "Weapon Optimization"

Either one of those I would be happy with..although I'm leaning more toward Weapon Harmonization, since it sounds like Treknobabble.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
    Just Shield Disruption is fine.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2016
    * Shield Destruction
    * Shield Disruption
    * Shield Matching

These are the only ones I like that've been mentioned, so far.

Forget the idea of making it Treknobabble or lore-appropriate, or anything like that. The names of Skills have to thoroughly reflect what they do, mechanically. Players that don't have a complete understanding of the game need to be able to make an educated guess as to what a Skill does, based on name alone.

"Shield Weakening" was chosen because it directly opposes "Shield Hardness" (and because "Shield Softening" was determined to be an inferior choice).

Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    Not clear to me how "Shield Matching" thoroughly reflects what the skill does.

Shield *Mashing*, maybe, lol... (although I like Shield Destruction or Shield Elimination better)
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    Amusingly, of the 5 you mention, I actually like Shield Softening the most.
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I like Shield Disruption.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Shield Disruption is probably out because it confuses the namespace around Disruptors and their proc.

Interestingly we're looking for a name NOT synonymous with penetration or burn through. This is an effect that plays merry hell with the shields instead of bypassing them. Just exploring the sounds a bit...

"The Shield Strike skill counters the Shield Hardening skill"

"The Shield Breaker skill increases the damage your weapons inflict on shields."

"The Fracture skill increases the damage your weapons inflict on shields."

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    * Shield Destruction
    * Shield Disruption
    * Shield Matching

Forget the idea of making it Treknobabble or lore-appropriate, or anything like that. The names of Skills have to thoroughly reflect what they do, mechanically. Players that don't have a complete understanding of the game need to be able to make an educated guess as to what a Skill does, based on name alone.

"Shield Weakening" was chosen because it directly opposes "Shield Hardness" (and because "Shield Softening" was determined to be an inferior choice).

I think I saw a long thread on the topic, but I hope when all settles, captains' damage will be left in the same spot they are now if you choose shield hardness and hull plating. Right now I get hit with a DRB+SIC+weapons fire combo that pretty much kills my resistance and leaves me to blow up quickly. Why all these damage+resistance reduction boff abilities don't share a cooldown is beyond me when you still make Tyekns and GW share a CD. You should make ST clear DRB much the same way ET clears SIC.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    Shield matching = Frequency Matching?
    That makes sense bort, it is logically the most appropriate name it just doesn't sound as cool as the alternatives.
    * Shield Destruction
    * Shield Disruption
    * Shield Matching

I kinda understand... We don't need another Subspace Decompilers, I guess.
    Still... I wish it would sound "trekkish".

Though Exotic Particle Generators still doesn't really sound like anything... "Science Damage" would be misleading, too, I suppose...
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    * Shield Destruction
    * Shield Disruption
    * Shield Matching

I think I saw a long thread on the topic, but I hope when all settles, captains' damage will be left in the same spot they are now if you choose shield hardness and hull plating. Right now I get hit with a DRB+SIC+weapons fire combo that pretty much kills my resistance and leaves me to blow up quickly. Why all these damage+resistance reduction boff abilities don't share a cooldown is beyond me when you still make Tyekns and GW share a CD. You should make ST clear DRB much the same way ET clears SIC.

Well im pretty sure ET and ST do work against those respective abilities..Problems with DRB is yea...you clear the debuff, but if your still getting hit by it, it reapplies (like TIf) because bother are per pulse.Boost morale also works :P.Heh..The Sci ultimate just went from -5 to -10 per crit hit (debuff)..Wow..couple that with DRB..whew..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

Yes the science ultimate is pretty wicked, I'mma enjoy that.