test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Timely notice

So, we get the notice of a giveaway in news right as the giveaway is ending? How is this supposed to get us to log in?
This is a good way to alienate long-standing and paying players who -cannot- log in daily. It's because of this that I have a flagging interest in continuing to play. Not the outcome I think Cryptic desired.

Comments

• Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    They are giving 48 hours notice for the First Contact giveaways...

• Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    um.... the announcement has been going on since 29th... were have you been?
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    fusteriusfusterius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    um.... the announcement has been going on since 29th... were have you been?

My point entirely. The notice just went up on the news site, and it's been going on since 3/31. I am unable to log in regularly right now, so I check the news for the important bits. Well, much to my surprise the news site seems rather ineffectual at it's role, or Trendy took a 5 day nap before announcing old news.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I saw the announcement on the news site on the 31st. It's been updated every two days with the current giveaway. You can't rely on the Top Three headlines, though - you have to watch the scrolling-window display, too.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Just in case I missed it I went back over the entire news entries from March and April. Not one mention of this until today.

Comradeemoco: Where did you see something on the 29th in the news?
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    In before the thread veers into "They didn't plan the event around my extra-special personal schedule, so I deserve special treatment" territory.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    I saw the announcement on the news site on the 31st. It's been updated every two days with the current giveaway. You can't rely on the Top Three headlines, though - you have to watch the scrolling-window display, too.

I certainly didn't just look at the top notices. Is there something different between the news on the Arc application versus the Arc webpage?
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    AgentSmithFair.gif
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Actually the news item has been going on since it began. I stumbled onto the news page randomly just a couple hours after it was posted. Now a buddy of mine would have appreciated it if the email notifier actually worked but I let him know so he didnt miss out
  • Options
    I went back 2 days... big deal... but you get the point... the notice was up in there...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    The notice was posted the first day of giveaway.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I went back 2 days... big deal... but you get the point... the notice was up in there...

Not sure I understand your point. And to Equinoxes point (visual as it is), yes this is a petty complaint. Unless they've changed the way news announcements work, I see no actual evidence that there were notices before today (not that I think there weren't - enough of you agree) So, not only did I miss it somehow, but I've only got today's announcement.

It's not like this is the only give-away I've missed, and It's doesn't make a terrible impact on my in-game wealth, but I stand by my original comment: this is not a good way to get people to log in.

One more thought: I would have simply sucked it up had I found evidence of the previous announcements and not made this (now pointless) thread. Seeing only today's notice and nothing else is what set me off. If that policy has changed, please let me suggest that old announcements stay up on the news site, like all the other old announcements appear to.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    It was there... If you missed it, be more observant.

The reason you can't find the old ones, is because they just reuse the existing one, update the text, and set it to "on top of list".

Not rocket science...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    fusterius wrote: »

Not sure I understand your point. And to Equinoxes point (visual as it is), yes this is a petty complaint. Unless they've changed the way news announcements work, I see no actual evidence that there were notices before today (not that I think there weren't - enough of you agree) So, not only did I miss it somehow, but I've only got today's announcement.

It's not like this is the only give-away I've missed, and It's doesn't make a terrible impact on my in-game wealth, but I stand by my original comment: this is not a good way to get people to log in.

One more thought: I would have simply sucked it up had I found evidence of the previous announcements and not made this (now pointless) thread. Seeing only today's notice and nothing else is what set me off. If that policy has changed, please let me suggest that old announcements stay up on the news site, like all the other old announcements appear to.

ok I don't know if you've paid attention but every time we get a giveaway... like this one... the same blog is updated therefore you don't see the previous rewards.... the blog has been updated 2 times now...

the Original blog which was the Borg DOff, the updated to the Phoenix and the current updated blog of the Cruiser....

nothing has changed... it's always been like that...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    Dude, this has been a thing since the beginning. There have been announcements, and a forum post. Surely you can at least check the forums, right?
  • Options
    ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    OP, adding to the voices of others, I saw the news item on the news site (probably partway through) the first day announcing the borg doff. I also saw the Phoenix when I was in a different city via the news page, so it definitely was announced.

Did you visit the news page on the STO website and refresh it regularly?
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    It looks like even 48 hours isn't enough of a window to stop people from complaining.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Yep news was up in a timely manner, and gave us all plenty of time. If you missed it, you have no one to blame but yourself.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    OP, adding to the voices of others, I saw the news item on the news site (probably partway through) the first day announcing the borg doff. I also saw the Phoenix when I was in a different city via the news page, so it definitely was announced.

Did you visit the news page on the STO website and refresh it regularly?

i agree,, gotta check the news site often.
    The new giveaway update replaced the older notification. For example, today's notice replaced Saturday's which replaced Thursday's. This has been the practice for some time.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    fusterius wrote: »
    Just in case I missed it I went back over the entire news entries from March and April. Not one mention of this until today.

Comradeemoco: Where did you see something on the 29th in the news?

the first news article announcement was posted on the news page on the 3/31/16 for the borg doff giveaway, the second news article announcement was posted on the news page on the 4/2/16 for the phoenix Admiralty Ship Card giveaway and overwrote the borg doff giveaway announcement, the third news article announcement was posted on the news page on the 4/4/16 (today) for the Assimilated Assault Cruiser Admiralty Ship Card and overwrote the the phoenix Admiralty Ship Card giveaway announcement.

this is why you will not find the previous announcements, they were all overwritten with the updated giveaway announcements.
    you had 48hrs from each news item being posted/updated to claim each of the giveaways.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    They also posted the news on their facebook page, that's where I saw the first announcement.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • Options
    ok guys I think the OP gets the point now.... we should just let the thread die now...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    I saw it in the "news" section of the Cryptic Launcher.
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Silly Comrademoco...

One does not simply alow a thread like this to die.
    :p
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    It was posted on the STO news page the day it started, then replaced 2 days later with giveaway 2, then replaced this morning with giveaway 3.

There has also been a thread in the Galactic News Network section here since it started. Check the date of the first post.

Sorry OP, you've apparently been asleep for the last 4 days. Wake up!
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    I think the OP may be referring to it not being added to this news section until late in the giveaway: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/index
    Currently it's showing only the third day giveaway and none of the previous items. But, as others pointed out, they just updated and reposted the same blog.

It had been announced from day 1 on the forums in the news section here though.

What they could have done was keep the previous items listed in the blog but have red text that says [Ended]. This way people could see what they missed without having to ask around, or look through comments in the official forum thread for the giveaway.

The Arc news section is a bit neglected. http://www.arcgames.com/en/arc-news/tag/arc-patch-notes They hardly ever post any patch notes for the Arc client. Latest notes at this time was posted Nov. 23, 2015, but there have been several updates to the client since then.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    It's 2 admiralty cards and a DOFF. Let's chill on that. I mean I like free stuff. And I like these cards and the DOFF is neat, but ... it's 2 cards and a DOFF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I think the OP may be referring to it not being added to this news section until late in the giveaway: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/index
    Currently it's showing only the third day giveaway and none of the previous items. But, as others pointed out, they just updated and reposted the same blog.

What they could have done was keep the previous items listed in the blog but have red text that says [Ended]. This way people could see what they missed without having to ask around, or look through comments in the official forum thread for the giveaway.

The Arc news section is a bit neglected. http://www.arcgames.com/en/arc-news/tag/arc-patch-notes They hardly ever post any patch notes for the Arc client. Latest notes at this time was posted Nov. 23, 2015, but there have been several updates to the client since then.

The Arc STO news page had giveaway 1 posted there on Thursday morning. Then they replaced it with giveaway 2 on Saturday morning. Then they replaced it with giveaway 3 today.

Basically, OP had to ignore the Arc main site and forums and facebook and twitter (and ArsTechnica STO thread and probably reddit and some other MMO news sites) for the last 4 days to only hear about it today.

I suppose it's a sort of semi-legitimate complaint that there is no "mystery giveaways coming soon!" pre-announcement weeks in advance for those that only show up once every few weeks.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    *idly wonders if the OP knows he can request thread closure on his own topics*
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2016

The Arc STO news page had giveaway 1 posted there on Thursday morning. Then they replaced it with giveaway 2 on Saturday morning. Then they replaced it with giveaway 3 today.

Basically, OP had to ignore the Arc main site and forums and facebook and twitter (and ArsTechnica STO thread and probably reddit and some other MMO news sites) for the last 4 days to only hear about it today.

I suppose it's a sort of semi-legitimate complaint that there is no "mystery giveaways coming soon!" pre-announcement weeks in advance for those that only show up once every few weeks.

OK. I don't know what the OP is talking about then as to which news site didn't have the info on day 1. I admit I almost never go to the Arc news site for STO and get all my news on the official forums here because Trendy is pretty good at keeping us informed about stuff.

Maybe it would help if the OP could be more specific as to which news site it was and post a link. All sources seem to point out that it had been posted since day 1 on the proper news sections. Perhaps the OP means he didn't get the email notification on day 1? I think I got it on day 1 but deleted it since I don't bother reading emails on STO and, as I said, get my news on the forums (checking here on a daily basis).

Edit: I bet that's what it was. Getting emails notifying us of special events and sales sometimes don't get to me until after it had already started. I can't remember exactly, but I think I got an email saying the anniversary event was here about a day or 2 after the event was already going.

This has been an issue for a really long time. I wish they would improve things for people who prefer the emails to get their STO news.