test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Visual Slots

Comments

• thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »
    An after thought, will the Visual slots be like inventory slots, meaning once they are loaded from either another ship, bank or inventory that frees up the slots they came from?

Like your thinking. :)
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Weapons could use such a feature. It's nice we have it, although I personally disable visuals anyway pig-2.gif​​

This is a very welcomed change but the weapons issue is a matter of perspective where I had same viewpoint with the weapons. Although if you back and watch various ship combat involving a Klingon ship over the vast series and movies of Star Trek you'll notice that Klingon ships have had a wide variety of what colors their weapons were. So for a KDF player its more beneficial where the federation ships have always been the phaser using type.

Although you could debate the core reason why they didn't allow this in the first place due to the statement "we still want players to know what is being used via the weapon colors". The point on that and not knocking the lockboxes but reps and lockboxes have given more variety to use but yet at same time debunk the reasoning for it.

I just hope this direction they've been taking since they have the current EP in the command continues. In that regard they pretty much have made me happy with what KDF development they have done(maybe a few more non-klingon ships and a few bops would top that off). I just hope some of their work in the pipeline is making communication as well as grouping easier removing the barrier between factions with teaming especially with DSE's and Battlezones to where you can insta team/having map fleet commanders to coordinate things and having the ability to talk to just your map where your not seeing trolls from 10 different maps lol. Anyways props to the devs on this and those that still support them :)
  • stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    And while I see that the majority of players apparently like this... It is not something I ever found myself wanting or needing. Is it so strange that I am perfectly fine using whatever skin my current set is giving me? I mean, I don't know, I guess cosmetics is just not that important to me as the damage I put out, which with me takes precedence over all else.

No, you are not alone on feeling that way.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    More Customization you say ?

chuck-norris-thumbs-up.jpg

Good Job, keep it up.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    With Season 11.5, we’re adding a new and long requested feature from Captains who wanted greater control over the appearance of their ship.

Learn more about our new Visual Slots!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Wanted this for such a long time! I almost had a heart attack seeing this finally come true! Thank you guy!
    1kltX02.jpg
  • filemonafilemona Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I do like and approve of this, even though I haven't got the impression it was a frequently requested feature. Would've liked it better if it was implemented through ship tailor or at least if you didn't have to physically put gear in the visual slot, but still kudos to you, devs.

However, there's a feature I believe is requested even more often, that traits (personal, reputation and starship) are saved in loadout slots, since many of them largely impact the way you use your ship, eg. if I have a ship with a torpboat loadout, I have to manually toggle all the torp-enhancing reputation traits or if a loadout has Feedback pulse, I have to select Enhanced Feedback Pulse as a starship trait.
    Post edited by filemona on
    @fereldenvstamriel: Tharal (Fed tac lvl 50), Fileippo (Rom-fed sci, lvl 21)
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Nice one! Thank you.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    It's funny, I never noticed any changes to the appearance of the ships with components slotted in, except for those from the Reputation system that makes a big deal about changing the appearance of ships.

Such as the Borg components, but not from the Romulan Reps.

If only they'll finally fix the Warp Drive visuals in Sector Space that's been bad (thanks to Marketing who insisted that people thought Impulse effects were cooler than Warp Drive effects). Even in the ship customization screen, the Impulse visuals are flaring. Something needs to be done about that.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    ...Now my star ship can be as pretty as I feel.
    dame-edna-everage.jpg

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    I will be the one bitter grape of the bunch: I DISLIKE THIS METHOD OF IMPLEMENTATION. It would have been far better to simply run an unlock skin feature like they do for ground costumes, then let us mix and match both skins (total hull visual change) and overlays (Borg, MACO, A.MACO, and Aegis, where the hull's default skin and pattern is still visible underneath), with the ability to put patterns over the skin while the overlay sits on top of that.

Such as putting the Assimilated Borg Shield overlay over the Romulan/Reman Shield skin or the Aegis Shield overlay over the Nukara Shield skin. Or even giving the Dyson Shield skin a hexagonal sheen by putting the A.MACO skin over it.

Then combined with patterns, would allow for some major customization (the way the Dyson Carrier and Dyson ships can have a ghost pattern effect on their hulls, but expanded for any ship using the Dyson Shield skin).

I feel this particular method was a bit lazy and the easy way out.
  • galactickirigalactickiri Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    Apparance, Vanity slots...etc. It's been done in other MMO's...some players will never touch them, many will use them, knowing it's a level of customization that will kick the game up a notch.

Thank you...I'll be using them for sure.
  • i8myhelli8myhell Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Definitely an unexpected additional feature that will be useful & nifty for the aesthetically inclined.
  • yan52yan52 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I think I have to schedule a little Dyson grinding for that pretty shield effect...
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    If you mean the one from "A Step Between Stars" then you will be dissapointed - it does not count as haveing visual effect (can't be put in Visual slot) - unless it's bug on Tribble. But the one from Dyson Reputation works.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    The Solanae set has no visuals, yes. But I don't think he meant that one.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    null
    I like it
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• yan52yan52 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I meant the Dyson Regenerative Shield not the Solanae Resilient one. I already have the full Solanae set on my ship (minus the warp core) but I want the Dyson visual for it.
    AL0ttQv.jpg
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Definitely looking forward to this!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    I'm kinda neutral about the subject, but I guess this is one way to get around the fact that there hasn't been any new visuals with any of the space gear that's come out recently.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    finally! Great job. I assume this wasn't implementable into the ship tailor if you had to add visual slots to the ships itself. Any ideas why it couldn't be implemented?
    Go pro or go home
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    finally! Great job. I assume this wasn't implementable into the ship tailor if you had to add visual slots to the ships itself. Any ideas why it couldn't be implemented?

I actually prefer the simplicity of drag and drop. Adding it to the tailor would be needlessly complicated and require a trip to the tailor to make amendments.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »

@borticuscryptic explained it in the test shard thread about it. Essentially some of the Shield FX are incomplete so they can't be plugged directly into the Appearance Vendor as Ship Materials.

• thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    yan52 wrote: »
    I meant the Dyson Regenerative Shield not the Solanae Resilient one. I already have the full Solanae set on my ship (minus the warp core) but I want the Dyson visual for it.
    AL0ttQv.jpg

I currently use this set on my Nicor build... but I do solely for visual reasons (the toon who flies that one is themed on Jeff Sinclair from Babylon 5. I chose the Nicor as it looks a bit Vorlonesque and the Dyson shield because it gives it an effect that I think makes the hull feel a little White Star-like. The idea being that the ship is a next generation of White Star that borrows even more from Vorlon heritage. She's kitted out with Elachi disruptors.

However, I don't feel the Dyson set is the most intuitive for a Nicor, so being able to slot the Dyson for just its visuals would suit me for that toon.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Good change...hopefully they do weapons soon.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I'm actually a little disappointed about one thing; with things like ion trails playing such a role in Impulse Engines and Shield visuals and thus with the new Visual Slots, there's still some related bugs that weren't fixed - the fact that Vastam nacelles have no ion trails, specifically - that end up detracting some from my enthusiasm. Don't know about anyone else, but being able to equip New Rom Rep Shields with Dyson Regenerative visuals doesn't make it any better if a player's still stuck with the choice of bugged ion trails or the wrong nacelles...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I'm loving this update. There's some really funky looking ships round ESD now and it's cool to be able to really let your ship look how you want it to.

Only thing I really want is a black shield visual like the Avenger skin, the Reman one is not bad but the green glowy bits don't really work for me.
    SulMatuul.png
    Is it just my experience, or are these new visual slots the reason space has been so much noisier lately?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Saw this as the most recent announcement thread (from the main forum overview, not the announcements section itself) and almost had a heart attack thinking weapon visuals were announced, lol.

@jodarkrider @pwlaughingtrendy can announcements be considered zombie threads? Last post was a little over 30 days ago
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • cyphexthekingcyphextheking Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Just can repeat myself from an other thread here:

I also wish a "weapon-energy-color-slot" in the visuals.
    For example:
    My Fleet Avenger flys antiproton, so its dark red lighting, but i using borg stuff in visuals.
    Now, the nakuhl weapons have a nice dark-green color, and i would love to use a nakuhl weapon to put in a visual-slot that overwrites the red AP color.

On My Tholian Tarantula, i allready fly with disruptors, but it contains a coalition one, and the terran taskforce beam. all together looks bit like "rainbow". In the visuals i also added the borg-stuff, because i really like its effects and colors.
    Here the same; i would love to add a nakuhl beam to overwrite the weapon colors..

I remember in past, there was a chatcommand, "/powerhue" or so. But this was removed, sadly :(

I really wish, that there will be added a weapon-style slot too :)
    2ntadi4o8mmx.png