test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Visual Slots

Comments

• goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    This will really endear the players to their favorite ships even more. Very much looking forward to this. My T5-U ships have always been my favorite ships...now even more! Another good thing is...you won't need to upgrade equipment in order to max out it's potential and still retain a particular look for your ship. Now we can simply get the equipment for it's looks and leave it at whatever status it starts at while maxing out the equipment that we want for the stats it gives.

Sometimes the simplest modifications, even cosmetic ones like this, can bring the most satisfaction.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Uhhhhh..........
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    Can you use an item in both the using slots and visual slots?
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    The next great quality of life upgrade should be unrestricting the costume combinations and color palletes in the tailor for ALL costumes, incl. rep gear.
    1xe027q.png
  • chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    [/quote]

A thousand times this. Please include an energy weapon/torpedo aesthetic slot so all our weapons can look like phasers or disrupters or whatever we like no matter which weapons we have equipped. Especially for things like when we equip the new quantum phased phaser set and end up with one blue phaser with the rest all orange *grr*[/quote]

I would like to see this but in a limited form. The few odd colored weapons from sets would be fine with things like the green bio phaser being able to go basic phaser orange and etc. However they should never allow any color choice for a visual across all weapons. It would effect pvp in a major way as players wouldnt be able to tell what energy type or special proc type they need to defend against.

On the other hand this ship set visual change is great and something wanted for years by players. Its effects are more than just space barbie visuals because in pvp we have to turn visuals off so others cant tell what set we use. Now we can use any set we want and have the ship look like something else.[/quote]

For the 3 remaining PVP players, what if the slots / setting was ignored in PVP maps?

[/quote]
    Yes pvp is not as popular as it was and yes all 3 of us would be fine with that lol
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • voyagersixvoyagersix Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    phrg wrote: »
    Really happy this is being included.

Now, if only I could unify weapon colours...

:D
    It would effect pvp in a major way as players wouldnt be able to tell what energy type or special proc type they need to defend against.

What of colourblind pvpers? If you want to see what you're being hit with, there's a combat log.
    coldjaguar wrote: »
    coldjaguar wrote: »
    I just have to add look at the blog pic for this and as usual they showcase a totally wrong ship build that can confuse players. lol Beams and turrets together the consoles are just a jumbled hot mess of nonsense. Things like that do not help newer players learn how to build a ship. No wonder so many players in the ques have no clue how to play. This game really needs a way to teach players how the basics work for ship builds other than word of mouth from vets.

You joking right? The thread is about ship visual and you post about the setup of the ship in the picture showing the new visual system. Wow, and you think people will start by this picture to learn how to use equipment and console. Amazing.

On a side note, something like that will be cool to use but i think there are more things that need to be fixed or balanced. You already adding the new skill systems, should wait before adding something trivial like this.

Nope not a joke. You might be surprised at how many players have no clue what to do with builds. The only references they have are what comes on the ship when claimed and visuals on posts of dev ships like in that pic. Players that know how learned from vets,fleet mates.found builds online or just trial and error. The avg players in the game don't do those things so have no clue because the game doesnt teach them. Which is why so many players only do 1-5k DPS in the ques and have things like rainbow boats. A tutorial on ship builds would be nice because it definitely doesnt help when every dev post with a pic over the years shows a garbage build that makes no sense.

True about this website not teaching for the game, but the problem start when you get new ship with new rank and the setup is always mixed of beams, cannons, torpedo.

And just to point out something, i do have ship that go around 12K dps and i do have a rainbow boat that does 7K dps. Why because i just want to have some fun or just play the game with lot of colors and sound. Can i have a ship that does better DPS, yes, will i go crazy over someone DPS over a computer game no. I might not be hardcore gamer but something farming or grinding with fun is better then boring.

I agree that having fun in a build is the way I play also as I can get above 40k+ but settle with 30k+ because of how I play. Doing 5k or even 10k dps is fine if you play on normal ques but when playing ADV or ELITE players with low numbers hurt the team because they cant kill anything. Its not our fault because the NPCs have 100s of thousands to millions of hitpoints and low DPS players cant hang even tho they think they can when they que up for missions.
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    seannewboy wrote: »

I'd like an answer to this one please.

Does it mean that if we slot say the Nukara shield in the visual slot we need a second copy for the actual equipment slot? Or does the equipment slot still have a visual option that can be on/off as it currently is?

I'd rather not have to spend twice the resources just to get the look.
    SulMatuul.png
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Thank you.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

Does it mean that if we slot say the Nukara shield in the visual slot we need a second copy for the actual equipment slot? Or does the equipment slot still have a visual option that can be on/off as it currently is?

@seannewboy @lordsteve1

I would imagine the visual slots are optional and only apply if filled. Just don't disable the visuals on the equipment slot.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    Cheers for this! Thanks devs I know a lot of people will be using it. ^.^
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    dalolorn wrote: »
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

@seannewboy @lordsteve1

I would imagine the visual slots are optional and only apply if filled. Just don't disable the visuals on the equipment slot.

Judging from the blog, this is true. It said "The items equipped in the slots in the Visuals tab overrides the appearance of any matching item that is normally equipped." which means that items equipped in the usual manner will still have their visuals show (unless disabled) and you only use the new slots if you want to override the visuals of the item you are actually using.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Will this arrive on April 12th with the expansion?
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Will this arrive on April 12th with the expansion?

First line of the blog does read "With Season 11.5, we’re adding a new and long requested feature from Captains who wanted greater control over the appearance of their ship." so I would assume that means it's coming with season 11.5 on the 12th.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    The only other way I can think of as a better implementation for this system would be to rename them to FX slots. Instead of keeping shield, engine, and deflector effects bound to specific items. I would rather see purchasable FX consoles that add effects based on the slot. For example, a engine slot would change the color and engine trail of the Impulse Engines. A Warp Core slot would change the Nacelle color and Warp Engine trail. This way, effects could be added in color or theme and for shield and deflectors as well.

These items could be added to the Link Store, offered as event rewards, C-Store purchases, Dilithium purchases through Fleet Shipyards, or some other way. This would also make it easier to expand the color choices for some unique effects. Add colors like pink, orange, on top of the color options currently available that would change to specific themed types. Jem'Hadar colored options would be labeled as such, just like Romulan, Reman, Federation, Klingon, and so on. Non-canon colors and effects could be cheaper options. Can we please have these options for weapons and their unique effects as well?
  • carvin72carvin72 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Ok. So I must have missed this, but if I slot a set for visuals is it locked to that ship or can I still use that set on another ship?
    CRY HAVOC, AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    I guess, whatever. Could have spent the resources on actual content, like real exploration.
  • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    truewarper wrote: »
    I don't advertise what the ship has... why should I start now?

/facepalm

Post edited by huskerklg on
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I guess, whatever. Could have spent the resources on actual content, like real exploration.

If you check the poll here, most players in the forums plan to use this feature. Only around 10% say they won't:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1213537/ship-visuals-will-you-use-them-or-not/p1

• thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    And while I see that the majority of players apparently like this... It is not something I ever found myself wanting or needing. Is it so strange that I am perfectly fine using whatever skin my current set is giving me? I mean, I don't know, I guess cosmetics is just not that important to me as the damage I put out, which with me takes precedence over all else.

I agree. What's the point of making gear change the appearance of your ship if you can use that appearance no matter what gear you're using?

Sure, I was sad to give up the Breen set (for example) when it was time to move on to a better set, because of the appearance modifications provided by that set, but I gave them up and moved on. It would be better to sell skins in the same merchant that lets you modify your ship. As you progress, and level up, you could unlock new skins. I think set skins should only be for those sets. Sets that have no skins could be modified with purchased skins, but sets that come with their own skin should be unmodifiable. In fact, this could even be a good way to separate premium sets from regular sets.

But I don't want to seem like I am complaining. This is better than not being able to alter the appearance at all. It's just that it's more of a workaround than a solution.

• crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    To answer some questions:

You can leave a visuals slot blank. If you do so, the visuals of the item they would overwrite will still display, or will still not display if you have those visuals disabled. It is not necessary to buy gear twice to both use the gear and display the visuals.

If you like the visuals and the stats on the Breen shield, you can leave the Breen shield slotted and nothing should change. Similarly, if you like the stats on the Breen shield, but prefer to not display the visuals and have disabled them, nothing should change for you. This should only open up options that you did not have previously, without closing pre-existing ones.

Gear equipped in a visuals slot can be changed around the same way gear equipped in a slot where the item's stats apply can be. If you wish to use a specific item for its stats on one ship, and for appearance only on another, there is nothing in this new system to prevent you from doing so.

There is no part of this system that should require you to have multiple sets of the same gear on the same character.

• captainknight88captainknight88 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Great, wanted to be able to change nacelle and deflector colors and not change hull color / look or the reverse change hull color only.

Plus: Why not add solid colors for hull part(s) in the starship tailor not just patterns like virgo, leo, etc? example a all blue Starship or red, white and blue Starship, or Barbie pink for the girls, etc.

Side note: Uniforms for all factions need a standard/original colors and a choose non standard colors palette, with more shades, plus add orange, pink, and purple for all factions not just Romulan.
  • zeluthaszeluthas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I would have liked the new system more if instead of equipping the sets in the visual slots, the slots would have been a dropdown menu with all available gear so players could chose the visuals without equiping the gear. I have all the sets I own evenly spread among all of my ships. I don't like to tear them apart now and mix them up in new slots of other ships. I appreciate the idea, but I would have liked a tailor oriented choice like most people described here more than a second outfit slot.

It has been done with ground gear too. Kit-visuals and armor visuals have been moved to the tailor and set-looks have been made character unlocks. Why can't the same be done for ship sets?
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    I am all for visuals being separate from the gear being used, but this implementation only seems to push the grind further. If I want the Romulan shield aleffect on my ship but want the stats of something else. I essentially need to tie up two shields for a single build. Personally, I am not happy with that implementation.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
    edited March 2016
    I am all for visuals being separate from the gear being used, but this implementation only seems to push the grind further. If I want the Romulan shield aleffect on my ship but want the stats of something else. I essentially need to tie up two shields for a single build. Personally, I am not happy with that implementation.

Really? How else do you think it would work? This is a variation of the way ground works and just like ground if you want the look of Omega outfit but use the MACO set guess what, you have to own both. Sure the space stuff cost a little more but hey thats price we will have to pay to play starship barbie.

What would be helpful and welcome is doing something for the space like the ground has. Which is tailor slots for each ship so we can save looks and be able to change them from a base or on the fly just like ground outfits.
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User

If you check the poll here, most players in the forums plan to use this feature. Only around 10% say they won't:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1213537/ship-visuals-will-you-use-them-or-not/p1
    While I'm glad the poll indicates most people will use this feature, I'd also like to see resources focused on actual content, like exploration. I'm not trying to be negative, but there are aspects of this game that need some revitalization. To expand on this would be off topic. Just my 2 EC's.

I guess you could always sit there in your ship looking good while exploring the somewhat empty queues B)
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    I'd like MVAM and Saucer separation ships to match weapon types to the player controlled section of ship. The current setup iss particularly daft in MVAM. Flying in Alpha vector and firing an antiproton setup and watching your ships chuck out phasers and photons, annoys my personal OCD's enough... but then when you switch to another vector and watch your alpha vector firing weapons that weren't on it a minute ago, breaks the immersion too much.

Froma tactical point of view, I'm guessing there's probably an advantage as your pets probably don't benefit from console bonuses, so you effectively have 2 extra sources of a completely separate damage type.

I could also see why it might be unfair if you had unique weapons on a ship. I fly with the crystalline energy torpedo up front and it would be unfair if I had that on three "ships" in combat while others could only have one.

Therefore I would argue that if this were do-able at all, it could not be applied to unique weapons or rep weapons and that if you only had those fitted, it would fire default spec weapons.

However, top job on allowing cross visuals.!
    lan451 wrote: »
    Forget the skill revamp, THIS is the feature I'm loving the most. Season 11.5: Space Barbie Reloaded.

Space Barbie = ...Barbarella? XD

ankylon wrote: »
    So looking at a ship no longer give any information about their gears? Not sure if I like that but personally I still welcome this function. Now personal visual preference and functionality are no longer compromises in some cases.

Um, I've been playing since the 2009 closed beta and in game, looking at another players ship HAS NEVER shown info about what gear they have equipped on it (I wish it did, but it never has). What STO game have you been playing?

poster is referencing PVP tactics I think. I suspected the PVP elites might dislike this. If you don't disable your visuals in PVP, then by the very virtue of what your ship is displaying... your opponent knows what buffs and defenses your ship is specced for. and can alter load out before going into battle with you.

So for example if you saw someone with the assimilated set on their ship... and you had a plasma build, you would know that their shields would be equipped to reduce incoming damage from your ship energy weapons by 15%... and you might want to sneakily slot out your plasma weapons for something else (or if that isn't possible, then you leave that player to someone else and go after a different target).

If the visuals no longer relate to what your ship is designed to handle, then they lose that advantage.

I must admit a lot of that is conjecture (because I don't PVP, so am unsure whether or not you *can* change loadouts in an instance), but hopefully you can at least see where I think they are coming from.

I don't care personally because I think the customization idea has greater appeal (and actually it makes more sense for Cryptic/PWE to allow it, because if people want to mix and match their wardrobe, they need to grind to earn all the different visuals).

I ran a poll n this a long while ago on Google+ and most people were in favour, a significant minority were unsure and a smaller minority were against it.

• tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    An after thought, will the Visual slots be like inventory slots, meaning once they are loaded from either another ship, bank or inventory that frees up the slots they came from?
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif