test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ship visuals: will you use them or not?

risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9888133-star-trek-online:-new-visual-slots
http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1213536/new-visual-slots

New visual slots are coming soon, meaning you get extra slots that will utilise the visuals of the gear you place there, which can be different from the main gear you're using.

Looks like you must own this piece of gear before you can use its visual effects. Out of curiosity: will you be using this feature?

Ship visuals: will you use them or not? 203 votes

Yes
73%
nightkenlan451comrademococaptaintroikacoldnapalmpotencethe1str3dd4s2antonine3258aidy1972ukbernatkbjornfriedberginsduncanidaho11dragnockjep1416rifter1969alexraptorrkhamseenairnynikjodarkrider 149 votes
No
10%
yuki109shpoksmirrorchaosr5e4w3q2tenangsaksitruewarperdrakethewhitecirran1tunebreakercrusader2007sistericinnuwarriorliantheliajexsamxdaviesdaviesfarranorfilemonapyxispandorasupaj1m#6776unit750 22 votes
Maybe / Not sure yet
14%
jarfarudaboholiccaptainoblivousmustrumridcully0kyle223catcrashdragonvaloreahdocroguenikeiximruinedstofskvoyagerwaskingchiyoumikukekvintheraven2378grayfoxjameskhazloljkwrangler2010aurigas7johnnymo1 30 votes
Other
0%
dareaugawainviii 2 votes

Comments

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Yes
    I've been wanting to use the MACO Adapted shield on my Vesta for a while now. This is just what I needed :)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    No
    i dont see much point in visuals. playing swtor as well, they have visuals there as well, i dont use them either.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Yes
    Yes
    6tviTDx.png

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Yes
    Duh!

Space barbie is half the game for me!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Yes
    As they stand for 11.5, only a handful of my characters will use them, but now that the system is developed im hoping they can eventually expand it to include weapons.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • misterlozmisterloz Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes! I love the MACO shield effect but I prefer different sets so this will be the perfect compromise.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    risian4 wrote: »
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9888133-star-trek-online:-new-visual-slots
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1213536/new-visual-slots

New visual slots are coming soon, meaning you get extra slots that will utilise the visuals of the gear you place there, which can be different from the main gear you're using.

Looks like you must own this piece of gear before you can use its visual effects. Out of curiosity: will you be using this feature?

I think the whole season 11.5 is just a big waste of time. Who needs new skill revamp? who asked for it? Who needs these visuals? who asked for it?...and just one measly FE? come on. What happened to a new faction or a complete series of FEs, adventure or battle zones. I know they are a "design" team and not a "content" team. Still resources would have been better served to route to other areas in deadly need of upgrades...anyone seen Defera's glitches? or PvP (red head stepchild and past life support) or at least explorations or more content would have been nice.mouse-33.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Yes
    storules wrote: »
    Who needs new skill revamp? who asked for it? Who needs these visuals? who asked for it?...and just one measly FE? come on.

Should'a gone to Specsavers. Those sorts of threads have being popping up on the forums forever.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes. Being able to manage visuals is something I would use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    Currently I don't really have set visuals that I enjoy sufficiently. Dyson is cool if there is light source, but if there isn't, I hate it. So I usually default to not using any visuals at all. The new system might at least give me some more options to try out, though. I think it's definitely great.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Yes
    This sort of function has been asked for over the years.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Maybe, probably, I don't know. This is an odd poll question.

Right now I default to "disable visuals" as I enjoy the ships in their vanilla/canon appearance best. Only thing I modify, if possible, is to go for the type-6 black and white look as I really like that. My Nebula can't do that as no type-6 skins for her are available, so I maybe try the dyson visuals but that's about it.

However, that might change at some point in the future. Who knows.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes, yes and more yes. I've wanted this for years.

Jem'Hadar shields + Herald antiprotons? Woohoo! KDF Aegis + regular AP or Withering disruptors? Yay!

My space barbie life would be complete if they'd also add a "unify beam visuals" option.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    I'm glad it's coming because it's something a decent chunk of the population seems to want, but I prefer the 'clean' default visuals in almost all cases, so I likely won't be using it.
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    Yes
    My Breen carrier needs even more spiky bits so most definitely
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Yes
    Absolutely I will use them!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    valoreah wrote: »
    Meh, maybe. I don't see myself using it all that much, but I'm glad it will make some people happy.

I feel the same. And most of the gear ingame don't have visuals at all.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Yes
    Honestly I LOVE this idea!! It will give me a reason to grind my ALTs through the rep system to get the cool shields and engines that aren't the best but have great visuals. There is one engine that has an orangey look to the nacelles that I think looks awesome. Thing is, now I have to figure out which gear gives which visuals. Maybe someone could start a screenshot thread with the different sets and the visuals they have,,, or is one of those already around? Does STOWIKI have that sorta info on it?
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • conkav22conkav22 Member Posts: 8,146 Arc User
    Yes
    Ofc i will use them, Im even thinking of doing an assimilated themed Lib Borg character. All based around the assimilated set in the visual slot.
  • johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes, especially if the slots also function as storage.
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    No
    Seems I am the minority. Never cared much for the visuals
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Yes
    ...because the reputation sets frequently override the visuals selected in the shipyard, including faction/career colors. I may just keep a set of common components available, so the shipyard selections will have the maximum expression (assuming this is how it all works at the end of the day). :o
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes I will, on at least 1 ship, maybe more.

My Kara Fleet Warbird uses the Romulan shield, but I always loved the visuals of the Delta rep shield on Romulan ships for some reason. Gotta get my rep up first though :)
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Yes
    I definitely will. Dyson visuals on everything for me lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Other
    Reason for "other" vote?

Ship weapon visuals under "my" control? Heck yeah. Slapping weird colors or patterns all over my ship after I've taken time to choose the paintjobs in the tailor? Nah, not my cuppa tea...

Of course, all we get are the second option, not the first...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    No
    Unless I can use it as free inventory space, no. Visuals were basically abandoned long ago. I don't see the point of more flexible access to a feature that barely exists anymore.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Yes
    You missed an option for your poll... "H3ll Ya!!!"
  • dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Maybe / Not sure yet
    Voting Maybe. I'll have to take a look at what items my toons have available and whether they work with the ships I fly and how I play. For example, I love using the Assimilated Engine for traveling, but I prefer other engines for fighting and the visual is an easy way to remind myself to change engines before starting a mission. On the other hand, I've also grown fond of the fiery trails of the Sol Defense engine (I think that's the one) and wouldn't mind using that visual for ships running other sets. Short version: It's something I'll spend a few minutes playing with and ignoring if it turns out to be inconvenient.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes yes and more yes.
    I have often used gear I do not like the visuals for with the visuals turned off over lesser gear which I do like the visuals for.
    This allows me to use optimum gear with whatever visuals I choose. :)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".