test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Now that the Breach Event is over...

2»

Comments

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I swear I was hearing 'firing plasma lance in 3, 2...' in my sleep after a while, but I do like mirror invasion - it's got a little flexibility in how to accomplish goals, and I like that.

I can fully understand why people don't. I'm ready to move on a bit after any of the event queues (I don't look at CC for a couple months, generally, for instance)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Mirror Invasion is not universally hated. I like it, I think its a fun mission (long as I'm with a competent team of non-afkers).

It wasn't my intent to imply that every single player hates Mirror Event, I even said myself that I don't hate it either. The vast majority however, does not like the event, and my personal theory is that the primary reason for that is that they're just so sick of it after having to run it X times per day coupled with how long the event takes (much like The Breach.)

I actually liked the Mirror Event when it started, I thought it was fun. After a few days of playing it with all my alts I was just so sick of it that I never wanted to see it again. Mirror Invasion and the Breach are not bad missions in my opinion, I'm just so sick of them I could scream. They create these events and then ask players to run them so many times that everyone ends up hating it. Just seems like a bad approach to me. There is no qued event in STO that I want to run every 20 hours with every character I have for two weeks straight. I did Breach on 2 characters and could barely get through it. Next time they do this, I'll skip it entirely.. the repetition just takes the fun out of it for me.

Mirror Invasion is bad as a mission, but good as an event. An 11 minute wait and then blow up one ship to win, lame...but as long as you arrange something to do while you wait the event itself goes by quick and hassle-free even on multiple toons, just remember to check in every 11 minutes to kill the dreadnought and switch to the next toon.

And of course the Crystal event is a total park-and-shoot, always has been, and its getting ever faster to finish all the time.

The thing with the Breach is it's the first one of these repeat for X days events that doesn't translate to just a few minutes gameplay per day. It understandably gets tiring much faster.
  • eclipsoreclipsor Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Played through on 4 characters, not tired of the mission at all. Possibly because every bit of it feels different, and just by looking at where you are you feel the progress being made.

On the contrary, mirror invasion is like sitting in a gross, small cage, squashing bugs with a club, occasionally looking at the timer which, when reaches 0 opens the cage and lets you go. The mission plays out pretty much the same if you sweat your balls off closing rifts, or pass out on the keyboard to wake up 10 minutes later to pick your rewards up (for the record I have never afked this mission). Mind you "AFK runs" were a thing, where 5 players would get into private queue and all afk the first section. The mission plays itself and thats just bad.
    Strongly dislike what they did to The Breach, completely dumbing it down with gigantic arrows everywhere as if this game's targeting children now who are suddenly lost and rendered helpless unless on a tight leash pointing the way. Whatever happened to immersion, realism, options to roam about and attack different sections according to how the team decides to go.

It isn't enough restricting Space to 2.5D where I can't even point my ship down for my cannon arc to reach 'because terror of open space,' but now our starships have to effectively be on rail lines to avoid the absolute horror of disorientation and "I don't know what to do, this is frightening to me, and I can't be bothered to try or discover on my own."

I was disappointed to see this change as well. Means that in the future, when designing PvE queues, Cryptic wont go wild with them and probably produce something very linear. And yet people scream for exploration, where no man has gone before, yet they cant find themselves in repeateable enviroment... Bah, I just hope its actually two different groups of players, and we will see actual exploration at some point.

Come to think of it, Mine Trap was another PvE where people used to get lost. It was removed, much like the breach. Coincidence?

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I don't mind Mirror Invasion, then again I believe I skipped the event last year 'cuz I took a break between Risa Summer and Winter Wonderland Events. It was kinda fun trying to fly around and avoid combat to activate the power generators / close rifts. But I am sure I would grow tired of it trying to run it on 9 captains on a daily basis for 2 weeks.

I also like Crystalline Cataclysm. In fact, it would be nice if it permanently replaced Crystalline Catastrophe. Of course that would mean Cryptic would need to come up with a different Crystalline mission for the mini-event.

• saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I also like Crystalline Cataclysm. In fact, it would be nice if it permanently replaced Crystalline Catastrophe. Of course that would mean Cryptic would need to come up with a different Crystalline mission for the mini-event.

Better not - Cristaline Cataclysm is short, neat PVE. Who knows what monster of mission would replace it....
  • talasivaritalasivari Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Did "Breach" for four chars and found it fun. :) The reward marks are pretty generous.

I never had the chance to fly in the old version, so I can't compare it.

I hope they keep the PVE in the queues.
    Urtlolev of the Andorian Imperial Fleet
    saber1973a wrote: »
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Better not - Cristaline Cataclysm is short, neat PVE. Who knows what monster of mission would replace it....

How about instead of 10 players vs 1 Crystalline Entity it's flipped the other way around? 1 player vs 10 Crystalline Entities. :D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    eclipsor wrote: »
    Come to think of it, Mine Trap was another PvE where people used to get lost. It was removed, much like the breach. Coincidence?
    The issue with Mine trap is that it was scaled for a 20-man team, it just didn't scale down well, a team of 12 that was REALLY good could probably pull it off, but... TWELVE.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • hyloxhylox Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    call me crazy, but i will be sad to see it go... i love the fact that you get lots of marks for completing it each time [at least 120], second i love the level design even though it's clearly a SW ep4/6 death star sequence rip off, and the attention to detail is phenomenal. my only complaint is that the one voth ship is 10 levels higher than everybody which imho is a bit much... yeah it takes about 10 mins to complete but you get at least 120 marks each time you do it compared to some other missions that only give about 40 marks taking about 15 mins to finish and thats if you don't fail bonus objectives. I personally like the breach event and wish it could stick around
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The other night I did Breach on one of my Fed Science Characters. I was in a Narcine. One guy in chat lamented how was he so 'lucky' to be teamed with four Science Captains. One of the other Science Captains told him not to worry, it would be ok.

Well the Citadel went down in hardly a minute and a half. The entire run was the quickest one I have been in during the 45 or so runs during this Event.

Actually, it was a pretty good Queue overall but too long for a number of Alts. I kept it to three only.

Admiralty ships actually work out worse for Cryptic in the long run. A weapon Award gives them a source for EC, Dilithium, and such that may be spent on the Item Upgrade System.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    started the event running 10 characters through it.. will end on 3 characters. I used to really like the breach, always a fun run with a friendly group, but now.. dummed down to silly levels, and something I doubt I will ever run again, even if a truly great reward was on offer. the life sucking monotony of running the breach as an event mission has totally out monotonised anything previous.. even with a few days off I still feel.. leached!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
    ltminns wrote: »
    The other night I did Breach on one of my Fed Science Characters. I was in a Narcine. One guy in chat lamented how was he so 'lucky' to be teamed with four Science Captains. One of the other Science Captains told him not to worry, it would be ok.

Nothing compares to the time back in late 2014 when I queued up for Undine Infiltration Advanced. I was surrounded by fellow KDF captains. Now that's unheard of in a pug (at least for me). That was the only time that has ever happened. Usually I am surrounded by a bunch of wet behind the ear Feddy Bears. :D:D:D

Full Disclosure: I play all three factions.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I did a few breach runs with no feds, not often though. Well, not sure about the Romulans. At least one was 4 KDF, one Romulan.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    I did a few runs when some friends persuaded me to tag along. But I didn't finish the Event with any character.

The Mission is horrible -with the glitch that allowed you to skip the first part (which is Star Trek and is the most annoying part) it was less horrible, but still very annoying.

Mirror Invasion - was not a bad Event. Only Thing that I would Change: a fix max number of rifts. If they are closed, the first part is over - makes Shorter missions if you are in a good Team.
    Crystal Event - awesome. I still enjoy the Mission if there's no Event on. Also down to better rewards if rank 1-3.
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I got utterly sick of it. I did it with all my KDF and Romulan alts (abandoned it on my Feds). It's my own fault for even attempting it and I won't be making that mistake again. I'm not doing any of these "events" any more unless they're made more alt friendly like the winter/summer event.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I have 5 characters, a lot of people have way more then that. There was just no way I was going to run this event 70 times in 2-3 weeks. Just the thought of it makes me want to scream.

If you're in the boat with the OP and have problems completing the event due to technical issues then the frustration is magnified exponentially. It was bad enough without crashes, I can't even imagine having to suffer through disconnects as well.

OMG, I never did the math, I have 5 and Im still running it every night on each of them, and 2x on each on the weekends. Still I take the dil and the marks to the bank. I can say I never had a disconnect, not once.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    eclipsor wrote: »
    Played through on 4 characters, not tired of the mission at all. Possibly because every bit of it feels different, and just by looking at where you are you feel the progress being made.

I agree, I have played it on 6 characters though on a few days only 3 due to lack of time.
    finished the main project and some bonus runs on all 6 of them though.
    see the number of players drop off dramatically after the 14th day had passed but still enough people playing so you don't have to wait very long to start thankfully.
    I would vote for this over mirror without question, you dont feel overwhelmed by enemy if you are in a bad team and there is no waiting around for a silly timer if you are on a good team, its much better all around really.

sure there have been a few times too many players have dropped out for whatever reason but most times we have been able to finish anyway and I only had to bail myself twice as could not finish solo.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.