test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arc Quest: silly or funny?

Today i've logged in hoping in this:

Cattura.png

I've to say that for reward this is epic, but when i've see it ... LOL
Someone experienced that before (or something similar)?

Comments

• Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    PSA: "Connect to Arc for 10/6/4 separate days"
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    this is obviously to encourage players to use arc and to play as many game PW games as possible but at the end of the day players only use arc if they want to use are and will only play the games they want to play.
    if players want to use arc they are in all likelihood using it already and they are already playing the games they want to play, offering the rewards from this system is not going to make players use arc if they don't want to and will certainly not make them play any games they don't want to play.

take myself as a prime example sure I use arc, I have used arc for a long time and have no issues with using it so I will go on using it as long as there is a game they have to offer that I like to play.
    I play star trek online, star trek online is the only arc game I play, I have no interest in playing any of the other arc games, as long as star trek online is there I will continue to use arc to play it and when star trek online is no longer available I will no longer use arc.

if I benefit from these arc rewards in a small way while I play star trek online then that is a bonus but it will not change my playing habits and I cant see it changing any other players habits to any great extent either.

player will only play when they can play and if they choose to chase these arc rewards PW will not benefit as they are only pulling these players away from the PW game they were going to play on to the PW game they have been encouraged to play to get these arc rewards.
    if players have money to spend on PW games they will only spend what they were intending to spend anyway having more games to spend it on will not alter the amount they were intending to spend and it is very unlikely to alter the game they were intending to spend it on.

for these reasons I cannot see PW benefiting in any great way from the introduction of this new feature.

is arc quest silly or funny? I guess that depends on how you view it, to me it is just a very small bonus for doing what I was going to do anyway so not silly or funny just there.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    "weaksauce" as some might say
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It's a login bonus. It's neither silly nor funny, just a free reward for doing nothing.
    offering the rewards from this system is not going to make players use arc if they don't want to and will certainly not make them play any games they don't want to play.
    I started using Arc regularly when this system was added. All things being equal, it does provide the incentive to click on the "Arc" icon on my desktop instead of the "Star Trek Online" icon, even if it takes a bit longer to load the game that way.

I have also considered installing some other games just to pick up the login bonuses, but unfortunately the quest doesn't provide a link to the game it wants me to play and I don't really care enough to go searching for them.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I haven't used Arc in a while but if free swag can be gotten I may reconsider. Only games I have on Arc are STO, torchlight (I highly recommend it, been playing since before it was an "arc" game and I think I got it for free), and that other space sim I can't remember the name of now.
  • Options
    murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    I still use steam because of other games I played but I rather have no steam nor arc, it's a useless program sitting on background eating your ram for doing exactly nothing else while you play. I rather log in straight on the game and ditch any unnecessary loader.
    IInLzhi.gif
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    I haven't used Arc in a while but if free swag can be gotten I may reconsider. Only games I have on Arc are STO, torchlight (I highly recommend it, been playing since before it was an "arc" game and I think I got it for free), and that other space sim I can't remember the name of now.

I hate to be a shill, but I recommend it, if you have the free space on your hard drive. Once you've installed the games it tasks you with 'playing' (just loading the launcher counts for Arc quests), the quests can usually be incremented within a minute or two, and I've nearly gotten enough Arc points to get 500 Zen. Not a mountain by any means, but trading a minute or two each morning for a free respec or (effective) discount on a new ship sounds good to me.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    What is funny about the "play other games" part is you do not have to actually play them, just load their launcher through ARC and you get the credit, don't even have to let it patch.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    The sauce is weak with this one. But the midichlorians are rich.

...Lets make some kind of soup.

campbells-chicken-noodle-soup-o.gif
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Yeah, I've got a whole bunch of those. And if Arc opens in background on startup, you don't even have to do anything. Though with the games you only have to open the launcher and it counts as played.

I guess a lot of people will just play the system or laugh at it, but if it prompts people to get onto Arc and look at games they normally wouldn't try, a small percent will turn into regular players and hence the system will justify itself.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    warpangel wrote: »
    It's a login bonus. It's neither silly nor funny, just a free reward for doing nothing.
    offering the rewards from this system is not going to make players use arc if they don't want to and will certainly not make them play any games they don't want to play.
    I started using Arc regularly when this system was added. All things being equal, it does provide the incentive to click on the "Arc" icon on my desktop instead of the "Star Trek Online" icon, even if it takes a bit longer to load the game that way.

I have also considered installing some other games just to pick up the login bonuses, but unfortunately the quest doesn't provide a link to the game it wants me to play and I don't really care enough to go searching for them.

I did say this will not make them use arc or play the games if they don't want to, perhaps you were never bothered one way or the other but many players are fiercely opposed to arc and nothing will make you play a game you just don't want to play.
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    What is funny about the "play other games" part is you do not have to actually play them, just load their launcher through ARC and you get the credit, don't even have to let it patch.​​

there is still some stuff you need to put on your hard drive even if its only the launcher for games you are basically never going to play and I just don't see the point in that even for free zen.
    Yeah, I've got a whole bunch of those. And if Arc opens in background on startup, you don't even have to do anything. Though with the games you only have to open the launcher and it counts as played.

I guess a lot of people will just play the system or laugh at it, but if it prompts people to get onto Arc and look at games they normally wouldn't try, a small percent will turn into regular players and hence the system will justify itself.

I guess that's true enough for some but not for me and not for many I suspect.

• Options
    themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    It got me to have another look at Champions after a looong absence, so I guess on that this has succeeded. For me, I am close to some free zen for very little effort.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Well, you aren't rewarded for "doing nothing". If you want to complete game specific quests you need to download and install them. I've done that for most games, 1-by-1 as quests for them came up. It's a rather time consuming task as some games can take a couple hours or so to download and install. They also take up a lot of hard drive space the more games you install. But I have a 1 TB sized HD with hundreds of GBs of free space still.

To find the games to download: click 'Games' on the left side of ARC and you will see a search box on the right (you may need to scroll down a little bit). Or you can just scroll all the way to the bottom and click the 'View All' button to get the full list of games. Scroll down to the bottom to click the next page button until you find the game you want. Hover over the small image of the game in the list and click the 'Learn More' button. This will take you to the game page where you can click the big 'Play for free' button at the top and it will bring up the window to install the game.

I've been working on it every day and so far I have 3k Arc Points. From the looks of things I was pretty accurate: keeping up on the quests you can get about 500 free Zen a month. So it will take around 6 months, give or take, to get enough free Zen for a single T6 ship - 18 months (1 and a half years) or so to get enough for a 9 ship bundle. :#
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    well as I am only gaining from the log into arc on x different days and any star trek online quests that come up (so far only 1) it will be a long time before I have enough to buy even 1 T6 ship.
    might be different if you were able to discard more then 1 unwanted quest a day.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    well as I am only gaining from the log into arc on x different days and any star trek online quests that come up (so far only 1) it will be a long time before I have enough to buy even 1 T6 ship.
    might be different if you were able to discard more then 1 unwanted quest a day.

Yeah. I've also had only 1 Arc Quest for STO come up and I think it was a 7 day quest. I got it very early on when the system went live. It seems to push other PWE games more. Perhaps it gives quests based on what games you play the least? It's possible STO isn't coming up any more because you play it often.

I did try out that Forsaken World PWE game and found I like it. I've been playing that every day for 2+ weeks and haven't seen an Arc Quest for it in a while. I did get a quest a few times early on, but after playing for a while I get the quest far less often.

I believe the whole point of this Arc Quest reward system was to get people to play other PWE games. Having quests come up mostly for games you never play, or play very little, would make sense.

Edit: When I say "play" I mean, actually launching the game and spending time in it. I still get Arc Quests for games I bring up the launcher for to complete Arc quests without ever having actually launched the games and creating characters in them. For example, I get an Arc Quest for 'Battle of the Immortals' often, even though I never fully launched the game to get to the character creation screen. My theory is, if I actually created a character and spent time in the game the Arc Quests for that game would become rare.
  • Options
    And there goes the RNG conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I believe the whole point of this Arc Quest reward system was to get people to play other PWE games. Having quests come up mostly for games you never play, or play very little, would make sense.

you are probably correct but this wont work for me, sto is the only game I have any interest in playing, none of the other arc offerings hold any interest for me.

I have looked at the gameplay videos on youtube for all of these games and they are just not for me.

not really relevant to arc but I have looked at most other current MMO's and even tried a few that looked promising but they all failed to hold my interest, I just end up thinking why am I wasting my time with this trash when I could be playing sto.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Ooh! I finally got a Arc Quest to play STO for 2 days. Yay!

And this game:
    Screenshot%2071_zps03ymioof.png~original
    prime%20world%20offline_zpst3tswpfy.jpg~original

Ummm.........OK.
    I still got credit for the Arc Quest.

The game has the words "moba", "PvP", and "strategy" in the description. Not something I'm interesting in trying anyway.

I just thought it was funny 'cause I got the Arc Quest for the game today and the launcher says it's offline. How am I suppose to play it? I think it's both funny and silly at the same time. :D
  • Options
    reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I think it would be better if the games I do play would show up on the list. I don't really want to download more games.
  • Options
    I just thought it was funny 'cause I got the Arc Quest for the game today and the launcher says it's offline. How am I suppose to play it? I think it's both funny and silly at the same time. :D

I've had Arc Quest to play a game that's "not available in your region." The quests don't appear to have any filtering for appropriate games. Just have to dismiss those.