test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Strategist Specialization

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Season 11.5 gives Captains access to our new Strategist Secondary Specialization. Skilled Strategists are masters of planning military action, issuing orders to anticipate and match the ever-changing flow of battle.

Learn more about the specialization that will be coming in Season 11.5!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Comments

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Right up my street, winning a battle is not just about brute force but more on the tactics and strategy
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      Looks good overall, I am concerned that:
      Show of Force

Threatening Stance On: Increase Incoming Healing by 10%.
      Threatening Stance Off:
      Gain 2% Critical Hit Severity for each foe you hit with energy weapons. This stacks up to 5 times.

Seems to buff BFAW, the arguably most OP ability in the game
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
      Can we have a "ground" based tree? Space is too overated in this MMO bear-41.gif​​
      tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
      So every time we swap between ground and space we need to change the secondary specialization if we use the ground one. Can we automate that process?
    • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
      Right up my street, winning a battle is not just about brute force but more on the tactics and strategy

I see nothing there but brute force, no matter what the name they've placed on it.

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
      Show of Force

Threatening Stance Off:
      Gain 2% Critical Hit Severity for each foe you hit with energy weapons. This stacks up to 5 times.

Going to reserve judgment until I see the full tree but I really hope there is something for projectiles in there.
    • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
      edited March 2016
      sophlogimo wrote: »
      I guess there will also be new ships with Strategist boff seats?

secondary trees don't generally have abilities they could expand later though.

That 1% bridge officer reduction is a joke though.. you can't really chain healing to your self more then like 4 or 5 abilities.. Hopefully it goes up to 3% or something... But even if your getting healed by others there is a global cap to abilities...
    • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
      Nice, will have this all unlocked day one thanks to saved up points! :D
      Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
      Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
      What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
      3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
      I'm happy to have more points unlocked even if I never use this specialization :)
      Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
      So this is basically equivalent to the other secondary specialization for Commando?

I could see this being useful for people who see a tactical use for controlling threat. Command/Strategist could be a very powerful combo in group play and take tanking to a whole new level.

But people like me who generally play PvE solo won't see much use for it. I was hoping for something more science-y. Might have to experiment with this on my cruiser-flying Engineers, though.
      (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
    • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
      storules wrote: »
      Can we have a "ground" based tree? Space is too overated in this MMO bear-41.gif

Well, it's not called Star Trek for no reason...​​
      Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
      Interesting.

I've always used Pilot as my space secondary since its release, but depending on how this one turns out I might have something new to play with. Looking forward to more details.
      JWZrsUV.jpg
      Mine Trap Supporter
    • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
      Brace yourselves, more unnecessary placates incoming.
    • nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
      Here's an idea: fix existing content instead of piling more on top of broken stuff?
    • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
      edited March 2016
      sophlogimo wrote: »
      I guess there will also be new ships with Strategist boff seats?

secondary trees don't generally have abilities they could expand later though.
      [SNIP]

We do have a precedent for that with the Pilot tree :3
      We'll see how it turns out :wink:
      "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
      -
      "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
    • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
      Who thought it was a good idea to lock an entire spec tree behind an ability whose use could require a respec token?
    • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
      "Strategy" would be the type of ship(s) deployed in battle, and their loadouts; this specialization should more appropriately be named "Tactician", since how assets are used during a battle are affected by these attributes.

As an example: in the TOS episode where Enterprise has to meet a new Romulan threat along the neutral zone, Kirk has to consider the strategic implications of an unanswered attack on Federation outposts. When he decides to counter the treat directly, his tactical situation turns into a game of cat-and-mouse, where each captain uses all their experience & training to outwit the other.
      Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
      Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
      Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
      Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
      STO player since November 2013
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      cidstorm wrote: »
      Who thought it was a good idea to lock an entire spec tree behind an ability whose use could require a respec token?

If you talk about "Threatening stance", you don't have to respec. It's an innate ability everyone has and it replaces "Abandon ship".​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
      Hmmm sounds gr8. T6 sov commin with it maybe?
    • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
      angrytarg wrote: »

If you talk about "Threatening stance", you don't have to respec. It's an innate ability everyone has and it replaces "Abandon ship".​​

Good to know.
    • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
      edited March 2016
      So, is there some way to respec specialization points to allow us to USE this?

There is no point to introducing respec for specializations. Given enough time, you can unlock every node on every spec tree.
      "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
      -
      "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
    • crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
      edited March 2016
      So, to clear up some folk's questions:

A ) Strategist is a Secondary Specialization. There's no new Bridge Officer abilities or Kit Modules.
      B ) Threatening Stance (something which determines many of the effects of the Strategist effects) is a new Captain ability being added with Season 11.5, which takes the place of Abandon Ship. All Captains have access to it.
    • e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
      Big naming confusion. Strategist/Command/Commando. Not a big PROBLEM, but there's that.
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      edited March 2016

It doesn't. Threatening Stance replaces Abandon Ship. Everyone has it once specialization become available to them.

The only thing you can do with skill points is increase/reduce the threat generation further if you pick a particular unlock.
      e1im wrote: »
      Big naming confusion. Strategist/Command/Commando. Not a big PROBLEM, but there's that.
      Intelligence suggested to Command that only a bad Strategist would go Commando.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
      edited March 2016
      Knowing my preferred playstyle, I'll be running TS permanently with this spec as my secondary..as for the primary, I'll have to decide whether or not I want Command or Pilot (since I'm currently running both Pilot and Command).

Naturally, I'll have put just enough points into Tactical to unlock Threat Generation.
      MXeSfqV.jpg
    • nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
      Show of Force

Threatening Stance Off:

FAW is not overpowered. It is as powerful as the players skills and equipment. I have seen plenty of parser's where FAW III was being used by people, and they still only reach 8k DPS.

The only overpowered stuff in the game was involved in the science abilities. Thankfully, that is being changed. Wait...I don't PVP so I could care less how OP Science and FAW are! The ONLY people complaining about how powerful BFAW is are PVP players, and they are a very small minority in this game. This game is not going to be balanced around those people. Why would anyone that cares only for PVE (which is what this game is about), cry nerf on abilities that would help their team blow stuff up in space and complete the mission??

Get over it. BFAW is not going to change because you got blown up in a pvp match by it.
      1Wlp6QH.gif
    • p4hajujup4hajuju Member Posts: 214 Arc User
      Could you not start the BFAW -stuff here.
      At least I'd like to see some people talk about the actual Specialization. Pretty please.
      (NERF EVERYTHING)

Well this seems not very interesting, but it's nice to have a new Specialization tree.
      So no 30 point Commando tree coming our way?
      Galavant!
      "Use Temporal Skills to NERF EVERYTHING before it happened!" -Unknown source.
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      Show of Force

Threatening Stance Off:

FAW is not overpowered. It is as powerful as the players skills and equipment. I have seen plenty of parser's where FAW III was being used by people, and they still only reach 8k DPS.

The only overpowered stuff in the game was involved in the science abilities. Thankfully, that is being changed. Wait...I don't PVP so I could care less how OP Science and FAW are! The ONLY people complaining about how powerful BFAW is are PVP players, and they are a very small minority in this game. This game is not going to be balanced around those people. Why would anyone that cares only for PVE (which is what this game is about), cry nerf on abilities that would help their team blow stuff up in space and complete the mission??

Get over it. BFAW is not going to change because you got blown up in a pvp match by it.

... I don't PVP in any MMO I play so ...

I do however have a few cannon builds, and you can't deny that BFAW is far more effective than its cannon counter part, CSV
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png