test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 207: "Happy as Larry"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 207: "Happy as Larry" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:

Tribbles207.png

The Tribbles in Ecstasy crew are joined by Star Trek author, actor, editor, archivist, consultant, and producer, Larry Nemecek who's involved in many projects that include Portal 47, TrekLand, Enterprise in Space and many, many more!

We discuss this week's news from the world of Star Trek, Star Trek Unofficial Productions plus Star Trek Online and Star Trek Timelines gaming news and events.

The topics discussed this week are:
  • The new Star Trek TV Series coming in 2017,
  • Antaeus Theatre Company,
  • Star Trek TNG: The Worf Chronicles,
  • Star Trek Online news and events,
  • Star Trek Renegades,
  • Star Trek Anthology,
  • Star Trek Axanar,
  • Star Trek Timelines,
  • and more!

Our community questions this week are:
1) Have you checked out the videos for the Antaeus Theatre Company kickstarter?
2) Do you like the new version of Star Trek Online's 'Into the Breach'?

Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say.

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

LLAP \\//_

Comments

• Options
    dwwolfedwwolfe Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I apologize for not being there for the show. Internet issues kept me from being able to even get online but I do plan on being around for the next show, as long as my isp does not fall flat on its face again.
    Too many characters to list but still adding more.......The addiction to this game is real
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    I, for one, love the new Breach. Even though it can be frustrating at times, it's a great way to quickly level up your ships. Before this event I had barely touched my T6 Romulan Heavy Destroyer so it was still at zero. After the first time I used it on The Breach, it had already hit Tier II and is a third of the way to Tier III. At that rate it'll be maxed out at some point during its third Breach run.
  • Options
    alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Hello Tribbles.

Uhm. Community questions:
    Let's be brief, I watched a few of those Antaeus videos and I didn't really get into it. It sounds like a neat idea, but somehow I didn't "feel" it.

The breach: Haven't played it yet.

But fear not, I got things to say...

RP blog "The aftermath":

You know how I like the execution of these, but have issues with the content?
    I got to this line:
    “One of the more peaceful and secured moments in our history was more or less blown up, Ben,” Nereda said. “There is a lot to be bothered by.”

And that's when I lost it. Is this supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek joke? Should I be laughing? Should I be sad because the writer obviously didn't bother to play Time and Tide? Because, when you played that episode and remember that there was one (in numbers: 1) security officer in the room trying to evacuate the... let's call them dignitaries... No transport inhibitors, no energy weapon inhibitors, nothing. Yeah, that's definitely "secure"...
    [insert five minutes of yelling and shouting at Cryptic including various profanities followed by another five minutes of gentle weeping noises]

And if any Cryptic/PW employee should actually be reading/listening... no, your constant "Remember Midnight? Just wait where we're going with this, you'll love it!" does not work. Why? Well, Midnight was a really good (albeit flawed, but you like to forget that part, don't you?) episode, but it did NOTHING to fix the Iconian War story arc. One episode does not make a good story arc. A good story arc makes a good story arc!

It's rather obvious that Cryptic got drunk on all the praise they received for Midnight and now they just repeat that same structure. So, I guess praise is bad for Cryptic since they can't deal with it...

"The stories that never were":
    Now to something I promised a while ago but couldn't get to because of all the interviews... (Btw. if you like any of the following ideas, feel free to take notes and suggest them to Cryptic if you ever get anyone for an interview.)

What kinds of stories/story arcs would I like to see?

Give us (faction-agnostic of course...) stories/story arcs that deal with the inner workings of some of the factions.
    I mean, the Iconian War and the (supposed...) devastation it caused could have been a great hook to let us "explore" how the different factions recover. We could have visited the Gorn, Orion, Nausicaan and Lethean "homeworlds". Are there still Gorn seperatists? We could have used diplomacy (or sheer force) to deal with those... You see where I'm going here?

We could have visited New Romulus. Helped them rebuild. Seen some progress in the Reman part of "town". Is that ever gonna be a thing? I mean, will we ever be able to beam down to New Romulus and visit the Reman... catacombs or whatever they are building down there?

And we could have gone to some federation worlds. I mean, how is Captain Shon holding up? You could have given him some character development. Maybe send us to visit the different members of his crew during their shore leaves on their respective homeworlds for some reason. And he's not the only one who could need some character development... What about D'Tan? A'dranna? (just make her less stupid, okay?) Obisek? Ramir? B'Eler? (I don't care about Trevana...)
    You get paid to write/tell stories, not me. I'm not gonna do your work for you!

And something near and dear to me... What about Lt. Cmdr. VanZyl? You remember what happened to her in "Uneasy Allies"? I want a sequel to that episode.
    What was that experience like? How does she deal with it? That could/maybe even should trigger some sort of PTSD. Maybe even a full-blown depression. You could have told a rather heavy (but also important) story there.
    And like I said time and again, you got Laura Bailey to voice her. Even the guys at Bioware Austin (who made a lot of questionable decisions...) know better than to hire her for... a glorified cameo. Which is basically what you did.

Write a good story, give your voice actors something to work with. I want to see or rather hear them using their acting muscles.
    That could be glorious! That would be Star Trek, that would be good story telling!
    That would be kind of "re-exploring" the universe and the "human" condition.

Instead you give me easy victims. That needs to stop. I want, no, I expect better stories. Not every story can be a Midnight (and remember: even that episode was not flawless), but I expect at least a Sunrise out of you. Instead you keep giving me House Pegh and Broken Circle over and over again.