test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hangar Pet Experience

Cryptic, why oh why can I not dock my pets after battle?

The number of times my pets have got up to three or four stars and I have to leave them is crazy.

Why not just change the dock to a proper dock where I can take them with me. It can't be that hard and would give me a reason to try and defend them.

Comments

• Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    have you tried to use the recall command? (4th button in the hanger ui), after a few seconds, it will let your pets dock and repair, and they dont lose their xp.
  • Options
    glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Not the problem. I am saying I can't keep them between missions.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, the Dock command doesn't work well.. it never has.

I wish they would change the system so that when you hit 'dock' it just warped the pets into your carrier. This would also fix the 'full impulse' problem with frigates because you could actually carry your ships to the next fight like you're supposed to be able to do.

I think a big part of the problem is the fact that your pets seem to fly around trying to get in just the right spot to dock. I wish they would just remove the animation and have it just port your pets inside the ship. No, it's not as 'realistic' but the 'realistic' way clearly doesn't work.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    No one can, its by design. considering how much extra info they would have to store on the servers to keep track of every hanger pets experience, only resetting them on destruction. of course, they could go back to the old way, no experience, but the pets would be overall weaker.
  • Options
    tenkari

Sorry matey but you are wrong. They already have the code to track pets at a tactical level, moving that to the strategic would be trivial. The storage space would be minute, very few people use pets and we all know why. All I am suggesting is a small change that may make them more attractive.

As stands, I launch my pets at the star of each engagement. For two reasons, a) they are expendable and b) they can get experience for the rest of the fight. Given the chance, I dock them often. What would be the problem with making it a hard dock, eg they go back to the flight deck. After the cool down they can relaunch.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    tenkari wrote: »
    No one can, its by design. considering how much extra info they would have to store on the servers to keep track of every hanger pets experience, only resetting them on destruction. of course, they could go back to the old way, no experience, but the pets would be overall weaker.

By extra info you mean barely a line of text-worth of info indicating stars & occupancy per pet ID? Servers cannot handle that? Computers weren't invented yesterday. Also, the game already carries over multiple character and ship buffs with their own character-bound timers, no reason whatsoever what the OP suggests can't be implemented. What you are proposing is nerfing an already globally nerfed pet/separation unit and destroying any point of pet gameplay for an invalid reason. I highly doubt it is at all comparable to the Dry Docking feature to reduce info stored on servers since there's many more values to keep track of which likely includes stats based on gear interactions per ship whose final result is a new C-Store item (dry dock space) - point being, neither you or I know this with certainty, so I speak with likelihood of something being true, while you assume it is so and proceed to explain why "it can't be" without any supporting evidence whatsoever.

Hangar memory would also make things fair in comparison to other ships. Buffing a ship that has no pets whatsoever takes few seconds when bound by macro. Releasing, nevermind star-leveling pets takes much longer.

Of course this would introduce the bit of hassle of having to enter some easy level, level pets fully, dock, then enter the actual mission if you're parsing or want to be fully ready, but this is not much different than going to a starbase to purchase temporary buffs, or crafting/buying/collecting batteries, or doffing for crits for buffs, and it isn't essential anyways.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Yeah I love my vastams scorpion fighters, they add so wonderfully to its symphony of hyper plasma torpedoes.
    But it really gets on my nerves that they will not dock or follow me from one engagement to the next..... on the same map! >.<
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    What if the pets could be "Mastered" as ships are ? Then you'd always have a fully buffed pet.
    Problem solved. Yw
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    Yeah, the Dock command doesn't work well.. it never has.

I wish they would change the system so that when you hit 'dock' it just warped the pets into your carrier. This would also fix the 'full impulse' problem with frigates because you could actually carry your ships to the next fight like you're supposed to be able to do.

I think a big part of the problem is the fact that your pets seem to fly around trying to get in just the right spot to dock. I wish they would just remove the animation and have it just port your pets inside the ship. No, it's not as 'realistic' but the 'realistic' way clearly doesn't work.

I'm finding it to be worse after the last patch. Before the last patch I could just wait and they would dock, now they don't. I have gotten my frigates to follow with recall but they nothing is docking for me .
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I can't see a difference in docking myself. It never worked before, and it doesn't work now.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    Darkhorse

I have noticed the problem with docking very recently. My usual tactic is to launch the pets but recall them. That way I just switch to attack and the whole group charge in. Has not been working over the last few days.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    This is unforturate.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    as you have an endless supply does it really matter that much?, I suppose if your in to role play it could make a difference but I just think of them as worthless drones so there is nothing lost in leaving them behind.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    as you have an endless supply does it really matter that much?, I suppose if your in to role play it could make a difference but I just think of them as worthless drones so there is nothing lost in leaving them behind.

If you leave them behind you have to either wait for them to catch up or get far away enough for them to despawn. Until then, you've got no fighters when you need them.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Or plan B when combat ends unequipt themand relaunch them when you enter combat again.

Its a bandaid solution I admit, but it will do for now.