test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

tier 6 ships/free to play

kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
Hi all. I just got my first character up to level 50. Yay! I had done my homework, and I knew ahead of time that I wouldn't be unlocking a free ship at this tier. So, how do you get a tier 6 ship? Here's what I found. You can buy one with zen, get a fleet ship, buy one off the exchange, find one in a lock box (or similar promotion), get one with lobi crystals, or get one from an event. Did I miss anything?
Now, you're going to think I am Daemon Ebenezer, but let's look at the methods of getting tier 6 ships from a free to play perspective. You can't just buy one with zen, because it costs cash. Thus, it's not free. You can trade dil for zen, but this nets you about 25 zen per day, if you are getting maximum dil (8,000) per day, which I have yet to do. (Yes, I am a noob.) Fleet ships require modules which cost zen, again, zen = cash = not free. You can't buy one off the exchange, because a free player can only have up to 10 million EC, and no one is selling anything tier 6 for anything close to that. Finding one in a lock box is like winning the lottery. You have a 2% chance. Even then, the keys cost zen, thus cash and not free. Tier 6 lobi ships cost about 900 lobi. Lobi can be found in lock boxes (see previous statement), or from special events. Even then, those events give tiny amounts of lobi, and the events are rare. So, lobi ships are out for the free player. The most realistic way for a free player to get a free ship is to get one from an event. But the next one is about three months away. I just started playing this game while the latest event was under way. While you were all getting your free ships, I was figuring out which button to hit.
So, now that I've made myself look like a stingy, ungrateful complainer, (this is an awesome free game, and I'm glad I get to play it) how do I get a tier 6 ship for my tier 6 character? I can wait three months and get one from the next event, or I can farm dil with an underpowered ship. Any help here would be awesome. I would be disappointed if this game were free to play, pay to win. I know a free player shouldn't expect to be able to get the best ship, but something usable would be cool.

Comments

• kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    One more thing. If I spend all of my dil on zen, won't that cause me problems in other ways?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    You don't "need" a T6 ship for the PVE story content. Also, you can buy lock box keys for 4 - 5 million EC so F2P players can open lock boxes for lobi and that small chance for a ship.

Otherwise, yes if you pay nothing to support the game then you will have to wait until the Summer event to get your first free T6 ship.
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Without any question, the leading edge of this game isn't easily F2P. Having said, that, you don't really NEED leading edge.
    T-5U ships are more than capable of handling every piece of PvE content produced so far. Heck, I have many T6 ships, and some of my favorite toys are still T-5U.
    Additionally, I would mention that while the Fleet Ship Modules are Zen items, they're reasonably achievable on the Exchange. So you could certainly buy FSMs on the Exchange and pick up a T6 Fleet ship if that's what you wanted. You're missing out on a Ship Trait, there, of course. But you get the Fleet level T6 ship at least.
    Whatever path you choose, good luck and have fun, sir!
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    You pretty much figured out all the ways. Those ways boil down to buying one with real money or earning it in game somehow.
    You can earn zen in game slowly, or energy credits (fairly rapidly). I earned a t6 balthim raider in a little over a month of farming.

You don't need a t6 but certain ones are significantly better than most t5U or t5 options.

I would offer the energy credits approch to get a lockbox ship is probably fastest. It might take a while to earn the 300 or so million needed, but its an obtainable goal. Ive earned a number of ships this way ovear the years.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    For the EC ship or fleet module the OP does need to earn enough zen to buy the EC cap unlock though, since he wants to spend NO real-world money, ever. But earning the unlock will be faster than earning zen for a ship.

And if you really want to pay in zero cash for keeping the game alive, it's OK for you to have to wait and grind a bit.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    The best way to earn t6 ships is through the zen/dil exchange. The best way to earn dil is through alts. Now you could become a total alt-oholic but even with 2 characters you double the amount of dil you can earn easily. When you login and do the admiralty missions and doff assignments you can get a couple thousand dil very quickly. Of course, you aren't getting to the max this way, but playing your main you do get rewarded for playing content. That quick dil on the alt adds up and doesn't really impact your total playtime, unless you become an alt-oholic. That can cut down the time needed to get enough dil for a t6 ship and can add flavor to your time in STO if you actually play the alt from time to time. I suggest a KDF or KDF aligned romulan for fun and profit. KDF captains get some nice marauding Doff assignments that reward contraband. This is a very nice bonus per day on top of the usual doff dil rewards plus KDF is a very fun faction.
    For the EC ship or fleet module the OP does need to earn enough zen to buy the EC cap unlock though, since he wants to spend NO real-world money, ever. But earning the unlock will be faster than earning zen for a ship.

And if you really want to pay in zero cash for keeping the game alive, it's OK for you to have to wait and grind a bit.

he's got the right approach here. Earn enough for the EC cap increase. That way as you earn dil and EC from Doff/admiralty and from regular play you have another avenue for getting a ship. Also, remember that you can turn dil into EC by buying keys with zen and selling them. EC to zen is a bit harder and slower (buying contraband and turning it in for dil).

As stayed by others, you don't need a t6 ship and there are plenty of t5 ships out there. some of them (lockbox from the exchange) get a free t5-u upgrade.

Also, do the rep projects. All the reps reward a chunk of dil for finishing and once done funnel the extra marks into the projects that convert for dil. The thing here, if you are farming for dil, is each mark type gives a daily bonus of 55 marks. This is a per rep mark thing. As well as elite marks (Borg neural procs, and such from advanced and elite content) can be turned in for dil. This alone can add thousands of dil per week.

Don't feel bad about being f2p. F2p guys are good for the game. Pay players want dil without time invested, F2p trade time for the very resource that is being paid for. It is a give and take type of system they have and it is reliant on both types of players. Hopefully this helps keep your f2p experience free and fun.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I am not in a fleet, but I can tell you that in addition to the 5 Fleet Ship Modules, you will need 20k Fleet Credits (FC) to buy a T6 fleet ship. FC can be gained by contributing to fleet projects. Of course you need to make sure the fleet you join has the a high enough tier ship yard to allow you to purchase the fleet ship you want.

Regarding FSMs, they seem to be pretty expensive. At the time of this post, the least expensive one costs 13.5m ECs. You will need to purchase the EC Cap remover to accumulate more than 10m ECs per toon on your account.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Also remember, that every year there is a Winter and Summer event that give free T6 ships. You missed the Winter Event unfortunately, but it won't be terribly long until the Summer Event.

This summer will also mark the 50th Anniversary of the Star Trek franchise, and it wouldn't be crazy to think that could also yield a ship of some type. If you have a T5 right now, that should be enough to last you until an event comes along that can get you a free ship.

If you want a T6 ship without paying money and without a hard core grind, your best course of action is simply patience.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    during leveling time monthly sub (it's a very small amount) is very useful and we get 500 zen each month.
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I can give you a method I used to get a "free" T6 Valiant... I use raptr to launch the game. It logs gameplay and rewards RP (raptr points). Just playing (or leaving the game logged in whilst not playing ;) ) I earned enough to buy the Valiant. Sadly, the giveaway has now ended but there is bound to be another.
    You can also trawl the net for legitimate giveaways from other sites (Alienwarearena, Razer, MMORPG.com, mmo-play.com and many more such "magazine" sites have giveaways/free game keys). Doing this has earned me uniforms, IDIC tribbles, tabby cats, peregrine fighters, NX class T1 ships, XP boosts and much more besides.
    In the end, T6 is nice but you can do every bit of content at Admiral and above with the the highest level of free ship you get so don't sweat it and just be patient for the summer event or random giveaway.
    You can also join a fleet and hope one of them has a giveaway/event which rewards a better ship. My Fed fleet, for example, gives each new player a mirror universe ship for variety and the admiralty card.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It seems to me your best first step in using your Dilithium is to get Zen for the EC exchange. That aid, just because you now have a high cap, getting the 100 Million EC or so to get enough Fleet Modules for a ship or a lockbox ship will take you time, too.

Getting some alts to allow you to refine more Dilithium is probably a decent way, provided you can easily earn that much Dilithium - that depends heavily on how much time you can spend on the game.

The other thing to do is: Wait for the Ship Events like Summer, Winter and Anniversary, or hope for some giveaways.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    A T6 ship is a big ask for f2p. Other posters are right that there should be some goodies in the Summer giveaway.

In the meantime you can pick up ships on the exchange that can be upgraded to T5U. Check the list of playable starships http://sto.gamepedia.com/Playable_starship. Don't be sniffy about them they can pack a hell of a whallop and it means you can save all that dilithium for upgrading your systems awaiting your T6.

You should have been awarded with an upgrade token already. I played with the APU Cruiser for a while and it was a hoot.
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. What I am hearing from the group is that a T5 ship is enough to play and contribute in end game modes, like PVP. It's not enough to dominate, but I'm ok with that. In fact, it was exactly what I needed to hear. That said, the following should be my strategy for getting a T6/T5U ship. Step one, farm dil and convert it all into zen with all my captains. Step two, use the zen to purchase the EC cap upgrade. Step three, keep farming dil/zen and EC until I can get the ship. meanwhile, wait for the summer event to get the next free ship. Someone mentioned the account bank. Since I can use the mail system for most things, is it worth it to have those ten slots for account bound items? Seems like a lot of zen for that. About T5U ships; I already knew that they were about as good as T6. However, I also read that you can't upgrade the free T5 ships unlocked from playing, and, the cost (in zen) of a T5U ship and the upgrade is basically the same as a T6 ship. So, to me, they are the same. Then again, with the EC upgrade, I might be able to score a T5U on the exchange cheaply at some point. Then it's just a matter of getting the upgrade token. I also tried to find the "Vandal" and "Valdore" ships that were mentioned, and I couldn't find anything. What are those ships? Thanks again for the help, and, I'm I right about what I've said here?
    edited March 2016
    Account bound is WIN if you have alts. If nothing else, making 1 set of AP beams and maxing them out and sharing them saves tons and tons of money, dil, time, and more. There are other sharable items too, crafted consoles come to mind, also rep tokens (2x rep for alts after first one gets to max!!). Remember that alts get a bomb of dil for maxing rep, so you can delete and reroll a few times a year for tons of dil.

There are free t5u upgrades here and there in the give aways.

valdore is a low level rom ship. Vandal is a low level kdf ship. The first has a console that turns shooting into healing, keeping rom ships alive forever once they reach a certain dps rating, and the second has plasma leech, a megamillions value console fed side for free for all your alts on the kdf side :)

I think both are tier 2 or 3, the 1000 zen priced stuff. Neither is "necessary". Ive not run a valdore in years, and leech is going away between nerfs to it and plethora of power from other sources. You can manage without them, but they are nice. Depends on your ship and all .. but consoles are the most limited resource in space gear. You are down 1 already for flying a t5 ship. If your ship has 5 tac consoles, you already spent 7, maybe 8 of your 10 on damage (AP damage console, 5 tac consoles, 10% damage console). That leaves room for both of these, sure, but maybe you wanted something else in there like a crafted RCS? There just isnt as much room as you might like....

Note that a ROM kdf can punch up a cheezy high dps build and run the kdf daily "defense" missions. This + admiralty = 8k cap daily in just a few min of combat if you can do drive-by vapes of the trash.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    One more thing. If I spend all of my dil on zen, won't that cause me problems in other ways?
    It obviously means you won't have Dilithium for other stuff, like gear upgrades. But it's not like Dilithium is a finite resource, it just means you will need to spend more time before you can start doing that. Might still be preferable to spending real world money.

Of course, some Dlithium sources dry up - for example, finishing reputations grants a large sum of Dilithium. But others are always there (all the usual Dilthium granting content). And others return occasionally (Events like Mirror Invasion, Crystaline Entity and now probably also The Breach).

STO is certainly a game that tries to provide maximum incentives to play the game regularly, and to keep a good eye on the website to not miss any special promotions.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    noroblad wrote: »
    I think both are tier 2 or 3, the 1000 zen priced stuff. Neither is "necessary". Ive not run a valdore in years, and leech is going away between nerfs to it and plethora of power from other sources. You can manage without them, but they are nice.

The Plasmonic Leech is not getting a the nerf bat.

Yes, people did notice that in the Tribble Test Server (where Cryptic developers are testing the new skill system) the Leech did loose some of it's effectiveness. But you have to keep in mind that it is a "test server" where there could be problems that needs to be fixed when implementing, testing and updating game changes.

TRIBBLE MAINTENANCE AND RELEASE NOTES - March 2, 2016

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1212699/tribble-maintenance-and-release-notes-march-2-2016/p1

The following list of powers have had their base effectiveness increased by 50% in order to offset the fact that the benefit less from Drain Expertise under the new system than they benefited from Flow Capacitors previously:

Charged Particle Burst (Boff Power)
    Tachyon Inversion Beams (Chimera)
    Tractor Beam Officer (Tractor Beam drains shields)
    Breen Energy Siphon (3pc set bonus)
    Quantum Destabilizing Beam (3pc set bonus)
    Plasmonic Leech (Console)
    Energy Siphon (Boff Power)
    Improved Tachyon Beam (Starship Trait)
    Shield Inversion (Console)
    Enhanced Shield Inversion (Console + Set Bonus)

• giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Looks like you got the basic idea. It seems like you dont want to pay for the game at all, but you know I would suggest paying for a subscription and then canceling after one month. Since you said you wanted to get the EC unlock getting a sub would be much easier. But more importantly, getting a sub will give you the EC unlock on ALL your current characters. I dont know if you keep access to your account bank after your sub expires, but all other sub benefits, EC cap, bank and inventory space, you keep after your sub expires. I think paying $15 just once for this game is well worth it. It will make earning ships and high end gear much easier. Though if you do consider it, try getting at least one more character to lvl 50 so they can also get the subscriber benefits.
    Someone mentioned the account bank. Since I can use the mail system for most things, is it worth it to have those ten slots for account bound items? Seems like a lot of zen for that.

The account bank can be used to transfer gear that is bound to an account. You cannot use the mail system to sent these items to yourself. It is set up that way to prevent you from "accidentally" giving your "used" gear to someone else.

For example, you have some Mk XII disruptor beam arrays and tactical consoles which you have been using for a while. You want to give to one of your alts because you want to try antiproton weapons and consoles. Without the account bank you cannot transfer that gear to your other toon.

Also, there is no need to worry about using up all your dilithium because Cryptic has made it very easy for you to get more dil. This is one of the reason why the exchange rate for dil to Zen is so high right now; 311:1. When I started playing STO back in Jan 2014, the exchange rate was 125:1 because dil was not as easy to get as it is now and there were a lot of fleets using dil to improve their starbases through projects. Well... a lot of fleets have finished the available projects by now so there is not a huge demand of dil anymore. More dil sitting around doing nothing means the exchange rate goes up because more people have more dil laying around doing nothing. Well... there is the upgrade system which does use dil, unless you are using the Omega Upgrade Kits.
    gilion wrote: »
    Looks like you got the basic idea. It seems like you dont want to pay for the game at all, but you know I would suggest paying for a subscription and then canceling after one month. Since you said you wanted to get the EC unlock getting a sub would be much easier. But more importantly, getting a sub will give you the EC unlock on ALL your current characters. I dont know if you keep access to your account bank after your sub expires...

The EC Cap Unlock from the C-Store applies to the entire account not just a single character. While subscribing does remove the EC Cap restriction, that only applies as long as the subscription is active. Once the subscription ends the EC Cap goes back into effect. So... I recommend using the 500 Zen stipend players get per month of subbing to purchase the EC Cap Unlock once the subscription has ended.

There are basically two scenarios when it comes to ending a subscription without having purchased the EC Cap Remover:

#1 - Characters with less than 10m EC will not be able to have more than a 10m EC balance. Any EC earned above that is lost.

#2 - Characters with more than 10m EC will keep whatever balance they have whether that is 11m EC or 999m EC. The limitation is that those characters will no longer be able to earn anymore EC until the balance falls below 10m EC.

You keep the Account Bank when the subscription ends.

Regarding inventory slots; every time you are promoted until you get to level 50, each character will get 6 additional personal inventory slot and 12 additional bank slots. This is retroactive; meaning if you have captains that is already level 50 or higher, those captains will automatically get the additional inventory slots.

While you are subscribing, every time a captain earns a promotion up to level 50, that toon will receive a Captain Respec token. These tokens are not retroactive; meaning if you have captains that are already level 50 or higher, they will not receive a token.
    Thanks again to everyone who tried to help me out. I did upgrade my EC cap, like everyone suggested. However, I also found a few t5u ships on the exchange for less than 10 million. The APU Cruiser was last listed as low as 6.75 million EC, the Malon battle cruiser for about 2 million EC, tholian meshweaver for about 3.2 million, and the Kazon Heavy Raider for about 10 million. I am now the proud owner of an APU Cruiser for my fed captain, and the not so proud owner of a Malon battle cruiser (garbage scow). None of these ships are spectacular, but for those of us who can't get high tier ships any other way, they will work for now. (Mostly I wanted to post about those ships for those who read this thread, looking for the same answer that I wanted.)
    As for any who think I don't want to support the game, you are mistaken. In the first month I've been here, I've encouraged two former players to start playing again, and introduced one new player. (And at least one of them has potential to spend serious money here.) Arc seems to want free players, so here I am. According to Arc, I am helping just by playing. Now, I never said I wouldn't spend money on this game. The more this game proves itself to me, the more likely I am to spend money. It was advertised as free to play, so free to play it should be. So far, it is passing that test. In a free to play game, spending money should be an enhancement, not a requirement. The t5u garbage scow shows that the game, even end game, can be played for free. But you better believe at some point I will be enhancing my game beyond the garbage scow.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    Hi all. I just got my first character up to level 50. Yay! I had done my homework, and I knew ahead of time that I wouldn't be unlocking a free ship at this tier. So, how do you get a tier 6 ship? Here's what I found. You can buy one with zen, get a fleet ship, buy one off the exchange, find one in a lock box (or similar promotion), get one with lobi crystals, or get one from an event. Did I miss anything?
    Now, you're going to think I am Daemon Ebenezer, but let's look at the methods of getting tier 6 ships from a free to play perspective. You can't just buy one with zen, because it costs cash. Thus, it's not free. You can trade dil for zen, but this nets you about 25 zen per day, if you are getting maximum dil (8,000) per day, which I have yet to do. (Yes, I am a noob.) Fleet ships require modules which cost zen, again, zen = cash = not free. You can't buy one off the exchange, because a free player can only have up to 10 million EC, and no one is selling anything tier 6 for anything close to that. Finding one in a lock box is like winning the lottery. You have a 2% chance. Even then, the keys cost zen, thus cash and not free. Tier 6 lobi ships cost about 900 lobi. Lobi can be found in lock boxes (see previous statement), or from special events. Even then, those events give tiny amounts of lobi, and the events are rare. So, lobi ships are out for the free player. The most realistic way for a free player to get a free ship is to get one from an event. But the next one is about three months away. I just started playing this game while the latest event was under way. While you were all getting your free ships, I was figuring out which button to hit.
    So, now that I've made myself look like a stingy, ungrateful complainer, (this is an awesome free game, and I'm glad I get to play it) how do I get a tier 6 ship for my tier 6 character? I can wait three months and get one from the next event, or I can farm dil with an underpowered ship. Any help here would be awesome. I would be disappointed if this game were free to play, pay to win. I know a free player shouldn't expect to be able to get the best ship, but something usable would be cool.

Are you a lifetime subscriber? if so Goto ship yard - claim your free destroyer (Both T5 and T6).

If not, why are you expecting a T6 ship for free?

Are you a lifetime subscriber? if so Goto ship yard - claim your free destroyer (Both T5 and T6).

If not, why are you expecting a T6 ship for free?

Except they have given away a half dozen t6s for free... with more on the way for the summer event and who knows what else this year. Its a reasonable question to ask because free ships is a thing in this game.
    Maybe I should be more clear. When I say "free", I mean that one does not have to pay cash, real life money to get it. This game is advertised as "free to play". It is not advertised as a "trial membership". If it were a "trial membership", then only a reduced amount of content would be available for free. So, if it were a "trial membership", I would not expect to get a t6/t5u ship for "free". But, they advertise this game as "free to play", which means that everything "needed" to play all modes of the game should be "free". Of course, they sell plenty of premium product that is not "needed" to play all game modes, and that's how they get their money. In a "free to play" game, yes, I do expect to get a top tier character, ship and gear without paying one cent. Otherwise, they would be guilty of false advertising. And as I said, I was able to get two t5u ships without paying one cent, so my original question has been answered. Thank you to those who give us this game. One thing I forgot to mention is the "free to play/pay to win" game. That kind of game is advertised as "free to play", but then players find out the hard way that you cannot win if you don't buy premium product. I have no respect for games that are "free to play/pay to win", because they are dishonest. "Free to play" games should be "free to play, win and have fun/pay to have even more fun", and that is the kind of game that I will (eventually) spend money on. I might also spend money on a game that advertises a "trial membership", or one that charges admission at the front door. Thank you Arc, for making this game "free to play" (as far as I can tell so far). I am sorry if it bothers you that I am not (yet) spending much money on this game, and talking about how to play it for free. But if it does bother you, then your real issue is with Arc for inviting people around the world to come play their game and be part of their community for "free".
  • glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    You can finish all the missions and PVEs using the free ships. You do need to bear in mind that you will need to grind dilithium and EC in order to properly equip such a ship.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    To be fair, it should go without saying that Cryptic is a business, and is obviously in existence to make money. The game costs money to host and keep it online as well as to pay the staff of writers, developers, etc who are all needed to keep the game online, handle any problems, and add new content to keep the game 'alive.' The game is 'free to play' in the sense that it costs you nothing to download, install and play. Free to play does not mean that everything in the game is free, so the advertising is honest and as far as 'truly free' goes, I think STO is the only 'Free MMO' I have ever seen where you actually can play for free.

Your biggest issue right now is simply the time of year. The yearly events do give away quality T6 ships that free players can use with a great deal of success at end game. My recommendation at this point is that you save all your Dilithium, and wait for the next event (Probably the summer event.) During that time, you'll have an incredibly easy little task to do for 5-10 min a day and after you do it a few times you'll get a very nice ship totally free. Just understand that being 'totally free' means you're going to have to wait for things. It means you're going to have to take time to get the things you want, but you will eventually get them. The way the free model works is that you can get what you want/need over time, but money simply allows you to get it faster.

If you're willing to wait you actually can get anything in STO without paying anything. If however, you're able to pay a little bit and you enjoy the game and wish to support it, then buying a little zen really speeds things up. Also remember, you can buy some Zen with money and some with dilithium, it doesn't have to be all money. The last time I bought a T6 ship, I used 2k Zen worth of Dilithium and bought 1k with actual money so the ship cost me $10 instead of $30. Or you can wait for summer and pay $0, choice is yours. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.