test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
Most of us are excited about the new Trek show. And it's great to hear news about it's progress. But instead of posting a new thread every time there is some update, how about we keep the conversation together and ongoing right here. So if you have some thoughts, feedback, or updates on the new show, post them below! :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    was just about to post this
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Rod is still in his father and mothers shadow, some what concerning. Majel and Gene were legendary figures in the trek world and Majel brought Gene's Andromeda to the screen as well. Rod will have to show some iron mivonks as his time as an EP to bring some new controversy to the trek series, keep it interesting and unsettle the status quo to change. it happened before but he needs a big score of his own.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    I heard they want to pick up the story after star trek VI. Just saying.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    I heard they want to pick up the story after star trek VI. Just saying.

from what i read on it, they are picking up elements from that film, it may not be set in that time line, rumor mill is obviously out of control at this time.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    The talk about Trek VI seemed to be about *theme*, not literal time period or story.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Interesting... not sure what Rod brings to the table, that Fuller and Meyer didn't already bring, but cool. I think that's enough for executive producer, though, LOL.

Hey, @thegrandnagus1, I have an idea... do you think you could occasionally update the first post in this thread with news updates? Maybe not even provide links, but a quick rundown of "what we know so far"? Just a thought. :smile:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    While the additions in the last few weeks to producers have been great, I am a little concerned with the NUMBER of executive producers. It's my experience when the number of executive producers is higher than the number of normal cast ( exaggerating of course but you get the point) the show tends to have,,,, creative issues. I am sincerely hoping I am wrong on this, and I am still optimistic about this show it is a mild concern.

All that being said I watched " The captains" and thought it was a GREAT tribute to not only Gene Roddenberry but Star Trek itself. Rod seems like a perfect fit to head this new show, along with the director or Arguably two of the BEST Original series movies, and a writer who has extensive experience writing for different Trek series.

The next step is going to be deciding WHEN to place the new show in the Trek Universe. It is highly unlikely to take place in the JJ Verse because Paramount Owns the JJ verse, so will it be in between one of the existing Trek series, or take place after the end of Voyager? I'm hoping for the last option. 50-75 years after Voyager would allow much more leeway in terms of story, and wouldn't put the writers into a narrow box, like they had with Enterprise.
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Bryan Fuller, Nicholas Meyer, Rod Roddenberry ... this is going to be interesting. :P
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Bryan Fuller, Nicholas Meyer, Rod Roddenberry ... this is going to be interesting. :P

Definitely. I just hope we don't get a "too many cooks in the kitchen" issue with egos bumping into each other :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I wouldnt worry too much about too many cooks....Game of Thrones has 5 EPs, Breaking Bad had 3, House of Cards has 12
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • captxpendablecaptxpendable Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Frankly, I'll be disappointed if it's not set in the 25th century or later, I'm tired of Star Trek going backward.
    "Let me guess, my theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie" - The Doctor

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" -
    Agatha Heterodyne
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I'd like to see an Anthology Show, where we jump around between all of the previous eras and beyond.
    It doesn't have to be about time travel, but that could be one way to do it.
    I think CBS this time around, is willing to put a fairly large sum of money into this project (or so it seems), so this format could work.
    Perhaps have three or four different crews/ships in different time periods that end up interacting with each other through ways they don't even realize.

Say the earliest crew goes to a planet for the first time and interacts with the inhabitants in the 22nd century, then in the next episode we get to see what developed from that First Contact with a crew from the 23rd century and the changes that have occurred.
    Then we jump another hundred years in the next episode, and a 24th century crew goes back to see what eventually became of the inhabitants and their culture.

Stuff like that would certainly be something we have not really seen before and be "different".

d3574862148f60a7f2c499603d399e59.jpg

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Definitely. I just hope we don't get a "too many cooks in the kitchen" issue with egos bumping into each other :D
    Rod Roddenberry sounds like a bit of "stunt casting". Did he do anything remarkable so far?

Nicholas Meyer could be a bit of that, too, but at least he directed a very well recieved Trek movie.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Rod Roddenberry sounds like a bit of "stunt casting". Did he do anything remarkable so far?

Nicholas Meyer could be a bit of that, too, but at least he directed a very well recieved Trek movie.

Movies....he also wrote Wrath of Khan, the Voyage Home and directed and wrote Undiscovered Country
    Your pain runs deep.
    daveyny wrote: »
    I'd like to see an Anthology Show, where we jump around between all of the previous eras and beyond.
    It doesn't have to be about time travel, but that could be one way to do it.
    I think CBS this time around, is willing to put a fairly large sum of money into this project (or so it seems), so this format could work.
    Perhaps have three or four different crews/ships in different time periods that end up interacting with each other through ways they don't even realize.

Say the earliest crew goes to a planet for the first time and interacts with the inhabitants in the 22nd century, then in the next episode we get to see what developed from that First Contact with a crew from the 23rd century and the changes that have occurred.
    Then we jump another hundred years in the next episode, and a 24th century crew goes back to see what eventually became of the inhabitants and their culture.

Stuff like that would certainly be something we have not really seen before and be "different".

Hmm... I could see something like American Horror Story, which I believe tells a different story each season, and keeps the same actors, but changes them into different roles each season (isn't that the show Angela Bassett is on?). A format similar to True Detective could be interesting, too... same idea, but I think they totally recast every season.

But, jumping around every episode? Sounds expensive, for one thing, and I'm almost certain the new show will be arc-based.
    Just wanted to throw this penny into the well...

I was just reading TrekCore's comments about the Rod Roddenberry hire... oh, internet... why can't you distinguish between Roberto Orci, Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman, and JJ Abrams?

Someone posted that they have a source at CBS (LOLZ! Of course, SHOCKER, there was no proof given to back this claim up.) that claims Alex Kurtzman has no creative control over the show... and there was much rejoicing in Whoville. Except... he's co-creator of the damn show, and he's likely the one who hired Bryan Fuller. No creative control, my left foot.

Remember, kids... Alex Kurtzman is not Orci, Abrams, or Lindelof. Kurtzman has co-created a number of hit shows, from Fringe to the few hits he's created for CBS. This is why he, and his production company, likely got the gig. It's also why he's likely handed off showrunning to Fuller... Kurtzman has a lot of shows on his plate. Shoot, Michael Pillar was showrunner for DS9 for the first two seasons, until he handed off to Ira Behr... so, I wouldn't be shocked if Fuller and/or Meyer step away, once the show is going strong. But, I digress...

Don't write Kurtzman off, or dismiss him (or the show) simply because of the past two movies. And don't believe everything you read on the internet, of course.

/end rant :tongue:
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    The concept behind Scorpion is pretty cool, but it's heavily limited in the fact that few scriptwriters are also genius technophiles, so when you know the subject matter the seams tend to show. (Don't get me started on the episode with the nuclear reactor.) On the other hand, the girl who plays Happy is pretty cute, so sometimes when I'm waiting for something else to start I'll settle in and enjoy the eye-candy. :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited March 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Just wanted to throw this penny into the well...

I was just reading TrekCore's comments about the Rod Roddenberry hire... oh, internet... why can't you distinguish between Roberto Orci, Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman, and JJ Abrams?

Someone posted that they have a source at CBS (LOLZ! Of course, SHOCKER, there was no proof given to back this claim up.) that claims Alex Kurtzman has no creative control over the show... and there was much rejoicing in Whoville. Except... he's co-creator of the damn show, and he's likely the one who hired Bryan Fuller. No creative control, my left foot.

Remember, kids... Alex Kurtzman is not Orci, Abrams, or Lindelof. Kurtzman has co-created a number of hit shows, from Fringe to the few hits he's created for CBS. This is why he, and his production company, likely got the gig. It's also why he's likely handed off showrunning to Fuller... Kurtzman has a lot of shows on his plate. Shoot, Michael Pillar was showrunner for DS9 for the first two seasons, until he handed off to Ira Behr... so, I wouldn't be shocked if Fuller and/or Meyer step away, once the show is going strong. But, I digress...

Don't write Kurtzman off, or dismiss him (or the show) simply because of the past two movies. And don't believe everything you read on the internet, of course.

/end rant :tongue:

Limitless and Scorpion, both on the air right now, are from Kurtzman. I don't watch them, but I hear good things from people who do. Kurtzman has a pretty healthy TV background Limitless, Scorpion, Hawaii Five-O, Sleepy Hollow, Fringe, Alias, Jack of All Trades, Xena, Hercules. Alex knows the TV world.

Yep. Great points.

Yes, some of those shows were with Abrams & Bad Robot, and I think one or two were also with Orci (Fringe & Hawaii Five-O, if memory serves)... but enough of them are independent from both men.

Now, I suppose it's "true" that Kurtzman won't have creative control in the series... but, that's the point of the showrunner position. But, I'm willing to bet that Kurtzman worked with CBS Studios closely on the hire of Fuller... that's how Hollywood works, as far as I've observed.

And, turning my attention back to Roddenberry... it's why I'm not doing cartwheels about the hire. Rod doesn't seem like the creative type (not a slight on him, mind you). I doubt he'd ever be in a position to become showrunner if/when Fuller steps away.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2016

B3tbsZq.gif

But I like Too Many Cooks!

... regardless, I'll watch it. I'll enjoy it. I'll have fun reading about how it will inevitably ruin Star Trek forever.

Maybe it'll even turn out like this.

4NjI387.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    The concept behind Scorpion is pretty cool, but it's heavily limited in the fact that few scriptwriters are also genius technophiles, so when you know the subject matter the seams tend to show. (Don't get me started on the episode with the nuclear reactor.) On the other hand, the girl who plays Happy is pretty cute, so sometimes when I'm waiting for something else to start I'll settle in and enjoy the eye-candy. :wink:

I don't think most watchers are really looking for accurate technical sophistication, they mostly just want to enjoy the story and not have to think to hard about the technobabble.
    ... and stare at the pretty girls.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »

I don't think most watchers are really looking for accurate technical sophistication, they mostly just want to enjoy the story and not have to think to hard about the technobabble.
    ... and stare at the pretty girls.
    B)
    The hundred and first fan of Worf springs to mind ;)

PS RE your Cloud Atlas-like idea... I like it B)
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    The biggest gap in st lore atm is post st:VI and before TNG:Farpoint. Id love a series set in this gap. Explain y the romulains withdrew back to their borders and expand on the kitomer accords. Or bring a series post ST: Nemsis that unites TNG/VOY/DS9. Im leaning to the formers in hopes tho
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    kekvin wrote: »
    The biggest gap in st lore atm is post st:VI and before TNG:Farpoint. Id love a series set in this gap. Explain y the romulains withdrew back to their borders and expand on the kitomer accords. Or bring a series post ST: Nemsis that unites TNG/VOY/DS9. Im leaning to the formers in hopes tho

Your first idea would go a long way to filling in canon gaps, however it would put the show in a narrow creative box, like Enterprise, and we all know how that turned out.

2nd option would be the best imo. They could make it 20-30 years after TNG/DS9/VOY. This would allow them to go in almost any direction they wanted, while at the same time leave open the doors to the new crew visiting DS9, ( unlikely I know, but could still be fun) Would also allow for random references to what came before. Im in process of rewatching DS9 and I have to say it has TONS of references to not only TNG but also TOS. While TNG only had a few TOS references, this is what Roddenberry apparently wanted. Voyager had some TNG cast appearances, and some small tie ins with the dominion war arc. I believe the new show should chart its own course, but NEVER be afraid to look behind at what came before. Balancing the two can be tricky, but as a fan of all things Trek, it is what I want in the new show!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
This discussion has been closed.