test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Operation Gamma

glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
Whilst playing my Fed Player I skipped this mission. It was just too damned hard.

I have tried it with my Romulan in a heavily armed runabout. I disable cluster Alpha then kill the worker bee. Move to Beta and disable the cluster. No worker bee this time. Move on to Gamma, disable it and wait for the worker bee. None arrives. After taking a pounding I go after the Jem'Hadar. Kill them in short order only to go back to DS9 and find myself reset to Alpha again.

Am I missing something here?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    yeah... there were probably two worker bees that spawned at Gamma. You often have to kill them while the Jem'Hadar are shooting at you.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,619 Arc User
    I tank the Jem'Hadar while I squash the bees.

Remember that you don't need to use shuttle gear, you can equip the best beam and torp you own along with the space set and some consoles from your main ship. Also, a hull heal and shield heal helps if you can manage both, that's more important than DPS boosts.

Something I meant to try is bringing a turret for the device slot, if you can equip those on a shuttle.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Let's see, Operation 'Gamma'... My advice?
    • One Worker Bee spawns after Alpha, two after Delta and three after Epsilon.
    • A 'Small Craft' or Crafted or Mission Omni-Beam Array or a Turret works best since they have 360 range of fire (Turrets are good for fighters as they benefit from the fighter's innate C:RF-I ability).
    • Try to have either a Runabout (Danube, Kestrel or Toron) or better (I normally go with either a Delta Flyer or a To'duj Fighter). You'll want the BOff slot.
    • I like putting a Tac with Torp Spread I in that slot, personally.
    • Activate the Torp Spread BEFORE disabling nodes Alpha, Delta and Epsilon, then as soon as it finishes, start shooting. With any luck, you'll hit most of the Work Bees and Jemmie Fighters before they have a chance to spread out.
    • If you have them from the Fed Thunderchild or KDF Vor'Kang, I recommend bringing along a Point Defense System or Isometric Charge console since they hit multiple targets automatically.
    • Ignore the fighters, focus on the Worker Bees - once they're gone, you can kill the fighters in your own time.
    • Don't be afraid to use Nimbus Pirates or Improved Command Frequency-Fleet Support, as well as any deployable turrets - the more firepower the better.

And most of these tips, I'll add, can also be applied to the Idran Swarmers a little later on in the mission...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    i have been using a Rom runabaout with twin distruptor beams. It carves through the Jem'Hadar like they are not there.

I tried the turrets whilst playing Fed. They did not seem to want to have a go at the worker bees.

Had not realised that so many bees spawned.

Thanks peeps, |I will give it another try.
    > I like putting a Tac with Torp Spread I in that slot, personally.
    > Activate the Torp Spread BEFORE disabling nodes Alpha, Delta and Epsilon, then as soon as it finishes, start shooting. With any luck, you'll hit most of the Work Bees and Jemmie Fighters before they have a chance to spread out.

That's a good choice too, especially with a "special" rep or episode torp
  • elywaerelywaer Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    The few times I completed this mission, I had help. For me, this mission is not worth the trouble. I skip this one and move on.
  • glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Elywaer

I agree, that has been what I have done. It is too much effort for the rewards.
    I run it twice on a character who wants the Jem'Hadar space set, which goes well with Polaron beams. For others it's once and done but using my regular ship equipment I haven't needed to respawn or restart the sequence for the last few times I've run it. I guess with practice you get the hang of squashing the bees and not annoying the swarmers Dominion side.
    edited March 2016
    glenn#1579 wrote: »
    Elywaer

I agree, that has been what I have done. It is too much effort for the rewards.
    Once you figure it out you can get good enough to do it easily.

regarding swarmers: they're very fast, but have no shields, torp spreads will eat them alive. But you need a second weapon, possibly a beam array to hit whichever ones the spread didn't take out since they close to point blank range and fly in circles around you. Their only weapon seems to be a beam they can only fire within 2km.

If I'm bored I'll actually fly around Idran and wipe out the swarmers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • caellie#8987 caellie Member Posts: 2 New User
    i'm struggling with this as well - I even bought that black shuttlecraft to see if this would help but I can't seem to not get the jemhadar off my butt and then they respawn while im trying to FIND the worker bees - im lvl 58 Tac with an intelligent officer at the helm
  • dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Beam: Fire at Will is an ensign level ability, which means you can take it on a runabout. It helps a lot against the swarmers since they're hard to see, especially if you have an omnibeam available. On the other hand, it's a pretty poor choice for the first half of the mission when you need to focus on the worker bees. I usually run one omnibeam (or the S-type beam array since it's also fires 360 degrees and comes with the shuttle) and one DBB on my runabouts.

I've found that shuttle missions suffer terribly from camera issues. If you're zoomed in enough to actually see your craft, the field of vision is too small to keep track of what's going on. If you go for the wide view, it's easy to lose track of where you are and where you're going.
  • caellie#8987 caellie Member Posts: 2 New User
    > @dumas13 said:
    > Beam: Fire at Will is an ensign level ability, which means you can take it on a runabout. It helps a lot against the swarmers since they're hard to see, especially if you have an omnibeam available. On the other hand, it's a pretty poor choice for the first half of the mission when you need to focus on the worker bees. I usually run one omnibeam (or the S-type beam array since it's also fires 360 degrees and comes with the shuttle) and one DBB on my runabouts.
    >
    > I've found that shuttle missions suffer terribly from camera issues. If you're zoomed in enough to actually see your craft, the field of vision is too small to keep track of what's going on. If you go for the wide view, it's easy to lose track of where you are and where you're going.

Yeah thats what I keep running into - I did run the Romulun mission and I have the omni beam and the warp core on the shuttlecraft - so any special advise for what else I can do about the jemhadar swarming - someone had mentioned the pirates and I thought that might be good to get them distracted so I can take out the bees
    dumas13 wrote: »
    Beam: Fire at Will is an ensign level ability, which means you can take it on a runabout. It helps a lot against the swarmers since they're hard to see, especially if you have an omnibeam available. On the other hand, it's a pretty poor choice for the first half of the mission when you need to focus on the worker bees. I usually run one omnibeam (or the S-type beam array since it's also fires 360 degrees and comes with the shuttle) and one DBB on my runabouts.

I've found that shuttle missions suffer terribly from camera issues. If you're zoomed in enough to actually see your craft, the field of vision is too small to keep track of what's going on. If you go for the wide view, it's easy to lose track of where you are and where you're going.
    Yeah I change weapons several times in the mission and often reseat boffs too. nothing beats a HY tric for blowing up that pesky satellite. But it's useless for other things. torp spread or FaW is best for swarmers. Another option is harghs. the splash+DoT can hit multiple targets. But if using FaW I'd use two arrays. For Torp spread, a hargh and some other torp(probably photon or quant) is good.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    A question about deployable turrets...

You can only drop one at a time, right?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • ultimatenewbieultimatenewbie Member Posts: 269 Arc User

Yes, more or less. IIRC there is a long cooldown timer.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User

Yes, more or less. IIRC there is a long cooldown timer.

There's also a long cool-down timer on the Nimbus Pirates or Improved Command Frequency-Fleet Support.

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I re-played this mission with a level 60 KDF captain recently. I used the Toron Shuttle which costs a mere 34K EC. I used the standard disruptor beam array and installed Crystalline antiproton torpedo. The Boff I assigned has Torpedo Spread I. It was easy enough to kill the worker bees and fend off the Jem'hadar. It was also effective against the swarmers too.