test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts/Ideas: Future science shinnies!

samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
Well it can't hurt to give them ideas can it? Let's jump right in.

Starship traits:

- Tachyon Beam converted to AOE shield drain around your primary target with reduced effectiveness

- All energy weapons now use Auxiliary power instead of weapon power (there would probably need to be a trade-off)

- Adds 10% of your Exotic Particle Generator skill to your Control Expertise skill AND 10% of your Control Skill to you Exotic Particle Genertor skill (this could come in several different flavors and would encourage mixed builds) ex. If you have 400 EPG then you would get +40 to control expertise and if you had 300 control you would get +30 to EPG

- Charged Particle Burst shield drain converted to power drain and Control expertise increases the size of the AOE (sort of like gravity well)

- Photonic Shockwave now deals x amount of radiation damage (boosted by EPG) and the AOE size is increased by Control expertise

- While Polarize hull is active all damage recieved to hull is amplified and reflected back to your attackers as shield ignoring physical damage (similar to feedback pulse but not nearly as powerful)

- Activation of any offensive science power reduces the cooldown of all engineering and Command powers by 10% with a five second cooldown (same as AHOD but for engineering powers)

- Energy Siphon now launches an EMP blast at your target that causes a massive AOE shield and power drain to everything nearby

- Viral Matrix effectiveness reduced but it now affects all targets within 5 km of your primary target

- Jam Sensors disables a random subsystem (disable improved by control expertise)

- Scramble Sensors amplifies the damage and healing of all enemies affected while active

Did I miss anything? The general idea is of course to give less used powers a use. Anyways feel free to drop more comments below on doffs, consoles, equipment etc.
Post edited by samt1996 on

Comments

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Maybe some new abilities, something entirely different or a combination of abilities. Like a small probe that you can fire at a target and which attracts enemies around it on the way. Say I fire it at a Transformer, it attracts a sphere that is close to the probe's trajectory. So something that's similar to gravity well, tractor beam and tractor beam repulsors, but all of them combined in a single ability. Different things could be made out of this: it could explode, with its energy depending on the distance it has flown or the enemies it has captured (using a leech effect) or it could simply work as a magnet and thus be more of a control ability.

Could be fun to steer enemies this way, send them into explosions etc.

Maybe it they make it such that it generates a lot of threat, so that you'd have to choose between using it at larger distances (thus increasing its power when it explodes, if you go that way) or at shorter distances to reduce the chance of it being shot down before it can do anything.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    If they make the Paradox trait work better then gravity well will basically do that.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Not really - unless I've missed something, the Paradox' trait does not attract anything along the trajectory between the players' ship and the target of this probe ability. Unless you have really powerful gravity wells, but otherwise this probe ability would be different.

Besides, the Paradox' trait can only be used by those who own the ship of course.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Maybe some new abilities, something entirely different or a combination of abilities. Like a small probe that you can fire at a target and which attracts enemies around it on the way. Say I fire it at a Transformer, it attracts a sphere that is close to the probe's trajectory. So something that's similar to gravity well, tractor beam and tractor beam repulsors, but all of them combined in a single ability. Different things could be made out of this: it could explode, with its energy depending on the distance it has flown or the enemies it has captured (using a leech effect) or it could simply work as a magnet and thus be more of a control ability.

Could be fun to steer enemies this way, send them into explosions etc.

Maybe it they make it such that it generates a lot of threat, so that you'd have to choose between using it at larger distances (thus increasing its power when it explodes, if you go that way) or at shorter distances to reduce the chance of it being shot down before it can do anything.

What about if it were more like a probe that you fire/launch at a target, but has several varied effects it can do based on what you as the launching character do. Such as that if you use tractor beam it will instead be used by the probe at the location in a smaller yet aoe version (similarly with the repulsor variant), maybe also have it being able to generate a much larger warp-plasma cloud around it by venting a stored amount of plasma when you use vent war plasma (this would be since it is immobile). I could see this being useful to both science an engineering oriented captains for different reasons. Give it a decently long duration length, maybe with an ability to reactivate it an causing it to explode dealing some damage. Could have the strength of the abilities used thru the probe be based on the rank, such as that at rank three it is actually slighter more or less effective than using it on your main ship. I could see there being a slight lockout between it deploying abilities from itself, like if you activated eject warp-plasma causing the probe to eject a warp-plasma cloud from itself instead it would be afew second before it could use the repulsor or tractor type effects.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Some decent ideas. I like the tacyon beam one. Would be sweet for pooled targets. Imagine; GW + tacyon beam with trait + TS3 with Quantum Torp. Wow that would hit hard.

The polarize Hull one though, don't think its needed, you can get a doff for PolHull that acts in such a manner. Chance at reflect damage while PolHull is up.
    Edit: Unless of course, the PolHull trait would have a chance to reflect "Kinetic and Phys" damage....then I'd be falling all over myself trying to get my hands on it. :)
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited March 2016
    Well science has plenty of good options and these traits would certainly shake things up!

Made a few tweaks to the OP.
    I wasn't aware of that DOFF I'll look him up.
    Where the idea of making it that weapons will now use Aux power instead of weapon power it has it's own built in penalty, as long as it both determines it's damage output based on what your Aux power is, and drains that power thru firing the weapons it will make you trade your science power's strength for higher weapon damage. I personally would rather see not boosts to damage output TRIBBLE, but more maybe re-enforcing the buff/effect proc of the different energy types, or even increasing the chance fo the proc to happen. THis could be something like it changing or adding onto the proc of the base energy types, making it that science officers kinda can utilize these procs more effectively.
    That's also something I like, it's been tossed around a few times but I'm not sure it's possible. We suggested adding a new skill that could do that down on the tribble feedback thread so it may yet happen.
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Starship traits:
    - Tachyon Beam converted to AOE shield drain around your primary target with reduced effectiveness

use the Rift for Aoe drain.
    - All energy weapons now use Auxiliary power instead of weapon power (there would probably need to be a trade-off)

no
    - Adds 10% of your Exotic Particle Generator skill to your Control Expertise skill AND 10% of your Control Skill to you Exotic Particle Genertor skill (this could come in several different flavors and would encourage mixed builds)

huh? just add control to the Astro Trait
    - Charged Particle Burst shield drain converted to power drain and Control expertise increases the size of the AOE (sort of like gravity well)

Why would a drain skill be affected by control? CPB does no control what so ever, and use the Rift for AOE drain
    - Photonic Shockwave now deals x amount of radiation damage (boosted by EPG) and the AOE size is increased by Control expertise

Size doe not need increased, use with a GW
    - While Polarize hull is active all damage recieved to hull is amplified and reflected back to your attackers (similar to feedback pulse but not nearly as powerful)

There is a doff for that
    - Activation of any offensive science power reduces the cooldown of all engineering and Command powers by 10% with a five second cooldown (same as AHOD but for engineering powers)

yes
    - Energy Siphon now launches an EMP blast at your target that causes a massive AOE shield and power drain to everything nearby

Use the Rift
    - Viral Matrix effectiveness reduced but it now affects all targets within 5 km of your primary target

There is a doff for that
    - Jam Sensors disables a random subsystem (disable improved by control expertise)

There is a trait for that
    - Scramble Sensors amplifies the damage and healing of all enemies affected while active

huh? like the AI does more damage?

"Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
    edited March 2016
    Just because one AOE drain power exists does not mean others cannot. The viral matrix doffs suck. The size of gravity well is modified by control expertise but the damage is affected by particle generators so it makes perfect sense to have other things size modified by control expertise. Yes the AI would do more damage to each other. If you don't like Weapons that use Auxiliary power you should never buy a Vesta. Polarize hull doff sucks. The new trait is nice enough but this would work very differently and be much more powerful. 10% of 400 would be +40 to your Control skill etc.
    edited March 2016
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Just because one AOE drain power exists does not mean others cannot. The viral matrix doffs suck. The size of gravity well is modified by control expertise but the damage is affected by particle generators so it makes perfect sense to have other things size modified by control expertise. Yes the AI would do more damage to each other. If you don't like Weapons that use Auxiliary power you should never buy a Vesta. Polarize hull doff sucks. The new trait is nice enough but this would work very differently and be much more powerful. 10% of 400 would be +40 to your Control skill etc.

sigh...

So you would like to make things way over powered by adding new traits to things that already exist in the game that are already perfectly balanced?

Perhaps it would make more sense for you to say that these doffs/traits may need a to be adjusted, instead of asking for something that is already in the game
    Nothing on that list is perfectly balanced... that's why I made the list.

then explain why you think those traits and doffs in the game are not balanced and why we need new star ships traits to nullify them
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    hajmyis wrote: »

then explain why you think those traits and doffs in the game are not balanced and why we need new star ships traits to nullify them

Since almost no one uses at least half of the abilities OP mentioned, you can be pretty confident that at least majority of the playerbase don't find them useful enough at their current state. Perhaps not via starship traits (most of the suggested stuff probably won't find a way into Top 5 traits), but some kind of buff nevertheless.
    hajmyis wrote: »

Since almost no one uses at least half of the abilities OP mentioned, you can be pretty confident that at least majority of the playerbase don't find them useful enough at their current state. Perhaps not via starship traits (most of the suggested stuff probably won't find a way into Top 5 traits), but some kind of buff nevertheless.
    The fact that people dont use them says more that people simply dont understand them.

Mainly because people think you have to dps this and dps that.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Different, temporary "summoning" skills would be cool.
    Maybe some personal "holographic" tricks that temporarily give your ship different stats.
    Im basically just trying to think of skills I've seen used with magic users in other games over the years that could be transferred to STO.
    I have more but at the risk of forum disapproval I'll leave it there :)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Not sure how getting "The Shinnies" in STO would be a useful thing. :/
    Honestly i would like to see something either doff or trait oriented that might have an effect on "photonic officer", maybe giving you full crew compliment an so hull regeneration as if you had full crew during a duration, though it would need something more I think.

I actually think that would be interesting have something like a halo-emitter type ability that changes your ship's size an proportions to give you increased defense an chances to dodge attacks. Changing your ship's stats maybe as a boost either thru a trait or doff that you have to slot i could see it.

I could see polarize hull maybe giving a boost to the energy resistance of the type of energy damage it took during it's duration, which would be based on how much damage it took from that type up to a cap as a doff bonus. An then maybe if there is more than one type of damage incoming the buff to the resistance would be divided betwen those based on the three top damage types hitting the target.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    The polarize Hull one though, don't think its needed, you can get a doff for PolHull that acts in such a manner. Chance at reflect damage while PolHull is up.
    Edit: Unless of course, the PolHull trait would have a chance to reflect "Kinetic and Phys" damage....then I'd be falling all over myself trying to get my hands on it. :)

Yea theirs a doff...but its restricted to 25% reflect..I hope cryptic tacs a look at this one and makes it scaling like FBP is. All the other proc reflects are 75% 100% and 150% respectively..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    OOO..what about a Starship trait or doff that ,when FBP or POL Hull is Triggered, Also triggers that same Kenetic shield (Reflect boosted by partGen) that the vesta has to reflect torps :P?

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Sutherland's beam of annoyance.

Against a NPC - Placates the npc.

Against a Player - Throws the interface hub around for 10 seconds before returning everything the way it was. (like that Borg ability from Amada II ... so annoying!)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    The ideas on the OP seem nice, specially the ones that boost photonic shockwave and CBP since both are seldom used anyway.

Tyken's doff - Disable engines if affected by Tyken's. Always procs since Tyken's isn't like GW that can pull stuff into it.
    Yeah that would be cool ^^

If the new drain numbers remain the same anything near it will be sucked dry in about two seconds though. Lol
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    I run a torp build on my science character. I wouldn't mind having some Consoles that improve Torp/PrtG. On the next Fleet station addition we could have a NPC that sold Science power consoles mixed with all diffrent types of torps. On the question of where they would go on your ship console layout if its something like 31% photon damage and 21% PrtG it would go in the tactical. Vice versa 31% PrtG and 21% photon damage it would go in a science console slot. You could just make them all universal but I think it would add too much Power creep. I could write up all the different types of consoles we could have to choose from but I'm pretty sure that you've seen enough of the Fleet consoles to know how many diffrent types there could be.

This might not be that poplular of an idea but I would also like to have Doffs that add cosmetics. For instance, say you like the way disruptors sound and look but your using phaser. Maybe a cosmetic doff could change all of that. Here's one I think everyone would love. Doffs that switch out the proc of one weapon type to another. Tetryon shield drain not your favorite proc, give your tetryon weapons a elachi proc chance. They could even add all new procs for weapons through the use of new doffs.
    We are due for more fleet holding with new tactical and engineering consoles so it's possible. I'm expecting the tactical consoles to improve the new long range targeting skill or shield and armor penetration.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Agreed that the OPs suggestions would be cool.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    That's what I was thinking @odinforever20000

So long as it ALSO reflects PHYS damage.
    Then a thorns/reflect build could once again be something to be feared ! (at least as far as PvP goes).
    Bonus would be if it also Reflected RAD damage. Lmao.

Would love to troll all the cheesy science based PvP'ers who throw around kin and Phys damage like its the holy grail of ultimate cheese.

Go ahead, TBR, TS3 & Res Beam This ! Lol
    Make my day :heart:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User

Starship traits:

- Adds 10% of your Exotic Particle Generator skill to your Control Expertise skill AND 10% of your Control Skill to you Exotic Particle Genertor skill (this could come in several different flavors and would encourage mixed builds) ex. If you have 400 EPG then you would get +40 to control expertise and if you had 300 control you would get +30 to EPG

- While Polarize hull is active all damage recieved to hull is amplified and reflected back to your attackers as shield ignoring physical damage (similar to feedback pulse but not nearly as powerful)

Did I miss anything? The general idea is of course to give less used powers a use. Anyways feel free to drop more comments below on doffs, consoles, equipment etc.

First off, I'm not a PvPer, however, because this aspect of the game still exists, we do need to keep it in mind while... plotting science stuffz...

So, here goes:

1. Tachyon beam is the prime suspect, along with CPB for the issue of "against player's 10k shield facing average, these shield drains are borderline OP, against the million shield point NPCs, they're drops in the bucket.
    A shift to a "percentage" based drain system (ie, x% per tick) would be "more useful" than a 10x or 20x reduction vs. players (also an option)

2. There is an [AUX] weapons mod, which does shift the weapon's drain from the weapon power pool to the aux power pool. Sadly, this mod is currently only available on the Vesta's Aux DHCs.
    Opening up the [AUX] mod to crafted weapons or certain science-y oriented rep weapons at UR is an option.

3. Why do we need a graviton/partigen synergy? Boost TBR and GW, arguably the most common Sci DPS skills? There are rep consoles that do just this, and I'd prefer to leave it this way...

4. CPB. See above, keep as shield drain

5. Agree on adding radiation damage. Not so keen on using control to boost range...

6. Polarize hull is arguably the science "get out of jail free" card. Clears plasma burn, ditches tractor beams and other "hold" effects, etc. etc. Does not need an offensive component as well.

7. No comment, not really for it but not against it, either...

8. Energy Syphon already has a trait, from the winter ship. And that trait is... evil enough. Don't need yet another one.

9. Viral Matrix really could use "and will disable NPC shields"...

10. Jam sensors could use a longer duration, more than anything. In PvP, it's a major pain in the butt...

11. I see the point here, let the NPCs bash each other senseless faster while the scramble is in effect. Then again, you'd have that "unintended consequences" when it's used in PvP again, and there's already nothing more fun that scrambling that BFaW-i-tac just as it ramps up it's full alpha and it's teammates are in range...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    These would be starship traits so they would require effort and expense to acquire and use so they SHOULD do something useful.

The synergy trait could work for any variety of skills the purpose being to encourage dual spec builds like drain and Control or drain and EPG or hell why not shield and hull healing?

I like your idea of craftable [AUX] weapons.

The current Energy Siphon trait is totally worthless to science builds so I fail to see your point.

CPB is pretty useless so why not make it another AOE power drain with a trait? There is precedent for these type of changes but they are normally duty officers like Graga Mal.

Polarize hull already has a reflect doff apparently but it sucks TRIBBLE.

Don't forget that these powers would only be effective on science heavy builds which restricts any chance of OPness significantly.