test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Civilian and Generic Starships

13»

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Actually... certain of the NPC factions still use them. such as the Deferi and Acamarians.

the deferi have their own unique designed ships, i have never seen them use generic ships before, admittedly the last time i checked was well over a year ago. and after just looking on sto wiki, i do not see any mention of them using generic ships.
    the acamarians look like they bought some bajoran assault ships, took the nacelles off and added a few weapons with the only on canon screen appearance to date. who knows what they are using. but that is only one race using them, they may as well be considered another one of those minor insignicant races only found at the home system and at hessans bar... at least until they get their own ships.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    The ships the Deferi use are also the models used for the freighters in the Pheban System patrol. If you look in the foundry, they're even listed under the generic category.

On the Acamarian ships, they look nothing like Bajoran ships.

This is the Bajoran ship: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bajoran_interceptor

This is the Acamarian ship: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Talarian_warship

The Acamarian/Talarian ship is more than justified to be playable in game. The ship, first used in TNG, was reused 8 more times through DS9 and VOY.
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/talarian-warship.htm
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, oddly enough the one ship actually used by Acamarians in the TV show apparently isn't in STO at all. :/ They use the Talarian design as a frigate though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Easy enough to put in ships like the Maquis Raider or some mercenary ship(s) as nicely spec'd T4 ships in the C-store.... but that requires some ship model work... is it worth it?
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
    edited March 2016
    It's just as worthwhile as building Kazon or Hazari ships for the game. One of the great thing about STO is the ability to personally play out the adventures that we have seen on screen in Star Trek; be part of the story. The addition of ships in this category can only add to this aspect of the game.
    Post edited by wakeroberts on
    I've been watching TNG: Unification 1&2 today and had an idea. I think the Surplus Depot at Qualor 2 would be a wonderful addition to STO. It could serve as a somewhat illicit port of call, with the key draw being that it would be the only place that a player could obtain ships like the ones we've been discussing in this thread. It could even have the bar with the 4 armed pianist and a fat Ferengi for a ship dealer.
  • kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I've been watching TNG: Unification 1&2 today and had an idea. I think the Surplus Depot at Qualor 2 would be a wonderful addition to STO. It could serve as a somewhat illicit port of call, with the key draw being that it would be the only place that a player could obtain ships like the ones we've been discussing in this thread. It could even have the bar with the 4 armed pianist and a fat Ferengi for a ship dealer.

That's a nice idea.
    How about a short, story arc, that requires no more than a T4 ship, dealing with mercenaries or raiders. There are examples from TNG and DS9; Picard goes undercover on a merc ship in one episode, then there's all the Maquis stories from DS9.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco