test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arc 3.0 Incoming!

Comments

• askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    *shrugs* free stuff by doing small things is fine by me :smile:
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    caldannach wrote: »
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Sounds like its a similar idea to Raptr and the like is what they are aiming for. But the rewards will probably require massive game-time to earn anything worthwhile.

As half the super nerds on this game put in massive game time, i don't see why once again, people are resenting something that does no harm. Why not earn something for nothing that requires no more effort than a lot of people would put in anyway in their normal playtime?

Its laughable that people just resent ARC for the sake of it. I would like someone to list the negatives of using ARC. Find me one legitimately bad thing and i would be amazed.

It takes up system resources--and hard drive space--while providing absolutely no feature worthwhile to the majority of users. Maybe the usage issue is minor for some, but for people with lower-end computers... I fail to see why I should have to put up with a program I have no use for and is not even remotely necessary for the operation of the game.

In this particular instance, I'm concerned that these flashy new features will eat up even more space and resources, for something that is quite obviously a useless gimmick.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    If I could just play STO and earn these rewards, I'd be okay with that since it's the only game I play. Well, aside from Champions Online every Blue Moon.

Anyway, the way I'm seeing it is I would have to download and play other PW games in order to "level up" to earn the points to turn into Zen. Well, that's not going to happen. None of the other games PW has interest me in the slightest, hence why I'm not already playing them.

However, this system is NOT a bad thing and I'm actually glad to see them put something like this in. It simply isn't for me (much like ARC itself) and therefore will get zero use from me.

For those who enjoy other PW games this is a nice bonus and I hope that things like this catch on with more publishers.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Um... how will they make ARC mandatory "at some point" when three of Cryptic's games are available through Steam as well, and you can actually buy Zen through your Steam wallet?

It makes no sense to me.

As for this ARC revamp... not really impressed so far. I make more Zen just by working the Dilithium Exchange, even with the current high exchange rate.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    So you guys are going to make all my STO and CO play time retroactive for these quests right? Right??
    It was worth a try. :p
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • rebuilthk47rebuilthk47 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Statement: I'm interested to see what it will be like. I hope the Steam version works with this. I'd hate to download over my crappy internet (no data cap, just really stupidly slow), especially since I have discovered them to be throttling me (despite their site explicitly saying they don't limit data usage).
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    I said this when you forced Arc onto us. no I will never use Arc and this doesnt change anything useless piece of trash it is
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory ahead: I wonder if this is why Mac Client support is being dropped. Arc isn't on the Mac and it will soon be mandatory to run PWE games...

I agree. ARC becoming mandatory isn't a "if" question, it's simply a "when". I'm wondering however why they don't simply make it mandatory as quickly as they dropped the Mac client. The people actually quitting to play entirely because of that should be a disappearing minority, really.​​

When it becomes mandatory thats when I will say bye to STO
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    No. Just no. It won't work in Wine anyway, most likely.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Instead of projects like this, could we please get support for things that directly impact gameplay?

Perhaps fixing the in-game UI, so it does not eat half of the frame-rate, for starters?

Since this Arc 3.0 applies to PWE games as a whole and not just STO, I do not believe STO developers and bug-fixers are being pulled away from the game to work on Arc 3.0.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    kazabok wrote: »
    Yup, I'm expecting something like 10,000 Arc Points for 10 ZEN.

From this article, you are correct.

1000 Arc Points = 1 Zen, minimum buy of 5 Zen.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9839863-arc-quests-reward-you-for-discovering-new-games

The natural conversion rate is not 1000 Points - 1 ZEN.

The natural conversion rate is 1000 Points - $1

EDIT: I'm talking with people and telling them to get an image that will clarify more. :)
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Sadly experience with "reward" schemes like this are not exactly... generous. I think I'll stick with Steam thank. It's served me well for years and I see no reason to change.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Who are you talking to there Trendy? Is your boss reading this? Lol
  • hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    kazabok wrote: »
    Yup, I'm expecting something like 10,000 Arc Points for 10 ZEN.

From this article, you are correct.

1000 Arc Points = 1 Zen, minimum buy of 5 Zen.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9839863-arc-quests-reward-you-for-discovering-new-games

The natural conversion rate is not 1000 Points - 1 ZEN.

The natural conversion rate is 1000 Points - $1

EDIT: I'm talking with people and telling them to get an image that will clarify more. :)

So you need 600 EXP to reach a new level. Each level rewards you with 500 Arc points. A minimum purchase of 5000 Arc points can buy you $5 worth of store credit. With a minimum of $10 in store credit, you can then buy 1000 Zen that can be applied to STO.

So in order to use this method to directly purchase Zen, you first need 20 levels (10,000 Arc points) or 12,000 EXP? And that will result in 1000 Zen, right?

EDIT: Seems like an overly complicated method, but I suppose they want minimum purchase requirements to limit potential bot-farming.
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Interesting...

I'd probably be... inclined...-IIISH, to take the arc xp (and by extension the arc points and the zen :3) for the consecutive logins thing or anything related to STO :smile:

From looking at the 7/8 counter on the screenshot, though, that looks like a one-time thing. O.o

But to create accounts on games that I never tried anyway, with my vote already cast on STO? Uh... I'm inclined to say "nope".

I also wonder how this will affect the dilithium exchange, but @ the moment it sounds negligible.

Still, glad that the arc client is getting upgrades. Hope there are some under-the-hood optimizations as well.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • rebuilthk47rebuilthk47 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Confused Statement: I don't understand why some of you meatbags complain about it using up system resources as if it slows down your computer until it's unusable. It opens very fast and I have no issues with it.

Recommendation: If it's that bad on your computer, then that is on you for having such a poor PC. It's long past time to do some upgrading.

Amused Statement: I mean really, I'm running an overclocked and unlocked (to quad) Phenom II X2 965 BE, 8GB or RAM, a R9 280X TRI-X, and play STO (~25-30 fps) and SWTOR (60fps) at the same time with Chrome and 30 tabs open. Definitely not high end stuff. And it took a measily two seconds to start up with both games going at full graphics (well, sto has bad code so mostly full graphics). And the client. The client is really really small. The installation folder is only 167MB.

Mockery: Wow. So much space taken up. Oh my!

Informative: So your "it takes up HDD space and system resources" argument is very invalid.

Suggestion: ~EDITED BY MEATBAG ASKRAY~

Offer: I know several methods to achieve this. *charges rifle*
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    So 0.5 zen a day if you do the 3 quests? How will I ever spend this bounty? ;)

Its like being north korean rich
    Confused Statement: I don't understand why some of you meatbags complain about it using up system resources as if it slows down your computer until it's unusable. It opens very fast and I have no issues with it.

Uh huh. Tell all three of my computers that. When I run it the memory usage skyrockets to 78 - 82% with nothing else running within minutes. That is on all of them, so don't tell me its a computer issue.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    Love the HK posting style rebuilthk47, just lets not insult in the same process heh.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Even with the dil exchange the way it is now, I can easily get over double that in a single day's dil grinding. No thanks.

Agree. Arc quest rewards must be comparabe to zen grind rate in STO and other games. Otherwise people will spend time grinding zen in their games, since it would be a more efficient time investment.

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    But insulting people with miniscule brains is so incredibly fun! The best part is they don't even know they've been insulted half the time. LOL
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Keep it civil, people. :)
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    It should be instructive to PWE that if you need to bribe players to use ARC, it's probably not that useful or attractive in the first place. As long as the STO native launcher works, I'll have nothing to do with the ARC site, except to buy ZEN. Force me to use ARC, and I will no longer buy ZEN at all... :s
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    My one and only question is whether using Arc remains optional.

Conspiracy theory ahead: I wonder if this is why Mac Client support is being dropped. Arc isn't on the Mac and it will soon be mandatory to run PWE games...

Yeah, I hope not. I still enjoy aspects of this game, but if 'Arc 3.' becomes mandatory, I'm 100% gone. (Star Citizen's shaping up nicely too; so I won't be missing much in the sense of having something I enjoy playing.) Will miss some fleetmates though if Arc becomes mandatory.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    If Arc became mandatory where would that leave the remaining MAC customer base who don't/can't/won't use bootcamp or pay for something like parallels and use emulators like a Wine wrapper or playonmac ect ?
  • nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Thanks, but no thanks. I got Steam, and that's enough for me. The gimmick here is not tempting enough to use Arc. I deleted that platform some time ago.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    I'm still happy using Steam, thanks.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Just... no! It says quite a bit "to me at least", when a company bribes its customers to use their product in this way, and the bribe isn't even worth it IMO.

Aside from CO and STO, I have no desire to play any other games from PW and/or Cryptic. Because of this, I also have no desire to run Arc, and won't reinstall it even with the bribes.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    But insulting people with miniscule brains is so incredibly fun! The best part is they don't even know they've been insulted half the time. LOL

You just cannot let a day go by without insulting somebody on the forums, can you? If my posts needed constant moderation for name calling I would probably change my vocabulary or people would call ME stupid.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    If I could just play STO and earn these rewards, I'd be okay with that since it's the only game I play. Well, aside from Champions Online every Blue Moon.

Anyway, the way I'm seeing it is I would have to download and play other PW games in order to "level up" to earn the points to turn into Zen. Well, that's not going to happen. None of the other games PW has interest me in the slightest, hence why I'm not already playing them.

However, this system is NOT a bad thing and I'm actually glad to see them put something like this in. It simply isn't for me (much like ARC itself) and therefore will get zero use from me.

For those who enjoy other PW games this is a nice bonus and I hope that things like this catch on with more publishers.
    I'm curious if it will give quests related to games you don't have. If it doesn't then GREAT! Otherwise I will use the skip task feature to skip tasks related to games I don't play.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User

Cool, because that image is super misleading. Cheers for clearing that up.