test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No more crew? Cryptic, you sly dogs!

I've often complained that the crew mechanic makes flying big ships a bit of a chore for non-engineers. Imagine my surprise that they've hidden such a fantastic announcement in an unrelated post about the skills reform!

I look forward to dusting off my bortasqu' to give it a whirl and, if all goes well, I may even think about buying the T6 set!
Q9BWcdD.png

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    And it only took them 6yrs to admit they couldn't fix that mechanic into something useful.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    My ship had a crew? When? HOW? all.i ever saw was 6 people in a small room with a window otherwise I was flying and making things explode!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    My crew spent most of the time Dying according to that meter anyway.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    I think they should have changed it to a bit of a role playing thing. Have a little crew window that gives the status of what's going on on your ship with your crew. It's wouldn't affect stats, but could be a fun little diversion. Not everything needs to be designed make things blow up faster.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    My crew spent most of the time Dying according to that meter anyway.

Dying and then slowly resurrecting. This was most cruel in a fighter with 2 crew, since they'd come back to life in tiny fractions. It must have been excruciating.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Will be strange to fly cruisers with more than 6 people on board. :D
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    We never needed a crew before.
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    I remember the time when I was actually trying to take care of my crew, with consoles and stuff ;)
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I remember the time when I was actually trying to take care of my crew, with consoles and stuff ;)

I still do. I have UR Biofunction and Force Field consoles. Keeps hull regen and general ship effectiveness up, thus playing to my preferred style of outlasting my opponents.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    Well yeah, I understand that some builds can benefit from these consoles, especially at UR but I imagine most do sacrifice a lot in other areas, like damage output (uni consoles pushing crtD and grav) or fleet science consoles and what not. Also, if I really needed a "tank", the boff leadership trait, personal hull reg traits, Borg and kobali two piece bonus and/or dyson shield was more than enough for most situations really. There is also a ground doff for space crew recovery afaik.

Anyway, I just wished that this crew mechanic would have actually WAI at some point in time, across the board though.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Wow. Walking through the ship will be like "The Mark of Gideon."
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    proteusblackproteusblack Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    lopequil wrote: »
    I've often complained that the crew mechanic makes flying big ships a bit of a chore for non-engineers. Imagine my surprise that they've hidden such a fantastic announcement in an unrelated post about the skills reform!

I look forward to dusting off my bortasqu' to give it a whirl and, if all goes well, I may even think about buying the T6 set!

I'm attempting to find that discussion but failing. Could someone link it here please?
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    It's in the news article about the skill revamp. Top of the list in the launcher.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    vifarcvifarc Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Crew is essential in a ship, it must be a usefull concept ingame. It was no well designed but at least it was present. I was confident to be well fixed (it could get experience, quality, speciality from race, etc). I'm so disappointed with the devs.
    What will they remove next?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    vifarc wrote: »
    Crew is essential in a ship, it must be a usefull concept ingame. It was no well designed but at least it was present. I was confident to be well fixed (it could get experience, quality, speciality from race, etc). I'm so disappointed with the devs.
    Crew is in the game. Bridge Officers and Duty Officers are your crew.
    Whatever they feel appropriate.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ajalenajalen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    My ship had a crew? When? HOW? all.i ever saw was 6 people in a small room with a window otherwise I was flying and making things explode!

try visit "crew deck" lol , you'll find there lazy crew that uses the transporter even for walks through the boat
    mzspQIG.jpg

• Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    another 12 years and ship interior might have a purpose
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »

Nice quote from the "Remember Me" episode. :)
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »

try stepping out of your bridge and go to the other areas of the ship, theres more to a starship then just bridge officers.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    as much as id love to have seen the crew mechanic improved there were just WAY to many weapons and abuilitys that just decimated your crew compliment and they were useualy dead withing the first half a minute of a fight for whatever reason, and the impact of having a full compliment was just so minute that it just felt pointless really, besides DOFF's are your crew surely.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    vifarc wrote: »

I'm happy to see it go. My head canon is that our ships contain very advanced technology and materials that are either self-healing or that our ship's computer is able to restore our hulls with advanced nanobots (something similar to the Nanite health monitor, but for ships). This would then explain why our ship can be nearing total breakdown one moment and be fully restored a few seconds later.

Crew, and the fact that hull repair was influenced by it, messed up this only explanation for the dynamics in space battles that I can think of. I'd say it's a good thing that we don't need to worry about our crew anymore.
  • Options
    keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    All my crew seem to do was die and then breed at an alarming rate to replace the crew members that died.​​
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    kelador wrote: »
    All my crew seem to do was die and then breed at an alarming rate to replace the crew members that died.​​

Seems like your whole crew consits of tribbles. :D
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Nothing sly about it, they said specifically they were getting rid of it with the Skills Revamp. They could never get it to work properly anyway. I believe they are reworking to add an increase in Repair stats instead.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I only said sly because I hadn't heard about the proposed change and didn't expect to see such an announcement in the middle of an unrelated article. I understand that they will just make hull healing what it would be at full crew all the time.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »

BONUS POINTS!!!

<3
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • Options
    fanboy3kfanboy3k Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I don't mind the mechanic being removed. While it was a nice idea it never seemed to really work. That said, I wish they would have retained a crew entry on the ship status screen to atleast indicate the ships intended crew compliment. Any curious captains must do a search on the internet to find this information if it's even available.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    minions-despicable-me-2-wallpapers-desktop-backgrounds-36.jpg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    fanboy3k wrote: »
    I don't mind the mechanic being removed. While it was a nice idea it never seemed to really work. That said, I wish they would have retained a crew entry on the ship status screen to atleast indicate the ships intended crew compliment. Any curious captains must do a search on the internet to find this information if it's even available.

Indeed, it removes a lot of "fluff" from the game. The crew gave a sense of scale - mind you, shortly before they removed the mechanic all new ships had 1000+ crew anyway since we went the way of supercruisers only. But still, I miss it and still wish they would have done soemthing with it instead of just removing it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
This discussion has been closed.